• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

thefro

Yeah, I'd rather see NES Remix 2 before SNES Remix.

Newer games, competitive play with a friend (you're both doing the same challenge at the same time on split screen or TV/gamepad split and going for the fastest time), Wiimote support, improved Miiverse/leaderboards.

A lot they could add.

Downhome

Haha, I was actually thinking about that when making my post. In any case, I think Nintendo would be able to work something out if they included that game.

They could just have an icon of ROB on the screen simulating it, or they could flat out make him the on screen character.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
New Review, from Voxel Arcade

NES Remix is a superb download release that not only pushes the little NES beauties to new and experienced gamers, but does it with such a simple yet addictive style that you wonder what took Nintendo so long. In fact, it is so effective at showcasing Nintendo’s back catalogue that I think it should be installed on every Wii U at retail, or pushed out to every Wii U with enough space for free, like Ninty are doing with Wii Sports
It is hard to find fault with this, and if you are a fan of the NES but refuse to pay the high prices in the Wii U eShop, then this is a great way to enjoy the games in a legit way without resorting to emulators. Even if you own all of the included games, this still comes recommended as a great new way to play them.

Insanely addictive, get it now.

sakipon

Is there really no toggle for Miiverse posts? I enabled them to check out the feature, but now I don't want the Miiverse feature in the game. I can't find any option for it anywhere, manual isn't helping. Atleast in Super Luigi U it's easy to toggle on and off (I like to keep Miiverse on sometimes but not always).

Roto13

Man, I'm having an alarming amount of trouble with Remix II - 18. I've never had this much trouble with the Pinball bonus stage before.

EDIT: There we go. Rainbow stars. *pelvic thrust*

rawk

Not only is this addictive, but I bet it would be a great game for kids just getting into video games. The first levels of every game are like video game training wheels.

Def Jukie

I think I'm going to buy this on Christmas morning as a gift to myself. It looks really fun and I'm pretty excited to check it out. I would love to see more of these from Nintendo. Imagine a third party focused NES Remix with Mega Man, Castlevania, Contra, Bionic Commando, Ninja Gaiden, etc. They should get Sega to do a some of these too.

I wonder if this was what Nintendo meant when they said they wanted to expand the Virtual Console? Nothing else they have done recently would really indicate that and this seems like a good way to get people to try games that are on the service and maybe buy the full game if they liked it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Not quite, but you can post your scores to Miiverse and they'll show up next to the levels.
Thanks for the info. I wonder why they didnt include online leaderboards. It seems like a perfect fit for this game. The game(s) itself looks pretty cool i think, and having online leaderboards would extend the replay value :)

Razlo

zlCfzRQq45wx7N4z3F

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Thanks for the info. I wonder why they didnt include online leaderboards. It seems like a perfect fit for this game.
The company that still puts some of its best studios working on simple arcade games doesn't bother with leaderboards. This is a shame. Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Game & Wario, Wii Fit U, etc. all scream for a more convenient way than miiverse to check scores :-/

I do feel kind of bothered that several of the games feel just... like something I wouldn't want to play. Tennis, Pinball, Baseball, Urban Champion. Why not Metroid? Zelda II? SMB2 or 3? Kirby's Adventure? Or heck, why not go crazy and get Castlevania, Contra, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Double Dragon, or what have you? This is NES Remix after all, not Nintendo Remix.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I do feel kind of bothered that several of the games feel just... like something I wouldn't want to play. Tennis, Pinball, Baseball, Urban Champion.

Well, three of the games you mentioned don't have many challenges anyway, and I thought Pinball fit well enough, though it's a bit hard to play for a good time.

daevv

The music on the website brought me back to a simpler time. I may have to get this at some point....I may have to get a WiiU at some point too...

DrLazy

The company that still puts some of its best studios working on simple arcade games doesn't bother with leaderboards. This is a shame. Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Game & Wario, Wii Fit U, etc. all scream for a more convenient way than miiverse to check scores :-/

I couldn't agree more. You know what's crazy? Pikmin 2 has pretty fantastic leaderboards. Way way better done than most games. Although even that doesn't have leaderboards that connect with your friends list. That's what I really want added.

lt519

Any one find out about toggling the miiverse posts, I accidentally hit no and want them ):

Neat idea, just scratched the surface but I'm definitely enjoying it already. But it does make me want to go buy excitebike! Good marketing tool.

I do feel kind of bothered that several of the games feel just... like something I wouldn't want to play. Tennis, Pinball, Baseball, Urban Champion. Why not Metroid? Zelda II? SMB2 or 3? Kirby's Adventure? Or heck, why not go crazy and get Castlevania, Contra, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Double Dragon, or what have you? This is NES Remix after all, not Nintendo Remix.

Probably because they didn't know how well it would do. If the glowing reviews here are anything to go by, it's going to be a nice hit for Nintendo, and hopefully we'll see the concept expanded.

LaserHawk

Is anybody else experiencing input lag with this game?

I didn't notice to much with some of the games because Mario Bros. and a few others had stiff controls already, but it's really evident in Super Mario Bros. It feels like my jumps happen a moment after I press the jump button. I used to be able to dance across the tops of pipes with ease, and in NES Remix I keep falling down a lot and even getting killed by simple enemies because it feels like the controls are sluggish.

I plugged in my old NES and found Super Mario Bros. controls to be just as sharp and responsive as I expected. I don't think it's just me. And of course I can't switch controllers.

Am I the only person experiencing this? I don't seem to hear about it here on GAF or in any reviews.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This is the only way they could have ever gotten me to finally spend money on Urban Champion.

Well played, Iwata.

I didn't notice to much with some of the games because Mario Bros. and a few others had stiff controls already, but it's really evident in Super Mario Bros. It feels like my jumps happen a moment after I press the jump button. I used to be able to dance across the tops of pipes with ease, and in NES Remix I keep falling down a lot and even getting killed by simple enemies because it feels like the controls are sluggish.

I plugged in my old NES and found Super Mario Bros. controls to be just as sharp and responsive as I expected. I don't think it's just me. And of course I can't switch controllers.

Am I the only person experiencing this? I don't seem to hear about it here on GAF or in any reviews.
I had the exact same impression (posted earlier), but I don't want to say too much on it one way or the other without actually doing a proper test. I've been playing lots of Mario games lately, but it's been a minute since I spent some quality time with SMB1.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I also felt like the controls were slightly sluggish. I'm playing on a semi-laggy LCD right now, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but even so... seems a little bit slow.

That said, I've been playing Mario 3D World and NSMBU lately, so my frame of reference for how Mario games should play is a little warped right now.

orborborb

Oh it's obviously laggier than the real hardware, they have to emulate the game and then layer some other stuff on top of it. But it's no worse than any other emulator running on a console hooked to an HDTV. It's actually slightly too much lag for me on the Gamepad which adds two frames, but it's playable on my only-one-frame-of-lag HDTV.

Just bought this. Interesting that there's a link to the eShop right on the game. As if the game having DLC wasn't an obvious addition to begin with...

Kirby's Adventure and Metroid plz

rawk

Just hit 300 stars. Had to force myself to stop playing again.

When I was counting up remaining possible NES games for DLC or NES Remix 2, I forgot about SMB2 USA being different from SMB2 Japan. I suppose they could include both!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't believe I doubted this game. Amazing fun.

There was a miiverse post in the Excitebike section that popped up on my game just now saying 'Excitebite sucks".

43940182.jpg

I feel like going all "get off my lawn!" at that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's probably the easiest one to do it for but I've gotten all rainbows in Pinball!

This game is great value. You probably get more out of these bite sized challenges than you do buying the individual roms especially with games like Donkey Kong.

DrZeus

Awesome OT title!

This game seems more interesting the more I see/hear about it.

Will keep my eyes for it when I get a Wii U.

Top Bottom