• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
As I just had to say over in the Comics thread - please understand my posts are 50% true meaning, 50% bluster, hyperbole and pisstaking.

I'm currently re-watching BSG with my wife (her first time).

I'd have to disagree. With watching a show with long interval, I tend to forget storylines or small plot devices. When I marathon, everything is fresh and fantastic. We are watching a couple eps at a time. Last night, we had both forgotten a certain thing and had to rewind (This term dates me) back to first season to see what it was.

One of the best marathons I did was Orange and Black. It is so fresh and when an episode ends on a cliff hangar, there is such satisfaction when you realize....I can fufill this need. Forcing yourself to stop early is like media blue balls.

Watching ep by ep week by week is more like edging, or tantric sex. I find I like a cliffhanger to really seep in and needle at my patience. I NEED it now but NO, I will deny myself, I will pinch my media-helmet and deny that second episode.

I think in terms of a series people find it especially helpful because they want to experience and understand them as a whole. By re-experiencing them, whether as a book series or television show, they refresh their memory to characters and events and overarching plots just before taking in the new material. That way threads are more easily tied together and understood, and patterns can be picked out more easily than if the memory was less foggy. Other people have no problem going in foggy and that is OK too. Just different preferences. It makes sense to me, even if they could be spending that time experiencing other things.

Also some people just enjoy revisiting media they've already experienced. It's like a tradition and scientifically speaking human learning and interpretation is heavily based on repetition since the moment we are born. We change as we age and I think that is why people can still derive pleasure from the same experience revisited many times, because they find something new to appreciate or have a different perspective as they grow older.

You'll never, ever, ever read or watch or play everything out there. I think if you can accept that, you can watch/play/read whatever you want without regrets.

I can understand re-watching a 2 hour film (even then...), but I really do see re-watching series as a massive waste of time. I will not tell a lie, there have been times when I've watched something again, sure. But hardly ever a full series (I got halfway through Buffy again and gave up, that was the last time I tried a few years back). There are so many series I've never seen. Do I re-watch BSG like Apache above, or do I watch The Sheild for the first time? Or the Sopranos, never saw that. Do I re-watch Game Of Thrones, or watch Rome and The Tudors? There is more media in existence than I'll ever find time to watch - I need to press on forwards. Never backwards!

Anyway, you guys do as you like. Just know - I'll be judging u

I'm currently re-watching BSG with my wife (her first time).

Speaking of BSG, I've never seen it, and my girlfriend is reluctant to watch it with me. Is it a good couples show? She's not really too into sci-fi but likes the recent Star Trek movies, that sort of thing. Will she be a tough convert?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Speaking of BSG, I've never seen it, and my girlfriend is reluctant to watch it with me. Is it a good couples show? She's not really too into sci-fi but likes the recent Star Trek movies, that sort of thing. Will she be a tough convert?

It's a great show. I don't know about for couples though, depends what your gf is into I guess. If she likes Good Things then she should be ok. If she doesn't DTMFA

NH Apache

Banned

My wife is thoroughly not a fan of scifi of any means. In fact, she doesn't like watching tv as she could be doing something productive.

But she really likes BSG. Good drama and great, strong female characters really helped her get into it.

Also, lol at media edging. Very good analogy.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've stopped myself writing this twice already today so I'll say it now: do you really value your time so little that you'll spend 10 hours re-watching something you only saw a year ago? Is there not 10 hours of something you've never done or seen before?

Marathoning shows is one thing (also insane for different reasons - attention span deficits, devaluing of the episode format and the work that went into each part, whether sitting in place being passive for that long is good for the soul etc), but a marathon re-watch... my head spins...

So yeah, I'd say watch the recap if you need to :p

Haha well then my annual Mad Men tradition will blow your mind.

Prior to every new season of Mad Men I rewatch all the previous available seasons of Mad Men. So at this point I have watched:

Season 1 six times
Season 2 five times
Season 3 four times
Season 4 three times
Season 5 two times
Season 6 one time

Season 7 is going to air starting in April I believe, so I plan to start rewatching the previous 6 seasons soon. Even with all this rewatching I still find scenes or lines that I have forgotten and that I view in a completely new context since I know what has happened since then. I also find that when I do this, watching the new season is a lot more entertaining because I still have most of the events throughout the entire series fresh in my head and can make connections and analogies much easier than I would be able to otherwise.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Haha well then my annual Mad Men tradition will blow your mind.

Prior to every new season of Mad Men I rewatch all the previous available seasons of Mad Men. So at this point I have watched:

Season 1 six times
Season 2 five times
Season 3 four times
Season 4 three times
Season 5 two times
Season 6 one time

Season 7 is going to air starting in April I believe, so I plan to start rewatching the previous 6 seasons soon. Even with all this rewatching I still find scenes or lines that I have forgotten and that I view in a completely new context since I know what has happened since then. I also find that when I do this, watching the new season is a lot more entertaining because I still have most of the events throughout the entire series fresh in my head and can make connections and analogies much easier than I would be able to otherwise.

Holy shiiiiiii -

Likewise I will blow your mind - I only just watched the season 5 opener after a gap of about three months because I couldn't justify the time to watch a double episode, I resented the timesink. It's funny too, because Madmen is one of those shows I would definitely never consider rewatching because I feel it's very much an enjoyable glossy soap opera but my feeling for it don't go much deeper, unlike something like The Wire which I would definitely re-watch because it's so dense.

I think we are both ill in our own ways, but yours is more debilitating!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shiiiiiii -

Likewise I will blow your mind - I only just watched the season 5 opener after a gap of about three months because I couldn't justify the time to watch a double episode, I resented the timesink. It's funny too, because Madmen is one of those shows I would definitely never consider rewatching because I feel it's very much an enjoyable glossy soap opera but my feeling for it don't go much deeper, unlike something like The Wire which I would definitely re-watch because it's so dense.

I think we are both ill in our own ways, but yours is more debilitating!

That's interesting. My opinion is that as long as you are enjoying the media experience you are watching, it's never a waste of time. True, there are many more series out there than I will ever find the time to watch, but as long as you're enjoying watching a certain series (even if you are rewatching episodes) then that's time well spent.

If a series starts to bore me then sure, I'll stop watching it. That, to me, is a waste of time. But rewatching Mad Men or Battlestar Galactice or House of Cards is something that gives me pleasure, so I am not averse to it.

S3 falls apart in the middle. And a certain character will annoy the shit out of you.

Is it the little kid? Cause I already hate him. He's such a little bitch.
He just wanders off into a zombie filled world by himself, finds a zombie, and voluntarily walks into its reach while pointing a gun at his head?
What an asshole.

I faded away somewhere in ep 3 or 4 in S3 for Walking Dead. The end of S2-start of S3 showed promise for a turnaround, but it went back to the same crap. I might go back but I always end up surfing the net while it's on.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is it the little kid? Cause I already hate him. He's such a little bitch.
He just wanders off into a zombie filled world by himself, finds a zombie, and voluntarily walks into its reach while pointing a gun at his head?
What an asshole.

It becomes somewhat better in S3.

I faded away somewhere in ep 3 or 4 in S3 for Walking Dead. The end of S2-start of S3 showed promise for a turnaround, but it went back to the same crap. I might go back but I always end up surfing the net while it's on.

The middle of S3 is a low point. I like what happens after the middle. Ending of S3 was great.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It had been a while since I browsed through my recommendations (for a while I've just been adding newly available titles), but I did so yesterday and ended up with like 30 new movies (that I will probably never have time to watch). I try to keep my queue conservative, so I don't add stuff that I'm not genuinely interested in, yet I still have over 250 items on it. I really don't get people who say "Netflix doesn't have anything good."

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Werner Herzog is godly when it comes to making interesting documentaries. Right now on the USA side he also has

Happy People : A year in taiga .

Fantastic documentary about the lives of Siberian trappers

Great recommendation. It was a fascinating documentary. I don't think I could survive a week doing what they do. Not only because of the cold, but the loneliness. I will say that one dude was a complete asshole for how he treated his dog. Making the poor animal run the entire fucking trip home made my blood boil.

Ninja 2 was really fun. Don't think I got bored once because the just zipped right along at a nice pace. Fights were enjoyable to watch and easy to follow. Nothing bugs me more than shaky cam and jerky shots during fight scenes, and this one had none of that. Probably liked it more than I was expecting to.

Kagey K

Banned
I can understand re-watching a 2 hour film (even then...), but I really do see re-watching series as a massive waste of time. I will not tell a lie, there have been times when I've watched something again, sure. But hardly ever a full series (I got halfway through Buffy again and gave up, that was the last time I tried a few years back). There are so many series I've never seen. Do I re-watch BSG like Apache above, or do I watch The Sheild for the first time? Or the Sopranos, never saw that. Do I re-watch Game Of Thrones, or watch Rome and The Tudors? There is more media in existence than I'll ever find time to watch - I need to press on forwards. Never backwards!

Anyway, you guys do as you like. Just know - I'll be judging u

Well for me personally, I am watching the entire Power Rangers from start to finish (I only watched the original MMPR) but am up to Zeo with my son. Re watching Malcolm in the Middle (saw the entire run) with my daughter so I can watch them both enjoy it, and watching Eureka with my g/f since we both didn't catch any of it.

There are many different reasons to watch previously viewed material, and what that is worth is up to the viewer.

Go ahead and judge if you must, I am getting time with my family one on one as well as what we watch or re watch as a family. If that means I am wasting my time then I am glad to waste it with them.

I get as much enjoyment watching my daughter laugh at Dewey as I did when I watched it back then, and to see my son feel for the green Ranger only for him to come back as White, he was as pumped as I was back then.

So if I am missing out or wasting my time, I am glad to do so, and I gladly would again.

Is it also a waste if I went back and played Mmpr the movie on my snes and Genesis with him after we watched the movie? It seems playing the same game would be as bad as watching the same movie.

I used the blind movie choice via max and it pulled out Safety Not Guaranteed.. I have to say that it was a decent pick. The movie was pretty entertaining.

Symphonia

Banned
I've found Max to be extremely hit and miss when it comes to suggesting random films. It asks me what my preferred genre of film is, asks me to rate a few films and then...suggests something completely different to the film(s) I picked and rated. I don't get it.

Such a weird movie, right? It was entertaining, and I like Duplasse and Plaza. Just...bizarre.

There was this weird but, interesting chemistry between the two of them. It was entertaining to watch. The side story with the journalist and the dork was entertaining as well. Overall I thought the movie was really good in that out there, quirky type of way.

jakncoke

Banned
I used the blind movie choice via max and it pulled out Safety Not Guaranteed.. I have to say that it was a decent pick. The movie was pretty entertaining.

ok wizard whats bolded. i put it into google and your post is the #1 result and i dont seem to see anything. im someone that sometimes will sift and debtate what to watch for 45 minutes+, something like bold might help me sometimes

the tree huts in pururambo was crazy

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
ok wizard whats bolded. i put it into google and your post is the #1 result and i dont seem to see anything. im someone that sometimes will sift and debtate what to watch for 45 minutes+, something like bold might help me sometimes

the tree huts in pururambo was crazy

What's this?

It is a feature on the playstation Netflix app. As far as I know, they haven't rolled it out to other devices/apps.

Video of it. Watch the video for a far better explanation, but it is a mix between a recommendation/spot light feature, with a robot personality asking you questions in the game show-ish type way.

It is a feature on the playstation Netflix app. As far as I know, they haven't rolled it out to other devices/apps.

Video of it. Watch the video for a far better explanation, but it is a mix between a recommendation/spot light feature, with a robot personality asking you questions in the game show-ish type way.

Ahhh ok, thanks.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bridezillas: Season 10 (TV, Reality)
Cloudburst (Drama, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
Danland (Documentary, Biographical/Dan Lear)
Haunter (Indie, Horror, Supernatural)
The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Action, SciFi, Foreign)
The Haunting of Helena (Horror, Supernatural, Foreign)
The Motivation (Documentary, Sports/Skateboarding)
The Network (Documentary, Cultural)
The Summit (Documentary)

Canada:

21 Jump Street (Action, Comedy)
Blackfish (Documentary, Nature, Cultural)
Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain (Stand up)
My Normal (Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
Syrup
The Motivation (Documentary, Sports/Skateboarding)
Were the World Mine (Comedy, Musical, Gay & Lesbian)

Season 2 is fucking fantastic - you really should get on that!

I have been trying to, but school has been getting in the way lol.

Well if you thought season one was stellar... cant wait to hear what you think of season 2.

I'm looking forward to it since gaffers here have praised it.

Kaladin

I've kind of stalled out on watching Chuck about midway through Season 4. It feels like they're running out of things to do with the series. I imagine the constant threat of being canceled doesn't help creativity either. I hope I'm able to see it through, I'm at least interested in what happens by the end of the show.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The one that didn't like House of Cards? Sounds like the right decision.
Hope you are doing OK though.

Lol yeah that one. We argued because I didn't want to skip gym time. Stupidness. Thanks dude. I'm doing fine though. I'm in college so I'm sure there are plenty of girls to help see me through these tough times lol.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Lol yeah that one. We argued because I didn't want to skip gym time. Stupidness. Thanks dude. I'm doing fine though. I'm in college so I'm sure there are plenty of girls to help see me through these tough times lol.
Too right, mate. That's the way to be.

They have variations of it as well. The movie I last watched it was just a quick guess at loading, no questions asked. Sometimes it'll ask one question and recommend 2. Other times it'll do the game show thing, which is the fall back.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sorry to hear that, man, but also Netflix and video games!

Thanks dude. I'm just glad it happen before valentines day. No money spent. I will hopefully be spending the day playing Titanfall beta and watching HoC.

Too right, mate. That's the way to be.

Amen to that.

Time to watch Double Team in your underwear with a fifth of scotch at your side.

Lol sounds like a great plan. Actually, I really need to watch that movie. Shame it is only available on Amazon. I don't really like their streaming player.

They have variations of it as well. The movie I last watched it was just a quick guess at loading, no questions asked. Sometimes it'll ask one question and recommend 2. Other times it'll do the game show thing, which is the fall back.

It looks like an interesting feature. And one I have been waiting for them to roll out everywhere. Do you find yourself using it often?

Kwixotik

I'm sure you've all heard of this one, as Netflix promotes its own releases. Also it has 100% on RT. Still, adding my own opinion. It was excellent. (If you don't know it, it follows protesters involved with the Egyptian Revolution from its beginning in 2011 to the summer of 2013.)

The_Square_Poster.jpg

It looks like an interesting feature. And one I have been waiting for them to roll out everywhere. Do you find yourself using it often?

I'd say occasionally, maybe 2 or 3 times a month. Whenever I'm in the mood to watch something but, really can't put my finger on a specific "thing" I use it.

Nyx

I'd say occasionally, maybe 2 or 3 times a month. Whenever I'm in the mood to watch something but, really can't put my finger on a specific "thing" I use it.

Same here, but it never ever worked. (always get shitty suggestions or movies I've already seen)

fenners

Star Wars Clone Wars (and the unseen last half season) coming to Netflix in March.

The entire series of Cartoon Network’s Emmy-winning The Clone Wars will land on the streaming service starting March 7, including the much-anticipated final episodes that never previously aired. The deal includes the director’s cuts of seasons 1 through 5, plus the 13 unreleased episodes from a sixth season, which have been dubbed “The Lost Missions.” Also in the package is the Star Wars: The Clone Wars feature film.

jakncoke

Banned
Clone Wars? I've got enough of a backlog of things to watch on Netflix as it is.

Even being a power user and watching 8+ hours of netflix a day, Ive concluded that I'll never successfully catch up. Because I'm always uncovering good docs/movies and even tv shows that I never knew existed on the platform because of Netflix inability to show its whole library in an efficient way.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Clone Wars is fucking awesome and I'm psyched they actually put it up for streaming. The Cartoon Network content has been few and far between since the original "just 1 season of everything" went up a year ago. Hoping they continue to expand their offerings but I have a feeling they are being stingy for a reason.

Top Bottom