• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Welcome to the fold! haha. Definitely give them all a watch. US Netflix only has it through S6 while Canadian Netflix has the first half of S7. Not sure about other regions. S7 just ended this year and there was a 50th Anniversary Special as well as a Christmas Special. Once you've seen all that, you should join the Who-GAF threads where there's a mixture of complaints, praises and discussion of all things timey-wimey!
Definitely! I've been seeing the who-Gaf threads but to afraid to jump in right now (don't want any spoilers). Want to at least finish s6 before. See you soon hopefully !

Definitely! I've been seeing the who-Gaf threads but to afraid to jump in right now. Want to at least finish s6 before. See you soon hopefully !

Definitely don't jump in now as there's spoilers everywhere to a lot of really intriguing stuff ahead (and behind I suppose) in your viewing. They're great threads though for learning all kinds of interesting things about the Doctor as there's fans of Classic Who, Audiobook-Who (which cover stories that have never been on screen), and of course, New Who. It can be daunting but I've just accepted that I'll never have the time and money to experience all of it and just live vicariously through those that have and do watch/listen to the other stuff.

Definitely don't jump in now as there's spoilers everywhere to a lot of really intriguing stuff ahead (and behind I suppose) in your viewing. They're great threads though for learning all kinds of interesting things about the Doctor as there's fans of Classic Who, Audiobook-Who (which cover stories that have never been on screen), and of course, New Who. It can be daunting but I've just accepted that I'll never have the time and money to experience all of it and just live vicariously through those that have and do watch/listen to the other stuff.
I look forward to it :D
Edit: also saw the price tag on the anniversary blu ray set -_-

I look forward to it :D
Edit: also saw the price tag on the anniversary blu ray set -_-

If you have BBC America you can watch it when they air it again, which they probably will when S8 is about to air. They just aired all of S7, and the 50th special leading up to the Christmas special that just aired. They'll probably do that again leading up to S8.

Edit: Actually just checked and they're airing it on New Years Eve. They're airing the Christmas special as well, so if you do have BBC America and a DVR, you could just record it to watch when you finish S7.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Yeah guys, don't get me wrong, Zack and Miri was charming. I just wish I knew it was Kevin Smith before I fired it up. Would've set expectations accordingly. I love Seth Rogen.

I'm going to jump into Breaking Bad and Doctor Who until GoT starts back up. Still backlogging some Louie, which has settled in bigtime in season 2. Finding that "things that make you very uncomfortable to watch" and "things that make you very depressed" middle ground. (being held up by muggers in front of your daughters, being nearly assaulted by a pack of high school jocks in front of your date, your mom losing her shit and crying her face off in public, etc).

Yeah guys, don't get me wrong, Zack and Miri was charming. I just wish I knew it was Kevin Smith before I fired it up. Would've set expectations accordingly. I love Seth Rogen.

I'm going to jump into Breaking Bad and Doctor Who until GoT starts back up. Still backlogging some Louie, which has settled in bigtime in season 2. Finding that "things that make you very uncomfortable to watch" and "things that make you very depressed" middle ground. (being held up by muggers in front of your daughters, being nearly assaulted by a pack of high school jocks in front of your date, your mom losing her shit and crying her face off in public, etc).

Enjoy Doctor Who. Just understand that it is extremely silly and campy at times, but that is part of its charm.

I need to watch that show. My buddy looked at me like I was a freak when I told him I never watched the show before.

DO IT! It is so awesome. Only six episodes, but each one is 90 minutes each. Basically six movies.

And once you do watch it, imagine having to wait two years between each series.

okay so I just watched The Core and it was legitimately awesome. The concept is just so dumb, there's no way you can convince me this wasnt supposed to be comedy. the Coliseum in Rome getting blown up by fucking lightning? hahahaha. The giant penis shaped ship. The contrast of Aaron Eckhart chewing up the scenary and Hilary Swank being completely emotionless made for a lot of great moments. The dialog is just fantastic. "Would you take my clothes off please?". "Its whales! Its whales!"

Its a properly done spoof of Emmerichs shitty disaster movies. "So bad its good" doesn't do this movie justice

okay so I just watched The Core and it was legitimately awesome. The concept is just so dumb, there's no way you can convince me this wasnt supposed to be comedy. the Coliseum in Rome getting blown up by fucking lightning? hahahaha. The giant penis shaped ship. The contrast of Aaron Eckhart chewing up the scenary and Hilary Swank being completely emotionless made for a lot of great moments. The dialog is just fantastic. "Would you take my clothes off please?". "Its whales! Its whales!"

Its a properly done spoof of Emmerichs shitty disaster movies. "So bad its good" doesn't do this movie justice

Yeah, The Core is fucking great. It's the Torque of sci-fi movies.

bud

is there any reason why they don't allow you to browse the entire catalogue? i realise there's a link in the op that does the same thing, but i'm just curious why it isn't 'official'.

RBH

900x900px-LL-04e6fe32_Screenshot_2013-12-25-13-25-51.png

900x900px-LL-26871fdd_Screenshot_2013-12-25-13-24-53.png

900x900px-LL-31deb399_Screenshot_2013-12-25-13-24-35.png

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1507570/news-flash-you-can-set-netflix-subtitle-appearance

Someone pointed out to me in another forum that there is a per-profile "Subtitle appearance" setting in your Netflix Account Settings. I can't believe that I never noticed this before; I'd like to think that it hasn't been there for long. It has settings for font, text color, text outline color, text size, text background color, text window color and effect (raised, drop shadow, etc). It works for the new Netflix player on TiVos (Roamio and Premiere), PS3, Xbox 360 and Roku 3, but not the older Netflix player on other Rokus (whose subtitle rendition is unaffected by the new Roku global captions settings as well). For kicks, I just changed mine to red cursive text with a black outline, transparent background, no window and raised effect and it worked (utterly unreadable in titles with captions in all caps biggrin.gif). You do have to stop and restart your Netflix player if you set it while it's running. It's a setting that really ought to be available in the player but at least it's there.

Enjoy!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
LIST APPLIES TO NETFLIX USA STREAMING MARKET:

----------TV SHOWS--------------
EXPIRING JANUARY 1, 2014
Mr Bean
The Kids In The Hall

-----------MOVIES-----------------
EXPIRING DECEMBER 29, 2013

Transformers Dark Of The Moon

EXPIRING JANUARY 4, 2014

Alice In Wonderland (1951 Disney)
Immortals

EXPIRING JANUARY 1, 2014

Being John Malkovich
Born On the Fourth Of July
Braveheart
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Do The Right Thing
Capote
Jarhead
As Good As It Gets
I'm Gonna Get You Sucka
Foxy Brown
Gallipoli
Flashdance
50 First Dates
The Bad News Bears
The Secret Of Nimh
Roman Holiday
Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back
Requiem For A Dream
Platoon
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
October Sky
Mystery Men
Titanic
Ronin
Romeo And Juliet (1968)
Top Gun
Street Fighter
Serpico
Scary Movie
True Grit (1969)
War And Peace
War Games
We Were Soldiers
The Odd Couple (1968)
The Mask Of Zorro
The Great Train Robbery
The Faculty
Species

Full list at source

The "fillers" are the monster of the week episodes! you can't skip them! (just skip First Person Shooter from season 7)

The "fillers" are the best ones in X-Files. There are some great mythology ones, but the monster of the week episodes are the ones that are the most fondly remembered, and with good reason.

Man I hate that monster of the week shit. I probably watched less than 10 episodes of the last three seasons of TNG. So boring. Give me the meat and potatoes any day

The Haunting in Connecticut 2 was ok.
It actually has a pretty decent twist
but like most of these types of movies was just a bit too heavy handed. It's based on a "true" story of a haunted property in Georgia but the details in the "real" story are pretty different from the story in the movie. On the plus side, the acting is actually quite good. Stars Abigail Spencer (Suits) and Katee Sackoff (BSG remake, Longmire).

Also.. there's apparently a show on Netflix that features, no joke, nothing but a fire and holiday music. lol

WoodWERD

Off topic, but is there a setting to disable auto playing the next episode in a series? It's a great hook but the thumbnail images they use when the next episode is about to play can be spoilerific.

RBH

According to The NPD Group, a global information company, big box-office titles, new releases, and franchise movie are the most streamed movie content on subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) services such as Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. Based on information from NPD’s “SVOD Report,” from January through October 2013, the three movies streamed most from SVOD services were the following:

“The Hunger Games” (movie franchise)
“The Avengers” (movie franchise)
“The Lorax” (recent SVOD release)

“It’s not surprising that big box office hits do well with the SVOD audience,” said Russ Crupnick, senior vice president of industry analysis for The NPD Group. “With ‘The Hunger Games,’ ‘The Avengers’ and other franchise titles, there’s the added sweetener of introducing new audiences to the franchises and improving box office receipts.”

From January through October 2013, the top three ranked TV series were all series that were still running on cable or network TV:

“Breaking Bad” (AMC series concluded 2013)
“How I Met Your Mother” (current series on CBS)
“The Walking Dead” (current series on AMC)

Original Programming Also Popular on SVOD

When NPD reviewed TV program streaming volumes, the share of total TV streams demonstrated the popularity of shows produced solely for SVOD, like “Arrested Development,” “House of Cards,” and “Hemlock Grove.” Over the six weeks following the release of season-four of “Arrested Development” on Netflix, for example, 11 percent of Netflix subscribers per week streamed at least one episode, which translates into more than three million viewers. Other original series also fared well after their initial SVOD releases -- with 5 percent streaming “House of Cards,” and 4 percent streaming “Hemlock Grove.”

“SVOD has been shaking up the home video market, since it was introduced in 2007,” Crupnick said. “Today, one out of four U.S. consumers who acquired a movie or TV show through subscription, rental or purchase in the first-half of this year did so using SVOD.”
https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/...t-subscription-video-on-demand-svod-rankings/

I'm watching season 1 of Venture Bros and enjoying it so far. Do we have any indication as to whether of not Venture Bros and other Cartoon Network/Adult Swim shows will have new seasons added?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay (Documentary, Biographical)
Drew: The Man Behind the Poster (Documentary, Biographical)
Greenwich Village: Music That Defined a Generation (Documentary, Music, Cultural)
Maron (TV, Comedy, Standup)
The Guilt Trip (Comedy)
You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet (Drama, Foreign)

UK:

Movie 43 (Comedy)
One Day on Earth (Documentary, Cultural)
Tangled (Family, Adventure, Animated)

Mexico:

Abduction (Action)
Pan's Labyrinth (Drama, Fantasy)
The Notebook (Drama, Romantic)

Netherlands:

Stranger than Fiction (Comedy)

Top Bottom