• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix gains 4.9 Million Subscribers in Q1. Shares 12% up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

I subscribed again only for Daredevil. Is House of Cards really that good? I might try that out next.

You need to watch House of Cards and then Bloodline. Bloodline is incredible, but it's a slow burn. The payoff is worth it. Every episode is great, but they really take their time to establish the characters. And if you're a Kyle Chandler fan, it's must see.

Just another reminder that I should of invested some money a few years ago during the Qwikster fiasco and all the other stuff surrounding it when people were proclaiming the death of Netflix.

Same.

One of my biggest financial mistakes to date. I knew Netflix was good even then; I was using it religiously but I allowed outside stories and rumors to impair my judgment.

Dumb question, but how to such big streaming setups stream so much data?

Also, Netflix search fuckin' sucks. Awesome service though

Card Boy

Banned
It's amazing that people have not heard of stuff like Hola, Getflix or Unblock.us. I guess I know about this stuff since we are oppressed when it comes to having good shit in Australia.

Getflix costs a couple bux a month and lets you region jump to any Netflix. I single it out as you can use it on your Apple TV, PS3, PS4, 360, Xbone or PC. Takes like 2 minutes to set up and comes with a 14 day trial. No credit card needed.

daredevil and kimmy schmidt were the first times since house of cards season 1 where i could get through a netflix season without it feeling like a chore.

faridmon

just wish they had a yearly subscription. The only reason why I am stuck with Amazon Prime. I would rather pay a price once and have it for 1 year.

this_guy

I signed back up for House of Cards season 3, but canceled after the month was over. Streaming buffers way too much and errors out often. I thought Netflix paid AT&T uverse their toll like as they did Comcast. Streaming through Amazon Prime and Vudu work fine so its just a Netflix/uverse issue.

Toa TAK

Banned
daredevil and kimmy schmidt were the first times since house of cards season 1 where i could get through a netflix season without it feeling like a chore.

Yeah, I feel like those shows were the first time I felt "Original Series" meant something on Netflix.

I liked Arrested Development Season 4, but it wasn't as good as the rest of the seasons. Same with House of Cards 2 + 3.

I'd really like to see them expand their 4K/HDR content beyond the limited (mostly TVs) devices that currently support it. I'm ready for some higher quality content, and ISPs sound like they'll be ready by the end of this year as well with DOCSIS 3.1.

cacildo

Watch as Netflix lives enough to become a villain

Aside from that, just out of curitosity, how do people you know watch netflix? Smart TVs, Videogames or unconfortably sitted in front of a computer?

(add your country if answering)

DeviantBoi

Watch as Netflix lives enough to become a villain

Aside from that, just out of curitosity, how do people you know watch netflix? Smart TVs, Videogames or unconfortably sitted in front of a computer?

(add your country if answering)

From my Bravia TV.

I'm in Latin America. We don't get all of the US content, but it's still pretty robust. Also, we have a lot of novelas.

Kill3r7

Original content has allowed Netflix to grow throughout the year rather than the previous trend of relying on a huge holiday bump in new subscribers.

Ahasverus

How is Netflix for movies? I'm interested in having only Netflix + Air Antenna in the future. Don't have much time to watch a series.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. The Original shows are great. Heck i even love that kimmy Schmidt show.

"Urethra!"

Unbreakable is one of the best new comedies in a while (probably tied with Silicon Valley for me).

How is Netflix for movies? I'm interested in having only Netflix + Air Antenna in the future. Don't have much time to watch a series.

If you subscribe to Netflix and HBO standalone, I think you'll be pretty much covered in terms of great film/TV content. Plenty of great movies in the backlog, and though HBO is much better at getting new movies you actually want to watch, Netflix usually gets a couple good newish movies every month.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I kept delaying a start to my subscription for random reasons but I recently started sharing an account for Daredevil. I'll keep the sub, the convenience the service provides between my devices is outstanding (I have my PC hooked up to my entertainment center). Brazil here and I haven't felt the need to mess with VPNs etc so far.

first post and all that.

mediocre.

Beyond terrible. You're wasting money if you have Netflix for movies.

I disagree. Unless you're expecting to watch every major summer blockbuster on Netflix, I don't see how you could say that. There's always a bunch of strong options on Netflix.

Here's what I see just from my list that most consider to be good to great movies.

Chef
The Babadook
Beginners
Election
Melancholia
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Garduate
Rosemary's Baby
Amalie
Oldboy
Terminator 2
The Double
Cinema Paradiso
Jerry McGuaire
Heathers
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Serpico
Titanic
Kill Bill
Jackie Brown
The Triplets of Belleville
A Single Man
The Hunt
City of God
The Nightmare Before Chirstmas
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Big Lebowski
Filth
Gladiator
Battle Royale
Lawless
Holy Motors
Y Tu Mama Tambien
The Imigrant

and that's just what's on my list currently. If you have a fairly open minded taste in films I think you can get a lot out of the service.

cacildo

From my Bravia TV.

I'm in Latin America. We don't get all of the US content, but it's still pretty robust. Also, we have a lot of novelas.

Thank you. Also Latin America here, using Wiiu and Smart Tv

Most people i know uses some kind of tv thing. When they hear "..if you dont have something you have to watch it in your computer" they give up before starting

(in fact i only tried Netflix because they released on Wii right off the bat)

Beyond terrible. You're wasting money if you have Netflix for movies.

man... Netflix is GREAT for movies in Brasil. Both new releases and early 2000s stuff (but they really lack 80s and 90s movies). I just watched Nightcrawler a few weeks ago

In which country does Netflix sucks so much for movies?

I disagree. Unless you're expecting to watch every major summer blockbuster on Netflix, I don't see how you could say that. There's always a bunch of strong options on Netflix.

Here's what I see just from my list that most consider to be good to great movies.

Chef
The Babadook
Beginners
Election
Melancholia
The Garduate
Rosemary's Baby
Amalie
Oldboy
Terminator 2
The Double
Cinema Paradiso
Jerry McGuaire
Heathers
Serpico
Titanic
Kill Bill
Jackie Brown
A Single Man
The Hunt
City of God
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Big Lebowski
Filth
Gladiator
Battle Royale
Lawless
Holy Motors
Y Tu Mama Tambien
The Imigrant

and that's just what's on my list currently. If you have a fairly open minded taste in films I think you can get a lot out of the service.

In the context of recent releases, it's awful. If we're going to have an honest conversation, you have to start with that fact. It has a passable selection of older films, sure. So if you're looking to watch older, quality films in HD, Netflix is cool but far from great and HBOGo is probaby a better service for that. I don't know about HBO Now so I can't comment on how it compares with regards to movies. Beyond older movies, Netflix still gets pretty sketchy. And plenty of classic films you might want to watch are simply not there.

But if the list of available films makes you happy, good for you. It's a bit less than satisfactory to me and mine. We keep Netflix for the original series', TV series' and the occasional documentary and anime series. For us, it's more than worth the cost for those.

In the context of recent releases, it's awful. It has a passable selection of older films, sure. So if you're looking to watch older, quality films in HD, Netflix is cool. After that, it still gets pretty sketchy. And plenty of classic films you might want to watch are simply not there.

But if the list of available films makes you happy, good for you. It's a bit less than satisfactory to me and mine. We keep Netflix for the original series', TV series' and the occasional documentary and anime series. For us, it's more than worth the cost for those.

I mean, you kind of have to go into the mindset you go into something like HBO with. It's not going to replace your movie collection. It's going to have a pretty strong rotating lineup that has a lot of interesting stuff if you're willing to try new things, but it's not going to replace the need for you to buy your favorite films.

If your thought process is: "I want to see (x movie) let's check if it's on Netflix!" Yeah, you're probably going to have a bad time. If your thought process is: "Let's find something interesting to watch on Netflix." I think you should generally be able to find something great as long as you don't have super narrow tastes.

hamchan

Depends how you use it. Anything new or specific chances are low that you won't find it and would be better served to find the specific movie separately.

If you treat it like a video store where you just randomly browse and pick something that looks interesting on impulse then it's pretty good.

I love Netflix. Even though it hasn't gotten much love from me lately because of bloodborne. Give me Sons of anarchy season 7 already damnit.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I don't understand why Netflix release all episodes of their original series at once. I mean there are people who just subscribe to watch HOC or other popular shows and then unsubscribe it. If they release episodes weekly then people will subscribe for longer times. And no people won't wait till all episodes are released due to the curiosity factor. Seems like a weird business decision to me.

I don't understand why Netflix release all episodes of their original series at once. I mean there are people who just subscribe it to watch HOC or other popular shows and then unsubscribe it. If they release episodes weekly then people will subscribe for longer times. And no people won't wait till all episodes are released due to the curiosity factor. Seems like a weird business decision to me.

If they thought they would get more money doing that then they would. I'm sure every bit of data relating to how often people view their shows is not wasted.

Cant front. I loved Unbreakable Kimmy and DareDevil for originals. Also on my list is Bloodline, and some other original content i havent seen yet.

impact

Banned

Chef
The Babadook
Beginners
Election
Melancholia
The Garduate
Rosemary's Baby
Amalie
Oldboy
Terminator 2
The Double
Cinema Paradiso
Jerry McGuaire
Heathers
Serpico
Titanic
Kill Bill
Jackie Brown
A Single Man
The Hunt
City of God
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Big Lebowski
Filth
Gladiator
Battle Royale
Lawless
Holy Motors
Y Tu Mama Tambien
The Imigrant

You basically just posted every movie available on Netflix that's worth watching.

All old movies too. Now if we've seen all/most of these all that's left on the service is D tier movies that quite frankly, serve no purpose of even being on Netflix. Really wish they'd clean up their selection and go more towards a quality > quantity approach.

Into

All i want is to be able to watch X Files and Lost and neither are available in Europe =/

I dont want to use a different DNS, not ones i find on YouTube or ones i pay for. I may as well just buy the dvds.

Patryn

If they thought they would get more money doing that then they would. I'm sure every bit of data relating to how often people view their shows is not wasted.

I believe I read once that the reason they did House of Cards is that their metrics showed that their subscribers liked David Fincher and Kevin Spacey.

They are definitely taking into account everything.

Johndoey

Banned
Yeah

Jesus Christ Daredevil is so damn good, I know it's Marvel but so far it's my favorite Marvel thing to come out of Marvel in terms of Live action.

If they can do this with the other properties that are meant to be taken 'street level'...goddamn. Hope is high.
Daredevil is trash tho.

Davey Cakes

Nice. The Original shows are great. Heck i even love that kimmy Schmidt show.

"Urethra!"
That's the only Netflix original I watch (for now) but it's a really refreshing comedy show.

My biggest issue with Netflix right now is the "flix" part. I'd gladly pay a couple more dollars a month for an improved movie catalog.

You basically just posted every movie available on Netflix that's worth watching.

All old movies too. Now if we've seen all/most of these all that's left on the service is D tier movies that quite frankly, serve no purpose of even being on Netflix. Really wish they'd clean up their selection and go more towards a quality > quantity approach.

Not really. I can go find a bunch more. That was not even my entire list. I figured the list got long enough half-way through and stopped typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom