• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ireland. But they share the same stuff (sometimes less) as UK. So they probably have only two seasons as well. Doesn't hurt to check though.

LakeEarth

Anyone else having trouble having the connection stay stable? Every movie I watch, it alternates from 1080p Super HD to sub 240p every few minutes. Anyone else having this trouble, or would it be an ISP thing?

While it was alternating, I used a speedtest on my PC and it was hovering in the ~10mbps region which should be enough to hold HD.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Louder Than A Bomb: Great documentary that follows around four Chicago schools that compete in a poetry contest. The passion these kids have is downright amazing. I wish I could have a way with words like they do. Only negative is the ending seems rushed and they don't show the full competition towards the end.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Good action flick. Just shut off your mind and enjoy.

Upside Down: Great visuals/camera work centered around a sappy love story. Didn't care much about the love story. Probably worth it for the visuals, but don't expect much in terms of story. Interesting concept that seems to go to waste here.

Anyone else having trouble having the connection stay stable? Every movie I watch, it alternates from 1080p Super HD to sub 240p every few minutes. Anyone else having this trouble, or would it be an ISP thing?

While it was alternating, I used a speedtest on my PC and it was hovering in the ~10mbps region which should be enough to hold HD.

Oh man, I thought my connection was acting up. It was fine early evening. But it went to shit a few hours ago.

Raw Deal is a pretty solid noir flick. It's about a convict in prison who took the fall for a crime in return for $50 grand. The gangster dude who he took the fall for (and who owes him money) sets up the con's escape from prison, knowing that he'll end up being captured anyway and has no plans to give the guy his money. But the con gets further than planned! Also he brings along his girlfriend to flee the country, and his legal caseworker, and there's drama over which one he really loves. It's good shit, gets pretty tense especially near the end.

Redemption, starring Jason Statham, is good if you like Jason Statham's movies. It's a little bit different from what he does but, he's still a super bad ass.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Redemption, starring Jason Statham, is good if you like Jason Statham's movies. It's a little bit different from what he does but, he's still a super bad ass.

Added to my list. My favorite Statham movie is, "In the Name of the King."

Only half joking. I love bad movies.

Watched it yesterday and it was definitely.. different. Overall a good movie though.

On another front, just finished up my Netflix Chuck viewing. I did watch the whole series when it was on TV though. A lot of people like to talk about ignoring the last 2 or 3 seasons (similar to how people say to ignore the final season of Scrubs with the new cast) but I have to say that unlike Scrubs.. all the seasons of Chuck are extremely good. S4 is probably the weakest overall but still has some gems and S5 is actually really, really good in terms of character development and growth up til about the 10th episode or so. Ep 10-13 there are some decisions that they made with the writing that were a little funky from a fan viewpoint but I still feel like when all is said and done they wrapped it up nicely and ended it on a great note.

Watched it yesterday and it was definitely.. different. Overall a good movie though.

On another front, just finished up my Netflix Chuck viewing. I did watch the whole series when it was on TV though. A lot of people like to talk about ignoring the last 2 or 3 seasons (similar to how people say to ignore the final season of Scrubs with the new cast) but I have to say that unlike Scrubs.. all the seasons of Chuck are extremely good. S4 is probably the weakest overall but still has some gems and S5 is actually really, really good in terms of character development and growth up til about the 10th episode or so. Ep 10-13 there are some decisions that they made with the writing that were a little funky from a fan viewpoint but I still feel like when all is said and done they wrapped it up nicely and ended it on a great note.

I wasn't high on season five of Chuck at the start but, after I finished it I do agree that it was a better season than four. I remembered why I didn't finish season five too...
I got mad that Sarah "forgot" Chuck and figured it was over between them. This was because the show takes a long time to resolve anything between them and it's time was limited. I figured if the series continued we would have a whole season of Chuck chasing Sarah and if it ended it would be broken.
I'm glad I finished it though.

I wasn't crazy about the ending.

If you think about it as whole, it fits.
He was trying to not be the guy who was trained to hurt people. That's kind of what made it different though. He was a bad ass but, wanted to have his normal life back.

Added to my list. My favorite Statham movie is, "In the Name of the King."

Only half joking. I love bad movies.

I don't think I'll ever grow tired of watching Statham punch people in the throat...lol.

slit

I noticed MST3000 is back but with only a few episodes. I've seen all of those. I've probably seen most of them but it would be nice if they brought back the huge collection they had before.

I love me some Mystery Science Theater.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Russell Peters Christmas (Comedy)
Augustine (Drama, Foreign)
Dragon Knight (Action, Drama, Foreign)
Exploding Sun (TV, Mini-series, SciFi)
Into the Cold: A Journey to the Soul (Documentary, Science, Nature)
Joan Rivers: Don't Start with Me (Standup)
Lilyhammer: Season 2 (Trailer)
Max Steel (TV, Kids)
Only God Forgives (Crime, Thriller)
Stalker (Thriller)
Teen Beach Movie (Family, Comedy)
The American (Crime, Thriller)
The Last Tycoon (Action, Foreign)
Tomorrow Will Be Better (Documentary, Sports/MX, Foreign)

Kaladin

I'm saving a lot for my week of overnight shifts I have coming up early December. All these new series getting added are going to be awesome for that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netherlands:

13 Going on 30 (Comedy)
2012 (Action)
Angels & Demons (Action, Thriller)
Big Daddy (Comedy)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Animation, Family, Comedy)
District 9 (Action, SciFi)
Hancock (Action)
Harry Brown (Action, Thriller)
Hitch (Comedy)
Matilda (Family, Comedy)
Michael Jackon's This Is It (Music, Documentary)
National Security (Action, Comedy)
Paul Blart: Mall Cop (Comedy)
Pineapple Express (Comedy)
Punisher: Warzone (Action)
Seven Pounds (Drama)
Spiderman (Action)
Spiderman 2 (Action)
Stuart Little (Family, Adventure)
Stuart Little 2 (Family, Adventure)
Taking Pelham 123 (Action, Thriller)
Terminator: Salvation (Action)
The House Bunny (Comedy)
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (Action, Fantasy)
Zombieland (Action, Comedy)

Netherlands winning today.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hell for a good year or two after they nixed party chat and before HD content became the norm on Netflix I'd say the Wii app outperformed the 360 one.

Also a netflix rep I know said that the reason the One isn't getting the new UI right away if ever is some dumb restriction by MS to make all their video content appear a certain way.

This is also holding back the Wii U version by the way. Shame really as it's pretty good outside of those launch period freezing issues.

I used the Wii app for a while, and then when I got a new TV that had Netflix built in I used that. But a few years ago I bought an Apple TV and haven't messed with anything since except for tablet and phone apps.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Okay... so these Netflix shows like OitNB are pretty awesome... but how the heck can I wait for the next season!

It's going to feel even longer than a normal break (which is already forever-feeling)

sigh.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the first episode of OitNB today. It was good, but not great. I'll give it a few more episodes before I judge it. The Netflix shows are hit or miss - House of Cards was fantastic, one of my favorite shows, but Hemlock Grove was abysmal.

I saw Side Effects tonight, with Jude Law, Rooney Mara, and Catherine Zeta-Jones. It was a pretty heavy and dark thriller/drama, but it was really good. Highly recommended.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I just watched the first episode of OitNB today. It was good, but not great. I'll give it a few more episodes before I judge it. The Netflix shows are hit or miss - House of Cards was fantastic, one of my favorite shows, but Hemlock Grove was abysmal.

I saw Side Effects tonight, with Jude Law, Rooney Mara, and Catherine Zeta-Jones. It was a pretty heavy and dark thriller/drama, but it was really good. Highly recommended.

It gets better. About halfway through (or so) it becomes apparent that the show is very self-aware. It zigs a lot when you expect zags. At least, imo.

The weakest part of the whole thing is that the girl from That 70's Show seriously cannot act to save her life in any scene that isn't snarky comedy. But even then I don't find her too bad for some reason.

How do you guys choose what to watch when you seemingly are running low on interesting things to watch.

I don't really run low on interesting things to watch but, sometimes nothing I see interests me at that moment. It feels odd to have 300 movies in your list and not want to watch any of them but, it happens from time to time. When that happens I use Max or I'll just randomly pick something out of a specific genre to see what happens.

I also explore TV series that I previously haven't watched. That has proven to be the best way to kill the Netflix doldrums for me.

Yeah I started watching Orange too. My wife is into it more than I am (!) but it's pretty good. The main girl reminds me of a young Kirsten Wiig with the whole awkward white girl thing. House of Cards w/Robin Wright is more my thing though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I restarted Arrow from the beginning (before, I watched the first 8 or so episodes) again. The acting is rough. But the action is really well done. I'm powering through it since it picks up around 10ish I think.

Also started Chuck, first impressions, great little comedy with some heart.

Probably will be my two series for now.

I restarted Arrow from the beginning (before, I watched the first 8 or so episodes) again. The acting is rough. But the action is really well done. I'm powering through it since it picks up around 10ish I think.

Also started Chuck, first impressions, great little comedy with some heart.

Probably will be my two series for now.

Second half of the first season of Arrow is great. Especially great season finale. The acting gets better, but nothing that will win any Emmys or anything.

As for Chuck, the first season is fun, but the second season is one of those rare perfect TV seasons. Season 2 is why the show got such a passionate and loyal fanbase. Seasons 3-5, while being a big step down from 2, are still a lot of fun.

The good thing with Chuck is that it never loses that heart.

And just for kicks, I will share one of my favorite moments from Chuck. A scene that is all I can think about anytime I hear this song: (non spoilery)
http://youtu.be/1wzL8-jcyOE

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It gets better. About halfway through (or so) it becomes apparent that the show is very self-aware. It zigs a lot when you expect zags. At least, imo.

The weakest part of the whole thing is that the girl from That 70's Show seriously cannot act to save her life in any scene that isn't snarky comedy. But even then I don't find her too bad for some reason.

Good to hear, I'll stick with it then. Yeah when she first showed up I was like whoah, is that Donna from That 70s Show?? Then I realized I couldn't take her seriously as a serious, no-nonsense drug dealer. Then towards the end of the episode I realized that she actually can't really act all that well.

Top Bottom