• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Wrong (should have a pic of brain in the shape of a dog).
A cerebral and nihilistic quirky film about a man who one day loses his dog and shit gets weird.
"These are my dog's turd's memories?"

He was a Quiet Man
A mind fuck of a movie that not at all what seems even at the last minute. A man carries a gun into work one day to end it all but becomes an accidental hero.

I've finished watching Urbanized, and found out it's part of a trilogy with Helvetica and Objectified, both of which I've seen. I enjoyed Helvetica too, but I saw Objectified several months ago and don't remember anything about it. I should see it again.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix released their Q4 results. Some good news all around:

Netflix revealed its fourth quarter earnings today, capping off a banner year that saw the streaming service surpass HBO in subscriber count and earn critical acclaim for its original programming. In Q4, the company handily beat Wall Street expectations with revenue of $1.18 billion and earnings per share of $0.79. During the same period last year (before viewers had streamed a single episode of House of Cards), Netflix earned 13 cents per share on revenue of $945 million. Ahead of today's official earnings, Wall Street estimates had landed on $1.16 billion in revenue and earnings per share of $0.65.

But investors (and Netflix's competitors) are far more interested in a different number: the company's subscriber growth. Netflix added 2.33 million new domestic subscribers in Q4, bringing its total US subscriber base to 33.42 million.Factoring in international markets, that number swells even higher to over 44 million. The company's original forecast called for 1.6 million to 2.4 million new customers for the quarter. Clearly there's still room for growth, and Netflix's impressive programming lineup continues to reel in new subscribers. Still, some analysts are concerned that Netflix — now bigger than HBO — may be nearing the saturation point for home streaming. To keep current trends moving, Netflix says it's experimenting with price points and hopes to "offer new members a selection of three simple options to fit everyone’s taste."

Thread. Source link.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Trash Dance (Documentary, Social)
Unfinished Song (Indie, Drama, Comedy)

Canada:

A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise (Family, Animation)
Dear Frankie (Indie, Drama, Romantic)
Judas Kiss (Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes: Maximum Overload (Family, Adventure)
The Muslims Are Coming! (Documentary, Stand up)
UFC 166: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos 3 (Sports)
Undertow (Drama, Gay & Lesbian, Foreign)

Mexico:

The Croods (Animation, Family)

UK:

LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes: Maximum Overload (Family, Adventure)
The Muslims Are Coming! (Documentary, Stand up)

RBH

Netflix released their Q4 results. Some good news all around:

Thread. Source link.

An additional note from Netflix's letter to its shareholders:

Last April we introduced a 4-concurrent stream $11.99 option to begin our evaluation of plan tiering. Since late last year, we have also been testing 1-stream and 3-stream variants, as well as SD/HD variations, at various price points. Eventually, we hope to be able to offer new members a selection of three simple options to fit everyone’s taste.

If we do make pricing changes for new members, existing members would get generous grandfathering of their existing plans and prices, so there would be no material near-term revenue increase from moving to this potential broader set of options. We are in no rush to implement such new member plans and are still researching the best way to proceed.
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...93c02da2354f/Q4 13 Letter to shareholders.pdf

jakncoke

Banned
Been hitting up a lot of random movies lately, here are some of the ones I thought were at least average

An Awkward Sexual Adventure
The Brass Teapot
Narc
Syrup
Drink Buddies
Sexy Evil Genius
Novacaine

Its amazing how I can still find enjoyable content, even when hitting up the lower end movies. For instance Syup made 663 dollars total in the box office :p

Been hitting up a lot of random movies lately, here are some of the ones I thought were at least average

The Brass Teapot
Narc
Syrup
Drink Buddies
Sexy Evil Genius
Novacaine

Its amazing how I can still find enjoyable content, even when hitting up the lower end movies. For instance Syup made 663 dollars total in the box office :p

To be fair, it was only open on one screen and probably wasn't even advertised at all.

jakncoke

Banned
Jak, what are your thoughts on Drink Buddies?

Its a pretty good movie, Im glad the story played out the way it did because I thought the way it was going it was going to be awfully predictable and movie feeling if that makes sense. Also they sure do love their beer :p

@Jest Chilling : No doubt, I find it humorous when I run across a movie that made less than a middle class does in a pay check

Has there been any news on when we can expect more than one season of Cartoon Networks offerings to come to US Netflix? One season of venture and adventure time just doesn't cut it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Its a pretty good movie, Im glad the story played out the way it did because I thought the way it was going it was going to be awfully predictable and movie feeling if that makes sense. Also they sure do love their beer :p

Lol yeah it make sense. Olivia and Jake were great in this.

Has there been any news on when we can expect more than one season of Cartoon Networks offerings to come to US Netflix? One season of venture and adventure time just doesn't cut it.

UK recently added season two of both Johnny Bravo and Samurai Jack, so hopefully soon. But there was a report not to long ago that said CN was losing ratings since they put up content, maybe they got cold feet.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Not even sure how long it's been on Netflix, but I finally got around to starting up Avengers EMH.

Well, 3 days later, I've finished it, and now hit the "awww damn, they cancelled/ended the show" :/

It was a pretty great show, that hit on alot of the "big arcs" from the comics.

Draconian

It's interesting watching Breaking Bad (into season 3 now) and knowing that they're giving Saul a spinoff. He's hilarious and always a good break from the intense drama on the show, but it seems like such an off the wall choice of a character to give their own show. I'll definitely watch, because I think the show will certainly be much different in tone than Breaking Bad, but it will be interesting to see what kinds of story arcs and characters they surround him with.

The Brass Teapot
Narc
Syrup
Drink Buddies
Sexy Evil Genius
Novacaine

I enjoyed Syrup.

A movie I watched recently that I thought was really funny was 21 & Over.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A True Story (Indie, Comedy)
John Mulaney: New in Town (Stand up)
Nantucket Film Festival's 2nd Comedy Roundtable (Documentary, Stand up)

The Nantucket film features Ben Stiller, Mike Myers, Seth Meyers and Michael Ian Black.

Kaladin

Netflix really does get jack shit for new movies in the US.

It's a good thing I don't use it for that and don't mind paying $5 for a movie night at home off Amazon Instant Video or something like that.

Added today:

The Nantucket film features Ben Stiller, Mike Myers, Seth Meyers and Michael Ian Black.

New in Town is fantastic. If you like standup, PLEASE watch it. (Also, I was at the taping, so you might catch a glimpse of the back of my head at one point.)

Netflix people - one of the funniest comedians active today's comedy special was just added to Netflix ..
. I haven't seen it yet but I know from Comedy Bang Bang, Kroll Show, and SNL that this is one of the funniest guys around.

Proof of his funniness:

Comedy Bang Bang episode 107 - Maybe its Maybelline

Comedy Bang Bang episode 174 - Series Regulars

number11

Has anyone else had poor image quality from netflix lately? I normally get Super HD from beginning to end.. now every film I watch drops down to SD

jakncoke

Banned
Added today:

The first was a nice watch, will watch this one to see if it holds up to the first

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Canada:

Final Destination 3 (Horror, Supernatural)
Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters, Way of the Creature - Season 1/2 (TV, Kids)
Nashville (TV, Drama)
Velvet Goldmine (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)

Sweden:

The Pink Panther ('06, Comedy)
Walking Tall (Action)
West Side Story (Musical, Drama)
When Harry Met Sally (Romantic, Comedy)

Netherlands:

Resident Evil: Damnation (Action, Zombie)
The Following Season 1 (TV, Drama, Thriller)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Airplane, Naked Gun, and Harold & Maude, all stuff I wanna see. good stuff all around, I love Sunset Boulevard.

They don't always have the complete list too. But I'm looking forward to the Airplane/Naked Gun's movies again.

The first was a nice watch, will watch this one to see if it holds up to the first

It looks interesting. I'm a fan of all those guys so I will definitely be watching it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Last year was Chris Rock, Bill Hader, Ben Stiller and Jim Carrey if anyone is curious.

Just watched it. I enjoyed it. Hearing them all talk about their stories and experiences was great. I'm about to watch the 2nd one now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Airplane, Sunset Blvd., and Harold and Maude are all required viewing.

Also, Queer as Folk US! Yass! I've been wanting to watch that for so long. I'm glad to see Showtime adding some of their older stuff to the service. I wish HBO would follow suit. (yeah right)

I liked Drive a lot, but Only God Forgives didn't do anything for me. Cinematography and soundtrack were both great though. some brutal fuckin kills too

Nyx

Watched American Me for the first time since the 90s.

Remembered it was good, but damn, it's not just good but great!

For me this movie is up there with the likes of Scarface and such, recommended !!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
naked gun, the good the bad and the ugly, the usual suspects, airplane, jesus camp...all very entertaining films.

Kaladin

I signed up for a Netflix disc plan again. I forgot about the delay they have in receiving blu-rays from studios. That's what made me drop it in the first place.

Just finished The Act of Killing. That was one of the heaviest documentaries I've ever seen. I highly recommend it, but only watch it if you're prepared for something pretty dark. It was so well made.

strafer

God, Superman Returns on Netflix, just noticed.

I don't know if I wanna watch that after Man of Steel.

Brandon Routh looks like a child now. >.<

ToxicAdam

Watched the doc Strongman last night. Totally, completely bizarre. Nothing really happens in it, but is oddly compelling.

Others I have seen in the past few weeks:

Finding Sean - Terrific slice of life that examines the cultural changes of the late 60's.

Burn - follows a Detroit fire department for a year. Really touching and well-shot.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Dallas: Season 2 ('12, TV, Drama)
Mitt (Documentary, Political)
Man of Tai Chi (Action, Martial Arts)

Canada:

Hero (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Mitt (Documentary, Political)
V/H/S/2 (Horror)

statham

Watched the Last Stand. an '80s style action movie that I'm going to guess was made in a month. at best its decent.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished The Act of Killing. That was one of the heaviest documentaries I've ever seen. I highly recommend it, but only watch it if you're prepared for something pretty dark. It was so well made.

The Act Of Killing is truly amazing. Can´t recommend it enough but be warned, it won´t be a comfortable viewing.

Just finished it. Great documentary. The moment in the doc when they are showing the film they were shooting, it was a scene by the waterfall, and the dude gives himself a medal for the killing of guy, was fucking surreal. That sums up how they think they have done nothing wrong. Just a crazy insight on the thought process of killers. And how fucked up humans can truly be.

It is frustrating and sad that none of them will ever get punished for their crimes.

Top Bottom