• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Nizz

Had a little scare just now watching Fringe. I'm sitting here watching episode 20 of the fourth season and all of a sudden at a damn climactic moment the screen freezes. I then get a message saying Netflix is having trouble with this show and something to the effect of try again later.

My heart dropped thinking the rights to air the show had expired or something. Turns out my internet crapped out on me for a bit, whew! I'm so close to the end, two more eps of the fourth season then on to season five. Feels bittersweet though because...the ride will soon be over.

I can't believe I missed out on this show the first time around. Next on my list is Arrow, have heard good things about that show too. Plus it would be nice to be caught up a bit before the new season plus The Flash.

jakncoke

Banned
Via their Instagram: Trailer Park Boys season 8 is coming Sept 5th.

Awesome.

Edit: Really liking how Netflix seeminly no longer forgets you watched a thing when it cycles off and on. Last night I was looking for something I havent viewed on Netflix before and I was going to give Face/Off a watch but it seems I watched it on 12-11-12. Wonder what the max limit they'll keep those records on account now that they arent deleted your view history once it cycles off

Vyer

Wife and I watched The Switch last night. It's with Jason Bateman and Jennifer Aniston. I'm not real big on romantic comedies but I'm kinda surprised by how good it was. It's even got Jeff Goldblum stuck awkwardly in it and he kinda works.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Criminal Minds Season 7-9 (TV, Crime, Drama)
From Dusk Till Dawn Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Middle of Nowhere (Indide, Drama, Romantic)
Thanks for Sharing (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
The Unknown Known Season 1 (Documentary, Political)
When I Saw You (Drama, Foreign)

Salsa

as a non-american that understands english perfectly I still wish Netflix had more english subtitles

at least in my region they tend to just have spanish ones for most things, which I get, but I honestly rather have both audio and subtitles in english in case I miss something

seems like a weird omission

as a non-american that understands english perfectly I still wish Netflix had more english subtitles

at least in my region they tend to just have spanish ones for most things, which I get, but I honestly rather have both audio and subtitles in english in case I miss something

seems like a weird omission
I think subtitles are protected under licences so buying the English subtitles its cost prohibitive. Just use adfree time and watch stuff on the us, Canadian, irish or UK Netflix

Do anyone else get overwhelmed with the amount of TV shows on netflix?

I can't choose what to watch next so I seize up watch cartoons....

I've really learned to love 10-12 episode seasons though. I hate seeing a show like the xfiles and knowing there's 500 hours of the show. Network shows are too long

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

I've really learned to love 10-12 episode seasons though. I hate seeing a show like the xfiles and knowing there's 500 hours of the show. Network shows are too long
Definitely. I have so much stuff in my queue. I also keep putting off those network shows with long seasons. I don't know when I'll ever get around to FNL, Chuck, etc.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Dark Space (Action, SciFi)
Dhoom:3 (Action, Musical, Bollywood)
Happy Valley Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Noragami (Anime)
Serial Killer Culture (Documentary, Cultural)
The Dick Knost Show (Indie, Comedy)

Canada:

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (Indie, Romantic, Drama)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Yes! Even more so when you have a VPN. I'm trying my best to stick to, at most, two shows at any given time. Wrapping up Hell on Wheels and Happy Endings (great comedy btw, Canada).

I agree 100% on the second statement. I used to love 13-24 episodes seasons when I was watching through broadcast/cable. But now, I love 13 episode seasons.

Yes! Even more so when you have a VPN. I'm trying my best to stick to, at most, two shows at any given time. Wrapping up Hell on Wheels and Happy Endings (great comedy btw, Canada).

I agree 100% on the second statement. I used to love 13-24 episodes seasons when I was watching through broadcast/cable. But now, I love 13 episode seasons.

Yeah I have a VPN, and Amazon, and HBO Go, I'm overloaded.

I really want to watch agents of shield but can't be bothered i the show isn't that high quality (though still fun) to get my marvel fix but I need like a guide to say which are the shows that aren't just monster of the week episodes

I think I'm gonna stick to seasons and not binge watch whole shows like I did before. I just finished season one of the Wire and Homeland.

Also I really want to watch that show Utopia (UK Netflix) but I know HBO is remaking it and don't know how those remakes work, I really would love to watch Fintchers version (HBO), but I don't want to spoil myself. :(

Salsa

I think subtitles are protected under licences so buying the English subtitles its cost prohibitive. Just use adfree time and watch stuff on the us, Canadian, irish or UK Netflix

oh, yeah, I use Hola and it's great. Too bad it makes the whole thing obviously slower and I get some pretty terrible quality for the first minute of each show/movie

bud from film school directed an ep of From Dusk Till Dawn (Fede alvarez, same guy who did the Evil Dead remake), so I kinda have to watch it, heh

looking forward to it tho

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I really want to watch agents of shield but can't be bothered i the show isn't that high quality (though still fun) to get my marvel fix but I need like a guide to say which are the shows that aren't just monster of the week episodes

I think I'm gonna stick to seasons and not binge watch whole shows like I did before. I just finished season one of the Wire and Homeland.

Also I really want to watch that show Utopia (UK Netflix) but I know HBO is remaking it and don't know how those remakes work, I really would love to watch Fintchers version (HBO), but I don't want to spoil myself. :(

I have Amazon and Go as well. Go has been taking up my time as I have been watching Game of Thrones (finished all the seasons), True Detective, Silicon Valley, Broadwalk Empire (S1) and Eastbound & Down (S1).

I don't brother with Amazon since I hate their web interface and player.

I have Amazon and Go as well. Go has been taking up my time as I have been watching Game of Thrones (finished all the seasons), True Detective, Silicon Valley, Broadwalk Empire (S1) and Eastbound & Down (S1).

I don't brother with Amazon since I hate their web interface and player.

Yeah amazon sucks but I'm wanting to watch Veronica Mars and right now my chromcast isn't working properly so I have to use it to watch HBO.

I also love how they have batman, superman, and all the old Nickelodeon stuff. I just put it on some afternoon's while I'm doing work. That and comedy central. They need a autoplay feature and to revamp their interface. I think its so screwed up because they placed it on top of their existing paid service.

oh, yeah, I use Hola and it's great. Too bad it makes the whole thing obviously slower and I get some pretty terrible quality for the first minute of each show/movie

bud from film school directed an ep of From Dusk Till Dawn (Fede alvarez, same guy who did the Evil Dead remake), so I kinda have to watch it, heh

looking forward to it tho

adblock is worth it. its 2 bucks and you don't have to deal with the hola buffering. I was hesitant but I'm loving it.

Salsa

I've been watching so much US netflix that I didn't realize my local one already got the fifth season of Archer. nice

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I say this in the strongest possible terms: FUCK A UTOPIA REMAKE. It's a stunning show and remaking it would be entirely missing the point. It's beautifully shot and composed, just watch the original version. The only way you could spoil yourself is watching a diluted version of a very original and striking show.

Oh man, just thinking about it has upset me haha. "Skip Utopia and wait for the remake" what world is this??

Another question for Netflix addicts.

Is my memory bad or is it normal to kind of forget what happened on shows after a season? I just saw an ad for a show I watch and while I knew what the context was but I often have a really difficult time remembering small inicidents in shows until I start watching again.

I always pop in to the TV show threads and am amazed how many people remember so much. I feel like I'm the weird one out. Though its not like I forget, if I rewatch a show it all comes back. I chalk it up to having so many stories in my head.

amrod

Agents of Shield Season 1 is in high quality on Netflix Mexico... I'm watching it now :)

Addnan

Is my memory bad or is it normal to kind of forget what happened on shows after a season? I just saw an ad for a show I watch and while I knew what the context was but I often have a really difficult time remembering small inicidents in shows until I start watching again.

I always pop in to the TV show threads and am amazed how many people remember so much. I feel like I'm the weird one out. Though its not like I forget, if I rewatch a show it all comes back. I chalk it up to having so many stories in my head.

It happens. When you watch so many episodes you pretty much only remember the main overarching story line. The small things are forgotten unless it was especially memorable in some way,

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Nah, that happens to me all the time too. I can't for the life of me remember the small details of any given episode.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

A lot of it probably has to do with people getting into discussions about a newly aired episode for a week while waiting for the next.

I tend to marathon things. But I also probably don't analyze as I'm watching that much.

Repo Man

Long Way Around and Long Way Down ( havent seen the latter myself ) added to UK netflix recently. Been binging on this with the missus and forgot how good it is.

Those who dont know, its a documentary / travel show of sorts where Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman go around the world from London to New York on motorbikes, tackling some really tough roads and conditions, meeting people from different cultures and filming the whole thing. This show is an absolute must for anyone who likes travel programs and honest, true reality TV and none of that scripted nonsense.

Amazed how ahead of its time on social issues Veronica Mars seems to be so far. Can't believe this show came out in 2004

I keep thinking the father is Joss Whedon though

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

30 for 30: Hillsborough (TV, Documentary, Sports)
30 for 30: White, Blue and White (TV, Documentary, Sports)
Blue Rain (Indie, Thriller)
Foyle's War Season 7 (TV, Crime, Drama)
Go for Sisters (Indie, Thriller)
The Chef, the Actor, the Scoundrel (Action, Comedy, Foreign)

Oh rad, Criminal Minds S1-9.

Weird that the website only listed S7-9. Thanks for the correction.

Blue Ruin will be the next movie I watch. Thanks for mentioning it, it sounds great.

Also, I watched the documentary Particle Fever last week. It's about the search for the Higgs boson and the LHC at Cern. I know next to nothing about physics but it was a great documentary.

Added today:

30 for 30: Hillsborough (TV, Documentary, Sports)

30 for 30: White, Blue and White (TV, Documentary, Sports)
Blue Rain (Indie, Thriller)
Foyle's War Season 7 (TV, Crime, Drama)
Go for Sisters (Indie, Thriller)
The Chef, the Actor, the Scoundrel (Action, Comedy, Foreign)

Weird that the website only listed S7-9. Thanks for the correction.
This was already on under the 30 for 30 soccer story show.

Great doc but extremely raging inducing at the local response and coverup.

Is this show actually good?

I REALLY like it. It's a procedural, but very unique in that it's constantly varying it's setting, and a large variation in the type of murderers featured in each episode. The characters have great chemistry, as well. It's also fairly grounded, not insane like CSI. And there's like a billion episodes now.

If Mandy Patinkin gets to be a bit much, go ahead and skip ahead to the season where Joe Mantegna starts.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I watched my first Anime since I was a kid (Akira) and I'm willing to give it a netflix streaming chance. I watched Captain Harlock Space Pirate and it was stylish but not that good. Any recs?

Also I'm mid-watch in Vanilla Sky. I love it but the casting (Cameron Diaz, Jason Lee in particular) seem odd in retrospect. Cruise is fantastic. Cruz is beautiful.

Top Bottom