• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix gains 4.9 Million Subscribers in Q1. Shares 12% up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Not really. I can go find a bunch more. That was not even my entire list. I figured the list got long enough half-way through and stopped typing.

You could post movies until your fingers fall off and people would still bitch about content. They have been since forever. Even when there are free/cheap/easy-to-use resources out there that makes the library better.

Figured this was worth noting since everytime there's a Netflix thread GAF talks about lacklusting content and "going the way of the dodo" soon so...

I mean, when it comes to movies, thats absolutely true.

Netflix streaming has always had a bad movie selection, and it has only gotten worse.

Netflix used to be synonymous with "watch any movie ever" now it isnt.

I wish they at least offered a rotating new release movie every month. (New release like new on redbox release)

Chabbles

Netflix is so good lately, always seems to be something worth watching now. whereas this time last year new content seemed so slow, on Irish Netflix atleast.

lordxar

Yea their movie lineup could be a bit better but I'm shifting to mostly TV shows anymore as it is. Their almost as graphic, fill out the story a lot more than a couple hour movie will, and can be viewed over lunch or right before bed which is when I watch most. This is going to sound stupid but if I'm looking at 120 minute movie or a 40 minute TV show the show usually wins even if I binge on several episodes. I don't know, I feel like I can move on easier vs a definite two hour comittment. Unless its something I really want to see that is. I will also say that the limited amount of what I'd call good movies has made me branch out to foreign movies I'd assumed were B rated crap like Snowpiercer and Housebound but lo and behold their pretty damn awesome so the latest Fast and Furious rehash doesn't interest me at all anymore compared to better movies I hadn't considered previously.

Netflix streaming has always had a bad movie selection, and it has only gotten worse.

I wish they at least offered a rotating new release movie every month. (New release like new on redbox release)

Expecting a low-priced "all you can eat" subscription service to have as many new releases as an individually-priced rental service is crazy talk.

You could, but they would be bad movies.

The One I Love, American Psycho, Upstream Color, Silver Linings Playbook, Ferris Bueller's Day off, and Reservoir Dogs are not what most people would consider bad movies.

I can keep 'em coming. :p

hamchan

I don't understand why Netflix release all episodes of their original series at once. I mean there are people who just subscribe to watch HOC or other popular shows and then unsubscribe it. If they release episodes weekly then people will subscribe for longer times. And no people won't wait till all episodes are released due to the curiosity factor. Seems like a weird business decision to me.

It's a consumer friendly business decision and they've got my money because of it. Binge watching is soooooo good.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The One I Love, American Psycho, Upstream Color, Silver Linings Playbook, Ferris Bueller's Day off, and Reservoir Dogs are not what most people would consider bad movies.

I can keep 'em coming. :p

You should. I don't understand why it's taken people so long to realize it's rotating content. You're never going to always have what you want when you want it, but time and time again for the last 7 years I've had my Netflix account there's always been something really great to watch with the service. It's laughable to think of the expectations people have for Netflix when in reality most of those expectations could never happen (having what you want to watch when you feel like watching it, just buy it on bluray if the movie/show means that much to you).

Toothless

Is any of their original content besides daredevil, house of cards and orange any good? I've seen some ads for other series I think but I see no one talking about them

Don't know if you've gotten this response, but personally, BoJack is easily their best show. I'll admit I'm saying this as someone halfway through Daredevil and watched all three seasons of House of Cards. Haven't seen their other shows.

Vyer

In the context of recent releases, it's awful. If we're going to have an honest conversation, you have to start with that fact. It has a passable selection of older films, sure. So if you're looking to watch older, quality films in HD, Netflix is cool but far from great and HBOGo is probaby a better service for that. I don't know about HBO Now so I can't comment on how it compares with regards to movies. Beyond older movies, Netflix still gets pretty sketchy. And plenty of classic films you might want to watch are simply not there.

I would disagree with that. I don't think 'new releases' necessarily has to be the criteria for a 'good' movie selection. Particularly when new releases are an issue with streaming subscription services on the whole. If we're going to talk context, the limitations of the industry as a whole should be considered.

Also, I believe in any given month HBOGO only has a couple or 3 hundred movies. I would be surprised if Netflix or Amazon doesn't have a much higher count than that.

Netflix was never synonymous with "watch any movie ever."

I don't understand why Netflix release all episodes of their original series at once. I mean there are people who just subscribe to watch HOC or other popular shows and then unsubscribe it. If they release episodes weekly then people will subscribe for longer times. And no people won't wait till all episodes are released due to the curiosity factor. Seems like a weird business decision to me.

I'd assume their goal is to release one series that people want to watch every month in order to keep them subscribed.

Bravocado

Kimmy Schmidt, Derek, Daredevil, House of Cards, Bojack Horseman. Definitely enough interesting content to justify the price, IMHO, especially if you can get the American version.

EDIT: almost forgot about Orange, although Lilyham is somewhat underwhelming.

MercuryLS

Banned
Netflix is the best. Daredevil is surprisingly amazing, I wasn't expecting much from the trailers but man is the show awesome. I hope they keep it up with great exclusive content.

They deserve their success, I just wish I bought their stock a few years ago :/

Toothless

The one thing Netflix needs is a continuity-based family cartoon. I'd love if there was an Avatar or Gravity Falls style show for binge-ing, but they seem wholly uninterested in pursuing that.

I am fully on board supporting NetFlix I've always wondered though..outside of subscriptions how do they pay for their Original Series? Don't they have to give a cut of the profits to the original owners of all shows that they stream?

I am fully on board supporting NetFlix I've always wondered though..outside of subscriptions how do they pay for their Original Series? Don't they have to give a cut of the profits to the original owners of all shows that they stream?

I imagine theres a flat fee they pay and the rest is based on usage. .

Ushay

Well deserved. They have an incredible lineup of original content and unbeatable value.

At the moment I'm watching Dardevil, The Returned, a couple Anime shows, Better Call Saul, Once Upon a Time among many others.

Insane value for money there. They literally accommodate for every type of viewer and have original content in most genres.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Netflix was never synonymous with "watch any movie ever."
Not as a streaming service, in the heyday of the disk service it pretty much was. Nowadays the disk service us spotty as they haven't replaced disks and the new releases come months after they are released on Blu-ray for purchase.

BkMogul

Well deserved. They have an incredible lineup of original content and unbeatable value.

At the moment I'm watching Dardevil, The Returned, a couple Anime shows, Better Call Saul, Once Upon a Time among many others.

Insane value for money there. They literally accommodate for every type of viewer and have original content in most genres.

I think you made a typo with "Saul".

Patryn

No?

To the best of my knowledge, the networks don't give a portion of their profits to their various shows.

Firstly, I believe they ARE one of the owners of the show, given that they finance them.

Secondly, they likely pay a flat fee for the streaming rights.

The production house of the show is then able to further monetize it by selling it to VOD services, DVD and Blu-Rays, etc.

Dunlop

I hope it keeps growing at an exception rate that one day forces cable providers to change their ancient revenue model

Koozek

Jesus, just looked through the US selection with ZenMate. I was already pretty happy with the German one, but this is amazing. Louie, Twin Peaks, Freaks & Geeks, etc. Whew.

Honestly the fact that they have Breaking Bad is more than enough to justify the price. That's the show I tell everyone to see the minute they get Netflix and from then on they become binge watching addicts. Everything else like Daredevil and HOC is just icing on the cake.

Some colleagues laugh at me when I say I pay 9 euro's per month for Netflix because they have this huge boycot against paying a monthly fee for something you never own.

I don't care. I accept that it comes with the territory but at least I get to watch stuff like House of Cards, Better Call Saul, Orange is The New Black etc. Netflix is doing a mighty fine job.

Koozek

Some colleagues laugh at me when I say I pay 9 euro's per month for Netflix because they have this huge boycot against paying a monthly fee for something you never own.

I don't care. I accept that it comes with the territory but at least I get to watch stuff like House of Cards, Better Call Saul, Orange is The New Black etc. Netflix is doing a mighty fine job.

I couldn't care less if I own movies/series, it just takes up space in my room and it's more expensive. Most movies I only watch once and when I don't it's because they're just randomly running on TV when I'm chilling. I don't own movies I watch in theatre either.
I started using Netflix only a few days ago and I'm already super satisfied, especially now that I can see US stuff, too (unfortunately they seem to plan to crack down on Proxy users). So convenient.

HoodWinked

after seeing their lackluster performance in EU last quarter i didnt expect netflix to rebound so strongly. it was 329 janurary this year and 553 right now.

lordxar

Do they pay for cable? lol

Streaming/digital is my present and future. I had a massive pile of 300+ movies, mostly DVD but some bluray plus a shitload of old consoles and games. Nearly all of that is gone. I own one physical PS4 game and some blurays otherwise its just books and CD's left. Between Google Play and Netflix I couldn't give a shit about actually owning anything these days. Just bought a couple movies at lunch that were cheap but that's the exception for me these days. Hell Netflix streams on any device I have and is so damn convenient. Bluray needs a box, good TV, and decent sound so its a lot more fixed if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom