• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This was the reason why I ever checked out the movie tbh. Frankly I bet seeing Paul Walker in not a lot of clothing and Alba was the only reason any person ever checked out this movie.

Pretty much. I remember when this movie came out, I was a teen with a major crush on Alba. First day for this movie. I haven't seen it since then so I would want to revisit it to see how bad it is.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are crazy - the Aziz Ansari standup was hilarious. I've watched it several times now.

I saw In Bruges and Amelie with the girlfriend this weekend. Both really good, quirky movies. Amelie started to drag towards the end as it's a 2-hour movie but all in all we enjoyed them both.

Any suggestions for movies I might enjoy if I liked those?

SuperPac

I got about 20 minutes into the Aziz Asari standup.
It was that bad.
I've never, ever -- EVER -- seen a comic bad that badly in front of a coached audience. Jesus.

Yeah. I'd liked his previous special a lot, but this one started out badly. As someone who now has kids when he started on the opening tirade about that it just totally turned me off - he stayed on that too long. I get that people don't like screaming children (hey, me neither!) but c'mon.

Have you seen the Kristen Schaal special from last year (not on Netflix)? She does it on purpose and it's brilliant.

I didn't like the first Aziz special I saw so won't be watching him again. I like his character on Parks but basing an entire routine on being childish and shallow is just... not for me.

Good stand up though - Mike Birbiglia: My Girlfriend's Boyfriend is fantastic. Pretty storyteller-ish style but genuinely funny and full of heart. He has a great control over the pacing and emotion in the story, some bits land super hard.

Seriously! It is brilliant and hilarious and heart wrenching all at once.

I'm in the middle of S1 and I started feeling that way. Should I keep going?

Once you get to
the cult being at the mansion with Joe and Claire there
it kind of gets better for a bit. There is some character progression in the last few episodes. I would finish it if you have nothing better to do. If you have other options I'd probably choose them.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Into The Blue is a freaking masterpiece.

buy it on bluray
Isn't this one of the movies that was part of a "get six free Blu-Ray discs" deal when the PS3 first came out? Pretty sure it's the first BD movie I watched on my PS3 when I got it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Once you get to
the cult being at the mansion with Joe and Claire there
it kind of gets better for a bit. There is some character progression in the last few episodes. I would finish it if you have nothing better to do. If you have other options I'd probably choose them.

That is where I'm currently at. I have enjoyed it a bit more since they have gotten to that point. I like the premise of the show, but too much hinges on the
fact that this dude's plan succeeds 9.5 out of 10 times.

You guys are crazy - the Aziz Ansari standup was hilarious. I've watched it several times now.

I saw In Bruges and Amelie with the girlfriend this weekend. Both really good, quirky movies. Amelie started to drag towards the end as it's a 2-hour movie but all in all we enjoyed them both.

Any suggestions for movies I might enjoy if I liked those?
Seven Psychopaths for sure. Same director as In Bruges.

I got about 20 minutes into the Aziz Asari standup.
It was that bad.
I've never, ever -- EVER -- seen a comic bad that badly in front of a coached audience. Jesus.

Do you mean in terms of laughs? If he was trying to kill with a punchline every minute, I can maybe see this criticism making sense. It's obvious he's trying to become more of a social commentary guy like Rock and CK though. He's nowhere near that level yet, but I think it's good he's not coasting on his initial persona and P&R fame, as he easily could.

That is where I'm currently at. I have enjoyed it a bit more since they have gotten to that point. I like the premise of the show, but too much hinges on the
fact that this dude's plan succeeds 9.5 out of 10 times.

Yeah, that is quite annoying...I officially gave up on it last night, had to choose between it, Being Human, and the Pens game. I found out then how much I liked those two series...lol.

You might as well finish season one now, you're in the home stretch.
Plus things don't always go as planned...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Do you mean in terms of laughs? If he was trying to kill with a punchline every minute, I can maybe see this criticism making sense. It's obvious he's trying to become more of a social commentary guy like Rock and CK though. He's nowhere near that level yet, but I think it's good he's not coasting on his initial persona and P&R fame, as he easily could.

No, I really meant there were visible moments where he was expecting a bigger reaction, didn't get it, and moved on. That it was in an obviously friendly audience and they could edit in reaction shots and I was still able to catch it says a lot, IMO.

But for reals it was just bad. Didn't offend me (enough), didn't make me uncomfortable (enough), didn't make me laugh, or cry. Just kinda boring with a super shallow skillset. Dane Cook is vastly more entertaining, and he's the Aerosmith of comedy.

Vyer

Finally getting around to finishing Orange is the New Black. Had only watched the premiere. About five episodes in so far. Really, really good. Only problem I have is I can't separate Biggs from his American Pie character.
though I guess the show is ok with that?

Still, I know they haven't all been hits, but Netflix Originals has been pretty impressive for me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Argento's Dracula (Horror, Foreign)
Dark Touch (Horror, Supernatural)
Day of the Dead (Horror, Zombie)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Phantom Planet (TV, Comedy, SciFi)
Nightmare Factory (Documentary, Hollywood/Make up)
Pageant (Documentary, Social, Gay & Lesbian)
Question One (Documentary, Social/Gay Marriage)
Revelation Road 2 (Action)
WWE: Triple H: Thy Kingdom Come (Documentary, Sports)

Kaladin

WWE: Triple H: Thy Kingdom Come is an interesting doc. It continue's WWE's recent run of great documentaries, but it is made at a time when Triple H is starting to come into his role of taking over the day to day operations of the company, and that does affect the interviews IMO.

The best thing about this is you get some new insight on his relationship with Stephanie. You've heard about it from other people, but you've never got the real story from them.

I saw Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain. The first 15 minutes is just ego stroking. It wasn't that great.

Yeah I could take only about 20 minutes of Kevin Hart's ego stroking - he's trying to come off as conflicted but he's not. Aziz Asari was just boring - I lasted about 10 minutes. I totally expected more from Aziz.

BFIB

WWE: Triple H: Thy Kingdom Come is an interesting doc. It continue's WWE's recent run of great documentaries, but it is made at a time when Triple H is starting to come into his role of taking over the day to day operations of the company, and that does affect the interviews IMO.

The best thing about this is you get some new insight on his relationship with Stephanie. You've heard about it from other people, but you've never got the real story from them.

I like how they directly address it. And I never thought about what he brought up, regarding how he wasn't sure if a relationship with Stephanie would work, but he was willing to put it all on the line.

Pretty good insight.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

The Croods (Animation, Family)

Canada:

The Croods (Animation, Family)

Sweden:

Bio-Dome (Comedy)
Deadly Impact (Crime, Thriller)
La Cage aux Folles (Comedy, Foreign)
Men at Work (Comedy)
Nicholas Nickleby (Drama)
The King of the Streets (Action, Thriller, Martial Arts, Foreign)

Mexico:

Anger Management (TV, Comedy)

Finland:

Barbershop (Comedy)
Bio-Dome (Comedy)
Dead Like Me: Life After Death (Comedy)
Deadly Impact (Crime, Thriller)
La Cage aux Folles (Comedy, Foreign)
Men at Work (Comedy)
Red Dawn ('84, Action)
The King of the Streets (Action, Thriller, Martial Arts, Foreign)

UK:

The Good Wife Season 4 (TV, Drama)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
That was fast! Can't say I was hankering to see this, but I bet it's worth my 90 minutes.

Whoa! I know what I'm watching today!

Finished it. I thought it was a good movie. Nice mix of humor. The cast/voice acting was well done. Sometimes Cage's voice doesn't seem to fit the character for some reason. Where the movie really shines is the animation. It is top notch. Especially towards the end
with the explosions.
It looked downright amazing. The use of colors in the movie was fantastic. It is a very colorful film. It makes the beginning part look boring as fuck.

This isn't up there with HTTYD, Sherk or Kung Fu Panda, but it is a solid Dreamworks movie.

verbum

We have just added December data to the “Netflix ISP Speed Index,” our monthly update on which Internet Service Providers (ISPs) provide the best Netflix streaming experience during primetime.

Noteworthy in December:

Performance was up in all countries, except the US and Mexico. The US is now essentially at par with Ireland and slightly above Mexico in the bottom of the country-by-country averages.
In the US, Cablevision, Cox and Suddenlink continued to show performance increases, while Bright House and Comcast tumbled five spots and other ISPs such as Verizon and Time Warner Cable also showed slower averages compared to last month.
ISPs in The Netherlands continued to offer the best Netflix connectivity.
Virgin Media in the UK extended its lead, while Everything Everywhere replaced Talk Talk in the last spot on the UK ranking. There was no change in Ireland, where Magnet continues to lead.
No major changes in the Nordic region. Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Finland continue to show strong Netflix performance.
Megacable in Mexico increased its lead over the other ISPs, but there was no ranking change.

http://blog.netflix.com/

Damn, the USA is going backwards!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Finished it. I thought it was a good movie. Nice mix of humor. The cast/voice acting was well done. Sometimes Cage's voice doesn't seem to fit the character for some reason. Where the movie really shines is the animation. It is top notch. Especially towards the end
with the explosions.
It looked downright amazing. The use of colors in the movie was fantastic. It is a very colorful film. It makes the beginning part look boring as fuck.

This isn't up there with HTTYD, Sherk or Kung Fu Panda, but it is a solid Dreamworks movie.

I just finished it and I agree with everything you said. The movie is SUPER colorful and the animation is amazing. Just a beautiful film to behold. The story and characters are pretty standard but it's kind of hard to care because everything moves at such a fast pace. Definitely a fun ride.

Is it worth a watch?

I'd say so.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
http://blog.netflix.com/

Damn, the USA is going backwards!

Throttling in progress.

I just finished it and I agree with everything you said. The movie is SUPER colorful and the animation is amazing. Just a beautiful film to behold. The story and characters are pretty standard but it's kind of hard to care because everything moves at such a fast pace. Definitely a fun ride.

I forgot to mention, for as much as the character designs aren't anything to write home about, the design of the creatures (and the world) were extremely great. They knocked it out of the park on the animation side. The story might have been better if
Cage's character died at the end trying to save his family. I thought that was where the story was going honestly.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I forgot to mention, for as much as the character designs aren't anything to write home about, the design of the creatures (and the world) were extremely great. They knocked it out of the park on the animation side. The story might have been better if
Cage's character died at the end trying to save his family. I thought that was where the story was going honestly.

I agree. The world and animal designs reminded me a lot of Avatar, with four winged birds and bioluminescent flowers and whatnot. Really fantastic art direction (Croods aside - a shame considering how fucking amazing their concept art was). The final shot of the film was just breathtaking.

I also thought
for a second that the dad might die, but then I remembered I was watching a modern children's film where there are almost never any serious consequences and pretty much no one ever really dies, so I knew they would take a safer route. I do think the story would have been better if he had died though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I agree. The world and animal designs reminded me a lot of Avatar, with four winged birds and bioluminescent flowers and whatnot. Really fantastic art direction (Croods aside - a shame considering how fucking amazing their concept art was). The final shot of the film was just breathtaking.

I also thought
for a second that the dad might die, but then I remembered I was watching a modern children's film where there are almost never any serious consequences and pretty much no one ever really dies, so I knew they would take a safer route. I do think the story would have been better if he had died though.

The concept art is leagues ahead of the final design. They were so bland compared to the world they were in.

Kids these days are too babied. Lion King is a classic growing up and it involved two deaths. I would have even been happy if they had ended the movie wwith Cage in the cave painting his family, and the cave collapsing on him. But I'm probably nitpicking it too much.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm adding the "Upcoming list" back to the OP.

Upcoming in March:

Beethoven's 2nd
The Ice Storm
Kicking and Screaming
The Blair Witch Project
Silence of the Lambs
Arthur and the Invisibles
On The Line
The Bad News Bears ('76)
The Long, Hot Summer
Brokedown Palace
Summer's Moon
The Wood
True Grit ('69)
The Station Agent
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Roman Holidays
Below
The Long Goodbye
Harsh Times
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the 13th
Thieves Like Us
Dirty Dancing
Dirty Pretty Things
Vanilla Sky
Serpico
Over the Top
With a Friend Like Harry

jakncoke

Banned
Some interesting adds today, now that my Malcolm in the Middle marathon is over back to movies till season 2 of House of Cards, probably will watch s1 again before 2 for a refresher course.

About to watch Soldiers of Paint: Although Paintball interests me very little a reenactment of Normandy in a paintball battle seems interesting to me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
chhCIzv.jpg

So damn close. Netflix is trying to break up couples in the US.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Kids these days are too babied. Lion King is a classic growing up and it involved two deaths. I would have even been happy if they had ended the movie wwith Cage in the cave painting his family, and the cave collapsing on him. But I'm probably nitpicking it too much.

Yeah, kids these days! :p
But yeah I agree. Most kid's movies today are really tame compared to the stuff that was being made a few decades ago.

Top Bottom