• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

JLG-

I watched my first Anime since I was a kid (Akira) and I'm willing to give it a netflix streaming chance. I watched Captain Harlock Space Pirate and it was stylish but not that good. Any recs?

Also I'm mid-watch in Vanilla Sky. I love it but the casting (Cameron Diaz, Jason Lee in particular) seem odd in retrospect. Cruise is fantastic. Cruz is beautiful.

Samurai Champloo
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Attack on Titan

My wife really digs it.. I find it too heavy handed with too much exposition. If it intrigues you, may as well give it a shot.

The show is about the cast. The murders...can get repetitive, but i surprisingly like watching the team work together. Everyone has a role on the team and they each play it well.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire I thought it was better than the first. Although, that isn't saying much. The chemistry is lacking between the two main stars. The supporting cast shines though. The movie doesn't spend enough time on some of the more interesting elements, which I thought was a shame (
the rebellion stuff or District 12/13).
The ending wasn't really an ending. Crap shoot on whether you would enjoy this movie.

Hell on Wheels Season 3: Good season. I didn't think it was better than the first two seasons. I guess its because it kinda fizzles out towards the end of the season. The show seems to have gone back to square one. The acting and characters are still great. As are the set pieces. If you haven't see the show, I recommend giving it a watch. For fans of the show, I think S3 will disappoint.

The Errol Morris Rumsfeld doc is on the US service. I think it's called 'Known Unknowns' or some variation on the famous quote. I loved Fog of War so gonna watch it probably tomorrow. Well report back

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire I thought it was better than the first. Although, that isn't saying much. The chemistry is lacking between the two main stars. The supporting cast shines though. The movie doesn't spend enough time on some of the more interesting elements, which I thought was a shame (
The ending wasn't really an ending. Crap shoot on whether you would enjoy this movie.
Sums up my feeling. But jlaw really does a great job but the peeta guy is pretty bad. She's the only reason I watch and not in a 'she's hot' way.

She's the only reason why these movies stand out from the other YA dreck like divergence and that new maze runner thing.

jakncoke

Banned
Too bad there isnt more America's Funniest Home Videos on Netflix, there is 5 38 minute episodes of It's tough being a kid and 5 38 min episodes of Animals with Attitude.

In other Jakncoke view news,

Spies of Mississippi was interesting

Mission Blue was decent

Hard Lessons was decent as well

Edit' Apparently have 13 eps of Kid Favorites as well, didnt show up on my instantwatcher search

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sums up my feeling. But jlaw really does a great job but the peeta guy is pretty bad. She's the only reason I watch and not in a 'she's hot' way.

She's the only reason why these movies stand out from the other YA dreck like divergence and that new maze runner thing.

I agree that Josh (Peeta) is bad, but I don't think Jennifer does that much of a better job. She comes off as stiff.

Too bad there isnt more America's Funniest Home Videos on Netflix, there is 5 38 minute episodes of It's tough being a kid and 5 38 min episodes of Animals with Attitude.

In other Jakncoke view news,

Spies of Mississippi was interesting

Mission Blue was decent

Hard Lessons was decent as well

Edit' Apparently have 13 eps of Kid Favorites as well, didnt show up on my instantwatcher search

Canada has one season of the regular show (America's Funniest Home Videos).

Vyer

The Errol Morris Rumsfeld doc is on the US service. I think it's called 'Known Unknowns' or some variation on the famous quote. I loved Fog of War so gonna watch it probably tomorrow. Well report back

Only got to watch the first half hour or so so far, but Unknown Known is already pretty interesting. Rumsfeld's demeanor and reasoning when confronted with Morris' questions is fascinating.

tj hazuki

I watched my first Anime since I was a kid (Akira) and I'm willing to give it a netflix streaming chance. I watched Captain Harlock Space Pirate and it was stylish but not that good. Any recs?

Also I'm mid-watch in Vanilla Sky. I love it but the casting (Cameron Diaz, Jason Lee in particular) seem odd in retrospect. Cruise is fantastic. Cruz is beautiful.
Sword Art Online. Its in japanese though. Watch the english dub on other sites

Sadly a lot of good anime on Netflix got removed over the years. It really is too bad that Gurran Legann, FLCL, Monster and others all got removed. If you can visit other

Right now there is:

Fullmetal Alchemist (Amazing! But many people prefer Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, I think both are incredible)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (however, the last 12 episodes are not up there)
Samurai Champloo

Things I haven't seen but have heard positive things about:

Welcome to the NHK
Death Note
Hunter X Hunter
Trigun
Noragami seems rated high for me but I don't know anything about that.

I've seen Attack on Titan and a lot of people seem crazy about it, so you might like it, but I consider it bad. Same for Sword Art Online but I've seen very little of that. And Kill La Kill I've also seen entirely but I didn't like it, it also has some fans though.

As someone who shunned anime for awhile until I got Netflix, I found these to be entertaining:

Attack on Titan
Samurai Champloo
Death Note
Knights of Sydonia

I finished those. I tried Kill La Kill, FMA Brotherhood, Soul Eater, Hunter X Hunter, Fate/Zero and Trigun but I couldn't keep going. I felt like an old man yelling at clouds watching those.

I'm curious about Psycho-Pass though, it's in my cue. Any good?

Hell on Wheels Season 3: Good season. I didn't think it was better than the first two seasons. I guess its because it kinda fizzles out towards the end of the season. The show seems to have gone back to square one. The acting and characters are still great. As are the set pieces. If you haven't see the show, I recommend giving it a watch. For fans of the show, I think S3 will disappoint.

The ending for Catching Fire was close to how the book ends as well.

I agree that season three of Hell on Wheels is the weakest. I'd like to see them wrap the show up in the next season or two, instead of dragging it out and making it ridiculous like most shows tend to do.

I'd argue that the story for The Hunger Games is better, from a book perspective, and that is the difference but, I can't deny I like Jennifer Lawrence either.

Anustart

I agree that Josh (Peeta) is bad, but I don't think Jennifer does that much of a better job. She comes off as stiff.

Canada has one season of the regular show (America's Funniest Home Videos).

Canada should make their own funny home videos, damn lazy layabouts.

jakncoke

Banned
Soberly watched the 2 seasons of Wicked Tuna the past 3-4 days, its decent for a reality show. Side thought I've always wondered about these type of reality shows, is why they basically all have the same format of episode. aka usually a leader board, usually have 1 on 1 interview talked time in after an event is shown be it either a confrontation or one the characters does something.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Thank you! Can't wait for TWD.

ABOUT A BOY (NBC)
Season 1 premieres on Netflix on 9/14
Season 2 premieres on Netflix on 10/14

BONES (FOX)
Seasons 1-8 now on Netflix
Season 9 premieres on Netflix on 9/16
Season 10 premieres on Fox on 9/25

CRIMINAL MINDS (CBS)
Seasons 1-9 now available on Netflix
Season 10 premieres on CBS on 10/1

NEW GIRL (FOX)
Seasons 1-2 available now on Netflix
Season 3 premieres on Netflix on 9/16
Season 4 premieres on Fox on 9/16

PARENTHOOD (NBC)
Seasons 1-5 available now on Netflix
Season 6 premieres on NBC on 9/25

PARKS AND RECREATION (NBC)
Season 6 premieres on Netflix on 9/26

ONCE UPON A TIME (ABC)
Season 3 available on Netflix on 8/29
Season 4 premieres on ABC on 9/28

PORTLANDIA (IFC)
Seasons 1-3 now on Netflix
Season 4 premieres on Netflix on 11/1

REVENGE (ABC)
Season 3 premieres on Netflix on 8/29

SCANDAL (ABC)
Season 4 premieres on ABC on 9/25

SUPERNATURAL (THE CW)
Seasons 1-8 available now on Netflix
Season 9 premieres on Netflix on 10/7
Season 10 premieres on Netflix on 10/7

THE ORIGINALS (The CW)
Season one premieres on Netflix on 10/7
Season two premieres on Netflix on 10/6

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (The CW)
Seasons 1-4 available now on Netflix
Season 5 premiering on Netflix on 10/2
Season 6 premiering on the CW on 10/2

THE WALKING DEAD (AMC)
Seasons 1-3 available now on Netflix
Season 4 premieres on Netflix on 9/29
Season 5 premieres on AMC on 10/12

PORTLANDIA (IFC)

qfiLW6E.gif

Thank you! Can't wait for TWD.

ABOUT A BOY (NBC)
Season 1 premieres on Netflix on 9/14
Season 2 premieres on Netflix on 10/14

BONES (FOX)
Seasons 1-8 now on Netflix
Season 9 premieres on Netflix on 9/16
Season 10 premieres on Fox on 9/25

CRIMINAL MINDS (CBS)
Seasons 1-9 now available on Netflix
Season 10 premieres on CBS on 10/1

NEW GIRL (FOX)
Season 3 premieres on Netflix on 9/16
Season 4 premieres on Fox on 9/16

PARENTHOOD (NBC)
Season 6 premieres on NBC on 9/25

PARKS AND RECREATION (NBC)
Season 6 premieres on Netflix on 9/26

ONCE UPON A TIME (ABC)
Season 3 available on Netflix on 8/29

PORTLANDIA (IFC)

REVENGE (ABC)
Season 3 premieres on Netflix on 8/29

SCANDAL (ABC)
Season 4 premieres on ABC on 9/25

SUPERNATURAL (THE CW)
Seasons 1-8 available now on Netflix
Season 9 premieres on Netflix on 10/7
Season 10 premieres on Netflix on 10/7

THE ORIGINALS (The CW)
Season one premieres on Netflix on 10/7
Season two premieres on Netflix on 10/6

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (The CW)
Seasons 1-4 available now on Netflix
Season 5 premiering on Netflix on 10/2
Season 6 premiering on the CW on 10/2

THE WALKING DEAD (AMC)
Seasons 1-3 available now on Netflix
Season 4 premieres on Netflix on 9/29
Season 5 premieres on AMC on 10/12

Based on the other CW shows, I am assuming Arrow will show up 10/8 to coincide with the season 3 premiere. What about The 100?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Barbershop 2: Back in Business (Comedy)
Blood Glacier (Horror, Foreign)
Parenthood Season 5 (TV, Drama, Comedy)
Swan Princess: A Royal Family Tale (Family, Adventures)
The Motel Life (Indie, Thriller)
Young & Beautiful (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

Canada:

Journey to the West (Adventure, Comedy, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Prowl (Horror, Vampire)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain, Kick Back, Knuckle Up (Family, Comedy)
Jim Jefferies: BARE Trailer
The Protector 2 (Action, Foreign)

Added today:

Barbershop 2: Back in Business (Comedy)
Blood Glacier (Horror, Foreign)
Parenthood Season 5 (TV, Drama, Comedy)
Swan Princess: A Royal Family Tale (Family, Adventures)
The Motel Life (Indie, Thriller)
Young & Beautiful (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

Canada:

Journey to the West (Adventure, Comedy, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Prowl (Horror, Vampire)

Is Prowl any good? I'm always looking for a good vampire movie.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Netflix's 'Marco Polo' Gets Premiere Date

The streaming service's new original series, about the explorer's adventures in Kublai Khan's court in 13th century China, will be available on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:01 a.m. PT.

Netflix Gets Into French Originals Business With ‘Marseille’

Netflix said today that it will premiere Marseille, an eight-episode tale of power, corruption and redemption in the French port city, late next year in all territories.

Created and written by Dan Franck and produced by Federation Entertainment, it centers on Robert Taro, the 25-year mayor of Marseille who will face in the coming elections the man he chose as his heir. The ambitious youngster is aiming high, and both candidates will fight mercilessly as they deal with drug lords, politicians, unions and the city’s political players.

RedAssedApe

Banned
thought those were typos.

so some of these WB shows are having their new seasons immediately available on netflix? wut? is it going to be like spartacus where there is only going to be 1 new episode per week or is it gonna be all available at once?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
http://deadline.com/2014/08/the-blacklist-netflix-deal-2-million-825836/

In what is believed to be the biggest subscription video-on-demand deal for a TV series, I’ve learned that Netflix has acquired the rights to hit NBC drama The Blacklist from Sony Pictures TV in a deal that will net $2 million per episode. I hear Season 1 of the series starring James Spader will debut on the streaming service next weekend. As for future seasons, Netflix usually makes them available shortly after the season finales.

Sony TV first tested the off-network market waters for The Blacklist in March. While other streaming services, like Amazon and Hulu, do joint syndication deals with cable networks, Netflix, which largely pioneered the series SVOD business, insists on getting first dibs. Twentieth Television just recently sold New Girl to TBS and MTV, more than an year after prior seasons of the Fox series landed at Netflix in a rich deal, said to be worth $900,000 an episode. Like was the case with New Girl, I hear Sony TV has the right to also sell The Blacklist in cable and broadcast syndication, with Netflix getting an exclusive first window. The $2 million per-episode fee is said to be the biggest for an off-network series paid by Netflix (or any others streaming company), eclipsing previous record holder, AMC’s The Walking Dead, whose sale price to Netflix is believed to be $1.35 million per episode.
Seems kind of wacky to pay so much for a major network show, which pretty much everyone can watch for free with an antenna and/or stream from NBC's site. Or is this one of those shows that doesn't have episodes available online?

Supposedly it will be available starting next weekend; S2 starts in a few weeks. I may give it a whirl.

Draconian

Seems kind of wacky to pay so much for a major network show, which pretty much everyone can watch for free with an antenna and/or stream from NBC's site. Or is this one of those shows that doesn't have episodes available online?

Supposedly it will be available starting next weekend; S2 starts in a few weeks. I may give it a whirl.

I think it just has a few episodes on Hulu and that's it. It is a pretty popular show, especially for it being on NBC.

RedAssedApe

Banned

I think it just has a few episodes on Hulu and that's it. It is a pretty popular show, especially for it being on NBC.

For some shows Hulu doesn't even give you access to past seasons anymore. Some shows also only give you the option of seeing the most recent 4-5 episodes that have aired. For example if I wanted to catch up on Arrow, only the final 5 episodes of Season 2 are available even for Hulu+. The number of ad breaks is also excruciatingly long.

Also, a lot of shows are now starting to lock online access to their shows behind cable subscriber credentials. Alongside that, unless you auth with those credentials, availability of episodes through their own apps or Hulu+ is delayed.

Basically the only reason I see to subscribe to Hulu+ is if you want to get HD streams and access through your TV. Hulu+ is really bad value IMO. Especially if you are already a cable TV subscriber and have access to devices with network tv apps (abc, nbc, fox, etc.) that already allow you to stream those same episodes.

jakncoke

Banned
I hope they start investing money into movies as well, green light some movies that are cool and neat that hollywood wont touch because whatever reason they have. Maybe even get into the box office game. Have a movie go to box office then arrive on netflix after its run

jakncoke

Banned
Nice list, that doomsday prepper show is ridiculous and lol, people spending 100k on a shelter for when the world or usa shit hits the fan

Top Bottom