• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm on Season 7 and I still wish it had finished Season 4/5.

When Dexter recently returned they only had seasons 1-4 for awhile (US). I wonder if that was intentional haha.
Rita getting murdered
while he was chasing Trinity would have been a crazy way to end the show.

I've started Season 8 but I've heard the ending is really really bad...

When Dexter recently returned they only had seasons 1-4 for awhile (US). I wonder if that was intentional haha.
Rita getting murdered
while he was chasing Trinity would have been a crazy way to end the show.

I've started Season 8 but I've heard the ending is really really bad...

This is the sad state of US TV - shows become popular and outstay their welcome.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good drama/action/thriller TV show? Based on some of the talk of Dexter I watched the first episode of that, but I think that show was a little too much for me.

Is Chuck any good? Once Upon a Time?

tj hazuki

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good drama/action/thriller TV show? Based on some of the talk of Dexter I watched the first episode of that, but I think that show was a little too much for me.

Try Arrow

Chuck's pretty great.. An acquired taste though. I really like Continuum as well.

RedAssedApe

Banned

What turned you off on Dexter? First season is really good. Was it the blood and gore?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Burn notice.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Big Words (Indie, Drama)
Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Season 2 (TV, Kids)
The Last Stand (Action)

Canada:

Cocaine Cowboys (Documentary, Cultural)
Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (Documentary, Biographical)
Longmire: Season 2 (TV, Crime, Drama)
Shrooms (Horror, Slasher)

Mexico:

Party of Five Seasons 1-3 (TV, Drama)

The Last Stand, wow Netflix is on a roll lately.

Just watched Jack Reacher, it's a good Tom Cruise action flick.
It's got franchise potential.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Man, Drinking Buddies was just... I don't even know. It was well acted but none of the main characters are likable at all.

I thought Jake Johnson's character was as likeable as a character can be in a film about realistically flawed people.

I have to agree with Jest, Jake's character was my favorite and the most likeable out of the bunch.

I'm torn on the movie, stuck in the middle. For one thing., nothing really happens. There are certain build ups or things you expect to happen and nothing comes of it. Its all very anti-climatic. Which I guess goes with the theme of the movie.

Like Backflip said, the movie is well acted. I thought everyone was great and reading that the majority of lines were improv'd makes it better. They all did a good job portraying flawed individuals. And that is one of the things I liked about the movie. For me, the best scenes and most enjoyable parts was watching Jake and Olivia interact. They had great chemistry together.

Just watched the first two episodes of Battlestar Galactica.
I can't believe Boomer is a Cylon!! :O

Lol yeah, that came out of nowhere.

Jack Reacher wasn't great but it was kinda fun watching him just beat up dudes. Cruise was really the only standout person in it for me. Werner Herzog was great, but he should've been in it way more

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Jack Reacher wasn't great but it was kinda fun watching him just beat up dudes. Cruise was really the only standout person in it for me. Werner Herzog was great, but he should've been in it way more

I did not know that was Werner Herzog.

Kaladin

So I finished Chuck Season 2. While I enjoy the series, I haven't been this frustrated with a series regarding character progression since Smallville. Especially going from Season 2 to Season 3. You think things have changed? Things haven't! Still the same old characters, in the same situations. Oh sure, the story moved on to the next chapter, but do the characters get to go anywhere? Nope. At least Smallville had graduation that forced something to happen.

Also, Sarah is really starting to piss me off at this point.

Nyx

Watched a lot of Netflix in the past 2 weeks.

Had an 80's revival night with my GF, watched some old favs like Child's Play 1 and 2, Big Trouble in Little China and Spaceballs.

Also almost done with Louie, what a brilliant guy that Louis CK!
If he ever does a show in The Netherlands I'm definitely there.

Just watched the first two episodes of Battlestar Galactica.
I can't believe Boomer is a Cylon!! :O

I envy you. I wish I could go back to not knowing what happens and enjoy it all again for the first time. I loved powering through that series on Netflix.

So I finished Chuck Season 2. While I enjoy the series, I haven't been this frustrated with a series regarding character progression since Smallville. Especially going from Season 2 to Season 3. You think things have changed? Things haven't! Still the same old characters, in the same situations. Oh sure, the story moved on to the next chapter, but do the characters get to go anywhere? Nope. At least Smallville had graduation that forced something to happen.

Also, Sarah is really starting to piss me off at this point.

That's pretty much what Chuck is though. A geek with a hot girl being the super bad ass that all geeks want to be. I don't think it's meant to be much more than that. FWIW, the characters progress more in the later seasons but, it's not very good progression.

I was pleasantly surprised by Jack Reacher. Now I'm a big fan of the books, been reading them for years, and while Cruise was probably the worst casting ever in terms of physical similarity, I thought he did an excellent job in capturing Reacher's personality and character,

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I was pleasantly surprised by Jack Reacher. Now I'm a big fan of the books, been reading them for years, and while Cruise was probably the worst casting ever in terms of physical similarity, I thought he did an excellent job in capturing Reacher's personality and character,
I was pleasantly surprised also, although I don't even know books existed. I was expecting a generic action flick, and got a fairly dark action thriller instead. The final battle was a little lame, and Robert Duvall's character just didn't work for me. As someone else mentioned the parts where all the ladies were swooning at reachers feet were pretty bad, cruise should really let it go he isn't a heart throb anymore. And seriously put your shirt back on, your body is kinda odd looking.

I was pleasantly surprised also, although I don't even know books existed. I was expecting a generic action flick, and got a fairly dark action thriller instead. The final battle was a little lame, and Robert Duvall's character just didn't work for me. As someone else mentioned the parts where all the ladies were swooning at reachers feet were pretty bad, cruise should really let it go he isn't a heart throb anymore. And seriously put your shirt back on, your body is kinda odd looking.
Yeah in the books, Reacher is like 6'5" and is just massive. Can snap a guy's neck with one hand. His physicality is a pretty big part of his character and the plots, since he is so intimidating (but also quite smart).

So when Cruise of all possible actors was cast, I was kind of pissed. Finally seeing Reacher on the big screen and he's played by Tom Cruise? But yeah, was impressed by how well he portrayed Reacher despite not having the physical size of the book version

IISANDERII

If anybody's in the mood for a little indie drama, check out Meet the Rileys. James Gandolfini, Melissa Leo and Kristen Stewart. Stewart's not bad, the whole time I'm bracing myself to cringe but she's actually decent. Her and Leo have very good chemistry but I think that's more Leo, she is really good.

Valhalla Rising started great but man it craawwwls in the second half - made Terence Malik look like a speeding bullet. Some beautiful cinematography though.

If anybody's in the mood for a little indie drama, check out Meet the Rileys. James Gandolfini, Melissa Leo and Kristen Stewart. Stewart's not bad, the whole time I'm bracing myself to cringe but she's actually decent. Her and Leo have very good chemistry but I think that's more Leo, she is really good.

Ah thanks. Did not see Welcome to the Rileys on my lists. Will add.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anyone else having sound delay on Arrow? Watching season 1 and keep experiencing sound delay

Report the problem.

I have been having trouble with subtitles lately (not on arrow, other movies). Usually the subtitles being too fast.

Netflix is basically the only TV I watch now. Netflix or BBC iPlayer. Stream TV content isn't so much the future, but the present as far as I'm concerned.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else having sound delay on Arrow? Watching season 1 and keep experiencing sound delay

I've been watching the show over the past few days and have experienced no delays.

Speaking of Arrow, I initially watched the first episode and thought the show was pretty bad. I gave it a few more episodes though and it's growing on me. I'm on episode 7 or 8 now and I will probably watch it through to the end. It's not the greatest show ever, and the way they handle some of the DC characters is pretty cringeworthy (that
Deadshot
episode...just, come on), but the show is entertaining as a whole.

Kinda wish it had higher production values for the fights, since they can look pretty goofy sometimes.

All content, one provider is the future.

Yeah good luck with that. Content producers will never let one provider monopolize the industry. That would squeeze the money they can get for their programming.

tj hazuki

I've been watching the show over the past few days and have experienced no delays.

Speaking of Arrow, I initially watched the first episode and thought the show was pretty bad. I gave it a few more episodes though and it's growing on me. I'm on episode 7 or 8 now and I will probably watch it through to the end. It's not the greatest show ever, and the way they handle some of the DC characters is pretty cringeworthy (that
Deadshot
episode...just, come on), but the show is entertaining as a whole.

Kinda wish it had higher production values for the fights, since they can look pretty goofy sometimes.

Yeah good luck with that. Content producers will never let one provider monopolize the industry. That would squeeze the money they can get for their programming.

I'm annoyed with the Laurel/Olivier/Tommy triangle in this show. At one point she didn'tlike Tommy now she does but It seems like shes falling for the Green Arrow. Who is Oliver

Report the problem.

I have been having trouble with subtitles lately (not on arrow, other movies). Usually the subtitles being too fast.

I've been seeing the same. I've been finishing up Dexter season 8 and the subtitles are showing up too fast, which sucks because I have to have them on (house full of people).

jvm

Gamasutra.
Watched "Jacob's Ladder" again for the first time since I watched it on VHS over a decade ago. Great movie, and would recommend it if you understand that it's not a thriller with a dramatic, terrifying ending. Far from it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I've been seeing the same. I've been finishing up Dexter season 8 and the subtitles are showing up too fast, which sucks because I have to have them on (house full of people).

I have the same issue whether its the background noise or I watch late at night and dont want to disturb anyone.

Watched "Jacob's Ladder" again for the first time since I watched it on VHS over a decade ago. Great movie, and would recommend it if you understand that it's not a thriller with a dramatic, terrifying ending. Far from it.

I'm eager to watch it again. I will probably give it a watch later this week. I didnt like the ending though from what I remember.

This so fucking much. I expected Arrow to suck, but, it delivered. It's like Batman only good. This is what Agents of Shield should have fucking been.

I was told Smallville, Buffy, Paranormal, etc. was good, and I believed them every time, and tried to watch those shows.

So this time, this is the CW show that is watchable for someone over the age of 18? I'm not falling for it again.

I was told Smallville, Buffy, Paranormal, etc. was good, and I believed them every time, and tried to watch those shows.

So this time, this is the CW show that is watchable for someone over the age of 18? I'm not falling for it again.
Trust us it's good. I couldn't stand Smallville. But Arrow has really impressed. It had an iffy start, but really improved throughout the first season and season two has been kicking all kinds of ass. It's almost the Batman show we always wanted. The fight choreography is fantastic, the show is grounded, and the plots move at a break-neck pace. Give it a chance, at least get through the first few mediocre shows.I had given up on most CW shows, but Arrow is a great show. Granted, there is a slight soapy CW element with some characters, but for the most part, it's one of, if not the best live action comic book shows I've seen

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
While I think Arrow has CW stamp on it, it is one of their best shows. Everwood still being the best (dont care what anyone says on that one lol).

Top Bottom