• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
These "minigames" seem to just be... the entire NES game. Some of the Zelda challenges are set to 300 seconds and aren't in a closed off area, and you can often wander through the entire dungeon/overworld.

Totally badass.

These "minigames" seem to just be... the entire NES game. Some of the Zelda challenges are set to 300 seconds and aren't in a closed off area, and you can often wander through the entire dungeon/overworld.

Totally badass.

It's probably just a custom NES emulator with special hooks built in to modify the games.

So for example when you play as Luigi in a mirrored level 1-2, they just load up a RAM state that includes the level you're on, number of lives, which player is playing, whether you're big or small or fiery etc., and then just executes from there. And rendering it mirrored is pretty trivial.

jakomocha

Next up... SNES Remix.
And then N64 Remix. And then Gamecube Remix. And then Wii Remix. PLEASE NINTENDO! PLEASE!

So, is this game worth it? I've got $10 in Nintendo coins due to their promotion, so I'd only have to spend $5. Alternatively, I could use that money to get Deus Ex: HR Director's Cut (I've never played any of the Deus Ex games before) at a discount. I wasn't around during the NES "era" so nostalgia isn't a huge point for me or anything. I do love the original SMB and other NES classics though.

Jak140

Next up... SNES Remix.
And then N64 Remix. And then Gamecube Remix. And then Wii Remix. PLEASE NINTENDO! PLEASE!

So, is this game worth it? I've got $10 in Nintendo coins due to their promotion, so I'd only have to spend $5. Alternatively, I could use that money to get Deus Ex: HR Director's Cut (I've never played any of the Deus Ex games before) at a discount. I wasn't around during the NES "era" so nostalgia isn't a huge point for me or anything. I do love the original SMB and other NES classics though.
If you think this is something you would enjoy, don't hesitate to get it. They could have easily sold this as a retail release for $30 and it would have still been worth it, IMO. There is a significant amount of content and it finds a solid middle ground between Wario Ware and distilling the gameplay of the NES classic games. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, it often reveals gameplay depth that you didn't realize existed in the original games, particularly if you aim for scores good enough to earn the rainbow stars. The miiverse integration is also enjoyable and levels and stamps are constantly unlocking.

Well. Deus Ex HR DC is a long and brilliant game, and if you can get it for $15, just go for it. Especially if you like stealth games. But NES Remix is also worth it, so if you can get both, do it.

vanty

The Miiverse implementation is quite lacking when you compare it to 3D World. Posts are only tied to specific stages on the stage select screen not with the a "Balloon Fight stage 4" marker within the post so the community is all posts with no context. Plus you can't do anything with the posts that appear next to a stage either except Yeah them, so no selecting them for responses or anything.

The 20 minutes or so I've played so far have been fun, only gotten rainbow stars on the first Excitebike stage, but 3 stars seems to be very easy so that everyone can unlock all the games leaving the rainbows as the actual "you did well" indicator.

How strange by the way that in Australia this is $13 AUD which seems to be cheaper than anywhere else in the world. Not bad at all.

The 20 minutes or so I've played so far have been fun, only gotten rainbow stars on the first Excitebike stage, but 3 stars seems to be very easy so that everyone can unlock all the games leaving the rainbows as the actual "you did well" indicator.

I noticed that the SMB stages are more difficult than the rest, when it comes to getting 3 stars. It's almost like Nintendo expects everyone to remember SMB1 level 1 layout and enemy positions by heart.

zroid

Banned
The Miiverse implementation is quite lacking when you compare it to 3D World. Posts are only tied to specific stages on the stage select screen not with the a "Balloon Fight stage 4" marker within the post so the community is all posts with no context. Plus you can't do anything with the posts that appear next to a stage either except Yeah them, so no selecting them for responses or anything.

Indeed, I was surprised they didn't at least auto-tag the posts with the level.

Sucks you can't comment from in-game, but fortunately if you Yeah it, it's easy to track the post down in Miiverse by checking your Yeah history.

I just realised: this game is similiar to Nintendo World Championships for NES.
In it, they used short parts of 3 different games with new goals (e.g. collected a certain number of coins in Super Mario Bros.). You couldn't beat the games, it was just for high scores.

The AVGN made a video about it. Check it out if you're curious, I thought it was pretty funny and informative.

The GCCX episode for this is so good!

iNevN6PsSz3mu.gif

lol, best episode I've seen in awhile.

jakomocha

Well. Deus Ex HR DC is a long and brilliant game, and if you can get it for $15, just go for it. Especially if you like stealth games. But NES Remix is also worth it, so if you can get both, do it.

I think Deus Ex: HR DC would be $40 with my $10 discount, which is still $10 more than the 360/PS3 versions and $20 more than the PC versions (although I can't get it on PC, I only own a Mac). NES Remix would be $5 for me with the discount.

Dremark

Banned
Very clever op title. I saw this game in an email from Ninty a little while ago. I just got a WiiU so this may end up being my first DL game.

I'm loving this game. I love my NES (which still works all these years later) and the challenges that I've played so far have all been great (I'm taking it slow, getting 3 shiny stars on each level). I can see me sinking a whole ton of time into this game over the next few weeks/months. The only thing I'd have wanted added (bar maybe Mario 3 representation from Nintendo) is 3rd party NES releases from the likes of Capcom and Konami. Any of the Megaman games in this game would have rocked.

Nosgoroth

Played it until about 35 stars yesterday, and is this game dangerously addictive or is it just me? It's like a more varied, NES-style version of NSMBU Challenge Mode.

Tiu Neo

Got some pretty fun remixes yesterday. But I hate the Run Mario/Run Luigi ones. D:

Also, unlocked Zelda. YESSSSS.

Any tips on getting 10 1ups on the turtle shell?

Ive never used the exploit before. I keep stopping at 8.

To me, it looks like a bit of luck is involved. I stopped pressing A after the first one up, and got it.

This is absolutely splendid. I've gone through obsessively replaying stages before moving on to the next and with the exception of Excitebike I've enjoyed every one. It really is crying out for proper leaderboards but integrating the miiverse posts with players' best times is a nice touch.

I agree about stamps causing a flood of less creative miiverse posts but people do at least seem to be having fun with it and the creative posts are still there too. I do much prefer them to achievements.

Robin64

A shame the game highlights what a steaming pile of shit Mario Bros. is! Worst controls ever. Glad they refined Mario over the years.

jdforge

Banned
Bought this last night and couldn't put it down. It's very addictive and I've been obsessing over perfecting each level before proceeding.

Eusis

A shame the game highlights what a steaming pile of shit Mario Bros. is! Worst controls ever. Glad they refined Mario over the years.
Yeah, this collection is highlighting how old NES games were honestly kind of a bitch to control. I guess that's actually another similarity with where iOS/Android currently are... except I think even with pure touch control some of those really do control way better than the likes of Mario Bros did.

And I hope they patch in support for other controllers, because for a riff on NES games it's kind of crazy to depend on that giant Game Pad.

soooo...

star rating (1,2,3, Rainbow)is ONLY a matter of time and nothing else?

I think so. I've certainly had a few after losing a heart. You can only get one star if you continue after losing three hearts, though.

My Donkey Kong Jr challenge time, the four stage one stating with grabbing the parasol, is after dying twice on the last section. A subsequent, near-perfect run had a slower time. I think maybe losing a heart resets your time, like a complete retry.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Oh wow, I did not realize that the Cheep Cheep Bridge level forces you to run automatically until I had already failed a few times, haha.

EDIT: Does this game feel a little laggy to anyone else?

Top Bottom