• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Anyone been put on the new tiers that Netflix is testing? $6.99 for one simultaneous stream, $9.99 for three.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is Jacob's Ladder any good? I hate horror but like supernatural/suspense.

RBH

Screen_Shot_2013-12-30_at_3.52.10_PM.png

Netflix has begun offering some new customers a $6.99-per-month streaming plan, which is $1 cheaper than its regular $7.99 fee. But there are two significant drawbacks that come with the new option. First, the $6.99 plan only supports standard definition, meaning you won't be able to watch a single movie or TV show in HD. Second, customers who choose the new plan can only stream content on one device at a time. (Netflix's regular plan allows two concurrent streams, with an $11.99 "family plan" supporting up to four simultaneous streams.)

According to Adweek, a Netflix representative told one customer that the company plans to test the cheaper, basic plan among new users before making it available on a wider basis. We've been able to confirm the offer firsthand — it appears after you've signed up for a month of free streaming. We've reached out to Netflix for additional comment.

Update: In a statement to The Verge, Netflix has confirmed that the single-stream $6.99 offer is only visible to a small subset of users. "Not everyone will see this and we may never offer it generally," said a company spokesperson. "Whether we offer any of these tiers generally will depend on the results of the tests. We always look to offer services that make our members happier as measured by how much they use Netflix." Netflix says a $9.99-per-month price point that allows streaming on three devices simultaneously is also in testing with some users.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/30/5257922/netflix-offers-cheaper-6-99-plan-to-new-customers

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is Jacob's Ladder any good? I hate horror but like supernatural/suspense.

It is one of those love it or hate it films. It is a unique, but rather disturbing film. And the ending is usually hated. As it can feel rushed. I would recommend you give it a watch.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I managed to finish The Long Goodbye just in time. I was actually able to keep watching it past midnight (their time). Guess that answers my question from a while back about what happens when something you are watching expires.
One of my favorite noir films and completely nails the Marlowe character from the books. Sad to see it go, hopefully they renew it down the line.

Wag

Probably has one of the most inappropriate soundtracks I have seen in a movie. I love Tangerine Dream, but some of the music felt so out of place.
Like during that rape scene
I should watch the movie again though and am glad they added it.

Problem with The Keep on netflix is it's 4:3, when it's proper AR should be 2.35. I've yet to find a source with it's proper AR.

Just marathon-ed Arrow. Hooked. Apparently Season 2 (according to people in the OT) is even better.
Take the last few episodes of season 1 (The Undertaking, etc.), then make that half a season. Then have it slowly build up in awesome from there.

That is season 2 of Arrow so far.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Take the last few episodes of season 1 (The Undertaking, etc.), then make that half a season. Then have it slowly build up in awesome from there.

That is season 2 of Arrow so far.

awesome gotta catch up before new episodes air. thought i could do this with a hulu sub...but apparently you still only get the 5 latest episodes...wtf is the point in subscribing when there are still ads? these same eps are free with the CW app -_-

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Canada:

2 Fast 2 Furious (Action)
A New Leaf (Comedy)
Aeon Flux (Action, SciFi)
Alfie (Romantic, Comedy)
American Experience: Death and the Civil War (TV, Documentary)
America's Funniest Home Videos: Best in Boneheads (TV, Reality)
American Masters: Johnny Carson: King of Late Night (Documentary, Biographical)
Bebe's Kids (Comedy)
Call the Midwife (TV, Drama)
Carrie ('71, Horror, Supernatural)
Coneheads (Comedy)
Covert Affairs (TV, Action, Drama)
Curious George: Season 4-7 (TV, Kids)
Despicable Me (Family, Adventure, Animated)

Dexter: Season 7 (TV, Crime, Drama)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Comedy)
Don't Look Now (Thriller)
Elizabeth I: The Virgin Queen (TV, Drama)
Fast & Furious (Action)
FETCH! with Ruff Ruffman (TV, Kids)
Friday Night Lights (TV, Drama)
Fringe: Season 5 (TV, Drama, SciFi)

Get Shorty (Comedy)
Horrible Histories (TV, Kids)
I'm Carolyn Parker: The Good, the Mad, and the Beautiful (Documentary, Biographical)
Inspector Lewis (TV, Crime, Drama)
Ken Burns: Prohibition, Prohibition, The West, The War, The Civil War, National Parks, Baseball (TV, Documentary, Cultural)
Koala Kid (Family, Adventure, Animated)
Mad Dogs (TV, Drama)
Masterpiece Classic: Great Expectations, The Mystery of Edwin Drood (TV, Miniseries, Drama)
Masterpiece Mystery!: Endeavour (TV, Drama)
Misfits: Season 4 (TV, Drama)
Moving Art: Forests, Oceans, Flowers, Deserts (Documentary, Nature)
Pink Ribbons, Inc. (Documentary, Cultural)
Pound Puppies: Season 3 (TV, Kids)
Psych (TV, Comedy, Drama)
Ripper Street (TV, Crime, Drama)
Rocky I-V (Drama, Sports)
Rocky Balboa (Drama, Sports)

Shakespeare Uncovered (TV, Documentary)
Space Dive (Documentary, Science)
Spies of Warsaw (TV, Miniseries, Drama)
Steve Jobs: One Last Thing (TV, Documentary, Biographical)
Testament (Drama, SciFi)
The Bomb Hunters (TV, Documentary)
The Boxing Girls of Kabul (Documentary, Social, Sports)
The Central Park Five (Documentary, Social)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (Action)

The First World War From Above (TV, Documentary)
The Food Guide to Love (Romantic, Comedy)
The Interrupters (Documentary, Crime, Cultural)
The Parallax View (Thriller)
The People of the Kattawapiskak River (Documentary, Cultural)
The Thing ('11, Horror, SciFi)
Top Gear: Series 19 (TV, Reality)
Twenty Twelve (TV, Comedy)
Waiting to Exhale (Drama, Romantic)
Wallander: Series 3 (TV, Crime, Drama)

Kaladin

Started watching the classic Doctor Who stuff on Netflix. Is this all that is out there or is it just Netflix's selection that is limited? I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Some things hold up surprisingly well, and others look really cheap.

Started watching the classic Doctor Who stuff on Netflix. Is this all that is out there or is it just Netflix's selection that is limited? I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Some things hold up surprisingly well, and others look really cheap.

Netflix selection is a bit limited.

Happy New Years, guys. Watched Room 237 last night (the doc about hidden meanings in The Shining). It's entertaining enough the full way through, but wow, some of those people are just absolutely nuts.
Especially the guy who links the film to Kubrick's way of telling the public that he was involved in the faking of the moon landing footage. What a kook.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (Horror, Slasher)
Drinking Buddies (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
Good Ol' Freda (Documentary, Biographical, Music/The Beatles)

Canada:

Good Burger (Family, Comedy)
Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (Horror, Slasher)
Planet of the Apes ('68, Adventure, Fantasy)
The Warriors (Action)
Without a Paddle (Comedy)

UK:

A Haunted House (Comedy, Spoof)
Coming to America (Comedy)
Dead Silence (Horror)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (Action)
Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter (Horror, Slasher)
Hot Rod (Comedy)
Olympus Has Fallen (Action, Thriller)
Red Dawn ('12, Action)
The Adams Family (Family, Comedy)
The Ice Man (Crime, Thriller)
Wayne's World (Comedy)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Comedy)

Oh cool. I kind of wanted to see Drinking Buddies a few months ago when it was released but held off because it cost something ridiculous like $10 to rent from iTunes.

Yeah, I've since noticed there is a ton more on Hulu.

Yea I seriously noticed this the other night too.

Same goes for movies too, lots of classics, and the fucking Criterion collection never disappoints. But maybe it's just cause I keep seeing the same stuff on Netflix anymore.

Don't change your pricing model, Netflix. NO no no no no no no.

The subscription video-streaming site Netflix is testing a new pricing model based on the number of people who can operate an account.

It means selected customers pay more if increased number of people log in to the account at the same time.

Users would pay $6.99 (£4.26) a month to use one screen to watch a TV show or film. This would rise to $9.99 if three screens were being used simultaneously.

The company said it is was only testing these options for some new users.

Currently subscribers pay a monthly fee of $7.99 for a standard service that allows them to watch different shows or movies on two screens at once.

There is also an upgraded-account version available for $11.99 where customers can watch across four screens, but has a restricted selection of films. When Netflix's chief executive Reed Hastings announced this option in April he said he expected fewer than one per cent of customers to sign up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25579246

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"The company said it is was only testing these options for some new users."

As long as they let current customers stay on the same plan, no fucks given here.

jakncoke

Banned
I thought netflix only keeps information for 1 year. I was going to rewatch Reindeer Games because I havent seen it since the last time it came, apparently i seen it 11/18/12 :p. They didnt do this for Trailer Park Boys bastards

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I haven't been getting HD for the past couple months, and I didn't even realize it for a while (I only have a 32" 720p TV). I guess it's an issue for a bunch of us using older Roku models. At this point I'd probably downgrade to save a buck if I could. I'm a cheapskate.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
8 dollar for Super HD is what I want. Don't need two devices, but I can't deal with SD.
Thing is that doesn't guarantee you'll always get Super HD. I have a sneaky suspicion it will just "unlock the capability for Super HD" but Netflix will still reserve the tendency to route you with SD if your connection falters at any point.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Next month:

Airplane 1/2
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Naked Gun
City of Men
The Usual Suspects

Didn't take long for those to come back.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've been swimming in raw sewage.
I LOVE IT.
That's Naked Gun 2 1/2. :)

Naked Gun went away for like a month, and is now back, but the sequels are gone as of yesterday. Netflix gon' Netflix.

Definitely going to watch Spaceballs, The Day The Earth Stood Still, and Good Burger again. Looking forward to seeing Thelma and Louise, mostly because of the big homage on The Simpsons. Also added Jacob's Ladder and Apocalypse Now to my queue. I also notice that Santa Claus Conquers The Martians is up. It'll be weird to watch it without the MST3K riffing on it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I thought Amelie was added to the US Netflix? I can't locate it for instant streaming.

Ohh man, I checked for it to when I put up the list. I guess I was in Netflix Canada site at the time. This is the second time that has happened where a site says it is up, and it is a no show.

Just sounds like tiers, tiers everywhere. Fine by me as long as they don't fuck with the core/basic model of $8 for SD/HD and 2 screens.

I will be the first brave soul to watch it.

Felt bad for the aspergers kid. Some of those people were pretty delusional though

JavyOO7

I saw Romantic Antonymous recently. Really cute movie. I watched that and then the Expendables 2 right after to start off the year right. =p

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Really enjoyed 666 Park Avenue. Good to see John Locke on TV again! Interesting story as well.

Top Bottom