• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

The Croods was probably one of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time (animated or not). Great sense of adventure and a thoughtful tone. It had a nice sense of maturity to it that kept me emotionally engaged. And it was fun to look at with some damn creative designs. Highly recommend this one!

Wag

Watched Silver Linings, pretty good movie. Also noticed the original Battlestar Galactica TV series (1978) is now available in some regions in HD.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Chocolate Sundaes (Comedy Jam, Stand up)
Cottage Country (Comedy, Romantic)
The Pyramid Code (TV, Documentary, Science)

Canada:

Pain & Gain (Action, Comedy)
The Pyramid Code (TV, Documentary, Science)
Una Noche (Drama, Foreign)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Primates of the Seven Seas (Family, Comedy, Animation,Foreign)
Saving General Yang (Action, War, Foreign)
The Rooftop (Action, Romantic, Musical, Foreign)
The Seasoning House (Indie, Thriller)

Canada:

Luther: Series 3 (TV, Crime, Drama)
Saving General Yang (Action, War, Foreign)
Sightseers (Indie, Comedy)
The Hunt (Indie, Drama)
The Iron Lady (Drama)
The Rooftop (Action, Romantic, Musical, Foreign)
The Seasoning House (Indie, Thriller)

Watch Luther if you haven't. Series 3 was downright amazing.

LakeEarth

Whoo, Luther season 3!

Anyone have PS3 Netflix totally misorder the categories? It goes popular on facebook, then recently watched, then "because I watched" something, then comedy, then "because I watched" something twice, then My List, then suspenseful movies. No "New Releases" or "Recently Added" to be seen. Very strange.

statham

Yeah I loved it. Sorta reminded me of an 80s action movie in a way. And how awesome was Herzog. Any word if Cruise is gonna play Reacher again?
He is based on this book
nevergo__131209232256.jpg

They are doing a sequel but it´ll probably be after Tom Cruise has filmed MI5.
MI5 is 2015, so 2016 at the earliest.

Fox Mulder

Whoo, Luther season 3!

Anyone have PS3 Netflix totally misorder the categories? It goes popular on facebook, then recently watched, then "because I watched" something, then comedy, then "because I watched" something twice, then My List, then suspenseful movies. No "New Releases" or "Recently Added" to be seen. Very strange.

I don't have those either. Just a bunch of "because I watched" lists.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I was looking at my account and noticed that it says:

"Your remaining gift balance is $15.98."

What?

My late xmas gift to you.

Have you ever gotten a free month code? The free month are usually in the form of credit/gift on your account.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Noticed that Super 8 is expiring on the 18th.

Thanks for the heads up. Will have to give it a rewatch.

Last mid October I received a 6 month subscription as a gift...perhaps they don't apply the full amount all at once?

Yeah, what they do is credit you the balance for the month/6 months/year gift (in your case $48), and then every month charge your account as normal, but take the money from the remaining balance. It is flexible too in that you could add DVD's and it would take it from the balance.

For those of you who like documentaries, I highly recommend The Cave of Lost Dreams. It's about the discovery of the most pristine cave drawings that have ever been found, being perfectly preserved in a sealed off cave for more than 32,000 years. It is beautifully shot, and truly marvelous to behold the artistry of prehistoric man. Really can't say enough good things about it.

Apologies if it has been posted before.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, what they do is credit you the balance for the month/6 months/year gift (in your case $48), and then every month charge your account as normal, but take the money from the remaining balance. It is flexible too in that you could add DVD's and it would take it from the balance.

That makes sense. Thanks!

For those of you who like documentaries, I highly recommend The Cave of Lost Dreams. It's about the discovery of the most pristine cave drawings that have ever been found, being perfectly preserved in a sealed off cave for more than 32,000 years. It is beautifully shot, and truly marvelous to behold the artistry of prehistoric man. Really can't say enough good things about it.

Seconded. It's a marvelous film that everyone should see.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Sounds interesting. Added to my Q.

Any word on season three of luther making it to the US?

Not that I know of. Sign up for the week trail over at Unblock or sign up for Hola and stream it from Canada. It is a quick 4 or 5 episodes. Really damn good though. My favorite season thus far.

jakncoke

Banned

Werner Herzog is godly when it comes to making interesting documentaries. Right now on the USA side he also has

Happy People : A year in taiga
Encounters at the End of the World
Into the Abyss

All 3 are worth a check out.

jred2k

I'm on s2e11 of The Walking Dead and I think its finally starting to click with me.

If you were able to make it through everything leading up to the barn being opened, then you should enjoy the rest of the season. The second half has a much higher quality than the first, stuff(and thangs) actually happens.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If you were able to make it through everything leading up to the barn being opened, then you should enjoy the rest of the season. The second half has a much higher quality than the first, stuff(and thangs) actually happens.

Pretty much this. The second half is the saving grace. The ending will definitely make you jump into season three right away. S3 falls apart in the middle. And a certain character will annoy the shit out of you.

Pretty much this. The second half is the saving grace. The ending will definitely make you jump into season three right away. S3 falls apart in the middle. And a certain character will annoy the shit out of you.

Fucking Lori man. Her death was a welcomed event.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Dammit, I might need to rewatch House of Cards in anticipation for Season 2. Either that or watch the recap that Netflix put up.

I've stopped myself writing this twice already today so I'll say it now: do you really value your time so little that you'll spend 10 hours re-watching something you only saw a year ago? Is there not 10 hours of something you've never done or seen before?

Marathoning shows is one thing (also insane for different reasons - attention span deficits, devaluing of the episode format and the work that went into each part, whether sitting in place being passive for that long is good for the soul etc), but a marathon re-watch... my head spins...

So yeah, I'd say watch the recap if you need to :p

jakncoke

Banned
Marathon shows is the route to go, time release format is for dinosaurs so the fat cat can squeeze as much marketing dollars out of you. Thats why I love netflix so much, no more am I required to watch 9-16 minutes of commercials on products I'll never buy. As for the value of time, if it makes him or anyone happy then whats the problem? Isnt that the point of life doing things that make us happy?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Marathon shows is the route to go, time release format is for dinosaurs so the fat cat can squeeze as much marketing dollars out of you. Thats why I love netflix so much, no more am I required to watch 9-16 minutes of commercials on products I'll never buy. As for the value of time, if it makes him or anyone happy then whats the problem? Isnt that the point of life doing things that make us happy?

No, the point of life is judging people harshly and forcing them to defend their errant lifestyles. Are you new to the internets or summat?

Fully on board with the 'no ads' thing, am fully against marathons. I don't believe you can digest stories properly if you watch them for hours and hours at a time. You reach attention span saturation point, you won't remember what happened when. Small significant bits are lost in the melee.

It's like people who speedread. I don't believe you took that in, I want to test your comprehension, 80% score to pass.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Why read a book, listen to a song or play a game more than once. Waste of time right?

Book, yes very much a waste of time, they can take dozens of hours. If I spend 50 hours reading a book, that might take me a month and that's a month where I could have read a different book that I've never read before, a book that could have changed my life.

Game, 90% yes a total waste of time unless it's quite open/branching. Like, why would you ever replay a JRPG? Great the first time, but you're doing almost the same stuff on each playthrough. I almost replayed Chrono Trigger once, stopped myself very early in when I realised not only had I don't it all before but I could remember all the good bits quite clearly and forgotten all the tedious combat. Replayable games would be those with excellent mechanics that transcend the narrative (I'd replay the Halo games a lot), with branching stories or with very customisable experiences.

Songs, no because they're not a primary media, they don't require 100% attention at all times. Also, much shorter so there's a less significant investment of time.

I've thought about this carefully, you can't catch me out!

jakncoke

Banned
No, the point of life is judging people harshly and forcing them to defend their errant lifestyles. Are you new to the internets or summat?

Fully on board with the 'no ads' thing, am fully against marathons. I don't believe you can digest stories properly if you watch them for hours and hours at a time. You reach attention span saturation point, you won't remember what happened when. Small significant bits are lost in the melee.

It's like people who speedread. I don't believe you took that in, I want to test your comprehension, 80% score to pass.

Not sure I buy into this notion. Also lol errant lifestyles

NH Apache

Banned
Book, yes very much a waste of time, they can take dozens of hours. If I spend 50 hours reading a book, that might take me a month and that's a month where I could have read a different book that I've never read before, a book that could have changed my life.

Game, 90% yes a total waste of time unless it's quite open/branching. Like, why would you ever replay a JRPG? Great the first time, but you're doing almost the same stuff on each playthrough. I almost replayed Chrono Trigger once, stopped myself very early in when I realised not only had I don't it all before but I could remember all the good bits quite clearly and forgotten all the tedious combat. Replayable games would be those with excellent mechanics that transcend the narrative (I'd replay the Halo games a lot), with branching stories or with very customisable experiences.

Songs, no because they're not a primary media, they don't require 100% attention at all times. Also, much shorter so there's a less significant investment of time.

I've thought about this carefully, you can't catch me out!
I'm currently re-watching BSG with my wife (her first time).

I'd have to disagree. With watching a show with long interval, I tend to forget storylines or small plot devices. When I marathon, everything is fresh and fantastic. We are watching a couple eps at a time. Last night, we had both forgotten a certain thing and had to rewind (This term dates me) back to first season to see what it was.

One of the best marathons I did was Orange and Black. It is so fresh and when an episode ends on a cliff hangar, there is such satisfaction when you realize....I can fufill this need. Forcing yourself to stop early is like media blue balls.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think in terms of a series people find it especially helpful because they want to experience and understand them as a whole. By re-experiencing them, whether as a book series or television show, they refresh their memory to characters and events and overarching plots just before taking in the new material. That way threads are more easily tied together and understood, and patterns can be picked out more easily than if the memory was less foggy. Other people have no problem going in foggy and that is OK too. Just different preferences. It makes sense to me, even if they could be spending that time experiencing other things.

Also some people just enjoy revisiting media they've already experienced. It's like a tradition and scientifically speaking human learning and interpretation is heavily based on repetition since the moment we are born. We change as we age and I think that is why people can still derive pleasure from the same experience revisited many times, because they find something new to appreciate or have a different perspective as they grow older.

You'll never, ever, ever read or watch or play everything out there. I think if you can accept that, you can watch/play/read whatever you want without regrets.

Top Bottom