• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally got all
stars, at least I think that's all. I wonder if getting all rainbow stars will give you anything.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Man I just realized I have no idea how the 1-up trick works in the original SMB. It's different in Lost Levels and every game that came after it.

i finally get the appeal of this game after watching some videos. these challenges help teach you how to play the games while also affirming your retro gaming skills. it never feels like a tutorial though and more like the essence of competitive classic gaming.

i was put off bc i thought it was like those flash ROMS but i think 15$ is still too expensive. 10$ and im in.

its like warioware + the wizard + nintendo world championships + achievements trophies. nintendo can potentially bring back NWC with these types of games.

i finally get the appeal of this game after watching some videos. these challenges help teach you how to play the games while also affirming your retro gaming skills. it never feels like a tutorial though and more like the essence of competitive classic gaming.

i was put off bc i thought it was like those flash ROMS but i think 15$ is still too expensive. 10$ and im in.

its like warioware + the wizard + nintendo world championships + achievements trophies. nintendo can potentially bring back NWC with these types of games.

It is absolutely worth $15. Don't put off buying it for the sake of $5, it's worth every cent.

Like I posted a few pages ago...

NES Remix has 16 NES games and each one has 10-25 challenges associated with it. That works out to 94 cents per game, or 4 to 10 cents per challenge.

Compare that to WarioWare Smooth Moves on Wii, which had 205 microgames and initially retailed at $50. At that price each microgame cost about 25 cents. Even if you were able to score that game for half price, it still wouldn't be as good a deal as NES Remix!

You compared it to WarioWare yourself. It's a better value than that!

Rocky

Banned
I don't get how these timers work. I start with 100 secs, I finish a challenge with say 75 secs left but the game says my clear time is 0:17.2. Shouldn't it be 25 secs? It's confusing.

Also, how the hell do you do the very first challenge in under 20 secs to get rainbow stars? My best time is 22 secs, and that's running all the way. Are there hidden "tricks" or something to quickly beat a challenge?

Sixfortyfive

It's weird how this is kind of an elaborate marketing ploy for the Virtual Console.

Best-made commercial for most poorly-handled service I've ever seen.

Also makes the absence of Challenge Mode in SM3DW all the more apparent.

Storm360

First purchase on the Wii U E-shop, I feel dirty, I hate nintendo's digital system

Also, The E-Shop music is WAY too loud!

I don't get how these timers work. I start with 100 secs, I finish a challenge with say 75 secs left but the game says my clear time is 0:17.2. Shouldn't it be 25 secs? It's confusing.

Also, how the hell do you do the very first challenge in under 20 secs to get rainbow stars? My best time is 22 secs, and that's running all the way. Are there hidden "tricks" or something to quickly beat a challenge?

Yeah. I got 14 or something seconds on that one. I'll spoiler it, but it's just kind of stupid:

when you kill the you kill the goomba after the koopa troopa slow down; the next group of two then one goomba will be two and two instead, taking you to 15 kills. I guess it's something to do with how many goombas the game will have on screen at a time; that last goomba won't be there if you're too fast and the dying goombas from before are still showing

Storm360

somehow the winterholiday themed song is way louder than the normal eshop music.

I hate Nintendo's digital system,so I've only been in the store a few times, I don't remember any old music, but man, when the whole sound system is turned up that was not a pleasant suprise.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
First review? 9/10

It would be simple to write off NES Remix as something only die-hard retro gamers would enjoy, but developer indies zero is really on to something here — the 200+ challenges are short enough to be interesting and fun to replay, but not long enough to outstay their welcome. The developer has even somehow managed to make challenges based on games like Urban Champion and Baseball fun to play, which is an achievement in itself. If you're the type who likes to relentlessly collect stuff, the stars and stamps will also keep you entertained for quite a while.

Perhaps if this becomes a success, we could see a sequel with more NES games, or even SNES games? One can only hope — but for the time being, this totally unexpected surprise ranks as one of the Wii U eShop's most engaging and downright enjoyable downloadable titles.

Storm360

Oh man, I can tell this is gonna be a timesink, I hope that they do SNES and N64 versions though, then release a really nice retail set.

Storm360

Man. this game is tough, maybe it's due to being a SEGA kid and not knowing all the tricks but I'm already having some difficulty.

zroid

Banned
It's weird how this is kind of an elaborate marketing ploy for the Virtual Console.

It really is. There's an eShop link right in there which takes you directly to all 16 games, which are conveniently available for individual purchase.

First purchase on the Wii U E-shop, I feel dirty, I hate nintendo's digital system

You feel that way now, but soon you'll just be happy you stopped worrying about it, and enjoy playing games. :)

We've all been there!

Storm360

It really is. There's an eShop link right in there which takes you directly to all 16 games, which are conveniently available for individual purchase.

You feel that way now, but soon you'll just be happy you stopped worrying about it, and enjoy playing games. :)

We've all been there!

I'm still feeling guilty about it now! ha

Any advice for SMB 15 anyone? (Enter a pipe) Can not get sub 34 for the life of me.

Robin64

Yes. The jumping in SMB levels just seems a little bit off.

Could be the new TV and not really being used to the gamepad for 2D stuff though. Why no classic controller support?

See if you've got a Game setting on your set. You want to get it at the same latency as the pad and a lot of people have TVs that lag behind it.

Ban Puncher

Bought it a few hours ago and couldn't stop playing.

r71Ip.gif

Dinosur

See if you've got a Game setting on your set. You want to get it at the same latency as the pad and a lot of people have TVs that lag behind it.

Yeah, I turned it on and didn't notice a difference. I mean, it's not awful or anything, just trying to do quick jump successions doesn't feel that responsive. I've 3 starred everything up to like 174 stars, so it's obviously playable.

Could just be SMB. I mean I've played it a billion times but never tried speed running or anything like the challenges have you attempting. I also have one of those silicon skins for the gamepad which I'm starting to think might cover the face buttons too much.

Storm360

I'm starting to think this challenge is impossible. (SMB 15)

I'm getting into the first pipe with 347 on the timer, the second level i'm really inconsistent at and the third I feel could be faster, as I'm waiting around the for the flame a bit.

EDIT: and BOOM, 3 stars, this game is so rewarding

Exile20

Bestbuy is having a 20% off sale on eshop cards on Sunday.

I definitely felt a different in jumping off the last pixel of a platform on my TV versus the gamepad. I definitely have a very slight lag on the TV; no problem at all on the gamepad.

Penguin

Yes. The jumping in SMB levels just seems a little bit off.

Could be the new TV and not really being used to the gamepad for 2D stuff though. Why no classic controller support?

Could also try playing on the controller and see if it makes a difference.

Edit
And beaten!

rawk

Are there 16 unused NES games made by Nintendo and released internationally and that they hold all the rights to (no Popeye, no Mother, no Rare games), so that they could make NES Remix 2 with an all-new line up of games? I would imagine that's more likely than SNES Remix.

Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Zelda 2
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Dr. Mario
Yoshi
Kirby
Wario's Woods
Punch Out!!
Yoshi's Cookie
NES Open Golf
Pro Wrestling

After this I'm drawing a blank, but I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to fill 3 more slots.

Camjo-Z

Wow I just now noticed that each game's menu music gets funkier when you get all 3 stars on every challenge. That's a cool touch.

Sixfortyfive

I know that my setup doesn't lag because I'm not even playing on an HDTV. I'm playing on the same processing-free capture card that I hook my retro systems into, and if I wasn't playing on this, I'd be playing on a lag-free computer monitor. (I don't see myself ever buying an HDTV for gaming. Why pay more for worse results?)

I'd need to dust off the old consoles to actually confirm though. Might just be rust. Or my computer might be randomly fucking up. I dunno.

We've all been there!
In all my years on the Wii, I've bought a grand total of 6 Virtual Console games: 5 imports plus 1 game that had been patched in a significant way that I wanted to investigate. It's not even an issue with Nintendo specifically, really. I never go digital when I have the original or equivalent physical option available to me unless it's just a matter of supporting the release on principle.

NES Remix might have been my fastest impulse purchase ever, though. All I heard was "NSMBU Challenge Mode applied to a dozen NES games" and was like "ok bought." Would have probably thrown down for $30.

Robin64

Are there 16 unused NES games made by Nintendo and released internationally and that they hold all the rights to (no Popeye, no Mother, no Rare games), so that they could make NES Remix 2 with an all-new line up of games? I would imagine that's more likely than SNES Remix.

Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Zelda 2
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Dr. Mario
Yoshi
Kirby
Wario's Woods
Punch Out!!
Yoshi's Cookie
NES Open Golf
Pro Wrestling

After this I'm drawing a blank, but I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to fill 3 more slots.

Off the top of my head... Gyromite, Soccer, 10-Yard Fight, Devil World, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Mother.

rawk

Off the top of my head... Gyromite, Soccer, 10-Yard Fight, Devil World, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Mother.

How could I forget about Duck Hunt??

Don't think they would include Mother because it never came out in America, so they're not going to put it on the eshop here. Same with Devil World. Same with Star Tropics, but in reverse.

Does Gyromite require ROB?

Fess

This is seriously addictive, I've been playing for hours today, only two games left to get three star on everything then I'll dive into the Remix I,II,Bonus levels. Most fun I've had in a long time!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does Gyromite require ROB?
Technically, no. You can control what ROB is suppose to do by plugging a normal NES controller into the 2nd port & hitting the B & A buttons yourself (or having a friend do it).

Top Bottom