• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I really fucking LOVE Dr Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog, I keep watching it now and then, if you haven't seen it, it's 42mins and is one of the most refreshing, entertaining and well made things I've seen, watch it!

Can anyone recommend things like it? On netflix or otherwise.

I desperately need more of this stuff in my life.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finished up Top of the Lake last night. Excellent BBC series, and only seven episodes; highly recommended. The first episode was a bit slow, I thought, but it develops quickly.
There are also numerous Elizabeth Moss nude scenes, which doesn't hurt.

On the opposite side of the spectrum...

The Immortals
Conan the Barbarian (2011 re-make)

Anyone have an opinion on which of these makes for a better watch? They both looked pretty terrible, but they expire this weekend so I might try and give one of them a whirl since I'm snowbound with nothing to do.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I didn't like The Immortals. I had to sit down three different times to try and finish it. I found it to be boring. Really the thing that kept me going was the visual style. Might be worth the watch for it, but go with Conan the Barbarian. I haven't watched it, but it looks better than Immortals.

I didn't like The Immortals. I had to sit down three different times to try and finish it. I found it to be boring. Really the thing that kept me going was the visual style. Might be worth the worth for it, but go with Conan the Barbarian. I haven't watched it, but it looks better than Immortals.

I hope you are meaning you have not seen the new Conan movie, and are not referring to the 80s Arnold classic?

EDIT: Duh. if I read the post above yours I would see it is the remake. Whoops.

Man, Drinking Buddies was just... I don't even know. It was well acted but none of the main characters are likable at all.

Thought it was OK. I'll watch anything with Olivia Wild tho.

I didn't like The Immortals. I had to sit down three different times to try and finish it. I found it to be boring. Really the thing that kept me going was the visual style. Might be worth the worth for it, but go with Conan the Barbarian. I haven't watched it, but it looks better than Immortals.

Agreed. Bored my ass off. Conan was pretty fun.

Finished up Top of the Lake last night. Excellent BBC series, and only seven episodes; highly recommended. The first episode was a bit slow, I thought, but it develops quickly.

The Immortals

Anyone have an opinion on which of these makes for a better watch? They both looked pretty terrible, but they expire this weekend so I might try and give one of them a whirl since I'm snowbound with nothing to do.

Straight up brainless action = Conan

Unique action = The Immortals .. the visual style was done by the same crew that did The Fall and The Cell.

NOTE: I'm not saying unique is better than brainless necessarily. They were both "ok". I think I'd prob give the slight edge to The Immortals though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I hope you are meaning you have not seen the new Conan movie, and are not referring to the 80s Arnold classic?

EDIT: Duh. if I read the post above yours I would see it is the remake. Whoops.

Although, I haven't watched the 80's one in awhile. I should watch it again.

The Immortals has better fight scenes and has more impressive visual style. Conan is solid action movie material though.

I liked the fight scenes. Its just the time in between them is a mess.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

The Immortals

Both of those movies are quite shitty. They're kinda watchable, but I wouldn't recommend either. Immortals has some interesting visuals if you're into that sort of thing... its only saving grace imo beyond the few short moments of good fight choreography .

Conan is halfway decent for half of the movie. Then it gets super dumb and the ending is Hollywood cliche over-the-top "climactic action" bullshit that will make you groan and want the last two hours of your life back.

I mean, iirc.

Conan has the hotter women though.

The Immortals

I'd watch them both but, I'm a sucker for those kind of action movies. Of those two I liked Conan better. Neither is stellar though. Go in with low expectations.

Movies added

•American Psycho (2000)

•Raging Bull (1980)

•Thelma And Louise (1991)

•West Side Story (1961)

•What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)

•Big Trouble In Little China (1986)

•Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

•Bull Durham (1988)

•Red Dawn (1984)

•Mousehunt (1997)

•Spaceballs (1987)

•Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

•The Chinese Connection (1972)

•Amelie (2001)

•Grapes of Wrath (1940)

•Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987)

•Children of a Lesser God (1986)

•Scrooged (1988)

•Days of Thunder (1990)

•The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

•The Talented Mr Ripley (1999)

•Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)

•Death Race 2000 (1975)

•Ghost (1990)

•Good Burger (1997)

•Play It Again, Sam (1972)

Edwardo

The Immortals

I keep meaning to watch The Immortals, but I never get around to it. Conan the Barbarian was a good action movie. I enjoyed it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I did, it kind of made me feel uneasy, but then again i expected that (not being a bronie myself), i did see a pony with the NeoGaf colors and logo...

I thought it was ok. It was interesting trying to see into this culture I don't really know anything about. The doc itself isn't all that good however. It doesn't do a particularly good job presenting the info.

C4Lukins

I watched the Talented Mr. Ripley again for the first time in several years. I really like that movie. Great performances all around.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bratz: Babyz Save Christmas (Family, Adventure)
House of Cards: Season 1 with Bonus Commentary (TV, Drama)
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (Action, Fantasy)

Canada:

House of Cards: Season 1 with Bonus Commentary (TV, Drama)
Immortals (Action, Fantasy)
Longmire (TV, Drama, Crime)

Mexico:

Behind Enemy Lines (Action, Thriller)
Dr. Dolittle (Family, Comedy)
Edward Scissorhands (Drama, Fantasy)
Europa Report (SciFi, Thriller)
Ip Man (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Rocky Balboa (Drama, Sports)
The Sex and the City Movie (Drama, Comedy)

Netherlands:

American Pie (Comedy)
Pumping Iron (Documentary)
Saving Private Ryan (Action, Drama, War)
The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (Family, Adventure)
The NeverEnding Story (Family, Fantasty)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Crime, Thriller)
The Truman Show (Comedy)

The HoC with commentary is fantastic to see. I hope we see more of that kind of stuff in the future.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finished up season two of the New Girl. I thought it was even better than season one. I like the shift from Zooey/Day to the group as a whole. The season was filled with great episodes. It really found its voice. Plus who doesn't love Schmit or Nick?

I really appreciate the way Netflix always tries to point out in a movies description that a movie isnt the real deal and is a mockbuster. Movies like Transmorphers and such. Just noticed there is a cheap knock off of the Hansel and Gretel movie. Thats the kind of movie where someone could easily not know the full title and not know one from the other.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Guess I should finish Dexter even though these last few seasons have been pretty bad compared to the first few. Surprised they already have Season 8 on here. Didn't the show end only like less than 4 months ago?

Finished up season two of the New Girl. I thought it was even better than season one. I like the shift from Zooey/Day to the group as a whole. The season was filled with great episodes. It really found its voice. Plus who doesn't love Schmit or Nick?

Sadly, season 3 is not as good so far. Still good, but not as great.
Virgins is the best episode of the show so far though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I watched Conan since it was expiring soon. Pretty much in line with what I expected. Hot women and lots of blood. Seriously, blood flows like water in the movie. The acting is campy as fuck though. I think they only person that didn't dial it up a notch was Conan's sidekick. And I thought casting of Conan could have been better. The dialogue is filled with testosterone and cheesy lines. The action scenes were pretty good. The CGI is a bit rough, but I doubt you will be watching it for that. Overall. if you want to turn your brain off, this isn't a bad way to do it.

Sadly, season 3 is not as good so far. Still good, but not as great.
Virgins is the best episode of the show so far though.

Damn, sucks to hear. Although, the Netflix format helps with disappointing seasons. Virgins is in the top three favorite episodes. Flashback Nick was amazing lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Star Trek the Motion Picture is underrated as fuck.

amazing soundtrack.
epic twist.
sweet homage.
interesting politics.
clever approach to original series.
good writing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

amazing soundtrack.
epic twist.
sweet homage.
interesting politics.
good writing.

I believe in you Stinkles. Will watch it tomorrow night.

Guess I should finish Dexter even though these last few seasons have been pretty bad compared to the first few. Surprised they already have Season 8 on here. Didn't the show end only like less than 4 months ago?

Dexter had like one of the longest waits for new episodes.
I think they only had the 1st two seasons up 2 or 3 years back. Out of nowhere they added the 1st episode of season 4 & then nothing since recently.

Vyer

The Lifeguard was pretty meh. Movie kind of wanders, none of the characters are really likable or - save for Bell early on - all that relatable. It just felt like a movie trying too hard to be indie and thoughtful and introspective but wasn't really any of those things (save for indie I guess).

Bell does have a few PG-13 sex scenes, so there's that I guess.

Draconian

Dexter had like one of the longest waits for new episodes.
I think they only had the 1st two seasons up 2 or 3 years back. Out of nowhere they added the 1st episode of season 4 & then nothing since recently.

Yeah, they used to have the first two seasons and then it's been gone for two years. As I recall, the first four seasons went up around Halloween and now the whole series is up.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm watching Maron and really liking it so far. It's a bit rough but as a fan of Marc Maron I'm pleased with the show, and it's funnier than I was led to believe by some people. I'm glad it was picked up for a second season.

Started watching the last season of Dexter. I've seen 8 episodes so far and I would say its OK. Obviously there are some parts of the show where its unintentionally hilarious and some other parts where you just roll your eyes and groan at the absurdity that you're watching. I guess I haven't gotten to the part where it gets fucking terrible but up to this point it's been alright.

It's a bummer though because this show was amazing at some point but they decided to drag it out for 8 seasons.

amazing soundtrack.
epic twist.
sweet homage.
interesting politics.
good writing.

I like Star Trek the Motion Picture as well. It is a very, very slow and deliberately paced film, but that is what I like about it. It does a good job of keeping the mystery going until the final reveal. And even if some people hate the answer to the mystery, I love it.

Also, since the new Star Trek movies are a timeline that was created after a certain point, that means that technically V'ger from The Motion Picture and the whale probe from Star Trek IV are still on their way back to earth. I would like to see them handle that.

Finished American Horror Asylum. I thought series 1 was tighter with better twists - series 2 is just plain insanity. Fun stuff though! Jessica Lange was incredible.

Jack Reacher felt awkward, especially those moments when Cruise tries to be young and hunky. The camera work during the car chase scene was pretty awesome though.

Finished American Horror Asylum. I thought series 1 was tighter with better twists - series 2 is just plain insanity. Fun stuff though! Jessica Lange was incredible.

Jack Reacher felt awkward, especially those moments when Cruise tries to be young and hunky. The camera work during the car chase scene was pretty awesome though.

And the director of Jack Reacher is going to be doing Mission:Impossible V. Should be good.

Top Bottom