• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

I will admit I was skeptical about this game when it was first, but now that I have played, it is a pretty awesome game. The challenges are fun and can get pretty creative.
I hope this gets updates/DLC in the future.

Also, took me multiple failures to realize that for the Run Mario Remix, Mario ran automatically.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Damn, I'm still trying to get rainbows on the first SMB level. My time is at 23.3 and it still wasn't good enough. I keep getting hung up on the steps I think and have to jump several times to clear them.

The steps are your worst enemy in the SMB levels. You should usually be able to get to the top in two jumps.

I've never once played Wrecking Crew in my 25+ years of gaming. This game rocks.

I first played it when I got it as one of the 3DS ambassador games. It really is a lot fun, but it can get quite hard and there a lot of levels.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I cannot figure out the best way to beat Remix 2's Golf stage where you have to get to the green in 2 strokes while in the rain, especially the final part....

Edit: FINALLY got lucky & made it. & rainbow rank, no less, but ugh, Remix 2-16 sucks.

orborborb

I've never once played Wrecking Crew in my 25+ years of gaming. This game rocks.

tier 1 - mario, zelda, metroid, kid icarus, punch out
tier 2 - wrecking crew, balloon fight, donkey kongs, excitebike
tier 3 - mario bros, ice climbers, clu clu land, slalom, rad racer
tier 4 - golf, kung fu, tennis, gyromite, pinball, gumshoe, duck hunt
tier 5 - mach rider, urban champion, baseball, 10 yard fight, soccer, volleyball

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Streaming some NES remix for those who are interested in the game. So far enjoying it, but I hate this 3 star, and then rainbow 3 star business. I just got to get the highest score -_-

Kinsei

Banned
I forgot how terrible I am at OG Mario Bros. Getting all of the rainbow stars for that game is going to be hell.

leroidys

I love this game so much. Rainbow'd Super Mario Bros., Zelda, and Pinball so far.

I never knew that Excitebike actually had gameplay.

Kouriozan

I'm a Balloon Fight Master!

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01i1qnb.jpg

Onto the next game!

Kouriozan

I got rainbow stars in Donkey Kong Jr. but I dunno if I have the balls to do it in any other game lol
Hehe, I had trouble with 3 level, 2 of "kill all the ennemies". the last one took me about 15 tries to get it.
But yeah, not going to get every rainbow stars, at least not this month :lol

Is there a reason this is Gamepad only? I am tempted to buy it but usually when games restrict you to the Gamepad it is due to required control gimmicks like the touch screen. Is there any of that in here?

Rocky

Banned
The steps are your worst enemy in the SMB levels. You should usually be able to get to the top in two jumps.

I first played it when I got it as one of the 3DS ambassador games. It really is a lot fun, but it can get quite hard and there a lot of levels.

Hehe, finally managed the rainbow stars on that level, but not by jumping quicker.
A MiiVerse post popped up and pointed me to a shortcut through one of the pipes.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Yeah, I love Wrecking Crew... such an underrated classic. The minigames on NES Remix are really cool but I totally wanted more :(

I'm most of the way through the game, though I'm not sure how to do 2 levels:
-the unlimited 1ups level in Mario
-the Excitebike level where you have permanent turbo - I keep overheating

Game is fantastic though, it's a love-letter to someone like me who is a major fan of the "black box" era of the NES.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is there a reason this is Gamepad only? I am tempted to buy it but usually when games restrict you to the Gamepad it is due to required control gimmicks like the touch screen. Is there any of that in here?
Not that I've seen. Really it should support everything, especially the Wiimote as Nintendo kept touting it as a 21st century NES pad.

freakk5

Banned
I love this game, but I hate that it seems more effort is being spent here instead of releasing additional classics on the VC.

Roto13

Hehe, finally managed the rainbow stars on that level, but not by jumping quicker.
A MiiVerse post popped up and pointed me to a shortcut through one of the pipes.

Yeah, I like that that works. :p I tried that immediately and laughed when it actually worked.

Camjo-Z

I'm most of the way through the game, though I'm not sure how to do 2 levels:
-the unlimited 1ups level in Mario
-the Excitebike level where you have permanent turbo - I keep overheating

Regarding the first one
it always stops you after 8 lives the first time but after that I just jumped again and got it, hopefully that works for you too

For the second one
I haven't done many of the Excitebike challenges yet but I know running over the arrows on the track resets your overheat meter so you're probably meant to do that

Cody_D165

Banned
Well GAF, I caved and bought it.

I'm already pulling my hair out trying to get rainbow stars and loving every second of it.

plc268

So what's the secret to getting 10 1-ups in a row in the SMB stage 9? It gets to 8 1-ups without any input, and everything I've tried just results in failure.

Downhome

Tap it really fast, or in time with the jumps? I can't get either to work

Jump, keep tapping just over and over again.

It may help you to do it with your eyes closed or looking away from the screen. That may sound crazy, but looking at it can screw some people up since they may try to change it up when not needed. Give that a shot.

Glass Joe

Pinball is the SHITTIEST Pinball sim I've played in my entire life. What a fuckin joke.

You do understand that the game is old as shit, right? People were used to Intellivision/Atari levels of detail before it came along. Pinball games never felt "right" to me at all until recently.

Fuck Clu Clu land.

This was my first experience with Clu Clu Land. I didn't like it at first but now that I understand the controls I really enjoyed those levels. You're not controlling the guy, you're controlling the guy's arms as he's swinging through poles. It's interesting gameplay.

The tennis levels were a pain in the ass though and not very fun.

Kadin

I'm absolutely loving this title so far but I've already resigned to the fact that I will NOT be able to rainbow every level. There's just no damn way I'll have the patience to do it. Good luck to those that do though... Some of them seem impossible.

Getting those coins in Mario Bros with two characters??? I finally finished it with 00:01. Screw that level.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm absolutely loving this title so far but I've already resigned to the fact that I will NOT be able to rainbow every level. There's just no damn way I'll have the patience to do it. Good luck to those that do though... Some of them seem impossible.

Getting those coins in Mario Bros with two characters??? I finally finished it with 00:01. Screw that level.

I'm not totally convinced every level is able to be rainbow'd. I mean, obviously they *should* be, but there are some that I just don't think I could do any faster.

Kadin

I'm not totally convinced every level is able to be rainbow'd. I mean, obviously they *should* be, but there are some that I just don't think I could do any faster.
Yeah I've had quite a few that I've done over and over because I knew I could shave off a bit here and there. Finally get a good score and some random player off to the right has like a time of 18.73 when mine was 20.65. >_<

Jak140

Once you understand how the controls work for Mario Bros it gets much easier. After realizing that Mario jumps the direction he is facing on the ground before you press jump and that he can jump straight up if you stop pressing the d pad first I was able to rainbow the whole set.

Kadin

Once you understand how the controls work for Mario Bros it gets much easier. After realizing that Mario jumps the direction he is facing on the ground before you press jump and that he can jump straight up if you stop pressing the d pad first I was able to rainbow the whole set.
I didn't know about that. I'll have to check it out again, thanks!

Top Bottom