• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Plan was a direct to video movie put out after the series ended, but you are not missing much if you dont see it.

So where does The Plan fit in, chronologically? Does it take place after the series ends or is it an interquel? I didn't google it because I just finished the third season and I'm afraid of being spoiled on the final season.

Miragith

I was watching it before I fell asleep (was tired) and was enjoying it up to that point (little more than halfway through). Mostly for the fight scenes. What's bad about it?

I felt the acting was really all over the place, story was bland, and the flight scenes were just okay, nothing too exciting.

So where does The Plan fit in, chronologically? Does it take place after the series ends or is it an interquel? I didn't google it because I just finished the third season and I'm afraid of being spoiled on the final season.
It takes place before the mini series and up to near the end of season 2. But it does assume you know how things end and who the final five Cylons are, if I remember correctly. I only watched it once years ago.

Chairhome

Watched Man of Tai Chi, it was bad.

I agree. The acting is bad, the plot is throwaway and the action is kind of bland (the wirework that they use stands out because it looks so out of place). Nice cameo for a great martial artist star at the end, but they barely use him.

jred2k

Ugh, I tried watching 21 & Over the other night. I couldn't make it past the first 15 minutes or so of the movie. I can't remember the characters name, but the dude who talked for about the first 15 minutes straight annoyed the piss out of me. It came off like a really try hard version of Superbad, but they didn't realize Superbad was just funny because they swore. I don't know if it eventually got better, but I couldn't stand to find out.

I ended up watching Texas Chainsaw instead. It ended up being dumber than I even expected, and it felt really inconsistent. I can't tell if the movie was trying to say something about the morality of killing the killer in horror movies or if it was just really poorly written. The majority of the movie kind of sways me to go with the latter. I don't want to say to much and spoil it, but the movie does about as much as it can to make every character come off as completely immoral.
A sheriff that does nothing to prosecute a group of vigilantes and then turns a blind eye to a serial killer murdering the mayor because he was part of the group of vigilantes the sheriff did nothing about? The side story of Heather's boyfriend and best friend fucking was completely inconsequential too. It wasn't like she even noticed that they were half naked and in a barn and they got in a crash about 4 minutes later.

Get the Gringo was awesome. Gritty action flick and Mel Gibson is fun as ever.

Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters was better than I expected it to be. I didn't realize it was rated R, so lots of "fucks," plenty of gore and even some boobies were able to spice up an otherwise mediocre story. And Gemma Arterton is beautiful.

Recently watched Dark Touch. It's got a decent Carrie/Firestarter vibe going for it. It can be a bit confusing but, it's got some good creepy elements.

The Iceman was good. A solid mob type movie.

Tried to watch After the Wedding (2006) with Mads Mikkelsen and didn't particularly like it. Shut it off halfway through. Just didn't enjoy the cinematography and found it kinda boring. Surprised considering how highly it was reviewed all around.

The Silence (2010) Pretty good German thriller/mystery. Not exactly a pleasant movie subject-wise, but it hardly showed much violence. Mostly just really uncomfortable and creepy. Overall a quality movie that was well shot and full of tension.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Any word on how Come Fly With Me is? It looks like the Little Britain guys are in it.

This looks interesting. Quick six episodes to boot. I will check it out.

Watched Cowboys vs Aliens (Canada). I guess since I was expecting hot garbage, I actually enjoyed it. It was a decent action/popcorn flick. The plot is predictable (especially the "twist"). The special effects were well done. The cast is good. Ford just plays a grumpy old man in this though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The prequel stuff is the best stuff in it. But overall, it is just kinda meh.

I just watched Razor today and I'd say the same thing applies to that as well. The flashback stuff with Michelle Forbes was really good, but the "present day" parts were very underwhelming and felt a bit retcon-y to me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Mighty Ducks (Canada): Still a classic. I haven't watched this movie since my childhood, but it still holds up well. The jokes are funny and the chemistry between the cast is great to see. The only thing that doesn't hold up are their outfits. Bad fashion all around.

Going to watch the second one tomorrow before digging into HoC again.

jakncoke

Banned
Ugh, I tried watching 21 & Over the other night. I couldn't make it past the first 15 minutes or so of the movie. I can't remember the characters name, but the dude who talked for about the first 15 minutes straight annoyed the piss out of me. It came off like a really try hard version of Superbad, but they didn't realize Superbad was just funny because they swore. I don't know if it eventually got better, but I couldn't stand to find out.

I found 21& Over to be pretty funny, I think its funny how Jon Lucas chose this as his director debut though. He was the writer for the hangover movies and 21&over is pretty much a clone to them, would think he would want to try something else but maybe thats all hes got?

BFIB

It's great on PC. I use it. That's the only place I watch Netflix so I have no need for Unblock-US anymore.

Hmmm...I've been interested in seeing what other regions have to offer. Plus I'll be needing a way to access my local team for MLB once the season starts without blackout restrictions. I was planning on going Un-Block US, but I'll give this a shot.

Thanks for bringing this up!

EDIT: nevermind, I see its not available for tablets and other consoles yet. But for my PC during the day, this is perfect.

Watched Texas Chainsaw (2013). Pretty poor movie overall. Usually I can excuse this in a slasher movie except this movie didnt have enough slashing to make up for the terrible story.

I said this after watching Bereavement and I will say it again, Alexandra Daddario's tits are ridiculous. Just mesmerizing. I dont usually have this problem but I could hardly concentrate on the movie when she was on screen. Maybe the best tits in Hollywood history.

Good news is that she has done a full nude scene now so I wasnt left frustrated and confused after watching Texas Chainsaw like I was after watching Bereavement.

jakncoke

Banned
I know this is probably all old hat to you guys, but having recently discovered this. It fascinating. How many change the agid number in the browser to random very specific groups and see what they got out there ? Doing this also has shown me how horrendous netflix is at advertising their entire library, no wonder people think there is no movies on here when you got to jump through hoops to uncover gems

example agid 5589 is Violent Foreign Crime Movies from the 1970s

agid 331 is Horror Movies starring Klaus Kinski

I know this is probably all old hat to you guys, but having recently discovered this. It fascinating. How many change the agid number in the browser to random very specific groups and see what they got out there ? Doing this also has shown me how horrendous netflix is at advertising their entire library, no wonder people think there is no movies on here when you got to jump through hoops to uncover gems

Well thanks for that. You have now ruined my day as I randomly type in numbers to see what I find.

I do like how 666 is Dark British Independent Movies.

406 = Dramas starring Christina Ricci

Draconian

I decided to wait and watch the last season of Breaking Bad until the second half of the last season goes up later this month. It's been an amazing trip so far, and I can't wait to see how this all ends.

I decided to wait and watch the last season of Breaking Bad until the second half of the last season goes up later this month. It's been an amazing trip so far, and I can't wait to see how this all ends.
I'm so happy for you! Second half of Breaking Bad S5 is amazing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Adore (Indie, Drama)
Alyce Kills (Horror, Slasher)
Bad Parents (Indie, Comedy)
Brother Bear (Theatrical Widescreen Version, Family)
Nobody's Fool (Drama)
Nuit #1 (Indie, Drama, Romantic)
Suddenly (Action, Crime)
The Fabulous Ice Age (Documentary, Sports)
The History of the WWE (Documentary, Sports)
Zombie Night (Horror, Zombie)

jred2k

Lol, Suddenly is an Uwe Boll movie.

Its really sad to look at Ray Liotta's career. He went from Goodfellas to now doing pretty much only straight-to-home-video shit. Its only a matter of time until he's in a SyFy channel movie.

Michael Madsen is probably the worst example of the same sort of career trajectory.

Lol, Suddenly is an Uwe Boll movie.

Its really sad to look at Ray Liotta's career. He went from Goodfellas to now doing pretty much only straight-to-home-video shit. Its only a matter of time until he's in a SyFy channel movie.

Michael Madsen is probably the worst example of the same sort of career trajectory.

For a phenomenal Liotta movie on Netflix watch Narc.

Symphonia

Banned
My wife and I watched the Croods and found it highly enjoyable. A very fun movie.
Yeah, I sat down and watched it with my daughter the other night and I found it surprisingly brilliant. The trailer really didn't do it justice.

Awh, man, you're going to love it.

jred2k

For a phenomenal Liotta movie on Netflix watch Narc.

Actually, I just watched that a few week ago and really enjoyed it. I watched Heartbreakers, too, yesterday based on the recommendation in this thread. Liotta is so good at a range of roles so it sucks to see his talents wasted on a Uwe Boll movie.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Tower Heist (Canada): Terrible. Great cast, but what a letdown. The film isn't funny. And there isn't enough action. Boring during the first half of the movie. Don't waste your time.

jakncoke

Banned
We've been able to share what we view to our FB friends for awhile now, but at what point are they going to create a system for people to share their viewing with friends/people of the internet that they dont want to exactly be FB friends with? Would be neat to get a GAF viewing group going, see what everyone is watching. I know personally I only mention a fraction of what I actually view on Netflix.

Mastadon

Banned

Well thanks for that. You have now ruined my day as I randomly type in numbers to see what I find.

I do like how 666 is Dark British Independent Movies.

406 = Dramas starring Christina Ricci

Oh wow this is great, I had no idea about this. I've just done 0-25 for UK Netflix and got the following results:

1 – African American Crime Documentaries
2 – Scary Cult Films from the 1980’s
4 – Tearjerkers from the 1970’s
5 – Gay and Lesbian Psychological Moves
7 – Showbiz films based on real life
11 – Military Dramas
15 – British Independent Suspense films
16 – Understated Biographical documentaries
19 – Goofy Movies starring John Candy
24 – Eastern European Crime Dramas

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
We've been able to share what we view to our FB friends for awhile now, but at what point are they going to create a system for people to share their viewing with friends/people of the internet that they dont want to exactly be FB friends with? Would be neat to get a GAF viewing group going, see what everyone is watching. I know personally I only mention a fraction of what I actually view on Netflix.

I have been waiting and hoping for something like this. Even something where you could see (and only see) reviews by your friends/groups.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Their friends system did exactly this, but it was removed years ago.

BFIB

Finally started watching Dexter and it's so good. Tore through season 1 in two days, and now I'm almost finished season 2.

I'm usually one for not giving up, but I would highly recommend watching through Season 4, then call it quits. Its quickly being regarded as one of the worst finale's ever to be done, and with good reason.

The first 4 seasons are top notch however, but after the 4th season, the main show runner and two of the main writers move on from the show, and everything suffers because of it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Their friends system did exactly this, but it was removed years ago.
Yeah, I don't really know why they got rid of it (under-used, I'd guess), but that was around the time they were making lots of bad decisions.

Draconian

Watched Fistful of Dollars for the first time last night. What a great fucking movie.

Have you seen the other two movies in the trilogy? Also, you might want to check out Yojimbo too, as a Fistful of Dollars is essentially a Yojimbo remake in a different setting. I'm glad you liked it. The "get three coffins ready" scene is a classic.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

30 for 30: The Price of Gold (Documentary, Sports)
House of Cards: Season 1 (Recap)
Filthy Gorgeous: The Bob Guccione Story (Documentary, Biographical)

Top Bottom