• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

Tom_Cody

I do feel kind of bothered that several of the games feel just... like something I wouldn't want to play. Tennis, Pinball, Baseball, Urban Champion. Why not Metroid? Zelda II? SMB2 or 3? Kirby's Adventure? Or heck, why not go crazy and get Castlevania, Contra, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Double Dragon, or what have you? This is NES Remix after all, not Nintendo Remix.
I think everyone is fully expecting a sequel. The omissions of Metroid and Kid Icarus would seem to make clear.

Good call with the 3rd party stuff though. I love this format so much. I hope they continue to make more of these.

rpmurphy

zlCfzRQq45wx7N4z3F
I saw this yesterday. lol

test_account

XP-39C²
The company that still puts some of its best studios working on simple arcade games doesn't bother with leaderboards. This is a shame. Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Game & Wario, Wii Fit U, etc. all scream for a more convenient way than miiverse to check scores :-/
It would be interesting to know/ask Nintendo why they dont include online leaderboards. They are very capable of doing it technically, so that isnt a problem at least.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Pinball level 6 was pissing me off because I kept getting over a minute. I would get the ball to go up where I wanted but it wasn't strong enough to get the last one up there. After a bunch more tries I got it in 6.x seconds and got the rainbow stars. Now that I've gotten rainbow stars on all 6 levels I never want to see another level with Pinball again.

Penguin

It would be interesting to know/ask Nintendo why they dont include online leaderboards. They are very capable of doing it technically, so that isnt a problem at least.

I was debating that this week..
And only thing I could possibly think of is they don't want to turn off certain people who probably would never crack an online leaderboard.

sort of... don't alienate part of your fanbase... it is perplexing

Can't even compare with friends

Andrew.

Banned
It took Nintendo ages to get with the times with online play and they're still learning unfortuantley. I wouldn't expect them to bring on leaderboards anytime soon, if at all.

Roto13

They seem to want to keep things social, by posting scores on Miiverse. More interesting than a list of times, even if it doesn't let you see how you rank overall.

Copenap

It took Nintendo ages to get with the times with online play and they're still learning unfortuantley. I wouldn't expect them to bring on leaderboards anytime soon, if at all.
I would argue though that is not because they couldn't do simple online leaderboards but they just haven't found a way to do them right. Nintendo doesn't put features into games because they can, they only do so if they think it really adds something to the game.

Anilusion

I would argue though that is not because they couldn't do simple online leaderboards but they just haven't found a way to do them right. Nintendo doesn't put features into games because they can, they only do so if they think it really adds something to the game.

It's a game about getting a good score. That is seriously the only goal in this game. A simple leaderboard would add A LOT to the game.

Artorias

Banned
This game is amazing. I was playing it with a group of 5 last night, its pretty fun for a pass the controller party game. I wish they added multi so we didn't need the gamepad for everyone but its not a huge deal.

Andrew.

Banned

Truth

SuperPac

I agree. A worldwide leaderboard becomes most important to only a small % of the top scorers. A friend leaderboard becomes most important to only people who have any amount of NNID friends and followers. You leave a majority of players out. By bringing in Miiverse posts of people who have scored similarly or close to where you are can make a player of any skill feel like they have a shot at competing even if they really don't against the world at large.

Keep in mind we're talking about a game where some of the challenges are seconds-long. A leaderboard for each would cease to be meaningful there, really.

A better approach might be something like Pikmin 3's leaderboard where they show you a graph and where you land on that graph but you're not scrolling through thousands of pages of people's names and scores and can get a decent idea of how you compare versus the world. Again in the challenges where it's mostly fractions of a second this might not be interesting or useful data.

Look at it this way. Competing for the high score on an arcade machine at a local pizza joint is interesting because almost any player who tries the game has a shot for a single-digit spot. It's a small pool. Putting your initial in feels like a real win. With internet leaderboards, 95% of players won't have a chance in hell and may get discouraged because of it.

I feel like this is in line with their bias towards couch competition versus online play too. Backwards as it may be. :p

I agree. A worldwide leaderboard becomes most important to only a small % of the top scorers. A friend leaderboard becomes most important to only people who have any amount of NNID friends and followers. You leave a majority of players out. By bringing in Miiverse posts of people who have scored similarly or close to where you are can make a player of any skill feel like they have a shot at competing even if they really don't against the world at large.

Keep in mind we're talking about a game where some of the challenges are seconds-long. A leaderboard for each would cease to be meaningful there, really.

A better approach might be something like Pikmin 3's leaderboard where they show you a graph and where you land on that graph but you're not scrolling through thousands of pages of people's names and scores and can get a decent idea of how you compare versus the world. Again in the challenges where it's mostly fractions of a second this might not be interesting or useful data.

Look at it this way. Competing for the high score on an arcade machine at a local pizza joint is interesting because almost any player who tries the game has a shot for a single-digit spot. It's a small pool. Putting your initial in feels like a real win. With internet leaderboards, 95% of players won't have a chance in hell and may get discouraged because of it.

I feel like this is in line with their bias towards couch competition versus online play too. Backwards as it may be. :p

This is a really good post, and is probably not far off the mark.

Nicktals

Banned
Man, having a blast so far. It may get me to buy clu clu land and wrecking crew...2 NES games I've never played before.

zroid

Banned
zlCfzRQ0qt8PxHvRZ1

F U, game! I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS.
that is, telling me where the vine is after I failed to find it for a few seconds :<

This game's the real deal. Feels like a celebration of Nintendo and an amazing thing to have for the holidays. Nintendo games always put a smile on my face. For someone who has been playing these games since SMB 1, I don't think I have played at least half of these games. Stuff like Urban Champion and Pinball will be entirely new experiences for me.

Maybe it's just me but I find Miiverse a more encouraging means to keep trying for Rainbow Triple stars than a leaderboard. Besides that gradually there will be someone who breaks the game somehow and cheats their score to be something insane.

Find it more exciting to see someone go "WOW I DID IT" or "hey this is how you do this challenge" on Miiverse.

I think generally Nintendos feeling is that leaderboards can put off people when they see high achievers on top with crazy scores. It's more inclusive and "hey you can do it too!" to see what people have managed in general. Which kind of goes with their general thought on "Achievement" type things.

In a sneaky way NES Remix is like an introduction to "Nintendo Hard" games as most of the games are actually sort of like massive tutorials to these titles, while also being a nostalgic run thru Nintendo history for hardened NES fans.

zroid

Banned
Why can I not use my pro controller with this game. What.

There are a few bizarre omissions like that. For example, seemingly there's no place to turn Miiverse integration on/off except the first time you start the game. What?

It's a little weird. Nothing game breaking, but hopefully these things will get patched soon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Huh, Pinball at
stars. Thank goodness it's only 6 stages.

Edit: Hah, got a good chuckle out of Remix II-7's "gimmick", especially on the fourth part.

Are we attempting to do a communal breakdown of Rainbow times? I've got some I'm pleased with, and would be perfectly happy giving strategies.

Remix I-2: 0:21.9 (This one's pretty luck-based. Eventually you'll get a barrel pattern that doesn't kill you on any of the necessary ladders. Just climb up all of the most immediate ladders and jump over any barrels that are coming at you.)

Remix I-7: 0:12.3 (This one took me several tries. The trick is to upend the two most immediate shellcreepers on the (stage) right, and then when going up to kick them, upend the one immediately above you. If you can do this quickly enough, when you kick that one, the last will go into rage-mode and you should be able to upend it by dropping down both platforms before it hits the ground.)

Remix I-12: 0:18.5 (This one is really all above just taking them down as fast as possible. Don't let any get to the bottom and you'll be fine. Memorize their emergence pattern.)

Remix I-14: 0:21.5 (This one is again, luck-based. A good pattern will get you it without too much hassle.)

Remix I-17: 0:24.7 (This one isn't too bad if you can get all of the motions down. Climb up the ladders, jump across the platforms so that you can reach the platform with the ladder up to DK pretty much immediately. The bouncers may kill you. It's just a matter of getting lucky on that pattern too. The second part is a lot easier, but essentially the same thing.)

Remix I-19: 0:52.2 (I know as a FACT that the cutoff time is 52.5. This one is just vicious. Memorize the entire course, make sure you land every jump with NO bounces. If you do that, you'll get it. Otherwise, you won't.)

Remix I-21: 0:28.3 (Oh boy...this one is annoying. I believe the first two are fixed at stage left and stage right, so you can nail those two. After that, it's just making sure you hit the third one as you go up to kick. Preferably knocking it onto the center platform. Then just upend the last two and finish them off. It's easier if you do NOT enrage the last one.)

Remix I-22: 0:19.0 (This is the EXACT time required for a rainbow. (I did this one for two hours. 19.5 did not net me a rainbow. I hate this level. As far as strategies go: Pretty much always run, memorize the level, learn which areas you can skip and minimize your number of jumps. I personally would do something like "Jump, Jump/avoid or kill goomba, hit platform or land on area below, jump, jump, jump between the koopa troopa and the ? block, jump onto the high platform, run across the small gap platforms until I hit the middle one, jump onto the high platform with that, land on the stage right platform of the scale, jump onto the upper moving platform, running jump onto the upper platform, running jump onto the platform with two koopa troopas, jump over them, jump onto the moving platform, jump onto the stage right scale platform, jump to the flag." It's exactly as awful as it sounds.)

I've got a few for Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda too if we want to put this together...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So yeah, Pinball sucks because it feels WAY more based on luck than skill. Especially after playing Remix II-10. Ugh. Just glad I got a Rainbow rank on that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Golf at
Eeh, glad that's only 7 stages.

& NO MORE PINBALL. That felt way too based on luck, ESPECIALLY that damn last one.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally got all rainbow stars on the Remix I levels. Most are easy, but some of them are pretty hard, especially the Mario Bros. ones.

Are we attempting to do a communal breakdown of Rainbow times? I've got some I'm pleased with, and would be perfectly happy giving strategies.

I posted a few of my times earlier in the thread, if you want to compare.

Finally got all rainbow stars on the Remix I levels. Most are easy, but some of them are pretty hard, especially the Mario Bros. ones.

I posted a few of my times earlier in the thread, if you want to compare.

Yeah, I saw those, and it inspired me to post some of mine. I would not mind combining times with you so that we have a good list of times. (As opposed to waiting for a Miiverse post with rainbow stars to pop up)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yeah, I saw those, and it inspired me to post some of mine. I would not mind combining times with you so that we have a good list of times. (As opposed to waiting for a Miiverse post with rainbow stars to pop up)

I will make a post combining them tomorrow (I should really sleep) and add in the times I got since I last edited my old post.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Finished 3-starring everything today,
stars (
levels). Got all but three stamps, the point level to reach them seems impossible. Almost has to be some DLC on the way cause I can't understand how else you would be able to get enough points for those last three stamps.

Top Bottom