• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Watched Halo 4: Forward Onto Dawn. I'm a huge fan of the first three games. So decided to check it out with low expectations. The movie starts off slow. To the point where I was about to walk away from it. The movie follows the training of UNSC Marines. The characters are alright. Most are forgettable. I will say that the acting is well done however.

When the movie finally picks it, it is a great film. The scene where
the ODST troops drops in was awesome. And the stalking of the Elites were great too.
The action and special effects were superb. They did a fantastic job given their budget. The film nails the look and feel of the Halo universe. Even if I felt that
MC was a bit lackluster. Just his voice and the way he moved seem off.

If you are a fan of the games, I recommend it fully.

LogicStep

I watched Extract last night, it was great. I laughed pretty hard a couple of times. What got me really fucking good was when
Ben Affleck thought he heard that she's a tramp
, great acting. Watch it if you haven't yet.

JLG-

love the netflix roku3 profiles. wish the 2 would get updated already. very handy to have a kid specific profile.

just finished watching chuck. I'm always at a loss now with what to put on. I've recently rewatched LOST and Battlestar Galactica. Maybe I'll go Fringe. Haven't seen any of that show, but its undoubtedly up my alley. I hate the feeling after I finish a long series that I enjoyed, a bit of the doldrums. any suggestions like the shows above? I also need to catch the last season of Dexter when its posted in a couple weeks. I purposefully did not get showtime once the reviews rolled in.

Firefly, Burn Notice, Fringe, and Twin Peaks

DagsJT

I watched Extract last night, it was great. I laughed pretty hard a couple of times. What got me really fucking good was when
Ben Affleck thought he heard that she's a tramp
, great acting. Watch it if you haven't yet.

Gave it 3/5 stars. Decent enough and made me chuckle but not something I'd recommend particularly.

steveovig

I think this is the right place to put this. The wife and I have enjoyed watching Frasier on Netflix and we're up to like Season 8 but I just noticed today a note on the service that it's only available until January 1. Has anyone heard any news on them removing the show like they did a few months back?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think this is the right place to put this. The wife and I have enjoyed watching Frasier on Netflix and we're up to like Season 8 but I just noticed today a note on the service that it's only available until January 1. Has anyone heard any news on them removing the show like they did a few months back?

I'm assuming by notice you mean that under the "my list" there is a red January 1st? If that is the case, then it is coming down.

In Bruges -- gave this more than a 20 minute chance and it absolutely delivered. One can definitely tell the director hails from the stage, and this would be a hilariously violent play if they'd ever give it a chance. On screen, though, it achieves what few films have ever done for me -- made me genuinely laugh out loud in one moment and gasp in sadness the next. Please give this one a chance. I just loved it. 5/5

p.s. -- imagine early Tarantino or Four Rooms-style humor and banter without the pop references and mix in genuine humanity, all in an Irish accent. Perfect!

One of my favorites. Always puts a smile on my face.

Thank you guys for the recommendation. That was a great movie. Definitely agree with your laugh/cry line. It has just the right amount of humor (
I laughed so hard when he knocks out the Canadian guy and says that she has a bottle and proceeds to hit her as well)
and the comedic scenes work quite well. The cast was great, but I must say the chemistry between Colin and Brendan was top notch. I loved their scenes together. Which
made me sad when Brendan's character died. But it was a heart felt moment how he died.
The ending was perfect. Great movie all around. And I must say, Bruges is downright beautiful.

Definitely watch this movie.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It just now dawned on me that Louie isn't a comedy at all. It's a serial tragedy that features a standup comedian sometimes being funny.

(Just saw the Doug Stanhope guest ep. Jesus it's depressing. And yet I march on.)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bo Burnham: what. (Standup)
Cutie and the Boxer (Documentary, Biographical, Cultural)
Family Guy Season 11 (TV, Animated, Comedy)
Gator Boys Season 2 (TV, Reality)
Lost and Found in Armenia (Comedy)
Newlyweeds (Indie, Comedy)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Gamera vs. Barugon, The Atomic Brain, The Unearthly, Night of the Blood Beast, Warrior of the Lost World, Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies (TV, Comedy, SciFi)
Nightmare Next Door: Season 5 (TV, Documentary, Crime)
Of Two Minds (Documentary, Cultural)
Pound Puppies: Season 3 (TV, Kids)
Say Yes to the Dress: Season 8 (TV, Reality)
Step Dogs (Family, Adventure)
The Citizen (Indie, Drama)
The Incredible Hulk: Season 5 (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (TV, Drama, SciFi)
Top Gear Series 19 (TV, Reality)

Canada:

Barney: Songs from the Park (TV, Kids)
Bo Burnham: what. (Standup)
Children's Favorites: Christmas Treasure (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Dance Academy (TV, Drama, Teen)
Dirty Wars (Documentary, Political, Cultural)
Family Guy Season 11 (TV, Animated, Comedy)
HIT Favorites: Frosty Friends, Jolly Holiday (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Justice League Unlimited (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Maximum Conviction (Action, Thriller)
Of Two Minds (Documentary, Cultural)
Pocoyo Seasons 1-2 (TV, Kids)
Scooby-Doo!: Mystery Incorporated: Season 1 (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
The Gangster (Action, Crime, Foreign)
Thomas & Friends: Holiday Express, Merry Winter Wish (TV, Kids)
Unconditional (Drama, Faith)

Anustart

Seasons 1 and 2 are great; two of my favorite series seasons of late. I'm in the middle of three, it's pretty good but, the jury is still out on it.

I'm liking season 3 way more than seasons 1 and 2. Not that the first two were bad, but I just think that 3 is knocking it out of the park.

I'm liking season 3 way more than seasons 1 and 2. Not that the first two were bad, but I just think that 3 is knocking it out of the park.

I'm waiting until it finishes and I can re-watch it all at once before I comment on it (that's what I meant by jury is still out). That is a huge advantage for a series with me. Right now all that I can say is that, like the previous seasons, I really look forward to the show every week.

Been sticking with Doctor who, on season 2 and actually enjoying it. A lot of season 1s effects were cheesy, and the first doctor was kinda goofy. Although Season 1 picked up at the end and started grabbing my attention. I'm definitely enjoying the 2nd doctor better, he's a lot more serious and gives the show a less cheesy vibe for me.

Been sticking with Doctor who, on season 2 and actually enjoying it. A lot of season 1s effects were cheesy, and the first doctor was kinda goofy. Although Season 1 picked up at the end and started grabbing my attention. I'm definitely enjoying the 2nd doctor better, he's a lot more serious and gives the show a less cheesy vibe for me.

It only gets better from here (for the most part). That first season of New Who was a but iffy as the showrunner was finding his feet a bit.

jakncoke

Banned
The Story of Film: An Odyssey is pretty interesting but too bad the narrator didnt liven up the thing a bit. Im through episodes 6 of 15 so far

Cetra

Watched Dredd last night. Just an all around great action film. Highly recommended.

I loan that Bluray out all the time, when they enjoy it I let them keep it. And order another. Gotta get that sequel made. I'm doing my part.

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

YES NO"

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bratz Go To Paris (Family, Adventure)
Chocolate (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Food, Inc. (Documentary, Nature, Cultural)
George of the Jungle 2 (Family, Adventure)
Lala-Oopsies: A Sew Magical Tale (Family, Adventure)
More Than Honey (Documentary, Nature, Foreign)
Mumfie's White Christmas (TV, Kids)
Pingu: Super Pingu (TV, Kids)
Sunset Strip (Documentary, Cultural)
The Deflowering of Eva van End (Indie, Comedy, Foreign)
Winter Wonderland (This is like the Yule Log program that comes on CW.)

rossonero

Started watching The Good Wife on Canadian Netflix thanks to Hola Unblocker, but suddenly the Canadian VPN doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone know if the show is available in some other region?

+1 for Blackfish. Really good documentary that has turned me off from all zoos.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I finished season two of AHS. Top notch. The season wraps up very nicely. I loved S2 and thought it was better than S1 (not that S1 was bad by any means). The acting/characters were superb. Especially Jessica (Sister Jude). She was downright amazing. She is someone you grow to hate and then end up rooting for her. The story arcs in the season were great. All of which I thought had a satisfying end. Ok maybe not
the Monsignor's story. Seemed like they didn't have the time to finish his up and just decided suicide was quick and easy.
My only complaint is that it ended.

Well recommended, even if you weren't a fan of S1 or AHS in general.

IISANDERII

From_Prada_to_Nada_Poster.jpg

If anybody needs to find a chick flick to sit through, don't let the poster fool you and check this out. Actually, it's beyond tolerable and I found myself enjoying it and not just because the two sisters are really pretty. It's the director's first film so you know he's not phoning it in, it tries to avoid the conventions of these kinds of movies[which makes my skin crawl] even if it is a bit predicable.
Also, it's based off Sense & Sensibility and it's kind of fun trying to imagine what specific elements of the film are emulating the novel.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just finished Super 8 for the first time. Not what I expected -- I thought it took place in downtown New York and it was a found footage Godzilla thing), but it was still quite good. Reminded me very much of those Spielbergy things from the 80s ... ET, Flight of the Navigator, stuff like that. I will say the first half and second half felt like they were written by two different people. Preteens should love this.

Top Bottom