• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The new Jim Norton special is quite good. I'm generally not a big fan of the guy, but this is probably the funniest material I've heard him do.

Does netflix not let you organize your queue anymore? I had everything grouped together in a very specific order, but now it seems to be partly by date added and partly random instead.
Since they renamed the Instant Queue "My List," you have to manually select the option to sort it how you want. Otherwise it's automatic by date added, I think.

Emwitus

Prison Break- Adventure(really the first two seasons, but the first one is so good).
Fringe- SciFi
Supernatural- SciFi/Adventure
Burn Notice- Adventure
X-Files- SciFi/Adventure
Psych- Adventure

Not really what you are looking for in terms of length, but short and sweet and well worth the watch:

Jericho- SciFi/Adventure
Terriers- Adventure
Friday Night Lights (drama, but it will stuck you in)
Luther
Hell on Wheels

Kinda used the term Adventure loosely. Based off what you listed above, I would say check out Prison Break, Fringe and Supernatural. Give Friday Night Lights a shot, since it is one of the best dramas around. And it is the rare perfect series ending. Luther and Terriers are sleeper hits. Both are really short though.
Thanks so much gk88. I've watched prison break but its right in the ball park of what I'm looking for so I trust the recos. I've heard good things about jericho so I might check that out first. Thanks again

cluto

Did they just update the Netflix app on 360? I really like it. You can actually select individual episodes now without having to start the video first.

EDIT: Oh, apparently the new UI came out a little while ago and I wasn't paying attention.

Not that there's been many, but I haven't seen a bad Korean film in my life. Watching A Company Man right now and it's great. It's a dark comedy about a dude who works for a company, a company that specializes in assassination. It's not that funny but it's excellent so far and I'm not even 45min in.

Just saw this movie then other day and I must say I enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Robin Hood (Animation, Family, Adventure)
The Iceman (Crime, Thriller)
The Sword in the Stone (Animation, Family, Adventure)
Video Game High School (TV, Comedy)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Added today:

Robin Hood (Animation, Family, Adventure)
The Iceman (Crime, Thriller)
The Sword in the Stone (Animation, Family, Adventure)
Video Game High School (TV, Comedy)

Loved these as a kid... still remember the lyrics from Robin Hood

Robin Hood and Little John
Walkin' through the forest,
Laughin' back n' forth at what the other'n had to say
Reminiscin' this n' that'n and havin' such a good time,
Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally. Golly, what a day

sorry for the punctuation...

boohowc

Banned
just realized that you can press the R3 (right thumbstick) on ps4 to pull up stream info. i knew you could do this in ps3 as well but i forgot what the button was as I had it mapped on my harmony remote.

FYC

Banned
I watched Bernie this past week. Was a really enjoyable movie.

As someone from The South, the people interviewed were very authentic. I could believe I'd run into them in my own home town. And they weren't portrayed as idiots, either, which is always a relief.

Yeah, just watched it. Great stuff.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Loved these as a kid... still remember the lyrics from Robin Hood

Robin Hood and Little John
Walkin' through the forest,
Laughin' back n' forth at what the other'n had to say
Reminiscin' this n' that'n and havin' such a good time,
Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally. Golly, what a day

sorry for the punctuation...

Brings back memories. Such timeless classics.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I thought Video Game High School was a movie not a TV show? Saw the movie couple months ago. Is it series now?

I think one spawned the other. I saw the movie too. Enjoyed it for what it was. Didnt know about the series until now.

I thought Video Game High School was a movie not a TV show? Saw the movie couple months ago. Is it series now?

I think one spawned the other. I saw the movie too. Enjoyed it for what it was. Didnt know about the series until now.

It was originally a kickstarted youtube webseries. When they made the deal with Netflix for the first season.. they essentially just edited the whole thing into a movie. The new "series" version that they have on Netflix has both seasons seperated into episodes.

It's still a webseries btw. Whenever the new season comes out (will be awhile since S2 just ended) it will likely be released as episodes on youtube again.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Farscape Seasons 1-4 (TV, Action, SciFi)
For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism (Documentary)
Losers Take All (Indie, Comedy)
Sins & Secrets: Season 3 (TV, Documentary, Crime)
The Making of VGHS: The Behind the Scenes Feature Documentary

UK:

Farscape Seasons 1-4 (TV, Action, SciFi)
The Last Stand (Action)

Netherlands:

BlackFish (Documentary)
John Carter (Action, SciFi)
The Rookie (Drama, Sports)

Sen²

I just watched Adventureland and really liked it.

I watched about half of it before I realized it was supposed to take place in 1987. I was just like "man, these are the hippest kids ever." The movie wasn't perfect, there were some tonal inconsistencies, I felt. I really bought into the drama and romance so I absolutely despised Rego's character and his inane injections into otherwise engaging dramatic scenes. There was this really sweet moment between Brennen and M and then it just cuts to Rego pissing on a window... It sells itself short, its almost like the movie didn't have enough confidence to just be what it is: a super melancholic experience. Theres the shape of a really incredible movie somewhere beneath, but the movie just wasn't sensitive enough. I LOVED the fact that the characters never really talk about their problems and only talk about their parents problems, etc. Really touching movie, and Kristen Stewert is actually pretty great. I'll also watch anything with Jesse Eisenberg.

I don't know, there were so many perfect and clever moments, but it just wasn't assembled right. It needed about 10 minutes cut from it and a bit more focus and it would have been a legitimately GREAT movie. I recommend everyone see it.

After having read your post I decided to give this movie a shot and I'm surprised to say I actually enjoyed it a lot. So, I just wanted to say thanks for that! You don't happen to know any movies similar to Adventureland?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Subbed finally.
2. Sucks I can't delete my kids' shows (Caillou) from my history (ipad anyone?)
3. DREDD was amazing! Highly recommend watching it with good headphones on. THAT BASS.
4. Halfway through Old Boy. It's awesome.

moar plz

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
^Make a separate profile(under your netflix account) for your kid. So the kids history doesnt interfere with yours.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Sen²;91541617 said:
After having read your post I decided to give this movie a shot and I'm surprised to say I actually enjoyed it a lot. So, I just wanted to say thanks for that! You don't happen to know any movies similar to Adventureland?

you're looking for quirky indies in a brown tone:
Lars and the Real Girl
Safety Not Guaranteed
Juno
Seeking a friend for the end of the world
Dan in Real Life

-- not sure which of those are on netflix other than SNG and LATRG.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just noticed some stuff expiring on 12/1:

Bully (the movie, not the documentary)
Carrie
The Last of the Mohicans
The Naked Gun (but not the sequels)
Vanilla Sky

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sen²;91541617 said:

Theres a 2006 movie called Dance Party, USA thats similar.

Haven't watched anything worth writing up lately, I just consumed Parks and Rec season5 which was fun but now its over and I'm back to movie watching.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wait ... what does "expires" mean? They're no longer available? Any reasoning on that other than "that would be too awesome and I don't deserve it?"

Edit: I'm new to netflix but this explains a couple things.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Wait ... what does "expires" mean? They're no longer available? Any reasoning on that other than "that would be too awesome and I don't deserve it?"

Yup, no longer available for streaming. Usually the titles that are expiring aren't known until two weeks before they are set to disappear. It can be any number of reasons as to why they are being taken down. The main suspect tends to be its time for Netflix to pony up the cash again.

Edit: I'm new to netflix but this explains a couple things.

Contracts expire. Most of the time the stuff that gets taken down gets added again eventually after new contracts are signed but occasionally big deals go down and stuff is gone forever. Like Netflix used to have a deal with STARZ so they got STARZ movies and series, including Disney stuff.. then STARZ decided not to renew so the stuff was taken down. A year or two later Netflix made a deal with Disney directly and now they have Disney films back.

Kaladin

Europa Report - You know exactly what your're in for with this one. It is very predictable, but they get the setting and everything else right. B+

Olympus Has Fallen - Again, very predictable, but fun action movie. They do everything you probably can with the given plot, so that's a good thing at least. B-

Upside Down - Interesting world saddled with a really boring love story plot. I mean, there has to be a better story you can tell with this world they have created. Also, why can't she risk life and limb to go down to him? The conclusion is also one of those plot points where it seems like they were running out of ideas and just had to end it somehow. Also, this movie wins the award for the worst narration ever. B

Also, word of warning, Olympus Has Fallen is badly cropped. I mean, at points I felt like I was watching an HD TV station on a 4:3 screen.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Thanks for the explanation guys.

Old boy -- a masterpiece of Tarantino meets Greek tragedy meets exquisite Asian cinema. My god this movie was good. 5/5

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Agree 100% with you Sandman on Upside Down. They really wasted this fascinating world on a crappy love story.

Kaladin

Agree 100% with you Sandman on Upside Down. They really wasted this fascinating world on a crappy love story.

Even worse, they created a fascinating subplot of
the Transworld corporation and the beauty cream....and the guy discovering how it can be applied elsewhere in the world
, but they just yada yada'd that away at the end of the movie.....WTF?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Cake Boss: Season 7 (TV, Reality)
What Not to Wear Season 10 (TV, Reality)

Canada:

Amelie (Drama, Foreign)
Snakes on a Plane (Action, Spoof)
Satyagraha (Drama, Bollywood)
White T (Comedy)

My watchlist this week:

- Amelie (Drama/Comedy)
- Hit & Run (TV Drama - Mini series)
- Malèna (Drama/Comedy)
- Craiglist Joe (Documentary)

All were pretty good movies. :)

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
As far as I've seen you can only pay monthly for Netflix. They don't offer long term subs.

You can get long term. I just got a one year subscription for my parents yesterday as a Christmas gift. No deal though - its still $7.99 x 12 = $95.88. They also offer 3 and 6 month subscriptions.

Thanks guys, I was hopping for some kind of discount for a year subscription.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The Road -- Jesus that was depressing. Not perfect but utterly enthralling. Viggo is just a damn fine actor. 4/5

End of Watch -- I had high expectations for this and it mostly delivered. I didn't mind the found-footage/setup mashup like some did. I did feel exploited somewhat but that's ok. Surprisingly gruesome and probably could have been more effective if some of that was left to the imagination. Gyllenhal was great as always, Pena was just outstanding. Training Day was better, but that's an awfully high bar to clear. 4/5

So after a 3-day stretch of oldboy, the road, and end of watch, I need something a little lighter. Any recs?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back-
Paranorman
Beverly Hills Cop
The Good, the Bad, the Weird (Foreign film)

Over the top nonsense: Sharknado.

adg1034

The Road -- Jesus that was depressing. Not perfect but utterly enthralling. Viggo is just a damn fine actor. 4/5

End of Watch -- I had high expectations for this and it mostly delivered. I didn't mind the found-footage/setup mashup like some did. I did feel exploited somewhat but that's ok. Surprisingly gruesome and probably could have been more effective if some of that was left to the imagination. Gyllenhal was great as always, Pena was just outstanding. Training Day was better, but that's an awfully high bar to clear. 4/5

So after a 3-day stretch of oldboy, the road, and end of watch, I need something a little lighter. Any recs?

Cabin in the Woods. Full stop.

But I'm guessing you've already seen it?

Top Bottom