• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This thread is my go to source for Netflix info, and that is all thanks to GK86. It is the perfect one stop shopping for any info about what is coming and going from Netflix.

Thank you.

Thanks for the thread. I mostly only lurk here, but those lists are useful.

<33 Thanks guys for the love.

[BRomantics Anonymous][/B]

French film about a skilled but socially inept chocolatier and lacking social grace chocolate company owner and their budding relationship. A few scenes with delicious looking chocolate (and I don't even like chocolate that much), a quirky song (well sort of), a loveable supporting cast, and an unexpectedly expected ending.

Reminds me of Amelie.

I looked up the trailer and it looks good. I will check it out later tonight or tomorrow.

Was pumped to finally watch the hunt only to find the subtitles out of sync. Anyone else experience the same thing?

Yeah, it has been out of sync the past week. The subtitles are faster than the speech, right?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
QWqykO1.jpg

Lol freaking amazing. Especially Dayman.

Kagey K

Banned
QWqykO1.jpg

Lol freaking amazing. Especially Dayman.

Hey guys long time lurker and fan of this thread, finally signed up and thought I'd say thanks for the updates and recommendations.

Love the Dayman stats, I could hear the song as a read it.

Something I don't think I've ever seen talked about here, but noticed lately is why does Mythbusters only have 10 episodes per season in the US, and 30+ On the UK version? Is the US just supposed to be a sample or a top 10 of the season?

It seems silly to me to have to go to Uk to see all the episodes instead of just select ones. On that same thought how come I have to revert to Canada to see most of the mid 2000's SNL? And why are season 31 and 32 cut to 20 mins/episode?

Sorry if this is obtrusive, I have lurked forever and wanted to say many things before, but I made the plunge and signed up, and this is my fav thread so I thought I'd hit it up and put it out there.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The SNL question is an easy one to answer. Yahoo brought up the streaming rights. So for the older stuff, you have to go to their site to watch.

The Mythbusters is a little trickier. I haven't read why there are 10 or so episodes per season. It isn't unusual for shows to have incomplete season(s). My guess is they want you watching the show on their network, even if it is re-runs. I haven't turned on a cable box in forever, but I'm guessing Discovery still does Mythbusters marathons.

And welcome to the thread!

Edit- I also sung the lyrics as I read his card lol. Actually, I pictured the scene. Then I went to watch the episode.

Vyer

So, as somebody else mentioned in that thread in gaming, I'm pretty sure that Comcast is throttling streaming/Netflix. Suddenly I can only get HD quality in very off peak times, if at all. This is across multiple devices.

As a result I'm interested in what these VPN services offer. Is it only good for region blocks? How does it work exactly and how would it help me to see a more consistent HD stream?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So, as somebody else mentioned in that thread in gaming, I'm pretty sure that Comcast is throttling streaming/Netflix. Suddenly I can only get HD quality in very off peak times, if at all. This is across multiple devices.

As a result I'm interested in what these VPN services offer. Is it only good for region blocks? How does it work exactly and how would it help me to see a more consistent HD stream?

In theory, it should help. Comcast is hitting the throttling switch every time they see Netflix pop up on their screens. The VPN is meant to hide your internet activity. So if they can't see the Netflix data, they won't push the magic button. Which in turn should help you land HD streams. This is assuming of course that Comcast isn't also throttling based on data caps.

Check the OP for two of the most used VPN's in this thread. Personally, I use Unblock, but I don't mind shelling out the $5. They have a week trial so you can try them out and see if it helps. There is also Hola which is free to use. Never used it, but a lot of posters here love the service.

Vyer

In theory, it should help. Comcast is hitting the throttling switch every time they see Netflix pop up on their screens. The VPN is meant to hide your internet activity. So if they can't see the Netflix data, they won't push the magic button. Which in turn should help you land HD streams. This is assuming of course that Comcast isn't also throttling based on data caps.

Check the OP for two of the most used VPN's in this thread. Personally, I use Unblock, but I don't mind shelling out the $5. They have a week trial so you can try them out and see if it helps. There is also Hola which is free to use. Never used it, but a lot of posters here love the service.

cool, I think I'll give it a shot. At least I'd have a better idea of what's going on.

Thanks for the info GK

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
cool, I think I'll give it a shot. At least I'd have a better idea of what's going on.

Thanks for the info GK

One more thing I forgot, VPN's slow down your internet speed a bit. So keep that in mind.

And no problem. Hopefully it helps you with the throttling. Awesome side effect: You unlock the holy grail known as the Netflix regions.

Finally saw Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. It was much better then I expected it to be. Some of the shots were actually really cool. I liked it. Looking forward to The Last Stand and Jack Reacher.

Kagey K

Banned
The SNL question is an easy one to answer. Yahoo brought up the streaming rights. So for the older stuff, you have to go to their site to watch.

The Mythbusters is a little trickier. I haven't read why there are 10 or so episodes per season. It isn't unusual for shows to have incomplete season(s). My guess is they want you watching the show on their network, even if it is re-runs. I haven't turned on a cable box in forever, but I'm guessing Discovery still does Mythbusters marathons.

And welcome to the thread!

Edit- I also sung the lyrics as I read his card lol. Actually, I pictured the scene. Then I went to watch the episode.

I loved the bar song on the awards show, but in typical sunny they fucked it up. Same with the ninja style a few episodes later.

Attack on Titan was added today. That's good news cause I was trying to watch it on Hulu but stopped after about 4 episodes cause I couldn't take watching the same commercial incessantly.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Attack on Titan (Anime)
IP Man: The Final Fight (Action, Drama, Martial Arts, Foreign)

Added today:

Attack of the Titan (Anime)
IP Man: The Final Fight (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
There was another Ip Man sequel? Donnie Yen in this one as well?

And fantastic job with the thread. It's a great collection of info on new releases and impressions on what's good or not. I'm even using the thread more than Instant Watcher

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
There was another Ip Man sequel? Donnie Yen in this one as well?

And fantastic job with the thread. It's a great collection of info on new releases and impressions on what's good or not. I'm even using the thread more than Instant Watcher

This is like a side story or something. Donnie Isn't in this one. Reading more on it, it seems to be more drama than action.

Thanks dude. Instant Watcher used to be a gold mine for info until Netflix started changing its policies.

Yes, screw you Crunchyroll and your crappy streaming technology! <3 Netflix

What's crappy about Crunchyroll? It hasn't been any worse than Netflix for me.

I wish shows played in the kids only side didn't affect what is listed in the normal UI. Over half of what is displayed in my Netflix UI is kids shows, it makes it kind of useless.

Aiii

So not worth it

I wish shows played in the kids only side didn't affect what is listed in the normal UI. Over half of what is displayed in my Netflix UI is kids shows, it makes it kind of useless.

They fixed this, make a seperate account for your kids.

Might be a while before your suggested items are cleaned up though :D

Fox1304

Crunchyroll's streaming has always been a mess for me on PS3/PS4.
When Netflix manages to deliver a 1080p/5.1 Dolby, Crunchyroll has to buffer every 10s. Completely unusable for me.

Coop

I just finished watching attack on Titan the other day and didn't like it. It reminded me too much of lost. The plot moved at a snails pace and the main character is all sorts of awful.

FloatOn

I haven't watched anime in years but I constantly hear how good this attack on titan show is. I'll give it a go.

I started watching the the bell witch haunting the other day. It's a pretty poor paranormal activity ripoff. These types of movies are my guilty pleasure so I'll probably finish it.

Vyer

One more thing I forgot, VPN's slow down your internet speed a bit. So keep that in mind.

And no problem. Hopefully it helps you with the throttling. Awesome side effect: You unlock the holy grail known as the Netflix regions.

Interesting. I will definitely consider that. I may give the Unblock trial a whirl.

On a related note, I watched Jack Reacher last night about 1am. Crystal clear HD too. Freakin' Comcast.

(Reacher was a lot better than I expected)

cereal_killerxx

Watched the Korean movie The Tower. Pretty badass imo. Great special effects and emotional stuff. Can anyone recommend some other good foreign movies like this on Netflix?

Also started watching Nikita. Started out a little generic but it really seems to hit it's stride in the second season. Great performance from Maggie Q. I'll probably check out Arrow next.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I stumbled upon Amelie. It is up. I checked and double checked to make sure I was in the US lol.

Watched the Korean movie The Tower. Pretty badass imo. Great special effects and emotional stuff. Can anyone recommend some other good foreign movies like this on Netflix?

Also started watching Nikita. Started out a little generic but it really seems to hit it's stride in the second season. Great performance from Maggie Q. I'll probably check out Arrow next.

When you say like this, do you mean like disaster type movie? I don't think there are too many more of those on Netflix. Maybe Tidal Wave.

If you meant foreign movies in general:

The Host (Korean)
Gomorrah
Dogtooth
Oldboy (Korean)
War of the Arrows (Korean)
Chaser (Korean)
I Saw the Devil (Korean)
The Man From Nowhere (Korean)
Amelie

verbum

Two movies I enjoyed recently:

"A Lonely Place To Die" -A group of mountaineers in the Scottish Highlands discover a kidnapped girl and are pursued by her captors..
and
"The Raven" -When a madman begins committing horrific murders inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's works, a young Baltimore detective joins forces with Poe to stop him from making his stories a reality.

Both were enjoyable and kept my interest.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is Attack on Titan worth watching? I'm not really a big anime watcher and truth be told most animes aren't my style since I feel like their stories are generally pretty boring. The last one I really enjoyed was Death Note. How does Attack on Titan compare?

Is Attack on Titan worth watching? I'm not really a big anime watcher and truth be told most animes aren't my style since I feel like their stories are generally pretty boring. The last one I really enjoyed was Death Note. How does Attack on Titan compare?

It's really good. It's not Hunter x Hunter good, but it's worth watching.

I was just thinking, you know what would be a cool feature on Netflix?
Just like we can see New Releases, etc., would be nice if there was a Coming Soon section, and we could add upcoming movies and shows to our Queue

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Two movies I enjoyed recently:

"A Lonely Place To Die" -A group of mountaineers in the Scottish Highlands discover a kidnapped girl and are pursued by her captors..
and
"The Raven" -When a madman begins committing horrific murders inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's works, a young Baltimore detective joins forces with Poe to stop him from making his stories a reality.

Both were enjoyable and kept my interest.

The Raven has gotten lots of love in this thread. I will watch it later tonight.

I was just thinking, you know what would be a cool feature on Netflix?
Just like we can see New Releases, etc., would be nice if we could see Coming Soon, and add upcoming movies and shows to our Queue

Would be nice, but I doubt it would happen. Netflix ended the "coming soon" api stuff awhile back. So I doubt they would add it as a feature. I would love to eat crow on this though. Especially since Feedfliks is down for whatever reason. They were the last remaining site with a coming soon list.

legend166

What they really need is to let you download a show to a device for a day or something. I want to be able to watch things in the train but mobile data caps make it impossible. Let me download it at home on the wifi. Put some DRM on the file so it expires after a day or something.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
What they really need is to let you download a show to a device for a day or something. I want to be able to watch things in the train but mobile data caps make it impossible. Let me download it at home on the wifi. Put some DRM on the file so it expires after a day or something.

Hoooo boy, and you thought Netflix already had a hard time getting studios to license their properties out for streaming?

legend166

Hoooo boy, and you thought Netflix already had a hard time getting studios to license their properties out for streaming?

I understand what you mean, but I don't see why it wouldn't matter. It's basically a short term caching mechanism. No different to what the streaming music services offer.

I started watching "I Give It A Year" yesterday and holy crap man was I not expecting it to be that funny. I ended up stopping about 20 minutes in because I want to watch it with my wife but it was really funny.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I started watching "I Give It A Year" yesterday and holy crap man was I not expecting it to be that funny. I ended up stopping about 20 minutes in because I want to watch it with my wife but it was really funny.

Just looked up the film, good cast (Rose Byrne <3). I wonder why I haven't heard of the film before. Especially since it came out last year. Added and will watch with the gf next week.

Just looked up the film, good cast (Rose Byrne <3). I wonder why I haven't heard of the film before. Especially since it came out last year. Added and will watch with the gf next week.

It's a British film and I don't believe it got much marketing on this side of the pond.

Revolver

I finally watched Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. I liked it more than I thought I would. It's a goofy movie and a fun watch, reminds me a lot of movies like Underworld. Gemma Arterton and Jeremy Renner worked well together. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.

Also saw Europa Report and thought it was all right, though quite slow. I didn't care for the crew's actions in the later half and the ending was kind of a letdown. But they made good use of a small budget and I'm glad it didn't turn into a typical space horror movie which is how the description made it sound.

Heel

Getting back on Netflix after about a decade of absence and I've got a question.

I've rated about 300 different movies and TV shows, but the "Top Picks" stream is still absolutely awful. It's recommending shows that it predicts I'll rate 2 stars, but I can go to sub genres and sort by "Highest Rated" instead of "Suggestions for You" and it'll have movies that it predicts I'll rate close to 5 stars. It's even giving me suggestions from genres I've marked as "never".

Will it improve, or does this feature just inherently suck? Do studios pay to get suggested?

Also, when I first booted it up it asked me to pick 5 selections from a list of a few dozen, and now I get recommendations for "More like Flight" etc. Will this go away? I don't care haha.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Romantics Anonymous

French film about a skilled but socially inept chocolatier and lacking social grace chocolate company owner and their budding relationship. A few scenes with delicious looking chocolate (and I don't even like chocolate that much), a quirky song (well sort of), a loveable supporting cast, and an unexpectedly expected ending.

Reminds me of Amelie.

This was a great movie. A charming little comedy. The dinner scene was probably my favorite thing. It had me laughing. I did like the supporting cast, but man, the two main actors were fantastic. The ending was very fitting and well done. Thank you for the recommendation.

Top Bottom