• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It was as ridiculous and over the top as you'd expect any action movie to be. I think they took the concept to 11 bar having space aliens invade behind the terrorists and anal probe everyone. Those are the kind of movies you can forgive for having stupid WTF plot moments.

Yup, even with that moment, I thought it was good. Now to wait for White House Down to hit Netflix to see which is better.

Wow good additions for canada today!

Especially The Good Wife. Time to see what the hype is about.

watched a few movies over the past week or so.

Grabbers - A giant tentacle space monster attacks an Irish village. Villagers find out that the monster is allergic to alcohol in the blood so they form a plan to stay shit faced while they deal with the threat. It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be and it was a bit heavy handed with the romance subplot but it was enjoyable and worth a watch.

I watched this movie at random and actually enjoyed it. Interesting premise. I didn't go in expecting humor, but the humor scenes were alright/good for me.

Vyer

Started watching Archer again. Such an awesome show.

Just finished Olympus Has Fallen. I liked it. I can see why people would hate it though. About 20 minutes in, I realized how over the top the movie was going to be, and just went with it.

Things I didn't like:

The CGI can be terrible at times. Like cable channel CGI terrible.
The plot:
Seriously, why the fuck would you give up the last code? Makes no sense. On top of that, if they thought the president was dead, why didn't they go in guns blazing?

What the movie has going for it is the action. Secret Service Rambo worked for me. Yes it is ridiculous, and yes, I didn't care. It was a good action movie.

Pretty much how I felt about it. Unapologetic over the top dumb action can be enjoyable. Felt the same way about Battleship tbh.

adg1034

Especially The Good Wife. Time to see what the hype is about.

Oh, man. I wish I could watch it from the beginning again. It starts off fine, but it really hits its stride (especially humor-wise) a few episodes in.

And for all you non-Canadians out there, S1-4 are already free for Amazon Prime members (or on Netflix if you use HolaUnblocker or Unblock-us).

Jag

Any good standup recommendations? I've seen the Louis CK stuff, seen all of Carlin and Pryor and just watched Anziz Ansari (sp) who I really liked although wasn't sure if I would like his standup.

sladeums

Any good standup recommendations? I've seen the Louis CK stuff, seen all of Carlin and Pryor and just watched Anziz Ansari (sp) who I really liked although wasn't sure if I would like his standup.

Jim Jefferies
Jim Norton
Joe Rogan
Daniel Tosh

Doug Stanhope's Beer Hall Putsch I thought was so-so, but worth a rec for probably the single most sexually graphic and lewd (and long) joke I've heard.

I watched 666 Park Avenue, or as it would be better named, Satan's Soap Opera. It was alright but, I see why it got canceled. If there had been a season two I probably would have watched it though.

I also watched Zombie Hunter. I love grind house and this movie has some of that element to it but, overall it's pretty bad. I can't tell if it is over the top bad because it is intended or because it just sucked.

Jimothy

If Netflix has taught me anything, it's that 96% of standup comedians are not funny. Pretty much all of the good specials on Netflix are from established comedians like Bill Burr and Louis CK. The rest are mostly unknowns, and for good reason. They fucking suck.

Jag

If Netflix has taught me anything, it's that 96% of standup comedians are not funny. Pretty much all of the good specials on Netflix are from established comedians like Bill Burr and Louis CK. The rest are mostly unknowns, and for good reason. They fucking suck.

Thanks for the recs. I'll check out Bill Burr, haven't heard him before.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, man. I wish I could watch it from the beginning again. It starts off fine, but it really hits its stride (especially humor-wise) a few episodes in.

And for all you non-Canadians out there, S1-4 are already free for Amazon Prime members (or on Netflix if you use HolaUnblocker or Unblock-us).

Yeah I was gonna mention that this is already on Amazon Prime. I watched maybe 4-5 episodes of the first season but never pursued it any further.

Does anyone have the issue of starting a series, watching half of the first season, and then never getting around to finishing it? I have a ton of series where I've watched a good number of episodes and really enjoyed them, but never got around to finishing them. Off the top of my head:
- Grey's Anatomy (I'm towards the end of season 2)
- The Good Wife (watched 4-5 episodes of season 1)
- Justified (watched 3 episodes of season 1)
- Breaking Bad (I'm towards the middle of season 4)
- The Walking Dead (I'm towards the middle of season 3)
- Downton Abbey (watched 2-3 episodes of season 1)
- Chuck (I'm somewhere towards the end of season 2)
- Fringe (watched 4-5 episodes of season 1)

And this doesn't even include the sitcoms I've been watching (New Girl, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia). I know I should just pick a single show and finish it, but I can never motivate myself to do so.

Yeah I was gonna mention that this is already on Amazon Prime. I watched maybe 4-5 episodes of the first season but never pursued it any further.

Does anyone have the issue of starting a series, watching half of the first season, and then never getting around to finishing it? I have a ton of series where I've watched a good number of episodes and really enjoyed them, but never got around to finishing them. Off the top of my head:
- Grey's Anatomy (I'm towards the end of season 2)
- The Good Wife (watched 4-5 episodes of season 1)
- Justified (watched 3 episodes of season 1)
- Breaking Bad (I'm towards the middle of season 4)
- The Walking Dead (I'm towards the middle of season 3)
- Downton Abbey (watched 2-3 episodes of season 1)
- Chuck (I'm somewhere towards the end of season 2)
- Fringe (watched 4-5 episodes of season 1)

And this doesn't even include the sitcoms I've been watching (New Girl, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia). I know I should just pick a single show and finish it, but I can never motivate myself to do so.

Happens to me sometimes, particularly if shows have long seasons or if I get busy. Most recently, I've gotten about halfway through Archer season 3 and Fringe season 3. Not sure if I'll return to either.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

All the time. It is a bad habit I have. Usually it is because new episodes of past shows go up or a new series goes up that catches my attention. I tend to go back at some point though.

Pretty good. I guess I will wait for it then watch it weekly over at Netflix UK.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

American Addict (Documentary, Cultural)
Not Fade Away (Drama. Musical)
Randy to the Rescue (TV, Reality)

Canada:

(A) Sexual (Documentary, Social)
Barney: We Love Our Family, Sharing is Caring (TV, Kids)
Rubbadubbers: High Noon in the Bathroom (TV, Kids)
Scooby-Doo!: Mystery Incorporated (TV, Klids)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Blackfish is heartbreaking.

Saw Blackfish...as I am sure others have, definitely recommend this.

Recommending it as well. Like Mackenzie said, it is heartbreaking. The documentary made me sad. Not only do you feel for the animals, but for the people who lost their lives. Really good documentary. Just expect it to bum you out and have a hatred towards Seaworld.

Edit- I will say that dude Ken (I think that was his name) was calm as shit. To have a whale grab your foot and drag you to the bottom of the tank and keep you there for a minute plus, take you up and take you back down, and keep your composure is amazing. I would have been freaking out.

FloatOn

Alright so.... I'm a fan of David Lynch and I've only seen the first episode of Twin Peaks. Should I take the plunge?

I have to be in a very particular mood to watch Lynch so I don't know if the timing is right. I'm also considering American Horror Story season 2 and Hemlock Grove.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm only a few episodes into AHS S2, but I'm liking it. Mostly due to the fact that I think Jessica and Zachary are amazing in this. Twin Peaks gets near universal love, so I would say check it out first. Helmock is alright and should be at the bottom out of those three.

Recommending it as well. Like Mackenzie said, it is heartbreaking. The documentary made me sad. Not only do you feel for the animals, but for the people who lost their lives. Really good documentary. Just expect it to bum you out and have a hatred towards Seaworld.

Edit- I will say that dude Ken (I think that was his name) was calm as shit. To have a whale grab your foot and drag you to the bottom of the tank and keep you there for a minute plus, take you up and take you back down, and keep your composure is amazing. I would have been freaking out.

Is it anti-killerwhale captivity or zoos in general?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is it anti-killerwhale captivity or zoos in general?

Anti-KW captivity. There are a few comments about zoo in general, but the majority of the film is talking about how inhumane it is to capture whales and place them in pools. On top of which they take babies away from mothers and places where whales beat up other whales. '

The other big thing is the trainers themselves being in harms way. They show footage of a few attacks on the trainers. Some of which were lucky to walk away from it.

Anti-KW captivity. There are a few comments about zoo in general, but the majority of the film is talking about how inhumane it is to capture whales and place them in pools. On top of which they take babies away from mothers and places where whales beat up other whales. '

The other big thing is the trainers themselves being in harms way. They show footage of a few attacks on the trainers. Some of which were lucky to walk away from it.

Ok, I'll watch it. I've been to seaworld a bunch so I didn't want to feel depressed about myself.

I definitely sympathize with the whales. It just doesn't seem like enough space. I don't know how the other animals like dolphins and seals feel. I do think seaworld does a lot of good though...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You will feel down after watching it. Or at least most people will. And you will probably hate SeaWorld. They come across as greedy mofos just looking out for their pockets.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
In Bruges -- gave this more than a 20 minute chance and it absolutely delivered. One can definitely tell the director hails from the stage, and this would be a hilariously violent play if they'd ever give it a chance. On screen, though, it achieves what few films have ever done for me -- made me genuinely laugh out loud in one moment and gasp in sadness the next. Please give this one a chance. I just loved it. 5/5

p.s. -- imagine early Tarantino or Four Rooms-style humor and banter without the pop references and mix in genuine humanity, all in an Irish accent. Perfect!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Have you started an episode of it yet or are you resisting starting it up because you don't like the actor?

tbh the trailers didn't do anything for me. that being said...i felt the same about oitnb and i loved that show.

i guesssss i should at least give one episode a chance...one day. :)

In Bruges -- gave this more than a 20 minute chance and it absolutely delivered. One can definitely tell the director hails from the stage, and this would be a hilariously violent play if they'd ever give it a chance. On screen, though, it achieves what few films have ever done for me -- made me genuinely laugh out loud in one moment and gasp in sadness the next. Please give this one a chance. I just loved it. 5/5

p.s. -- imagine early Tarantino or Four Rooms-style humor and banter without the pop references and mix in genuine humanity, all in an Irish accent. Perfect!
One of my favorites. Always puts a smile on my face.

Yea my wife and I were talking about this exact same thing Sunday night when we watched this. She believes the orca was trying kill Ken. But I disagreed saying the orca might have been either playing with Ken or "turning the tables" on him by doing a trick with him. I found it very interesting how it held on to Ken's foot without causing any type of lacerations. But nonetheless it was definitely terrifying. I will say the movie did leave a really bad taste in my mouth about Sea World though.

Only God Forgives

The photography and color editing is masterful. It's worth watching just for that. It looked fantastic, even for a Netflix HD stream. The story, characters and theme are all pretty banal, which was surprising considering how much effort was put into everything else. Is this the second movie in the Ryan Gosling stoic, silent and violent character trilogy, or was there another one before Drive?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yea my wife and I were talking about this exact same thing Sunday night when we watched this. She believes the orca was trying kill Ken. But I disagreed saying the orca might have been either playing with Ken or "turning the tables" on him by doing a trick with him. I found it very interesting how it held on to Ken's foot without causing any type of lacerations. But nonetheless it was definitely terrifying. I will say the movie did leave a really bad taste in my mouth about Sea World though.

I'm with you in that I think he was playing with Ken. If he was out to kill him, I think he would have thrash him around.

What is a good comedy to watch? I try a few out but they don't make me laugh...

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (Spoof, also a horror)
Jingle All the Way (unintentionally funny)
Super Troopers
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
White Chicks
Extract
Beverly Hills Cop (classic)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (classic)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (classic)
Coming to America (classic)
Sharknado (unintentionally funny)
Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (unintentionally funny)

Almost done with American Horror Story Asylum. WOW! I came in thinking it would be a guilty pleasure show, but I am really impressed overall. Great drama, great mysteries, excellent casting and performances. Seriously one of the most enjoyable things I have seen in years. Totally watching Season 1 after this.

LogicStep

I'm with you in that I think he was playing with Ken. If he was out to kill him, I think he would have thrash him around.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (Spoof, also a horror)
Jingle All the Way (unintentionally funny)
Super Troopers
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
White Chicks
Extract
Beverly Hills Cop (classic)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (classic)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (classic)
Coming to America (classic)
Sharknado (unintentionally funny)
Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (unintentionally funny)

Thanks man, I chose Extract for tonight!

Almost done with American Horror Story Asylum. WOW! I came in thinking it would be a guilty pleasure show, but I am really impressed overall. Great drama, great mysteries, excellent casting and performances. Seriously one of the most enjoyable things I have seen in years. Totally watching Season 1 after this.

Seasons 1 and 2 are great; two of my favorite series seasons of late. I'm in the middle of three, it's pretty good but, the jury is still out on it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
tbh the trailers didn't do anything for me. that being said...i felt the same about oitnb and i loved that show.

i guesssss i should at least give one episode a chance...one day. :)

I didn't like the look of him either before I watched the show, but it turns out he's pretty funny and the show itself is very charming and entertaining.

love the netflix roku3 profiles. wish the 2 would get updated already. very handy to have a kid specific profile.

just finished watching chuck. I'm always at a loss now with what to put on. I've recently rewatched LOST and Battlestar Galactica. Maybe I'll go Fringe. Haven't seen any of that show, but its undoubtedly up my alley. I hate the feeling after I finish a long series that I enjoyed, a bit of the doldrums. any suggestions like the shows above? I also need to catch the last season of Dexter when its posted in a couple weeks. I purposefully did not get showtime once the reviews rolled in.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
love the netflix roku3 profiles. wish the 2 would get updated already. very handy to have a kid specific profile.

just finished watching chuck. I'm always at a loss now with what to put on. I've recently rewatched LOST and Battlestar Galactica. Maybe I'll go Fringe. Haven't seen any of that show, but its undoubtedly up my alley. I hate the feeling after I finish a long series that I enjoyed, a bit of the doldrums. any suggestions like the shows above? I also need to catch the last season of Dexter when its posted in a couple weeks. I purposefully did not get showtime once the reviews rolled in.

Fringe is a great show. Continuum is an underrated show. Jericho is a show you might like. I haven't see it yet, since posters in the thread have said Farscape is good. I haven't seen many talk about it, but the 4400 looks decent. Might check it out soon.

iddqd

It's weird to me that ROKU 3 US has NO lists feature (movies you can cue up) while the Canadian one does. So yeah for Canada on the feature side but nay for content.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Anyone else having issues with Netflix on Roku 2 lately? I have trouble connecting, and if I do manage to connect I eventually get kicked with an error about my internet connection. Even though I can use Netflix fine on my PC. I tried a few suggestions to fix the issue, but it's still happening.

I'm like.. 3/4ths of the way through Farscape and it's got some standout episodes but it's also got a lot of boring eps as well. Pretty middling tbh and the execution varies greatly from episode to episode. If you're a Sci Fi fan then it's worth watching at least once just to see the way they handle some of the typical science fiction tv tropes.

Also, I tried my hardest to push through The 4400 after hearing it was underrated. Definitely not underrated. It's boring. Painfully so. Couldn't make it more than 5 episodes and I even tried having it on as a background watch while I'm doing other things.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I finally watched/finished Freaks and Geeks a couple of weeks ago. Obviously, I loved it; it's pretty much as good as everyone says. I decided to move right on to Undeclared, since I had heard similarly-good things, but ehh, I really did not like it at all. I stuck with it, though; 17 22-minute episodes didn't take long to get through.

Lloyd is such a shitbag character, and Charlie Hunnam just absolutely sucks. Somehow, I never knew who he was until seeing Pacific Rim. After that (which I liked, just couldn't stand him in particular) and Undeclared, I don't think I would ever be able to watch Sons of Anarchy.

Top Bottom