• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Kaladin

I'm into Chuck Season 2. It starts off kinda meh, but quickly picks up pace. I'm a bit annoyed by the Chuck / Sarah relationship at this point though. They overplay the fact that Sarah is jealous of everything but can't do anything about it.

I'm happy at least that it has moved passed the mostly episodic nature of the first season and there now seems to be a real story arc in place.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is Scrooged the only Christmas Movie on Netflix at the moment?

Nightmare Before Christmas.
Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales/I Want a Dog for Christmas.
Jack Frost.
The Polar Express.
Christmas Carol: The Movie.
National Lampson's Christmas Vacation.
Jingle All the Way.

I think Canada has a better collection.

So AHS is worth watching then? I heard season 1 was pretty rough.

Nah dude, not worth it at all...

4VQ5djA.gif

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just noticed some expiring stuff in the US:

Thor - 12/9
The Dresden Files - 12/15
WWE: 50 Greatest Finishing Moves - 12/15

I've got to disagree with some of the above posters on this. I thought the first season was the best one so far. Season 2 had some good moments, but I found too scatterbrained overall.

Fully agreed. S1 was fantastic, as is S3. S2 however was hugely disappointing with story arcs that went nowhere then abruptly ended, a mess of character development and overall not that much happening.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's interesting that it seems as though most fans of American Horror Story season 1 dislike season 2 (or don't like it as much), while fans of season 2 dislike season 1 (or don't like it as much).

Netflix Will Introduce ‘Turbo FAST’ On December 24

Interesting that they're not releasing all of the episodes at once. I hope they don't start to do this with their adult series.

When asked whether other series could be similarly staggered, a company spokeswoman told CNN Money “historically, we have said that original series will be released in ways that best support the story, so if it suits the show, it is always possible we could release in a different way.”

Source.

Hm.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Coming soon:

The Dick Van Dyke Show (Dec 15th)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Warrior of the Lost World, Night of the Blood Beast, Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies (19th)
Chocolate (19th)
Sherlock Holmes (RDJ version, 30th)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Laserblast, Final Justice,The Phantom Planet, Future War (30th)

Jan 1st:

Amelie
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Paulie
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Mouse Hunt
Good Burger
The Longest Yard ('74)
The Amityville Horror ('79)
Amityville II: The Possession
Amityville 3D
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Escape from Alcatraz
The Virgin Suicides
Days of Thunder
The Day the Earth Stood Still ('51)
Red Dawn ('84)
Beverly Hills Cop 3
Big Trouble in Little China
Tora Tora Tora
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 1
Juice
Ghost

I thought AHS S1 was great. The characters were great, it was twisted and dark. Had it moments of scares. I just started S2 yesterday, so I can't anything about it yet. Although, it starts off great.

Welcome back!

I agree -- S1 was great (regardless of the chunky plot holes). Haven't seen S2 yet, but I just can't seem to get into S3. Maybe it's just that the topic (witches, voodoo) don't really interest me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
could've swore the first season of Hitchcock Presents was already on there.

Just checked, seasons two and three are up. That would be for first one.

Welcome back!

I agree -- S1 was great (regardless of the chunky plot holes). Haven't seen S2 yet, but I just can't seem to get into S3. Maybe it's just that the topic (witches, voodoo) don't really interest me.

Thanks buddy!

I'm liking season two. I'm a huge fan of Zachary Quinto so it was a nice surprise to see him. Jessica Lange has been top notch. Love her.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix picks up documentary on Romney campaign.

Netflix will continue its dive into original documentaries with the premiere of Mitt, a behind-the-scenes look at Mitt Romney from 2006 through his presidential candidacy. Though the film will debut at Sundance on January 17th, Netflix will begin showing it exclusively just one week later — on Friday, January 24th — in all areas where its service is available. According to Variety, Netflix has acquired both theatrical and television rights for airing the documentary. It'll only be streaming for now, but Netflix has previously said that it's considering the idea of theatrically releasing films as well.

Netflix says that Mitt's filmmakers were given "unprecedented" access to the Romney family, with director Greg Whiteley getting to travel alongside his presidential campaign, watch Mitt prepare for debates, and film moments with his family. "I first met and filmed the Romney family in Park City in 2006 as they gathered to discuss whether Mitt should run for President," Mitt director Greg Whiteley says in a statement. "Over the next seven years I couldn't believe I was filming inside rooms and situations I had no business being in." Whiteley has previously directed two other documentaries, Resolved and New York Doll. According to IMDB, he also worked on The King of Kong, which was directed by Mitt's executive producer, Seth Gordon.

With the acquisition of rights for Mitt, Netflix has started to assembled quite the slate of documentaries to release over the next several months. It'll release its first title, The Short Game, on Thursday, and early next year will begin streaming The Square, which is on the shortlist for potential Oscar nominees. Netflix said in July that it would begin moving into original documentaries, and while rights acquisitions didn't begin occurring until recently, it appears to be off to an aggressive start — and if both The Square and Mitt receive plenty of buzz this winter, Netflix's bet might quickly pay off.

Oh man, American Horror Story: Asylum is a lot of fun. Just watched the first three and am loving it. Will most definitely be watching S1 after I finish, and getting S3 ready on the DVR. This is one of the most interesting shows I have seen in a while and I have no idea what to expect. Gonna be hard not marathoning this.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Full list a bit later, but Futurama S10, Cleveland show S4, and Ultimate Spiderman S2 were added today.

Edit- Canada got City of God. Been wanting to check out the movie for awhile now.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
There are ten seasons of Futurama?! Didn't it originally end at S4/5? I really thought they had only done a couple more...

zert

Anyone else got the new Netflix UI? I started watching a movie with the old UI and when it finished I had the new one haha without any update (I'm using PS3). Looks good.

Full list a bit later, but Futurama S10, Cleveland show S4, and Ultimate Spiderman S2 were added today.

Sweet. Been waiting forever for the new season of the Cleveland Show. BTW - is that still going? I haven't seen it on Fox in ages. But I'm not sure if its cancelled or if its one of those deals where it doesn't air until January/February.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sweet. Been waiting forever for the new season of the Cleveland Show. BTW - is that still going? I haven't seen it on Fox in ages. But I'm not sure if its cancelled or if its one of those deals where it doesn't air until January/February.

It was cancelled. Season 4 is its last season.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Finished S1 of Louie and not sure I'll go on. There are some truly extraordinary bits of humor sprinkled throughout, but jesus damn the show is utterly depressing.

I'm been on a bit of a cold streak, too:
-- Got through about 30 minutes of In Bruges (Colin Ferrel is a hitman stuck in a bed and breakfast in Belgiam) before backing out;

-- and I tried watching Equilibrium (Christian Bale! Sean Bean!) and in the first few minutes the narrator explains that in the early 21st century we see WWIII and humans agree to stamp out all emotion. Then they discover the mona lisa hidden and burn it. And then a pink late-90s cadillac pulls u...I'M OUT.

If anyone insists these are worth a finish, I'll reconsider. Think I'll rewatch Skyfall or Ghost Protocol for now. Needing recs bad. (streaming/US)

Finished S1 of Louie and not sure I'll go on. There are some truly extraordinary bits of humor sprinkled throughout, but jesus damn the show is utterly depressing.

-- Got through about 30 minutes of In Bruges (Colin Ferrel is a hitman stuck in a bed and breakfast in Belgiam) before backing out;

-- and I tried watching Equilibrium (Christian Bale! Sean Bean!) and in the first few minutes the narrator explains that in the early 21st century we see WWIII and humans agree to stamp out all emotion. Then they discover the mona lisa hidden and burn it. And then a pink late-90s cadillac pulls u...I'M OUT.

If anyone insists these are worth a finish, I'll reconsider. Think I'll rewatch Skyfall or Ghost Protocol for now. Needing recs bad. (streaming/US)

Glad to see I am not the only one. I watched 3 episodes and just had to stop. There are some funny bits in there but overall, the show is very depressing.

Equilibrium is overrated crap. Great cast at least.

If you want a good show to marathon, I would VERY highly recommend Arrow. Only one season, so it is not a huge commitment.

Equilibrium has cool fight scenes. That's really all it's worth.

jakncoke

Banned

Chefs going to be out in the 1st round over this post

Yeah In Bruges did nothing for me, but it seems to be popular around here. I couldn't get into Louie either - it's just him looking sad most of the time. I have Equilibrium on my cue, but I think I'll axe it now.

RBH

bojack.jpg

Netflix has acquired animated comedy “BoJack Horseman,” voiced by Will Arnett and Aaron Paul, from Michael Eisner’s Tornante Co.

Series, with all 12 episodes set to bow on Netflix sometime in mid-2014, revolves around whiskey-drinking humanoid horse BoJack (Arnett) who deals with his personal crises with human sidekick Todd (Paul) and feline agent and ex-lover Princess Caroline (Amy Sedaris). “BoJack Horseman” will be available in all Netflix territories.

“Even though he’s been out to pasture, I’ve always admired BoJack for his inimitable style and can-do attitude,” Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos said. “I couldn’t be more thrilled that he’s getting off his legendary haunches to join the Internet TV revolution here on Netflix.”

“BoJack Horseman” was created by Raphael Bob-Waksberg. Netflix joked in announcing the deal that the show is based on the “legendary star of the 1990s family favorite sitcom ‘Horsin’ Around’” — which never existed. The series will be executive produced by Bob-Waksberg, Steven A. Cohen and Noel Bright, with Arnett and Paul also serving as exec producers. BoJack was designed by graphic artist Lisa Hanawalt and the series will be animated by L.A.-based ShadowMachine.

“As a studio executive involved in successful sitcoms like ‘Happy Days,’ ‘Barney Miller’ and ‘Cheers,’ I always regretted BoJack wasn’t on my team,” Michael Eisner said in a statement. “But now, with Tornante in the saddle, BoJack is exactly where he belongs, in full creative control, and on Netflix.”
http://variety.com/2013/digital/new...imated-comedy-to-originals-stable-1200944280/

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Have you seen The Fall yet? Or Luther?

I watched The Bletchley Circle a few weeks back, kind of on a whim, pretty good for something out of left field (WWII-era female code-breakers try to stop a serial killer) the odd premise got me interested but it was well acted with good characters and that kept me watching through the three eps.

Top Bottom