• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

That scene is so fucked up. Having the "ghost" give the medal to the killer for killing him and sending him to heaven was twisted. That and all those men talking about raping 14 year old girls like it was the greatest thing in the world.

breakfuss

Just watched The Hunt. Hated it for all the right reasons (if that makes any sense). Good movie, but you may find yourself yelling at the screen.

I've been holding off on The Act of Killing but I guess I'll give it a go since you guys like it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
That scene is so fucked up. Having the "ghost" give the medal to the killer for killing him and sending him to heaven was twisted. That and all those men talking about raping 14 year old girls like it was the greatest thing in the world.

"It will be hell for you, but it will be like heaven on earth for me."

Disgusting.

Reminds me about the part where the guy talks about
shoving wood up a persons anus.
Put it in spoiler tags since this is pretty fucked up.

One thing that amazed me is how openly they can discuss the murders/killings like they were talking about the local sports game. Like the point in the doc where they were promoting the film at the news/talk show was mind blowing.

"It will be hell for you, but it will be like heaven on earth for me."

Disgusting.

Reminds me about the part where the guy talks about
shoving wood up a persons anus.
Put it in spoiler tags since this is pretty fucked up.

One thing that amazed me is how openly they can discuss the murders/killings like they were talking about the local sports game. Like the point in the doc where they were promoting the film at the news/talk show was mind blowing.

The talk show was ridiculous. That scene they were rehearsing the burning of the houses and the killings around the kids and they were all laughing, that was insane.
Anwar´s neighbor telling his tale and his reaction latter was heartbreaking. I also loved the contrast between Anwar´s visits to the rooftop in the beginning of the film and in the ending.
Joshua Oppenheimer has some balls, I don´t know if would have to courage he had to speak about war crimes in the car with that man.

Daria

Airplane, Sunset Blvd., and Harold and Maude are all required viewing.

Also, Queer as Folk US! Yass! I've been wanting to watch that for so long. I'm glad to see Showtime adding some of their older stuff to the service. I wish HBO would follow suit. (yeah right)

When did they add that?!

---

Recently I've been revising some of my favorites: CLERKS, DONNIE DARKO, ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND(do watch if it ever gets added back on).

Watched CAPTAIN AMERICA last night and I guess it was ok.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The talk show was ridiculous. That scene they were rehearsing the burning of the houses and the killings around the kids and they were all laughing, that was insane.
Anwar´s neighbor telling his tale and his reaction latter was heartbreaking. I also loved the contrast between Anwar´s visits to the rooftop in the beginning of the film and in the ending.
Joshua Oppenheimer has some balls, I don´t know if would have to courage he had to speak about war crimes in the car with that man.

It would be interesting to see the film. I wonder if it is on youtube somewhere. Anwar's neighbor story was pretty messed up. I don't know how the heck he handled that as a little kid. Probably not well since it looked like the still has scars from that day.

My favorite moment with Joshua was when Anwar was talking about how he know knew how his victims felt, at the moment they were being tortured. And Joshua said, no you don't, you knew this was all for a film, and they knew they were going to be killed. Balls of steel. Even if Anwar is a grandfather, I wouldn't dare fuck with him.

When did they add that?!

Feb 1st.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I noticed that Bride of Frankenstein and Apocalypse Now are expiring on February 1st. Don't know what else.

From my list:

Red Dawn ('84) This movie was just added too.
Hey Arnold! The Movie.
The Wild Thornberrys Movie
The Polar Express.
Red Violin.

From my list:

Red Dawn ('84) This movie was just added too.
Hey Arnold! The Movie.
The Wild Thornberrys Movie
The Polar Express.
Red Violin.

I'm positive it was only added to make people want to buy the new version but Netflix likely negotiated the crossover.

Just finished it. Great documentary. The moment in the doc when they are showing the film they were shooting, it was a scene by the waterfall, and the dude gives himself a medal for the killing of guy, was fucking surreal. That sums up how they think they have done nothing wrong. Just a crazy insight on the thought process of killers. And how fucked up humans can truly be.

It is frustrating and sad that none of them will ever get punished for their crimes.

I felt really conflicted. Anwar did terrible things and should have been punished for them, but he doesn't seem like a bad person and he's been tormented by what he's done his entire adult life. I think he was just a product of the political environment that he grew up in. I've never been more thankful to have been born in America or a developed country. A lot of the other killers seemed like human garbage, but Anwar just seemed different.

The part with the guy telling his story about his step-father's killing was the most heartbreaking part. It's such a great idea for a documentary, having them make a film. It's just really incredible.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I felt really conflicted. Anwar did terrible things and should have been punished for them, but he doesn't seem like a bad person and he's been tormented by what he's done his entire adult life. I think he was just a product of the political environment that he grew up in. I've never been more thankful to have been born in America or a developed country. A lot of the other killers seemed like human garbage, but Anwar just seemed different.

The part with the guy telling his story about his step-father's killing was the most heartbreaking part. It's such a great idea for a documentary, having them make a film. It's just really incredible.

I know what you mean, because under any other circumstances, Anwar is a likeable guy. At the beginning of the doc, Anwar comes off as a charming individual. Him and his buddy (I forgot his name, the one that was dressing up as a woman half the time) have a great friendship and if you didn't know anything about them, you would probably like them.

I do agree that he is a by product of his environment. He shows a bit of compassion and he tries to instill that little bit into his grandsons after one of them broke the little duck's leg. My initial reaction is how can he care so much about the ducks leg when he has killed hundreds of people. But after letting the doc stink in a bit, I think it shows there is a human being still left in him.

Almost all come off as human garbage. From the dude talking about hitting the jack pot on 14 year old girls, to the dude that showed zero remorse for what he had done. The guy that was talking about wanting to go to court so he can be famous. Not being afraid of going to court because he knows he won't be convicted.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I noticed that Bride of Frankenstein and Apocalypse Now are expiring on February 1st. Don't know what else.
Big Top Pee-Wee and Sudden Death are the only ones on my list.

Anyone in the US considering watching Man of Tai Chi, just a heads up.. the Mandarin/Cantonese (I don't know which dialect it is) isn't translated automatically. You have to go to set it to English subtitles but more importantly you have to set it to the English subtitles that are not labeled "[CC]."

If you choose "English [CC]" it will subtitle everything except the Mandarin/Cantonese.

Edit: Finished Man of Tai Chi. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's hard to explain it but I definitely got vibes of old school Golden Harvest films in terms of the plot line and the fights but with the updated style of some of the more modern Chinese action films. Keanu as a director does fairly well. His choices resulted in a mixed bag of some good shots, some shots that leave a bit to be desired and the occasional great shot. For people who've seen films like the Ong Bak series, Merantau, and The Raid.. the action shots will feel dated. If Keanu were to take some tips from the films listed, he could end up with some really top notch fight scenes. As it is though, they just don't match the intensity and precision of the best of the best MA movies today.

Just finished watching Stuck in Love. Yeah, sort of formulaic and predictable, but very touching and nice acting all around with a great looking cast. Huge thumbs up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I started season two of An Idiot Aboard. I was fearing that the concept might become stale, but having season two be about bucket list items is genius. Love that concept more than having him travel.

Daria

I watched THE NEW GUY for the first time in a while and I enjoyed it for the most part. A classic high school comedy from the early 2000's.

Symphonia

Banned
Loved the ending.
The ending was great in a really bittersweet way but, man, you just can't help but feel really sorry for the guy.
Went through hell and highwater to try and protect his son as best he could but ultimately accepted that there's no hope for any of them and put a round in his son's head, as well as his 'companions', only for the goddamn US army to come trundling past two seconds later
. Dem feels, man.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The ending was great in a really bittersweet way but, man, you just can't help but feel really sorry for the guy.
Went through hell and highwater to try and protect his son as best he could but ultimately accepted that there's no hope for any of them and put a round in his son's head, as well as his 'companions', only for the goddamn US army to come trundling past two seconds later
. Dem feels, man.

I agree about them feels, but I love it since it came out of left field. Wasn't expecting that at all lol. Plus they didn't play it safe.

Eliza Dushku's finest role.

Amen.

Symphonia

Banned
Anyone know of a site with a list of DNS codes by country. I wanna put Canadian Netflix on my PS3.
Use Unblock-US. It's only $4.99/month and you get access to the Canadian Netflix, as well as many others, all of which can be switched without altering the DNS settings on your PS3, bar the initial set up. Totally worth the small fee every month.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The Following is like really really bad after the first few episodes. Potentially so bad its good territory. Imagining yackety sax playing while law enforcement bumbles around on this show. Gotta finish it lol

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Following is like really really bad after the first few episodes. Potentially so bad its good territory. Imagining yackety sax playing while law enforcement bumbles around on this show. Gotta finish it lol

I kinda like it. Even if the
surprise, person X was a cult member and now you have to go back to square one
starts to wear out its welcome.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I kinda like it. Even if the
surprise, person X was a cult member and now you have to go back to square one
starts to wear out its welcome.

Yeah the
everyone is a mole is kind of getting ridiculous
. I'm enjoying it as a turn off your brain kind of show.

moocow

Anyone in the US considering watching Man of Tai Chi, just a heads up.. the Mandarin/Cantonese (I don't know which dialect it is) isn't translated automatically. You have to go to set it to English subtitles but more importantly you have to set it to the English subtitles that are not labeled "[CC]."

About 40 minutes into the movie the sounds started progressing faster than the actual movie. Now I think they video is delayed 10-15 seconds from the movie, and it made it unwatchable.
Did that happen to you? Cause this is the first time I have had that happen on Netflix.

I was actually enjoying it too.

About 40 minutes into the movie the sounds started progressing faster than the actual movie. Now I think they video is delayed 10-15 seconds from the movie, and it made it unwatchable.
Did that happen to you? Cause this is the first time I have had that happen on Netflix.

I was actually enjoying it too.

The didn't happen to me but it's been a common problem with Netflix lately judging by others posts in this thread. I have no idea what could be causing it or how to fix it. I can say though that when I watch Man of Tai Chi, it was after 12am EST. Maybe less people using Netflix? Should matter but I have no knowledge on how the streaming tech works.

moocow

The didn't happen to me but it's been a common problem with Netflix lately judging by others posts in this thread. I have no idea what could be causing it or how to fix it. I can say though that when I watch Man of Tai Chi, it was after 12am EST. Maybe less people using Netflix? Should matter but I have no knowledge on how the streaming tech works.

Thanks, I didn't realize this was a common problem with other movies. I'll probably just try to watch it again at some other time.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I got about 20 minutes into the Aziz Asari standup.
It was that bad.
I've never, ever -- EVER -- seen a comic bad that badly in front of a coached audience. Jesus.

NH Apache

Banned
Thanks, I didn't realize this was a common problem with other movies. I'll probably just try to watch it again at some other time.
This has been happening to me on chromecast. Skipping back 10 seconds seems to solve it temporarily.

As for the movie, I sat there yesterday figuring that it was an interesting artistic choice to not subtitle the Chinese until35 minutes in I figured I was missing a lot and switched English subs on. OK to good movie I thought.

Edit: been watching lillihammer and 4 EPs in. Meh. Not a fan of the actor. I think his head is sunken into his chest too much; Also, way too one dimensional.

ToxicAdam

It was that bad.
I've never, ever -- EVER -- seen a comic bad that badly in front of a coached audience. Jesus.

Yea, I lasted about 10 minutes. I just don't like his stand up, even though I like him as a guest on talk shows.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It was that bad.

It doesn't get better after the first 20 minutes...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Watched Raging Bull for the first time this weekend. Was very good. Not entirely what I was expecting at all but very good. That one shot of Sugar Ray Robinson at the end was fucking stunning, one of the greatest shots in all of cinema IMO.

I thought that it made a good companion piece to The Wrestler. Very simialr themes with different approaches. I actually thought that Rourke was way more sympathetic than De Niro. La Motta was quite the shithead.

The first few episodes of Battlestar Galactica season 3 are incredible! Hot damn!

Yeah. The show doesn't start to fall apart until the last 2-3 episodes of S3.

Don't listen to the bitter BSG fans, it's good all the way through, especially if you've going quick through it. I loved S4 myself.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It was that bad.

Have you seen the Kristen Schaal special from last year (not on Netflix)? She does it on purpose and it's brilliant.

I didn't like the first Aziz special I saw so won't be watching him again. I like his character on Parks but basing an entire routine on being childish and shallow is just... not for me.

Good stand up though - Mike Birbiglia: My Girlfriend's Boyfriend is fantastic. Pretty storyteller-ish style but genuinely funny and full of heart. He has a great control over the pacing and emotion in the story, some bits land super hard.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Adventures in the Sin Bin (Indie, Comedy)
Cash Crop (Documentary, Cultural)

Canada:

Into the Blue (Crime, Thriller)

Top Bottom