• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I was told Smallville, Buffy, Paranormal, etc. was good, and I believed them every time, and tried to watch those shows.

So this time, this is the CW show that is watchable for someone over the age of 18? I'm not falling for it again.

As I'm about finished with the first season, I feel confident in calling it compulsively watchable junk. The show is entertaining, no doubt, but it's also full of fluff, soapy drama (which, for the record, I am a big fan of in my shows), thuddingly dumb plot devices, and is wildly unbelievable -- and that's fine considering it's a comic book series, but don't fall for claims that it's especially grounded in reality.

I am having fun watching the show, but would also feel sheepish about mentioning this fact to most of my friends.

edit: you will feel bad about your physical appearance after getting into Arrow. I'm not even into muscly dudes, but I would happily stare for hours at the scene of Oliver doing one-arm pushups while we can glimpse down the back of his jeans. ヘ(´o`)ヘ

As I'm about finished with the first season, I feel confident in calling it compulsively watchable junk. The show is entertaining, no doubt, but it's also full of fluff, soapy drama (which, for the record, I am a big fan of in my shows), thuddingly dumb plot devices, and is wildly unbelievable -- and that's fine considering it's a comic book series, but don't fall for claims that it's especially grounded in reality.

I am having fun watching the show, but would also feel sheepish about mentioning this fact to most of my friends.

edit: you will feel bad about your physical appearance after getting into Arrow. I'm not even into muscly dudes, but I would happily stare for hours at the scene of Oliver doing one-arm pushups while we can glimpse down the back of his jeans. ヘ(´o`)ヘ
Well more grounded than other superhero shows, that's for sure. I'd be interested in what you think once you start the season 2. I think the show's been on a roll all season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I know there are dome Jim Norton fans here, he is on the latest episode of the Nerdist podcast if you are interested.

UK got Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia season 9.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Well more grounded than other superhero shows, that's for sure. I'd be interested in what you think once you start the season 2. I think the show's been on a roll all season.

Given the small snippets I've heard about the second season, I'll probably like the direction things are going in. The less grounded and more fantastical they want to make it, the better.

Well, I finished Dexter. Great series, one of my favorites.

The ending is quite unsatisfactory though. I didn't feel any kind of closure after watching it.

Symphonia

Banned
All content, one provider is the future.
As amazing as that would be, as mentioned before the price would be extremely high to keep a service like that running, plus I wouldn't accept anything less than a constant HD stream which would require high-speed internet, which not everyone has access to. Still, a service like that would be amazing. Imagine a service akin to Netflix where users are able to choose a channel at will (available in every country, so UK can watch NBC, and USA can watch BBC) and then choose any program from a catalog containing every single episode of every single TV show in history from the moment it's aired. Every episode of Doctor Who, old and new, sounds great to me.

Watched "Jacob's Ladder" again for the first time since I watched it on VHS over a decade ago. Great movie, and would recommend it if you understand that it's not a thriller with a dramatic, terrifying ending. Far from it.

Why do people keep classifying this as a thriller? Movie is straight horror genre.
The inspiration to Silent Hill.

I thought it was okay... idk... maybe I was just in the mood for an Arnold movie though.

The movie was as bad as I thought it would be. No wonder it bombed so big.
Movie felt like a mix of direct to video crap story, mixed in with a slick car commercial production values.

I also did find it funny the car product placement was more blatant than any of the Transformer movies.

The Last Stand, starring Chrysler, Dodge & co-starring Arnold Scwhageneger.

Well, I finished Dexter. Great series, one of my favorites.

The ending is quite unsatisfactory though. I didn't feel any kind of closure after watching it.

How would you rank the 6th, 7th & final season.
I'm on season 6th & it jumped the shark. I just can't force myself to watch the rest.

Tom Hanks son & James Edward Olmos stuff is hilarious. Can't believe people were supposed to take that seriously.

Are the 7th & 8th seasons any better or do they get worse?

I'm on season 6th & it jumped the shark. I just can't force myself to watch the rest.

Tom Hanks son & James Edward Olmos stuff is hilarious. Can't believe people were supposed to take that seriously.

7th and 8th seasons are fucking trash. The last season is the worst season of any TV show that I've ever watched in completion. I'm not exaggerating.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Why do people keep classifying this as a thriller? Movie is straight horror genre.
The inspiration to Silent Hill.
Where is this documented, by the way? It's so obviously got imagery that shows up in Silent Hill several years later, but I've not ever seen developers talking about it. I just know about the Kindergarten Cop references...

I'd argue that it doesn't neatly fit into horror or thriller. The ending is almost completely without the trappings of what I'd consider a horror movie. But that's just me. :)

Had a little documentary marathon. Watched Blackfish, Burn, and Inside North Korea. I found all of them fascinating and intriguing, recommended

I figured this was the case, thanks for the take.

7th and 8th seasons are fucking trash. The last season is the worst season of any TV show that I've ever watched in completion. I'm not exaggerating.

Honest question I'm on episode 9 of season 8 and does it get considerably worse or something. I'm not gonna lie, season 8 already has some hilarious, stupid and what the fuck moments but I don't see the intense vitriol that people have for it. I'll just say it's been OK, so far I actually prefer it to what I consider the worst season which is 5. Everything about that season was fucking trash and Lumen is probably the worst character that has ever appeared on the show.

I would say it's ranged from mediocre to OK.

Draconian

So where is the best place to stop on Dexter? I bailed out in the middle of season 3 because I just wasn't feeling it anymore. I actually thought Jimmy Smits was excellent, but the storyline just seemed a bit ridiculous. I was thinking about jumping back in because I heard season 4 with Lithgow is excellent.

Honest question I'm on episode 9 of season 8 and does it get considerably worse or something. I'm not gonna lie, season 8 already has some hilarious, stupid and what the fuck moments but I don't see the intense vitriol that people have for it. I'll just say it's been OK, so far I actually prefer it to what I consider the worst season which is 5. Everything about that season was fucking trash and Lumen is probably the worst character that has ever appeared on the show.

I would say it's ranged from mediocre to OK.

The last two episodes are almost nonsensical. It wraps up in a fantastically idiotic fashion.

I'd say that most of my vitriol stems from the fact that it was one of the best shows on TV up through season 4. It's difficult to feel differently when there's so much wasted potential.

So where is the best place to stop on Dexter? I bailed out in the middle of season 3 because I just wasn't feeling it anymore. I actually thought Jimmy Smits was excellent, but the storyline just seemed a bit ridiculous. I was thinking about jumping back in because I heard season 4 with Lithgow is excellent.

Season 4 is a personal favorite, though I've heard that some people like S1 or S2 more. Lithgow's performance is great.

Before I say anything, take into account that I am a huge fan of the series. With that in mind I tend to think that the 7th and 8th seasons are not real great. It's interesting adding in Yvonne Strahovsky but, it feels like they just started throwing darts at a board full of plot ideas and picking whatever shit they hit.

In a perfect world, for me, season five would have been the last one.

And I do agree with what was posted about the last two episodes. I really, really wanted to like them but, it was nothing but silly LOLWUT crap over and over.

All in all I'd classify Dexter as a great series that stuck around a couple years too long and, as such, ran out of interesting ideas.

The last two episodes are almost nonsensical. It wraps up in a fantastically idiotic fashion.

I'd say that most of my vitriol stems from the fact that it was one of the best shows on TV up through season 4. It's difficult to feel differently when there's so much wasted potential.

Alright kinda looking forward to the train wreck cos I'm not gonna lie I wanna see how Dexter gets himself out of the stupid situation that he creates for himself .

I started watching Terriers recently and I like it. It doesn't really take itself seriously and its just trying to be fun. Though they do get themselves involved in some serious shit though. I know people were sad went it got cancelled but I kinda like its just one season and I can move on to something else after that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Had a little documentary marathon. Watched Blackfish, Burn, and Inside North Korea. I found all of them fascinating and intriguing, recommended

If you want something a little more cheerful: Earth in a Day, and Happy, are two of my other favorites. Definitely loved Blackfish and Inside Korea. Never seen Burn, but I added it to my q.

Planet, you are in for a treat with Terriers. Fucking love that show.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Lithgow made S4 for me — I thought it was relatively weak aside from his character and performance. It's still much better than every season that follows it, though. I'd try to make it through the end of S4. I actually find the way it concludes to be a pretty acceptable series end, in a sense.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Beautiful Darling (Documentary, Biographical/Candy Darling)
House of Cards: Season 2 (Trailer)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Final Justice (TV, Comedy, SciFi)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Added today:

Beautiful Darling (Documentary, Biographical/Candy Darling)
House of Cards: Season 2 (Trailer)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Final Justice (TV, Comedy, SciFi)

I saw HoC, felt a surge of excitement... and then I read the last bit. lol.

Just finished watching S1 at about 3 am this morning. Was planning to stretch that out a bit better, but hey what can I say... Netflix is like crack sometimes.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I saw HoC, felt a surge of excitement... and then I read the last bit. lol.
Yeah same here. Increased heart rate then I was like "wtf".

Netflix is just dangling a raw steak in front of hungry wolves before yanking it away.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Watch the first episode of season 5 then bail the fuck out. Season 4 is actually incredible.

TCRS

Banned
People exaggerating again... I thought season 6 was pretty good and I'm also currently enjoying season 7. Don't listen to people draconian, just watch it and judge for yourself. Best way to go about it. S3 and S5 were the weaker ones imo.

I mean it does sometimes challenge my suspension of disbelief, but it doesn't bother me that much. I just love the show too much. The inner monologues, the soundtrack, the atmosphere. I think it's a great show.

Damn, I was just thinking about that North Korea documentary. What would have happened to the camera crew's minders? That's just scary to think about after watching that doc.

jakncoke

Banned
Rewatching Dexter on route to seasons 6-8 which I havent ever seen. Up to season 5, and I dont know if this ever came to you guys. But if there was this much murder in south florida it'd be like detroit ffs lol.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

The Lying Game: Season 2 (TV, Teen, Drama)

Sweden:

Brave (Family, Adventure, Animation)

Netherlands:

Alice in Wonderland (Live Action, Family, Adventure)

Time to check out Brave.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm two thirds of the way through Hansel and Gretel and I am enjoying it a fair amount. It's basically a shlock horror movie ala evil dead but obviously not at that level. Still, it has some nice practical effects, and it doesn't take itself at all seriously, making it a fun watch in my book.

Susurrus

Any word on if Netflix will be expanding to new territories any time soon? Living in Germany, I'm so close to so many Netflix regions, but alas we don't have. :(

Oh well, I'll keep my VPN.

Blablurn

Any word on if Netflix will be expanding to new territories any time soon? Living in Germany, I'm so close to so many Netflix regions, but alas we don't have. :(

Oh well, I'll keep my VPN.

Germany and Streaming. That's like Bayer Leverkusen and Championship titles. I doubt Netflix will care to do business here.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Great job I must say. Really appreciate the updates and helpful info from you and other folks in this thread!

Great work on the thread mang. I visit it every day!

Nice. Thanks for the thread, I find a lot of useful stuff for my Netflix experience in here.

Thanks guys for the kind words. I remember the last thread of having to dig through pages to see if anything good had been added.

It's decent. I found myself engaged enough to root for specific crap to happen.

Bonus:
Olivia Wilde gets naked in it (briefly).

Even though I'm still iffy on the movie, I would recommend people giving it a watch. Especially if you are a fan of any of the main cast. They did a great job in this. And the bonus is nice.

This thread is my go to source for Netflix info, and that is all thanks to GK86. It is the perfect one stop shopping for any info about what is coming and going from Netflix.

Thank you.

X6fvllG.gif

Romantics Anonymous
romanticsanonymousimage.jpg.jpg

French film about a skilled but socially inept chocolatier and lacking social grace chocolate company owner and their budding relationship. A few scenes with delicious looking chocolate (and I don't even like chocolate that much), a quirky song (well sort of), a loveable supporting cast, and an unexpectedly expected ending.

Reminds me of Amelie.

Top Bottom