• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I watched the first episode of Utopia last night, really intriguing stuff. I love, love the cinematography and the colors. Hoping to finish it up by the weekend.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I hope not. I would probably rent a vpn server. I expect them to go through with it. Studios were probably the reason they got rid of the "upcoming releases" Api.

Netflix Under Pressure to Close Down The VPN Loophole

If they do this I'll probably stop using Netflix :/ ... don't think Netflix will do it because a lot of users depend on VPNs to have a decent streaming quality.

I'd still subscribe but I'd be greatly disappointed. Netflix is able to do this and haven't yet. I don't see why they would, they're gaining money from it.

It also doesn't make sense because unlike Hulu (which I think tried to block them) netflix is global and a content producer. They advertise the fact my service works if I were to go to the UK or any of their regions that they have service in. Like spotify. They keep track of what I watch and my ratings.

I'm not too worried. They also haven't mentioned it in their financial statements. Also would this effect DNS services? This seems like people in Australia getting pissy and gizmodo writing an article in order to scare people (a long with the 1000 articles about how the internet is going to die and you're gonna get sued for copyright infringement)

Ugh, seriously? The right-holders in Australia where the service isn't available they are complaining about this?

I guess I would keep it, but it would have so much less value for me being in The Netherlands.

El Topo

Ugh, seriously? The right-holders in Australia where the service isn't available they are complaining about this?

I'm pretty sure they're (presumably) not the only ones complaining. I imagine all local media companies are not too happy about people (ab)using VPN to access all sorts of content.

jakncoke

Banned
Not that im up to the know about the VPN thing but from that article it seems like shutting down certain VPN will stop people for about a sandwich length in time as they change to another VPN service and do nothing in real terms except have the people who are bitching give themselves fake pats on the back thinking they saved the internet and world from heinous crimes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Netflix aside, I'm betting that services like Unblock Us could find a way around it pretty quickly. Not entirely surprised they're getting heat though. Just the death-throws of an increasingly irrelevant arm of the entertainment market IMO. It's a global market now folks, get with the plan.

Wouldn't it be very difficult to ban VPNs anyways? The NFL tries to block them from what I've heard because they offer a service worldwide but they haven't been able to do it 100% yet.
And from what I know, they never will be able to either.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

3 Days to Kill (Crime, Thriller)
Black Coffee (Romantic, Comedy)
Bones Season 9 (TV, Drama)
Four of Hearts (Romantic, Drama)
Frat Brothers (Drama)
Grigris (Drama, Foreign)
Music For Mandela (Documentary, Biographical, Music)
New Girl Season 3 (TV, Comedy)
Raising Izzie (Drama, Faith)
Silver Linings Playbook (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
The Colony (Action, SciFi)
The Fosters Season 2 (TV, Drama)
The Music Never Stopped (Indie, Drama)
The Sacrament (Indie, Thriller, Horror)

Blocking most "problematic" VPN usage would not be that hard- just block the account from accessing content available only outside of the home country. Why bother with IP filters when the service requires a login? That said, this obviously has a direct effect on Netflix's bottom line, so there's no way they are doing it voluntarily.

Filth is pretty good. I would give it a solid recommendation.

O6Vs2CR.jpg

Actual movie scene

Any good space sci-fi movie recommendations for US Netflix? Something along the lines of Space Odyssey, Moon or Europa Report. Bonus points for aspects of exploration or unknown.

Any good space sci-fi movie recommendations for US Netflix? Something along the lines of Space Odyssey, Moon or Europa Report. Bonus points for aspects of exploration or unknown.

Ah, I was going to say Europa Report! I highly recommend Mr. Nobody -- it's less about space and exploration, but still great sci-fi. Jared Leto is great in it.

Event Horizon, of course. Hopefully, Sunshine comes back on US Netflix one day. Love has a Moon vibe to it, but I kept falling asleep.

Pickings are pretty slim. I'd recommend Treasure Planet lol

Silent Running is pretty good too, quite a bit in common with Moon.

And if you just want some good sci-fi but not in space, I'd recommend Upside Down.

I did not know that if you have a DVD/Bluray plan then you can only stream within your country of subscription. I have to disable it to get Hola to work. That sucks.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Parks and Recreation Season 5 (TV, Comedy)

Coming by the end of Sept:

How I Met Your Mother S9
The Walking Dead S4
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa
Killing Them Softly

Jimothy

Added today:

Parks and Recreation Season 5 (TV, Comedy)

Coming by the end of Sept:

How I Met Your Mother S9
The Walking Dead S4
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa
Killing Them Softly
Is season 5 of parks and rec really bad or something? The internet seems to hate the show now.

Killing Them Softly was a pretty good one

Is season 5 of parks and rec really bad or something? The internet seems to hate the show now.

Season 5 isn't the best season but I still liked it quite a bit. I haven't been keeping up with it as much (which is why i was disappointed to see that that's not the most recent season, the one i'm not caught up on) but I'd imagine more backlash came from S6

jakncoke

Banned
Give the UK office a go, when you finish the U.S. verison.
Definetly post your opinions on the last US season of the office, after you watch.

Ricky Gervais eh, Between him and Steve Carell . Im not sure who I dislike more.

Also, damn why UK version only last 12 eps with 3 specials?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Beyond the Ocean (Indie, Drama)
Blood Lake (B-Horror)
Bratz: Friendship is Always in Style (Kids)
Call the Midwife Season 3 (TV, Drama)
Dead Within (Horror, Zombie)
Dream School Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Hatari! (Comedy)
Hot House (Documentary, Cultural, Foreign)
Ragamuffin (Drama)
Rampage: Capital Punishment (Action)
Reporter (Documentary, Political)
Suspect Zero (Thriller)
The Firm (Crime, Thriller)
The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete (Indie, Drama)
The Next Best Thing (Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
The Sons of Katie Elder (Western, Action)
The Suspect (Action, Thriller, Foreign)
The Talent Given Us (Indie, Comedy, Drama)
The Woman Chaser (Indie, Dark Comedy)

rexor0717

I'm watching 3 Days to Kill and the lady in this movie wishes she was ScarJo's Black Widow. This movie is pretty bad, but it at least has good production values.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Kinda lame that Arrested Development is available in Belgium, but not the new (4th) season. I hope they add that asap.

zou

Netflix aside, I'm betting that services like Unblock Us could find a way around it pretty quickly. Not entirely surprised they're getting heat though. Just the death-throws of an increasingly irrelevant arm of the entertainment market IMO. It's a global market now folks, get with the plan.

How? All they have to do is block known server ip ranges/asns and they're done.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eh, Season 4 is pretty good but I'd suggest watching it in one go.

The best "resurrected" netflix property though is Trailer Park Boys. Fantastic new season.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It's good. Not as good as the previous seasons, and the structure is a bit messy, but it's still good.
Yeah, it was definitely divisive, but I liked it enough to watch it again. I thought it was better the second time around; the structure felt less jarring.

Top Bottom