• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

Downhome

This is a case where I will openly say that any moron who gives it a low score like some of those is flat out wrong, period, opinion denied. It's not a super action game, but it is still one of my favorite games of the entire year, and it was just $15. Idiots.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Hayashida directed this and 3D World(though he said he wasn't THAT hands-on with 3D World), no idea what Koizumi is up to and this game probably wasn't what he meant.

This is the same game Koizumi (producer) and hayashida (director) were hinting at during Super Mario 3D World. Mystery solved.

Koizumi released 3 games this year under his team. Flipnote Studio 3D, Super Mario 3D World, and NES Remix. I think that's all she wrote until 2015. Unless an eventual NES Remix 2 hits us next year.

Pociask

Kung Fu was not actually from Nintendo. Only published.

It was from Irem, and considering that they recently died, and de-listed their digital content across various services, means that they are a shoe-in to never appear in this.

Not to mention that Kung Fu was originally based on Jackie Chan's Spartan-X/Meals on Wheels.

So basically, don't expect it.

1) That game was so awesome. Good memories.
2) The company may have died, but the copyright is out there somewhere. Hopefully somebody could buy it up cheap.

Ninja edit - also thanks GAF! This thread and the first thread helped me go from super skeptical to totally sold on the game. Will pick up at later date.

Kouriozan

This is a case where I will openly say that any moron who gives it a low score like some of those is flat out wrong, period, opinion denied. It's not a super action game, but it is still one of my favorite games of the entire year, and it was just $15. Idiots.

Totally agree, I feel the same.
It really was a nice surprise, so thanks Nintendo :)

Downhome

Any of you guys playing with no frame of reference whatsoever? I know that's highly unlikely here of all places, but I'd love to see some thoughts from people who have NEVER played any, or most, of the games included in this.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Kung Fu was not actually from Nintendo. Only published.

It was from Irem, and considering that they recently died, and de-listed their digital content across various services, means that they are a shoe-in to never appear in this.

Not to mention that Kung Fu was originally based on Jackie Chan's Spartan-X/Meals on Wheels.

So basically, don't expect it.

You are pretty wrong on this. Kung-Fu was a Famicom re-licensed port from Irem's Spartan game released in the arcades. Kung-Fu was developed in-house at Nintendo. There is even an Iwata's Ask where Miyamoto (designer), Kondo (sound), and Nakago (programmer) talk about their development roles on it. Irem didn't touch the Famicom version.

Downhome

I am loving the Kung-Fu love. That is one of the NES games that I poured more time in than a lot of other games when I was a kid. I played the crap out of it and it never got boring to me. I want a "dick punch 5 enemies in a row" challenge.

I think the one I want more than anything is Punch-Out. Give me a challenge at the end where it's just blatantly asking us to "BEAT MIKE TYSON/MR. DREAM" and then watch the tears flow from gamers around the world.

Everything on this list, other than the ones listed as Rare and Square, would be options, correct? It's too bad. I didn't even realize until that list that Rare was behind Cobra Triangle and R.C. Pro-AM, two of my favorite NES games ever!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...endo_Entertainment_System_.26_Family_Computer

But who knows, they may get others on board as well. We shall see!

Any of you guys playing with no frame of reference whatsoever? I know that's highly unlikely here of all places, but I'd love to see some thoughts from people who have NEVER played any, or most, of the games included in this.

Hadn't played the original Donkey Kong in years, but this has helped an itch deliver and I might end up downloading it on the 3DS. Amazing how a game that is 30 years old can still be so good.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Out of the games present, SMB1 is the only one that I know like the back of my hand. I never owned any of the others but I've played about half of them.

Zarovitch

I have an old reflex when i play Donkey Kong games, i push upper twice to climb the ladder faster like in the Coleco version.

ghibli99

Bought it and only played the first challenge, but I can tell this is going to be my kind of game. I expect to be thrilled and frustrated all at the same time. Gotta support Indieszero too!

rawk

Everything on this list, other than the ones listed as Rare and Square, would be options, correct? It's too bad. I didn't even realize until that list that Rare was behind Cobra Triangle and R.C. Pro-AM, two of my favorite NES games ever!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...endo_Entertainment_System_.26_Family_Computer

But who knows, they may get others on board as well. We shall see!

If they make NES Remix 2, I'd guess that it will only include games that might be released on the VC in all territories and have localized versions in those territories. So probably not Mother, probably not StarTropics, probably not Devil World, etc. I seems like once you strip away all of that stuff, you're left with just about 16 options, which would be just right for a sequel. If we start seeing a bunch of this second batch of NES games hit the VC, that would be a good sign.

Rainbowed the hell out of Legend of Zelda, so now with my brilliant rainbow barrier, I can post times. (I will do so as soon as I regain access to the Wii U)

Roto13

I wonder how many people don't realize that the last Pinball mission is specifically setting you up to let you make the seals dance right away.

Downhome

This is from Miiverse...

Hello! I’m Koichi Hayashida, the director of NES REMIX.

NES REMIX, which launched the other day, is a compilation of selected levels from classic NES games with plenty of new twists and challenges. This will be a great holiday challenge for anyone that has played NES games in the past as well as those new to NES games.

I will be sharing gameplay tip videos for this game in a newly-opened NEX REMIX community, so stay tuned!

Did you know that if you clear a level with the right technique and a fast enough time, you can get a special highlight around your star ranking?

We call them Rainbow stars, and for the next few posts, I would like to show you tips on how you can get them in different stages. If you’re having trouble getting Rainbow stars, these will be great pointers! The rest of this post will contain spoilers, so don’t read ahead if you want to tackle this without hints!

Now, I would like to show you some tips for the first stage: “Defeat 15 enemies with Invincible Mode!”
[Spoiler Alert!]

In this challenge, you play as an invincible Mario to defeat all the enemies within the time limit. However, if you just keep dashing, it is impossible to clear the level with a Rainbow Rank.

During the stage, there is an area where four Goombas appear at once, but only three will appear there if you’re constantly dashing.

In the original Super Mario Bros., only 5 enemies can show up on screen at the same time, including recently defeated enemies. For example, if 2 enemies you have defeated are still on-screen, only 3 more Goombas can appear at the same time.

So, in this section, when attacking the 2 Goombas, you have to wait a moment for one of the defeated Goombas to go off-screen in order for the 4th Goomba to appear.

Practice this technique by watching the video closely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilp9kugW6Hk&feature=player_embedded

I don't think I ever would have done that without seeing that video or unless I did it purely by accident.

culafia

I'm on the final level
with the Mushrooms

I have to three star that and get four more stamps before I'm done. In a yes or no answer, is there any content Im missing or is that level really the final level?

Downhome said:
In the original Super Mario Bros., only 5 enemies can show up on screen at the same time, including recently defeated enemies.

This might need to be added to the shocking videogame secrets thread.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This might need to be added to the shocking videogame secrets thread.
How can one play Super Mario Bros and not realize this, though? :p

It only takes a couple attempts at kicking a shell into multiple enemies for 1-ups before you notice the behavior. Some stages of Lost Levels are specifically built to test your knowledge of this, too.

andymcc

Banned
i had to order a replacement card due to Target Black Friday shenanigans.

My Kroger (closest store to me) only has 3DS point cards, do these work on Wii-U? I really want to play this game. :(

zroid

Banned
I'm confused, only just noticed this and not sure how I missed it!

Is this a bit like WarioWare then?

A bit, yeah. But it starts to feel less microgame-y as you progress through the stages. Eventually you'll be asked to complete full levels and such.

How can one play Super Mario Bros and not realize this, though? :p

It only takes a couple attempts at kicking a shell into multiple enemies for 1-ups before you notice the behavior. Some stages of Lost Levels are specifically built to test your knowledge of this, too.

Guess I've always just laid on the turbo button.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Got all rainbow stars on the SMB levels. I found stage 20 to be the hardest by far, that is until I got the idea to
jump bowser in level 4
. Will add my times to the list.

Edit: + Zelda, Donkey Kong, Clu Clu Land and Pinball.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was debating that this week..
And only thing I could possibly think of is they don't want to turn off certain people who probably would never crack an online leaderboard.

sort of... don't alienate part of your fanbase... it is perplexing

Can't even compare with friends
That might a possible reason. Or that it would take more time to implement it (both for programming and to do extra Quality Assurance).

Maybe it's just me but I find Miiverse a more encouraging means to keep trying for Rainbow Triple stars than a leaderboard. Besides that gradually there will be someone who breaks the game somehow and cheats their score to be something insane.

Find it more exciting to see someone go "WOW I DID IT" or "hey this is how you do this challenge" on Miiverse.

I think generally Nintendos feeling is that leaderboards can put off people when they see high achievers on top with crazy scores. It's more inclusive and "hey you can do it too!" to see what people have managed in general. Which kind of goes with their general thought on "Achievement" type things.

In a sneaky way NES Remix is like an introduction to "Nintendo Hard" games as most of the games are actually sort of like massive tutorials to these titles, while also being a nostalgic run thru Nintendo history for hardened NES fans.
That is also a possible reason. It should be fine to share these things via Miiverse regardless of leaderboards being included or not though, and it would also be possible to filter leaderboard entries to friends only. But maybe Nintendo made it this way to encourage usage of Miiverse more.

But regardless or no leaderboards, the game looks great i think. This would be one of the first games that i would have bought if i had a WiiU :)

rpmurphy

This is from Miiverse...

In this challenge, you play as an invincible Mario to defeat all the enemies within the time limit. However, if you just keep dashing, it is impossible to clear the level with a Rainbow Rank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilp9kugW6Hk&feature=player_embedded

I don't think I ever would have done that without seeing that video or unless I did it purely by accident.
This part isn't true. You can definitely do it without this trick, although, of course, you do have a worse time.

Just got this, but barely got to play much. Liking it so far.

Is this kind of a white Mario glove slap in the face to the industry wanting Nintendo games on IOS? The smb challange where he auto runs is a concept that could be used for IOS.

Looking forward to playing more, and i love the stamp idea.

Just give us more controller options!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just realised that flicking the right analogue stick will allow you to quickly scroll through the displayed Miiverse posts. Good for checking rainbow scores.

Kinsei

Banned
This thread made me break down and buy it. Hopefully I end up enjoying it as much as a lot of you in this thread are.

Rocky

Banned
Got all rainbow stars on the SMB levels. I found stage 20 to be the hardest by far, that is until I got the idea to
jump bowser in level 4
. Will add my times to the list.

Edit: + Zelda, Donkey Kong, Clu Clu Land and Pinball.

Damn, I'm still trying to get rainbows on the first SMB level. My time is at 23.3 and it still wasn't good enough. I keep getting hung up on the steps I think and have to jump several times to clear them.

Game is really damn addicting though, love it.

Andrew.

Banned
Wishlist for NES Remix Vol. II or DLCs:

-Punch Out!!
-Metroid
-Kid Icarus
-Kung Fu
-SMB2
-SMB3
-Zelda II
-Ice Hockey
-Pro Wrestling
-Hogan's Alley
-Soccer
-10-Yard Fight

Mokaman51

Neo Member
A neat little feature I noticed out of this AMAZING game - is that when you are playing Off-TV, and you happen to lose connection, the game will automatically pause, good if you play in a bad distance away from your TV.

Top Bottom