• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

http://deadline.com/2014/08/the-blacklist-netflix-deal-2-million-825836/

Seems kind of wacky to pay so much for a major network show, which pretty much everyone can watch for free with an antenna and/or stream from NBC's site. Or is this one of those shows that doesn't have episodes available online?

Supposedly it will be available starting next weekend; S2 starts in a few weeks. I may give it a whirl.
You have to have Hulu Plus to watch the entire first season. I think that this is definitely a sound investment for Netflix

Draconian

For some shows Hulu doesn't even give you access to past seasons anymore. Some shows also only give you the option of seeing the most recent 4-5 episodes that have aired. For example if I wanted to catch up on Arrow, only the final 5 episodes of Season 2 are available even for Hulu+. The number of ad breaks is also excruciatingly long.

Also, a lot of shows are now starting to lock online access to their shows behind cable subscriber credentials. Alongside that, unless you auth with those credentials, availability of episodes through their own apps or Hulu+ is delayed.

Basically the only reason I see to subscribe to Hulu+ is if you want to get HD streams and access through your TV. Hulu+ is really bad value IMO. Especially if you are already a cable TV subscriber and have access to devices with network tv apps (abc, nbc, fox, etc.) that already allow you to stream those same episodes.

Yes, I have a friend who tried to watch The Strain on Hulu but couldn't because it's locked behind cable subscriber credentials like you said.

To me, the most appealing thing about Hulu+ is their selection of Criterion titles, which are pretty pricey to buy individually. I haven't really thought about getting it for any other reason, though I was kind of sad to figure out they have the rights to The Bridge, which I'd like to watch.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I hope they start investing money into movies as well, green light some movies that are cool and neat that hollywood wont touch because whatever reason they have. Maybe even get into the box office game. Have a movie go to box office then arrive on netflix after its run

I'm surprised they havent invested in indie movies to be honest.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Young Doctor's Notebook and Other Stories Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Revenge Season 3 (TV, Drama)
Strange Hill High Season 1-2 (TV, Kids)
Strawberry Shortcake: Berry Bitty Adventures Season 1-3 (TV, Kids)

TCRS

Banned
anyone else having issues with connecting to netflix US with hola? I updated hola two days ago and have been unable to connect to netflix US since. it just says 'testing connection' and that's it, even with other servers. I have no idea how to get back the old version of hola.

jakncoke

Banned
The ending credits song to BoJack Horseman is catchy. The show content is ok, will end up finishing the season today after the Pirates game. Wondering if the season will pick up interesting level as I go on. Im starting eps 7 atm

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Expiring from my list (on 9/26):

Stephen Hawking's Grand Design
Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking
Love/Hate (9/17)
The Colony
Dirty Jobs
Dual Survival
When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions
Survivorman
Raging Planet
Wicked Attraction
The Seven Year Itch (9/1)
National Geographic: Amazing Planet (9/22)
Capote (9/1)
Midnight Express (9/1)

I actually didn't know Midnight Express was on there. I might have to fit that in.

Expiring for me on the first:

Charley Varrick
How to Lose Friends and Alienate People
The Long Goodbye

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just discovered Hola unblocker. So which regions should I keep an eye on? I mainly hear Canada, Sweden and Mexico are good,

Canada - Last years blockbusters and tv shows.
Mexico - Disney films and horror movies.
Sweden - God Tier.

Netherlands should be another one to visit.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Also expiring on the 1st:

What About Bob? (gonna put this on now)
Can't Hardly Wait
Just One of the Guys
Panic Room

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

30 for 30: Soccer Stories: Hillsborough (TV, Documentary, Sports)
Being Mary Jane Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Once Upon a Time Season 1 (TV, Drama, Fantasy)

RBH

Silver Linings Playbook

ifC4DyCZegCWp.gif

If anyone is into nature docs, the "wildest" series has been very good so far. I've watched all of the arctic ones and the first episode of the India one.

Lubricus

I'm late to the party on this, I didn't realize Amazon Prime also includes streaming music as well as two day shipping, Kindle lending library, and Prime video. It is $99/year but that was what I was paying for Google Play music by itself.
They have a Prime music app for Android and iOS. I use a Roku3 for the video. They limit the video their own Fire/Kindle phones/tablets and iPhones/iPads.
Not a bad deal for me.
I'm re-watching "Rome" season 1 now. "Deadwood" is next.
They have the older HBO series and quite a few exclusive TV series. such as "Extant" and "Hand of God",

Back to Netflix, I re-watched "Odd Thomas" which is still as good as the last time I watched it. "Don Jon" was another movie that held up well on the second watch.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It's a Disaster: The movie is an end-of-the-world film with an emphasis is on relationships/characters. Probably a love it or hate it film. Personally, I loved it. I thought it was well-written and well acted. The cast was all around amazing. Especially America Ferrera, Rachel Boston and David Cross.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm late to the party on this, I didn't realize Amazon Prime also includes streaming music as well as two day shipping, Kindle lending library, and Prime video. It is $99/year but that was what I was paying for Google Play music by itself.
They have a Prime music app for Android and iOS. I use a Roku3 for the video. They limit the video their own Fire/Kindle phones/tablets and iPhones/iPads.
Not a bad deal for me.
I'm re-watching "Rome" season 1 now. "Deadwood" is next.
They have the older HBO series and quite a few exclusive TV series. such as "Extant" and "Hand of God",
I think it's a better value than ever, even though they raised the price earlier this year, due to all of the additional stuff that you mentioned. The HBO library really sends it over the top, plus all of the other current shows that Netflix doesn't have (although Netflix has a much better movie selection).

It's a Disaster: The movie is an end-of-the-world film with an emphasis is on relationships/characters. Probably a love it or hate it film. Personally, I loved it. I thought it was well-written and well acted. The cast was all around amazing. Especially America Ferrera, Rachel Boston and David Cross.
I liked it a lot as well. The ending was great.

Definitely a 5 star from me but you have to be willing to pay attention since it's dialogue heavy.

It's almost like an early Kevin Smith movie without "dick and fart jokes" as Smith himself might put it.

Nyx

Saw Lone Survivor yesterday, pretty good, I'd rate it 3/5 stars.

And after 5 episodes, put me in the Bojack Horseman fan pool.
It's hilarious if you ask me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today (note: list is still being updated):

An Officer and a Gentleman (Drama)
Anaconda (Action)
Audrey Rose (Horror, Supernatural)
Brother's Shadow (Indie, Drama)
Californication Season 1-7 (TV, Drama)
Cesar's Last Fast (Documentary, Biographical/Cesar Chevez)
Comedy Warriors: Healing Through Humor (Documentary)
D3: The Mighty Ducks (Family)
Event Horizon (Horror, SciFi)
Flubber (Family, Comedy)
Forces of Naure (Romantic, Comedy)
Ghost in the Shell: Arise Season 1 (Anime)
Hard Rain (Action, Thriller)
Hoodwinked (Family, Comedy)
Invaders From Mars (Horror, SciFi)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Thriller, SciFi)
Monkey Shines (Horror)
Mr. Mom (Comedy)
Saving Silverman (Comedy, Romantic)
School of Rock (Family, Comedy)
Sling Blade (Indie, Drama)
Small Apartments (Indie, Comedy)
Spaceballs (Comedy, SciFi, Satire)
Summer Rental (Comedy)
The Best of Men (Drama, Sports)
The Greatest Show on Earth (Adventure, Drama)
The Horror Show (Horror, Supernatural)
Young Sherlock Holmes (Action, Thriller)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Canada:

12 Years a Slave (Drama)
Along Came Polly (Romantic, Comedy)
American Beauty (Drama)
Beverly Hills Cop 2 (Action, Comedy)
Blood and Wine (Thriller)
Brother's Shadow (Indie, Drama)
Cesar's Last Fast (Documentary, Social)
Cheaper by the Dozen ('50, Family, Comedy)
Cloverfield (Action, SciFi)
Forrest Gump (Drama)
Ghost in the Shell: Arise Season 1 (Anime)
How to Train Your Dragon (Family, Animation)
I Know That Voice (Documentary)
Kung Fu Panda (Family, Animation)
Office Space (Comedy)
[Rec] 3: Genesis (Horror, Zombie, Foreign)
Revenge of the Nerds (Comedy)
Route Irish (Drama, Crime)
Snow White and the Huntsman (Action, Fantasy)
The Bastard Sings the Sweetest Songs (Documentary)
The Best of Men (Drama, Sports)
The Dark Knight Rises (Action)
The Perfect Score (Comedy)
The Raven (Thriller)
The Siege (Action, Thriller)
The Untouchables (Action, Crime)
Thou Shalt Laugh 1-2 (Standup)

vatstep

Expiring 10/1
Battlestar Galactica
Law and Order SVU
The Wonder Years

In addition to some other stuff already posted by GK86, There Will Be Blood and Hugo have returned after some time away.

Definitely a 5 star from me but you have to be willing to pay attention since it's dialogue heavy.
No offense to you in particular, as I've heard this before, but it's kind of sad that these days we would consider a dialogue-driven film (i.e. not an action movie) one that you have to "pay attention to." It's a really straight-forward plot, without any twists/turns. Just turn off the friggin' computer or tablet or whatever and watch it. I'm admittedly guilty of this; it's such a terrible habit.

No offense to you in particular, as I've heard this before, but it's kind of sad that these days we would consider a dialogue-driven film (i.e. not an action movie) one that you have to "pay attention to." It's a really straight-forward plot, without any twists/turns. Just turn off the friggin' computer or tablet or whatever and watch it. I'm admittedly guilty of this; it's such a terrible habit.

I tend to point out "dialogue heavy" specifically when it comes to comedy because sometimes people may be in the mood for some slapstick or juvenile humor and going into a movie like It's a Disaster expecting something more akin to a Will Ferrell movie can end up turning people off. It's all about having the right expectations.

But I do agree that multi-tasking while watching films or even tv shows has had a negative affect on viewing as a whole.

vatstep

I tend to point out "dialogue heavy" specifically when it comes to comedy because sometimes people may be in the mood for some slapstick or juvenile humor and going into a movie like It's a Disaster expecting something more akin to a Will Ferrell movie can end up turning people off. It's all about having the right expectations.

But I do agree that multi-tasking while watching films or even tv shows has had a negative affect on viewing as a whole.
Ah, I gotcha.

strafer

Californication is a great ride.

Season 1 & 2 are brilliant.

Lot's of boobies, vaginas and rude language.

Like you never seen Fox Mulder.

vatstep

Californication S3 is worth watching solely for Eva Amurri's breasts.

jakncoke

Banned
Havent seen Hard Rain in what feels to be a decade, time for a revisit. Pretty good last I remember. Time to see if time was friendly to it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Price Above Rubies (Romantic, Drama)
Alistair MacLean's Air Force One is Down Season 1 (TV, Drama)
American Experience: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (TV, Documentary)
Anastasia (Family, Animation)
Antisocial (Indie, Horror)
Assassination (Action, Thriller)
Bloodsport (Action, Martial Arts)

Boys and Girls (Romantic, Comedy)
Chuck & Buck (Indie, Drama)
Cool Runnings (Comedy)
Count Yorga, Vampire (Horror, Vampire)
Crocodile Dundee (Action, Comedy)
Death Warrant (Action, Martial Arts)

Dentention (Indie, Horror)
Doomsday Preppers Season 1-3 (TV, Reality)
Eve's Bayou (Indie, Drama)
FernGully: The Last Rainforest (Family, Animation)
Girlfight (Indie, Drama, Sports)
Girl Rising (Documentary, Social)
Good Morning, Vietnam (Comedy)

Grosse Pointe Blank (Romantic Comedy)
Guess Who (Romantic, Comedy)
Gurren Lagann Season 1 (Anime)
Inside: Pepsico (TV, Documentary)
Losing Isaiah (Drama)
Mirage Men (Documentary)

Old Yeller (Family, Drama)
Pint-Sized Preachers (TV, Documentary, Faith)
Pleased to Meet Me (Indie, Drama)
Poetic Justice (Drama)
Snow Day (Family, Comedy)
Step into Liquid (TV, Documentary, Sports)

Sucker Punch ('08, Action, Non-sexy version)
Summer Rental (Comedy)
The Assets Season 1 (TV, Drama)
The Believers (Horror, Supernatural)
The Blue Lagoon (Drama, Romantic)

The Elephant Man (Drama)
The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking (Family, Adventure)
The Presidio (Drama)
Vu du ciel Season 2-4 (TV, Documentary, Science)
We Always Lie to Strangers (Documentary, Music)
Where the Trail Ends (Documentary, Sports)
Will Penny (Drama, Western)

Canada:

American Pie (Comedy)
American Wedding (Comedy)
Catch Me If You Can (Drama)
Cleanskin (Thriller)
Fertile Ground (Horror, Supernatural)
Gurren Lagaan Season 1 (Anime)
Sherk (Family, Animation)
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Action)
Vu du ciel Season 1-4 (TV, Documentary, Sports)
Working Girl (Romantic, Comedy)

UK:

American Ninja 4: The Annihilation (Action, Martial Arts)
Asterix: The 12 Tasks (Family, Comedy)
Asterix the Gual (Family, Comedy)
Berlin Job (Thriller, Crime)
Bio-Dome (Comedy)
Brave (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Charlie Bartlett (Indie, Comedy)
The House of the Devil (Horror, Supernatural)

Mexico:

50 First Dates (Romantic, Comedy)
A Few Good Men (Drama)
Airplane! (Comedy, Surely)
An Inconvenient Truth (Documentary, Science)
Babel (Drama)
Back to the Future Part II (Action, SciFi)

Bad Boys 2 (Action)
Barbarella ('68, Action)
Beethoven (Family, Comedy)
Big Daddy (Comedy)
Black Hawk Down (Action)
Blue Streak (Comedy)

Boyz n the Hood (Drama)
Brian's Song (Drama)
Click (Comedy)
Collateral (Thriller)
Curious George (Family, Adventure)
De Q Te quiero, Te quiero Season 1 (TV, Soap, Foreign)

Deep Impact (Action, SciFi)
Despicable Me (Family, Comedy)
Down to Earth (Romantic, Comedy)
Downtown Abbey Season 1-2 (TV, Drama)
Enough (Thriller)
Erin Brockovich (Drama)

Flushed Away (Family, Animation)
Gurren Lagann Season 1 (Anime)
Harry and the Hendersons (Family, Comedy)
Harvey (Comedy)
Head of State (Comedy)
Hellboy (Action)

Hot Fuzz (Comedy)
Hugo (Family, Animation)
Hulk ('03, Action)
Identity (Thriller)
Idle Hands (Horror, Comedy)
Inglourious Basterds (Thriller)

Jaws 3 (Thriller)
Jaws: The Revenge (Thriller)
Jerry Maguire (Comedy)
John Tucker Must Die (Romantic, Comedy)
Julie & Julia (Drama)
Juno (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)

Kate & Leopold (Romantic, Comedy)
K-Pax (Drama, SciFi)
La Tempestad Season 1 (TV, Soap, Foreign)
Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Family, Comedy)
Leon: The Professional (Action, Foreign)
Little Man (Comedy)
Lone Wolf McQuada (Action)

Mission: Impossible 3, Ghost Protocol (Action)
Monster High 13 Wishes (TV, Kids)
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (Family, Comedy)
Mrs. Doubtfire (Comedy)
Nacho Libre (Comedy)

Over the Hedge (Family, Comedy)
Panic Room (Thriller)
Paranormal Activity 3 (Horror, Supernatural)
Pineapple Express (Comedy)
Platoon (Drama)

Pootie Tang (Comedy)
Porque el Amor Manda Season 1 (TV, Soap, Foreign)
Prom Night (Horror, Slasher)
Radio (Drama)
Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Extinction (Horror, Zombie)
Screamers (Thriller, SciFi)

Second Jungle Book: Mowgli and Baloo (Family, Adventure)
Secret Window (Thriller)
See No Evil, Hear No Evil (Comedy)
Serendipity (Romantic Comedy)
Shark Tale (Family, Comedy)

Shooter (Action, Thriller)
Step Brothers (Comedy)
Superbad (Comedy)
S.W.A.T. (Action)

Tomcats (Comedy)
Transformers Prime Season 1 (TV, Kids)
The Crazies (Horror, Zombie)
The Cutting Edge (Romantic, Drama)
The Devil Inside (Horror, Worst movie ever)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Adventure, Western)
The Others (Horror)
World Trade Center (Drama)
Year One (Comedy)

Fucking hell, Mexico must have been good to Netflix last month.

Nizz

Finally finished my run of Fringe tonight. Man, I really ended up loving the show. Got a slight case of the feels during the series finale. All in all I thought the show was great.

It was the type of show in the vein of The X-Files that I was looking for. I still can't believe I missed it during its initial run on tv. Really good. Now it's on to Arrow, I've heard some good things about that show.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Oh man, I absolutely loved Fringe. It's one of the many reasons why i'm in love with Netflix; never would have watched it if it weren't for this service. Walter (and Gene) stole the show. John Noble does some mighty impressive acting.
Still don't know how I feel about the last season, though. The finale was a bit dissapointing.

Arrow's pretty entertaining. The first five episodes are a bit rough to watch, but it get's much, much better after those. Hopefully Netflix puts up Season 2 soon.

I see Chuck will dissapear on the 9th on Netflix Netherlands. Makes me sad to see my favorite show go away. Time for another marathon... :p

Grosse Pointe Blank added today. To anyone that hasn't seen it yet, watch it. A great comedy from the late 90s and a killer soundtrack.

Finally finished my run of Fringe tonight. Man, I really ended up loving the show. Got a slight case of the feels during the series finale. All in all I thought the show was great.

It was the type of show in the vein of The X-Files that I was looking for. I still can't believe I missed it during its initial run on tv. Really good. Now it's on to Arrow, I've heard some good things about that show.

Yeah, the finale for Fringe did bring the feels. The two parts that I had the hardest time keeping it together:
When Astrid showed Walter where Gene was, and when Walter said "It is a beautiful name. Astrid." Dawwww!
I was disappointed at the way Olivia killed Widmark though. She gets that awesome power up moment, and you think she is going to make him explode, Scanners style, then all she does is slide a car at him.

Oh man, I absolutely loved Fringe. It's one of the many reasons why i'm in love with Netflix; never would have watched it if it weren't for this service. Walter (and Gene) stole the show. John Noble does some mighty impressive acting.
Still don't know how I feel about the last season, though. The finale was a bit dissapointing.

Arrow's pretty entertaining. The first five episodes are a bit rough to watch, but it get's much, much better after those. Hopefully Netflix puts up Season 2 soon.

I see Chuck will dissapear on the 9th on Netflix Netherlands. Makes me sad to see my favorite show go away. Time for another marathon... :p

Arrow is damn awesome. It is a bit rough, but episode 14 is when the awesome kicks in.
I saw somewhere that Arrow season 2 should be on Netflix on September 14th or something like that. So plenty of time to marathon it before season 3 starts on October 8th.

Top Bottom