• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix gains 4.9 Million Subscribers in Q1. Shares 12% up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Figured this was worth noting since everytime there's a Netflix thread GAF talks about lacklusting content and "going the way of the dodo" soon so...

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/netflix-adds-record-4-9-million-subscribers-in-q1-1201473151/

Netflix reported a net gain of 2.28 million U.S. subs and 2.6 million overseas, to end Q1 with 62.3 million streaming customers. In January, Netflix told investors it expected to add 4.05 million subscribers in the first quarter, with 1.8 million in the U.S. and 2.25 million internationally.

Netflix attributed the better-than-expected growth for Q1 in the U.S. to its expanding content lineup.

“We think strong U.S. growth benefited from our ever-improving content, including the launch of the third season of ‘House of Cards’ and new shows ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ and ‘Bloodline,'” CEO Reed Hastings and CFO David Wells wrote in a letter to shareholders. Netflix debuted “Marvel’s Daredevil” on April 10, after the end of the first quarter on March 31.

Reason (besides the new regions) is pretty obviously the self-made content, which has all been fantastic as far as im concerned.

Almighty

Just another reminder that I should of invested some money a few years ago during the Qwikster fiasco and all the other stuff surrounding it when people were proclaiming the death of Netflix.

Netflix Originals are some of my favorite shows. I hope they can keep up the quality and amount of content produced for many years.

Well deserved

Daredevil is fucking phenomenal

Yeah

Jesus Christ Daredevil is so damn good, I know it's Marvel but so far it's my favorite Marvel thing to come out of Marvel in terms of Live action.

If they can do this with the other properties that are meant to be taken 'street level'...goddamn. Hope is high.

I don't even use Netflix anymore. In Canada the selection is just useless. I remember going on it and scrolling through and going, "I've seen all of this."

Hopefully more is added cause it's super bunk up here.

Deserved, I hope that soon they'll have enough original content that the movie streaming will just be a bonus. Of course I have to expect a price increase coming as well.

Maximo

US has over 6 times the content over the Australian Netflix. Hope more people sign up and Netflix improves soon >.<

Phased

House of Cards, Orange is The New Black, Daredevil, and if the trends continue AKA Jessica Jones are worth the price of admission on their own. Not to mention the decent catalogue of other stuff.

As it is I only have basic cable now after downgrading earlier this year, and I only kept that much because it makes my internet a bit cheaper. If someone besides Time Warner moves in with better speeds or competitive pricing I'll cut the cord entirely. At least they don't have Data Caps but I'm still paying close to 100 bucks for 35 down/5 up.

sfedai0

Banned
This service has been getting better every year. No other service out there comes close to getting your money's worth, especially in the original content category.

Netflix only recently launched in Australia and the wife and I are loving it. It's disappointing that the content is about 6 times less than the US but I'm confident it'll improve in the future. Daredevil is fantastic.

Carcetti

I've liked Daredevil, OITNB, and Cards, so just their original content is a reason enough to keep paying. If that wasn't enough, I've been binge watching and my kids are happy with their cartoon content. Probably the most useful entertainment service I've ever payed for. I used to VPN the USA content but their local library has been improving so much I don't bother anymore.

Netflix introduced me to some of my favorite movies like The Secret of Kells which I would have probably never stumbled upon otherwise.

Future

Is any of their original content besides daredevil, house of cards and orange any good? I've seen some ads for other series I think but I see no one talking about them

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is any of their original content besides daredevil, house of cards and orange any good? I've seen some ads for other series I think but I see no one talking about them

Does Kimmy Schmidt count? Because that's fantastic as well.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is good, I've heard good things about Bloodlines as well. You might also get some enjoyment out of Bojack Horseman depending on your tastes.

AxeMan

Netflix only recently launched in Australia and the wife and I are loving it. It's disappointing that the content is about 6 times less than the US but I'm confident it'll improve in the future. Daredevil is fantastic.

Get yourself unotelly/getflix/unlockus service. Very much worth it.

It's not illegal, even our Attorney General said it's ok to do it

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Cool. Love my Netflix account. Spend too much time just watching new stuff all the time.

Wow next flix is still a thing? We too have an amazing selection shows on our cable service, such as Mitt Romney variety hour. That is that if you are around to watch it at that time and at the location of our choosing because fuck yeah licensing law crap. And it's only 80 bucks a month! What's not to like.

Arnold Hole,
CEO of Every Cable Company Ever Inc

Also, for US netflix, I can't understand how people complain about the lack of things to watch. There are a lot of hidden gems on the service

I don't even use Netflix anymore. In Canada the selection is just useless. I remember going on it and scrolling through and going, "I've seen all of this."

Hopefully more is added cause it's super bunk up here.

The Canadian selection isn't great but I find there's always plenty for me to watch, a lot of great shows and movies.

dejay

Banned
Get yourself unotelly/getflix/unlockus service. Very much worth it.

It's not illegal, even our Attorney General said it's ok to do it

Yep - parallel importing is legal and currently protected. Digital media is no exception, although the current government, for some reason, seems to want to change that.

I've recently started the free Netflix trial in Australia and I'm impressed so far. Streaming has been flawless on my crappy connection - probably the best streaming experience I've had with any video service.

There's still a bunch of content on the AU market, but obviously more is better. Daredevil was great. I'll probably exhaust the obvious choices the next few months in term of the AU service and then see what extra the US experience can provide.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

BlackJace

Also, for US netflix, I can't understand how people complain about the lack of things to watch. There are a lot of hidden gems on the service

Original content and TV shows are in abundance, but actual new and classic movies are not as abundant, at least for me (US).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom