• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix gains 4.9 Million Subscribers in Q1. Shares 12% up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

New customer here, we got it recently in NZ. Currently in the trial period but happy to pay for it with shows like Daredevil.

KingK

Well deserved. I use Netflix just about every day, and their original content has been really damn good. Daredevil is probably my new favorite show (and makes me want a Netflix Batman show so bad).

AxeMan

Yep - parallel importing is legal and currently protected. Digital media is no exception, although the current government, for some reason, seems to want to change that.

I've recently started the free Netflix trial in Australia and I'm impressed so far. Streaming has been flawless on my crappy connection - probably the best streaming experience I've had with any video service.

There's still a bunch of content on the AU market, but obviously more is better. Daredevil was great. I'll probably exhaust the obvious choices the next few months in term of the AU service and then see what extra the US experience can provide.

I'm not sure if it's related to parallel importing as such but I do know that bypassing geo-restrictions is not illegal in Australia

Daredevil is fun so far (two episodes in). I enjoyed Kimmy Schmidt as well.
Watching Always Sunny as well, started the IT Crowd again. Watch a bit of Portlandia and Louie. UK Office is always good for a bit of a watch as well.
And then every now and again I'll watch a movie that looks like it'll take my fancy

dejay

Banned
I'm not sure if it's related to parallel importing as such but I do know that bypassing geo-restrictions is not illegal in Australia

Pretty much the same concept. As a company you're allowed to try and geo-block your paid content, but there's no current legal recourse for you to stop people doing it. It's the exact same scenario for physical goods - a lot of companies won't honour international warranties, but there's nothing stopping the consumer taking the risk of importation.

I can understand the reason for companies trying to do it; international distribution rights for media is a tangled web based on physical distribution deals that go back decades, but in this day and age they have to adapt to the new realities.

I'm pretty impressed how Netflix's portfolio grew in just about 6 months since it's been available in Germany.
Safe to say I won't cancel my subscription anytime soon.

RSP

My son watches kids shows on Netflix all the time (it's a great way to keep him quiet for another hour or so when mom and dad are still trying to get some sleep).

The portfolio could be better, but the offering of original series have been great :) So well deserved, I don't see myself cancelling my subscription anytime soon either.

AxeMan

Pretty much the same concept. As a company you're allowed to try and geo-block your paid content, but there's no current legal recourse for you to stop people doing it. It's the exact same scenario for physical goods - a lot of companies won't honour international warranties, but there's nothing stopping the consumer taking the risk of importation.

I can understand the reason for companies trying to do it; international distribution rights for media is a tangled web based on physical distribution deals that go back decades, but in this day and age they have to adapt to the new realities.

In that sense, yes, I see your point.

I don't think Netflix care at all that people are getting around their geoblock. It's mainly the companies that have paid for the rights to distribute the content here in Aus that are complaining (ie Rupert)

Dominator

Wow, I had no clue they had that many subscribers worldwide.

They are raking in the dough. Simple math says around a billion or more every two months. Thats crazy.

I thought they were starting to become a little too ambitious with all of their shows (there are a ton of them now), but nevermind lol they can afford it.

El Topo

I wonder how nervous media companies are getting.

I'm pretty impressed how Netflix's portfolio grew in just about 6 months since it's been available in Germany.

They've grown a lot, but their movie selection is still unimpressive. Their own original shows however easily set them apart from the competition.

dejay

Banned
In that sense, yes, I see your point.

I don't think Netflix care at all that people are getting around their geoblock. It's mainly the companies that have paid for the rights to distribute the content here in Aus that are complaining (ie Rupert)

The more I can stick it to Murdoch the better I'll feel :)

I got Netflix recently to watch the Daredevil series, but I'm thinking of keeping it due to everything else they have.

While their movie collection is relatively sparse in terms of stuff I haven't seen, they got a lot of TV series I want to catch up on, plus some anime I've heard good things about but haven't watched yet.

ThankeeSai

Niiiiiiice.

I hope this means more House of Cards. I'm on episode 11 of season 3 and it's been amazing so far.

Daredevil is next on my list.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Wow, I had no clue they had that many subscribers worldwide.

They are raking in the dough. Simple math says around a billion or more every two months. Thats crazy.

I thought they were starting to become a little too ambitious with all of their shows (there are a ton of them now), but nevermind lol they can afford it.

I wonder if Netflix could get to the level of have multiple of nearly every typical type of television show. Drama, Sitcom, Adult Cartoons, Kids Cartoons, Thriller. They seem to be making their way there.

Wurst

Got Netflix Germany recently and i like it more than Prime. Lots and lots of shows me and my SO want to watch.

For the price it has incredible value for us. Can't wait to start Daredevil.

Netflix is a pretty amazing service, but atm I'm sticking with prime mainly cause it's cheaper (24€ per year for students) and I'd like to have prime anyway.
Loving the netflix original shows though, so I will need to resubscribe at some point anyway.

I don't even use Netflix anymore. In Canada the selection is just useless. I remember going on it and scrolling through and going, "I've seen all of this."

Hopefully more is added cause it's super bunk up here.

it's pretty much the same here in europe, but that's what i like about it. Never expect any new movies there, and if there are some, they will be gone in about a month as the licence expires.

It's cheap and they have a huge selection of 90's movies i remember renting on VHS. Perfect for those sunday hangover mornings! :D

I wonder if Netflix could get to the level of have multiple of nearly every typical type of television show. Drama, Sitcom, Adult Cartoons, Kids Cartoons, Thriller. They seem to be making their way there.
I think they have at least one show already for each of those categories, so now it's just a matter of expanding them even further.

I'm wondering how long it'll be before we start seeing more unconventional runtimes from their original series. Without having to make room for ads and not requiring their shows to fit within time slots, the length can be whatever they want.

hamchan

It just launched in Australia and I'm finding it pretty amazing. Paid a few extra dollars every month to use Getflix and I can access any Netflix region, making the library even bigger. They are nailing their original shows too.

Nice, the original shows are excelent and the usa netflix is really good compared to our canadian one.

i wonder how Huluplus (rival?) does in comparison

HowZatOZ

Banned
Reckon that 2.25 million is us Australians, easily. Everyone I know and talk to has jumped on the Netflix bandwagon, it's like wild fire.

Alx

I'm one of the new customers too. Although I may consider cancelling my subscription soon, I'll have seen all the older shows I wanted, and the new ones aren't really my cup of tea (especially the self-produced Kimmy and Daredevil).
It's an ok deal while the interest lasts, though.

tomtom94

Netflix Babylon 5 reboot.

Make it so.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense8

It's not quite Babylon 5, but it's co-created by JMS and it's got five seasons planned...

Anyway, well deserved. I always find it weird when people say "there's no content!" considering I live in one of the worst Netflix regions (the UK) and I've got at least 7 series and a whole load of films I want to get round to watching.

hamchan

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense8

It's not quite Babylon 5, but it's co-created by JMS and it's got five seasons planned...

Anyway, well deserved. I always find it weird when people say "there's no content!" considering I live in one of the worst Netflix regions (the UK) and I've got at least 7 series and a whole load of films I want to get round to watching.

Oh wow that seems like another good get for Netflix.

Garruson

Give me more Daredevil and more shows of that calibre, I give more money.

Shame about their really lacking of films, though, great for TV, kind of crap for film.

Obrek

Banned
How's Marco Polo? That's one of the few Netflix Originals that rarely gets mentioned.

I like it a lot. Sets, costumes are all great. Haven't finished the first season yet so I don't know where the story goes, but it's pretty good so far. I don't recognize a single actor from anything else but I think a lot of them are very good.

OT: Hope this success brings us more Netflix originals and continuations of the current ones. They really are great.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member

The official figures are $1.57 billion in revenue this quarter, of which $23 million are profits:

Revenue grew to $1.57 billion compared with $1.27 billion for the same period a year ago. Profits shrank from $53 million for this period last year to just $23 million this quarter.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/15/8421495/netflix-q1-2015-earnings

It's kind of surprising still. I guess this has to be driven mostly by the self made content. I still don't have the slightest desire to subscribe but daredevil has been fantastic. I can't see their lacking content improving, they definitely prefer to make their own.

Netflix has entered American pop culture in strong way. When teachers ask how many kids have Netflix, nearly the entire class raises their hands besides the people who don't usually watch anything. People saying they're lgoing home to go watch Netflix and be lazy". If they continue on this rate of success and make their movie library worthwhile, they could really be on their way to the iPod of streaming in a couple of years.

Apt101

I hope HBO launching Now prompts a lot of cable viewers to try on-line options, and discovers Netflix. Because we need a second HBO, and Netflix is well on its way.

El Topo

Netflix has entered American pop culture in strong way. When teachers ask how many kids have Netflix, nearly the entire class raises their hands besides the people who don't usually watch anything. People saying they're lgoing home to go watch Netflix and be lazy". If they continue on this rate of success and make their movie library worthwhile, they could really be on their way to the iPod of streaming in a couple of years.

They're also years ahead of the competition when it comes to international markets. It'll be difficult for other services to catch up. I think movie/media companies are in for a rough awakening.

Snowdrift

The big news that seems to be overlooked is that Netflix will begin encrypting its traffic.

Over the next year we’ll evolve from using HTTP to using Secure HTTP (HTTPS) while browsing and viewing content on our service. This helps protect member privacy, particularly when the network is insecure, such as public wifi, and it helps protect members from eavesdropping by their ISP or employer, who may want to record our members’ viewing for other reasons.

Stargate. B5 and BSG already have series closure.

The stargate well has been poisoned, they would also need to start fresh on that front rather than just continuing the canon.

13 episode seasons, divided up roughly 50/50 in terms of planets-of-the-week and ongoing continuity. That is, stronger continuity than SG1/Atlantis, but weaker continuity than universe. Arcs planned from the start. I've thought about it a lot and you're all lucky that my horrible fanfiction will never get made :D

SteveWD40

Came for Breaking Bad, stayed for the entire Macgyver collection.

UK Netflix is a mixed bag but there is some good stuff if you dig, just not recent films...

legend166

They're talking a lot about doing global licensing deals from now on so hopefully the days of switching regions comes to an end soon.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
US has over 6 times the content over the Australian Netflix. Hope more people sign up and Netflix improves soon >.<

If you live in Australia and aren't accessing the US catalogue through a VPN/DNS service then that's on you.

www.getflix.com.au

It costs me just over $2 per month to be able to access the US catalogue. Anything less isnt worth the money and falls behind Stan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom