• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

RedAssedApe

Banned
watched drinking buddies.

like the cast olivia wilde and anna kendrick, nick from new girl, and office space guy...movie was kind of depressing though lol

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Feb is shaping up very nicely. Season 2 of House of Cards and the 2nd half of the final season of Breaking Bad!

Oh man, HoC S2. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

Speaking of HoC, has anyone watched the episodes with commentary?

watched drinking buddies.

like the cast olivia wilde and anna kendrick, nick from new girl, and office space guy...movie was kind of depressing though lol

The cast was wonderful in this.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix UK has the best fan page (on fb):

3JQMmbj.jpg

c8SfC71.jpg

400SwYn.jpg

r5q6XIO.jpg

JBTTlvm.jpg

U3QOVb0.jpg

The prison break bingo is amazing. "Michael's Blue Steel Stare" and "T-Bag's Tongue" lol.

Zaphod

My wife marathoned through this Korean serial drama called "Pasta" (Netflix Canada Region)

It's really sappy but I actually got into it. Not bad couples stuff.

My girlfriend is tearing through this at the moment. I've enjoyed the cheesy bits I've seen and I like the attention that is paid to the food that they create.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hansel and Gretel was actually surprisingly entertaining... I mean, it's dumb, but it was fun. And the women were nice.

Vyer

Reading more the last few days and this Comcast/Netflix stuff is fascinating. Obviously a lot of people have noticed that *something* has changed in the last few months, of course everyone is pointing fingers at each other and no one is clear how many ISPs actually have the issue because of so much anecdotal evidence. Add in questions of what Open Connect has impacted and it seems a giant clusterfuck. I'm surprised more tech blogs and such haven't picked up on it.

RBH

n-BREAKING-BAD-large570.jpg

The Huffington Post reports (and Netflix confirms) that the final eight episodes of Breaking Bad will be available on the streaming service on February 24th.

This actually represents the US doing a little bit of catch-up: Netflix subscribers in the UK were able to watch the final episodes immediately after they were aired. Netflix and Breaking Bad have become intertwined over the past few years, with the show's creators crediting the service — and the binge watching it enables — for growing Bad's fanbase. That relationship looks like it's going to continue with the upcoming spinoff, Better Call Saul: the new show will be debuting internationally on Netflix as well.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/11/5...-breaking-bad-is-coming-to-netflix-next-month

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

It's a Girl (Documentary, Cultural/Abortions/China/India)
The Attack (Drama, Foreign)

Canada:

Dealin' with Idiots (Indie, Comedy)
Frances Ha (Indie, Comedy)
It's a Girl (Documentary, Cultural/Abortions/China/India)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jack Reacher is pretty good. Tom Cruise's impression of Clint Eastwood is top notch.

Jack Reacher isn't bad actually. But it's your standard Tom Clancy-esque story. They did have some very realistic elements. Some.

Jack Reacher wasn't great but it was kinda fun watching him just beat up dudes. Cruise was really the only standout person in it for me. Werner Herzog was great, but he should've been in it way more

Agreed. I went in with low expectations and really not knowing what exactly the movie was about. I thought it was a good and a fun action/thriller. The car chase scene was great. The fight scenes were well choreographed too. Give it a watch.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I started watching "I Give It A Year" yesterday and holy crap man was I not expecting it to be that funny. I ended up stopping about 20 minutes in because I want to watch it with my wife but it was really funny.

I loved it. The main cast was good, but what made it for me was the supporting cast. Stephen and Minnie in particular. Every scene they were in was pure gold. The charade scene had me rolling.

Gave House of Cards a go.

Seems like a well made show that I will enjoy but I think after marathon'ing through Breaking Bad the last month I need something a little less tense for the next while.

Ill give Dr Who a shot and finish up the second half of the IT crowd.

Draconian

Gave House of Cards a go.

Seems like a well made show that I will enjoy but I think after marathon'ing through Breaking Bad the last month I need something a little less tense for the next while.

Ill give Dr Who a shot and finish up the second half of the IT crowd.

Haha yeah, House of Cards only gets more tense as you get later into the season. I can't wait for season two though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Watched Hansel and Gretel. I liked it. Went in thinking it would be overly cheesy, but it was a good action/fantasy flick. The make up was great. They did a bang up job with it. You saw the twist coming half way through but it didn't take away too much from the movie. Recommend it.

Forgot to mention it needs to be watched with subtitles if you're not British.

I'm about to give this a watch. Edit- Should be mention for anyone interested in watching The Guard, it is in Netflix Canada, not US.

Another one from Netflix UK:

Kwixotik

I just watched Ghost Dog and it was excellent.

220px-Ghost_Dog.jpg

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai is a 1999 American crime action film written and directed by Jim Jarmusch. Forest Whitaker stars as the title character, the mysterious "Ghost Dog", a hitman in the employ of the Mafia, who follows the ancient code of the samurai as outlined in the book of Yamamoto Tsunetomo's recorded sayings, Hagakure.

jakncoke

Banned
My dexter marathon is over. end of another era in my tv viewing life. dat ending. Im going to have to side with that one guy and say gaf was far too critical and hyperbolic on seasons 5-8, there was still many emotional peaks there even if they strayed from the bread and butter.
he should of went down with this sister to end the show

yeaaaaaaaah Ghost Dog is the shit. it's the only Jarmusch movie i've seen. should get around to Dead man sometime

also, Primer expires on the 15th. wasn't expecting that.

sol_bad

Crunchyroll's streaming has always been a mess for me on PS3/PS4.
When Netflix manages to deliver a 1080p/5.1 Dolby, Crunchyroll has to buffer every 10s. Completely unusable for me.

My only problem with Crunchyroll is that it's 720p on the PS3/PS4 app but 1080p in a PC browser. As if I'm going to watch it on my console when it's browser version is better.

Makes absolutely no sense to me to have the app version in a lower res!
In my browser I just let it buffer for a couple of minutes before pressing play.

C4Lukins

Attack on Titan.... What an infuriating series.

So outside of feature length Japanese animation Films, I have never really watched a Japanese animated series.

So I am not sure if this is common, but what a fucking nightmare watching these 25 episodes was.

So first off, episodes 23 and 24 are in the wrong order on Netflix. So if you get that far, watch episode 24 first and then 23. This is important because a huge spoiler happens in the first few seconds if you get it wrong.

Now on to the format. Each episode is about 24 minutes long. So at the begining of each episode, you usually get about two minutes of refreshing you on the series, a minute and a half of intro music, and then typically you are brought back to the final minute of the previous episode which you watch to get back to new material. So for those not keeping up, we are about 5 minutes in before the new episode actually starts.

Now, you have 19 minutes left and quite commonly a couple of those minutes are devoted to flashbacks to previous episodes. Not new material flashbacks, but straight up flashbacks to previous episodes as if you had the attention span of a marmot.

So the episode continues, and then ends with about two minutes remaining with credits and a preview of the next episode. So at the end of the day, maybe each episode is 18 minutes of new material, which is fine, but the way it is presented is a nightmare. Those 18 minutes are hidden under layers of nonsense. It is really almost a nightmare to watch.

And the series is so good at times which makes the format all the more sad. There are problems with it beyond the format, but I will leave that for another time.

C4Lukins

Best thing about the series is this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHCLjuOzXY

I haven't actually watched more than an episode yet. Thanks for the heads up about the episode order. And yeah a lot of shows do the whole recap, preview thing. Can't you just skip them? :)

You can fast forward, but the openings are not consistent enough with their length that you can assume where the show starts. Still a really good show, but you have to put up with a lot of shit.

sol_bad

You can fast forward, but the openings are not consistent enough with their length that you can assume where the show starts. Still a really good show, but you have to put up with a lot of shit.

You should see Naruto, sometimes half the episode is explaining what happens.
I only recently started watching it and am only at episode 34. I had been out of the anime game since at least 2003 so I have had a lot to catch up on.

So first off, episodes 23 and 24 are in the wrong order on Netflix. So if you get that far, watch episode 24 first and then 23. This is important because a huge spoiler happens in the first few seconds if you get it wrong.

Ah thanks for the heads up on that. I'm really enjoying Attack on Titan - shit's crazy insane.

As for the 24 min. format, that's pretty standard for Japanese anime. Samurai Champloo, Trigun, etc. does the same thing - intro, ending and even backstory and you got perhaps 15 minutes of content.

Drakken

Anybody who liked In Bruges should check out The Guard. Not as funny but darker with a more complex story.

rip-the-guard-dvd.jpg

Thanks for the rec; I love In Bruges so I'll check this out.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it's not available. Maybe I have to switch to another region (I'm in the US)?

Jak so Dexter worth the watch? Looking for some new shows to start soon.

Definitely, though you'll get varying opinions on whether you should just watch the first four seasons or tough it out and watch all eight. I'm inclined to say call it quits after the first four because there's better stuff out there you could spend your time watching, but if you do go through with it, know that the best is behind you. And do not have high expectations for the ending, because... just... yeah.

Now on to the format. Each episode is about 24 minutes long. So at the begining of each episode, you usually get about two minutes of refreshing you on the series, a minute and a half of intro music, and then typically you are brought back to the final minute of the previous episode which you watch to get back to new material. So for those not keeping up, we are about 5 minutes in before the new episode actually starts.

Now, you have 19 minutes left and quite commonly a couple of those minutes are devoted to flashbacks to previous episodes. Not new material flashbacks, but straight up flashbacks to previous episodes as if you had the attention span of a marmot.

So the episode continues, and then ends with about two minutes remaining with credits and a preview of the next episode. So at the end of the day, maybe each episode is 18 minutes of new material, which is fine, but the way it is presented is a nightmare. Those 18 minutes are hidden under layers of nonsense. It is really almost a nightmare to watch.

And the series is so good at times which makes the format all the more sad. There are problems with it beyond the format, but I will leave that for another time.

Yeah, this is somewhat annoying. I always skip ahead, but like you said, the timing is inconsistent so you never know how far to go.

I have... three episodes to go I believe. Been going through it on Crunchyroll with their free trial. I'm enjoying it, though I don't know how inclined I would have been to finish it if a couple close friends hadn't already seen it and recommended it. It's been more interesting lately, though - really curious to see how things end up.

Cool to see it's finally on Netflix. I heard the subtitles were messed up, though (I'm assuming typos, grammatical errors, and such). Anybody know if that's true?

Attack on Titan.... What an infuriating series.

So outside of feature length Japanese animation Films, I have never really watched a Japanese animated series.

So I am not sure if this is common, but what a fucking nightmare watching these 25 episodes was.

Attack on Titan is also the first anime series I ever watched and you're not wrong. It's actually infuriating to watch. The dialogue in the show is one of my biggest problem with it. It's so fucking rote. Get to the damn point already. How many times is Eren going to have another realization about what he's supposed to do? The show should have been 15 episodes max not 25 freaking episodes. Aside from that, I thought the show was good and enough interesting things happened and I'm looking forward to the second season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Being Human: Season 3 (TV, Drama, Fantasy)
Blindsided (Thriller)
Cinco de Mayo, La Batalla (Action, Foreign)
Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain (Stand up)

Canada:

Dollhouse (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
Maz Jobrani: I Come in Peace (Stand up)

How long is the wait going to be for S2 of OitNB?

Spring 2014.

Heel

Friend Mak, have you seen The Chaser? Just noticed that it's on Netflix. One of my favorite Korean action flicks. If you're reading this and not named Mak, you should watch it too. It puts "Jack Reacher" and the like to shame. Be sure to reply after you've watched it and tell everyone that Heel, a man of impeccable movie taste, was absolutely right.

Top Bottom