• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

jakncoke

Banned
10-1, time to get some horror movies on. Or at least what I hope are. Yesterday I watched a couple movies that were in the horror section but didnt really feel like horror. For instance Hardware, didnt really feel like it was labeled correctly. Same goes for Odd Thomas. I rewatched Dead End yesterday, a decent watch still. One thing of note, how can you mess up a movie where the plot line is French community revolts against WW2 soldiers throws them into a lake after killing them, 50 years later or whatever they come back as the living dead. Maybe it was just the budget. It did seem like it was a small budget super small budget film from the costume design of the german zombies. Movie was called Zombie Lake, also if you're looking for full bushes there was about 15 different fully nude woman in the movie all fully bushed out lol

tj hazuki

What are good miniseries to check out? Just finished Breaking Bad (again) so I don't want to dive into another multi-season show yet.

If you want comedy than I suggest The Inbetweeners. Only like 6 episodes in 3 seasons or something like that. Relatively short, but hilarious.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just got an e-mail that they added the complete series of Gilmore Girls, been meaning to rewatch that show, looks like I found a new thing to sink some time in.

10-1, time to get some horror movies on. Or at least what I hope are. Yesterday I watched a couple movies that were in the horror section but didnt really feel like horror. For instance Hardware, didnt really feel like it was labeled correctly. Same goes for Odd Thomas. I rewatched Dead End yesterday, a decent watch still. One thing of note, how can you mess up a movie where the plot line is French community revolts against WW2 soldiers throws them into a lake after killing them, 50 years later or whatever they come back as the living dead. Maybe it was just the budget. It did seem like it was a small budget super small budget film from the costume design of the german zombies. Movie was called Zombie Lake, also if you're looking for full bushes there was about 15 different fully nude woman in the movie all fully bushed out lol
Have you seen The Horde? I thought it was a pretty solid zombie movie

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Another Gay Movie (Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Collection (TV, Travel, Food)
Bear City (Indie, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
Boy Culture (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
Cabin Fever: Patient Zero (Horror)
Chelsea Handler: Uganda Be Kidding Me (Netflix Original, Standup)
Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives Collection (TV, Food)
Gilmore Girls Season 1-7 (TV, Drama)
Good Eats Collection (TV, Food)
Guardian of the Highlands (Family, Animation)
House Hunters Collection (TV, Reality)
Julius Jr. Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Justin Bieber: Never Say Never/Director's Fan Cut (Documentary, Musical)
Killing Them Softly (Action, Thriller)
Longhorns (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
Man vs Food Collection (TV, Food)
Melanie Comarcho: Hello! (Standup)
Off Limits Collection (TV, Travel)
Peaky Blinders Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Rachael Ray's Week in a Day Collection (TV, Food)
Restaurant: Impossible Collection (TV, Reality)
Selling New York Collection (TV, Reality)
Taboo Season 1 (TV, Reality)
The Heart of Bruno Wizard (Documentary, Musical)
The Hunted (Action, Thriller)
The Monkey's Paw (Horror, Supernatural)

I wonder why they did this collection crap and not whole seasons.

Salsa

so Hola! is not working for me since yesterday night and im going nuts

help?

please

edit: guess i'll try zenmate for a while..

Salsa

Netflix has been acting up a lot lately.. huh.. my unified remote app on my phone isn't letting me pause and play anymore and a lot of other weird stuff like the HD button randomly not being there

do you guys use silverlight or HTML 5 btw?

I wonder why they did this collection crap and not whole seasons.

Apparently the Scripps Network (Travel, HGTV, Food, DYI, etc.) deal is "relatively short" and kind of a PR stunt to appease investors.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/scri...ibrary-licensing-deal-with-netflix-1412196520

Scripps Networks Interactive Inc. SNI -0.13% has reached a licensing deal with Netflix Inc. NFLX -2.74% that will allow customers to stream past seasons of shows like the Food Network's "Cutthroat Kitchen" and Travel Channel's "Man v. Food" on the online video service.

The deal appears to be limited in scope, with one person familiar with the matter saying the life of it is "relatively short." The deal only covers the U.S., not other territories, the person said. Scripps' previous deal with Amazon.com Inc., AMZN -1.54% which ended in March, lasted one year.

A Netflix spokeswoman who confirmed the deal said it includes titles such as HGTV's "House Hunters" and "Love it or List It," the Food Network's "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives," and Travel Channel's "Man v. Food" and "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations." The Netflix spokeswoman said Scripps shows were appearing on the service starting Wednesday.

The deal is likely to give a boost to Scripps investors' confidence in the company's ability to monetize its library of lifestyle programming online. Amazon.com Inc.'s decision to drop Scripps programming from its online video service tied to Prime subscriptions surprised some Wall Street analysts, leading them to cut earnings outlooks for Scripps. As recently as September, Macquarie Securities analyst Amy Yong wrote that "we are…no longer assuming a material contribution from high-margin" subscription video-on-demand licensing revenues for Scripps.

Netflix's interest in a Scripps deal is also something of a surprise. The online video service has been getting choosier about what library fare it licenses, and has noted that unscripted fare is less popular on its streaming service than dramas, people familiar with the matter have said. "We're very happy to have Scripps content in our catalog," the Netflix spokeswoman said Wednesday.

These "unscripted shows" seem to do crappy on streaming services. Amazon dropped them like a hot potato, but I guess Netflix is giving them a tiny whirl. It sucks cuz a lot of these episodes are ancient - like 2008-2009. Scripps is being stingy and I'm sure they want to stay all cable.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Apparently the Scripps Network (Travel, HGTV, Food, DYI, etc.) deal is "relatively short" and kind of a PR stunt to appease investors:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/scri...ibrary-licensing-deal-with-netflix-1412196520

These "scripted shows" seem to do crappy on streaming services. Amazon dropped them like a hot potato, but I guess Netflix is giving them a tiny whirl. It sucks cuz a lot of these episodes are ancient - like 2008-2009. Scripps is being stingy and I'm sure they want to stay all cable.

Ahh thanks for this. Kinda lame really. I guess it is better than nothing for fans of the show. Really wished they went all out.

Ahh thanks for this. Kinda lame really. I guess it is better than nothing for fans of the show. Really wished they went all out.

Yeah pretty lame. If they put up last year's episodes I bet those "unscripted shows" numbers would improve. Nobody wants to see a House Hunters from 2007 before the real estate crash.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Went back and double checked, and added some more for the US. Just about every horror movie up across the regions. Anything that was listed once in another region, isn't being listed twice.

US:

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2
Absentia
American Mary
Argento's Dracula
ATM
Black Sunday
Cabin Fever Patient Zero
Candyman
Carrie (1987)
Children of the Corn/3/4//5/666 Isaac's Return
Contracted
Creepshow 2
Dead Silence
Dead Snow
Devil
Devil's Pass
Dracula 3000
Event Horizon
Evil Dead 2
Fido
Friday the 13th: Part 7: The New Blood
Fright Night
From Dusk Till Dawn
Grave Encounters 1/2
Halloween Resurrection
Haunter
Hell
Hellraiser 1/2/3/Bloodline/Revelations/Inferno/Hellworld/Hellseeker/Deader
Here Comes the Devil
House 1/2
House on Haunted Hill
Ichi the Killer
Insidious Chapter 2
Ju-on: The Grudge/2
Leprechaun
Let the Right One In
Maniac
Night of the Creeps
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Nosferatu
Odd Thomas
Paranormal Activity 4/Unrated
Pontypool
[Rec] 3
Re-Animator
Rosemary's Baby
Scream 1/2/3
Silent Hill Revelation
Slugs
Sate of Emergency
Texas Chainsaw (2013)
The ABCs of Death
The Bay
The Blair Witch Project
The Cabin in the Woods
The Caller
The Collection
The Craft
The Crow Wicked Prayer
The Final
The Fog
The Frighteners
The Horde
The Host
The House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
The Monkey's Paw
The Pact
The Shrine
The Snowtown Murders
The Ward
Tucker & Dale VS Evil
VHS 1/2
Vampire in Brooklyn
Wishmaster
You're Next

Canada:

30 Days of Night
Chernobyl Diaries
Child's Play/Seed of Chucky
Darkness Falls
Doghouse
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
Dracula 2000
Fright Night 2
Halloween (2007)/H20/The Curse of Michael Myers
Hostel 1/3
Insidious
Let Me In
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
Pet Sematary
Pumpkinhead
Saw 1/2/3/4/5/3D
Teeth
The Eye
The Descent 1/2
The Devil Rejects
The Grudge
The Haunting in Connecticut
The Last Exorcism
The Mist
The Strangers
The Thing (2011)
Would You Rather

Mexico:

A Nightmare on Elm Street
Apoll 18
Boogeyman
Case 39
Candyman 3
Child's Play 2/3
Cube 1/2
Friday the 13th (2009)
Idle Hands
Paranormal Activity 2
Poltergeist
Psycho
[Rec]
Stigmata
The Amityville Horror (both 1979 and 2005)/2
The Collector
The Crazies
The Gate
The Messengers
The Omen (1976)
The Ring
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
The Woman in the Black
Twilight Zone the Movie
Wishmaster 2

Sweden:

Cabin Fever
Cube
Dawn of the Dead
Drag Me to Hell
Halloween II (2009)/Season of the Witch
Jeepers Creepers 2
Saw VI
Scream 4
Shutter
Silent Hill
Slither
The Conjuring
The Orphanage
The Shining
Wrong Turn

UK:

An American Werewolf in London
Carrie (2013)
Friday the 13th: Part 4/5/6/7/8
Fright Night (2011)
Panadorum
Sinister
Thirteen Ghosts
The Ring Two
Unborn

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So, Law and Order SVU didn't get removed today after all. Strange how that happens sometimes; it's like the renewal goes through at the last second or something.

Apparently the Scripps Network (Travel, HGTV, Food, DYI, etc.) deal is "relatively short" and kind of a PR stunt to appease investors.

These "unscripted shows" seem to do crappy on streaming services. Amazon dropped them like a hot potato, but I guess Netflix is giving them a tiny whirl. It sucks cuz a lot of these episodes are ancient - like 2008-2009. Scripps is being stingy and I'm sure they want to stay all cable.

Damn. I also just finally checked and Good Eats is only 25 episodes, and not some of my favorite ones either. LAME. But some Good Eats is better than none.

I am guessing Law and Order SVU had a through Oct 1 contract.

I can no longer find it streaming on Netflix.

Shame too. Since these (Law and Order Family/ Battlestar) are Universal/Comcast properties is the going money on HULU, or that they will be COMCAST on demand exclusive?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today. Full list a bit later:

Annie, Can't Hardly Wait, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, Don't Be a Menace to South Central, Dirty Dancing, Evil Dead 2, Galaxy Quest, Team America.

Was hoping for more horror movies.

Canada: Rise of the Planets of the Apes and Dexter S8.

jakncoke

Banned
watched 3 horror today.

Tamara: Was decent, group of hs student mess with a oddball girl who into witchcraft and she basically makes them pay for it through the movie

Phantoms: Decent movie as well.

Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead: Directed by the same director that did The Machine Girl so with that title and his work with the machine girl. I gave it a go. Flirts so much with so bad its not bad. But ye definitely should be on only watch when doing b-movish marathon/drunk movie watching

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (Comedy, Spoof)
An Affair to Remember (Romantic, Drama)
Affliction (Indie, Drama)
Alice (Indie, Drama, Romantic)

Annie (Family, Drama, Musical)
Baby's Day Out (Family, Comedy)
Bananas (Comedy)
Body Count (Action, Thriller)

Can't Hardly Wait (Comedy, Romantic)
Caught Up (Crime, Drama)
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (Action, Comedy)
Chicken Run (Family, Animation)

Cool World (Action, Comedy)
The Desert Fox: The Story of Rommel (Drama, War)
Dirty Dancing (Romantic, Drama)
Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights (Romantic, Drama)

Domestic Disturbance (Thriller)
Don't Be a Menace to South Central (Comedy, Spoof)
Ernest Saves Christmas (Family, Comedy)
Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex (Comedy)
Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn (Horror, Dark Comedy)

Fat Man & Little Boy (Drama, War)
Finding Forrester (Drama, Sports)
From the Hip (Comedy)
Galaxy Quest (Comedy, SciFi)

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (Action, Western)
House (Thriller, Supernatural)
House Arrest (Family, Comedy)
Interiors (Indie, Drama)

Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (Family, Animation)
Kramer vs Kramer (Drama)
L'Auberge Espagnole (Romantic, Comedy, Foreign)
Love and Death (Comedy, Spoof)

Mike Birbiglia: What I Should Have Said Was Nothing (Standup)
My Father the Hero (Family, Comedy)
Nell (Drama)
Nick of Time (Thriller)
Paths of Glory (Drama, War)

Radio Days (Indie, Drama)
Rescue Dawn (Indie, Action, War)
Romeo + Juliet (Drama, Romantic)
Searching of Bobby Fischer (Family, Drama)

September (Indie, Drama)
Shadow of the Vampire (Indie, Drama)
Shadows and Fog (Indie, Dark Comedy)
Shane (Action, Western)

Shivers (Horror, SciFi)
Tamara (Horror, Supernatural)
Team America: World Police (Comedy, Spoof)
The Contender (Drama)
The Fly ('58, Horror, SciFi)

The Gambler (Thriller, Crime)
The Hanoi Hilton (Drama, War)
The Last Godfather (Comedy, Spoof)
The Parallax View (Thriller)

The Phantom of the Opera (Horror, Slasher)
The Producers ('68, Comedy, Musical)
The Purple Rose of Cario (Romantic, Comedy)
The Rage: Carrie 2 (Horror, Supernatural)

The Wedding Planner (Romantic, Comedy)
The Wild Thornberrys Movie (Family, Animation)
Three Fugitives (Action, Comedy)
Tombstone (Action, Western)

Tog Dog (Action, Thriller)
Unstable Fables: 3 Pigs and a Baby (Family, Animation)
Zelig (Comedy, Spoof)

Watched The Sacrament. It was pretty much Jonestown Massacre: The Movie, nothing really standing out as original. That being said, it was an unsettling tense film, that established a real sense of unease in the first half. The Vice inclusion was a nice inclusion, gave the movie a greater feeling of realism than your usual found footage movie.

El Topo

Finished Penny Dreadful S1. If you're looking for an alternative to all those horror movies for October, it's an atmospheric gothic (horror) TV show you might want to check it out. Great series, great performances, gloomy atmosphere, a bit slow at times, could have used more sets, but really enjoyable. Payoff in the end wasn't as great as I had hoped, actually the end of the season was pretty disappointing and "formulaic", actually all a bit out of nowhere, but still recommended.

Edit:
To quote a great summary from the official thread:
Penny Dreadful is a great show, but it's also a very different kind of show than what you're probably expecting. There's very little action or outright horror (it's nothing like American Horror Story or The Walking Dead). It's a creepy, slow paced period piece filled with wonderfully flowery monologues, outstanding performances, and lavish set design. I thought it was one of the best shows of the year.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Finished Penny Dreadful S1. If you're looking for an alternative to all those horror movies for October, it's an atmospheric gothic (horror) TV show you might want to check it out. Great series, great performances, gloomy atmosphere, a bit slow at times, could have used more sets, but really enjoyable. Payoff in the end wasn't as great as I had hoped, actually the end of the season was pretty disappointing and "formulaic", actually all a bit out of nowhere, but still recommended.

seconded the recommended

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Man, The Walking Dead S4 is getting really good. Started off slow, but quickly picks up steam. Spoilers up through episode 8:

I can't believe they killed off Hershel. The realest mofo in that whole damn place. It made me happy to see the Governor back. Loved his character. The fight for the prison was amazing. One of the best episodes.

Also, I hope they kill off Carl. That little brat is getting annoying. I'm starting to hate the scenes he is in.

At least Germany.

Thank you.

Watched The Sacrament. It was pretty much Jonestown Massacre: The Movie, nothing really standing out as original. That being said, it was an unsettling tense film, that established a real sense of unease in the first half. The Vice inclusion was a nice inclusion, gave the movie a greater feeling of realism than your usual found footage movie.

It wasn't bad.
I was let down by the direction it went after the interview as Father was creepy and menacing enough for a more supernatural/occult horror movie.

Aiii

So not worth it
Man, The Walking Dead S4 is getting really good. Started off slow, but quickly picks up steam. Spoilers up through episode 8:

I can't believe they killed off Hershel. The realest mofo in that whole damn place. It made me happy to see the Governor back. Loved his character. The fight for the prison was amazing. One of the best episodes.

Also, I hope they kill off Carl. That little brat is getting annoying. I'm starting to hate the scenes he is in.

Comicbook Carl
turns into a major badass
(not really THAT spoilerish), so fingers crossed. Not sure the actor
can pull that off, but I'm willing to be proven wrong, really.

Comicbook Carl
If this happens, I wouldn't even know what to say lol

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Comicbook Carl

My friend told me the same thing. That he is completely different in the comics. Same with Andrea.

BFIB

My friend told me the same thing. That he is completely different in the comics. Same with Andrea.

Andrea and Lori (well, until season 3 when the writers finally figured out what they turned her into) were some of the worst written characters in recent memory.

Carol in the show is essentially what Andrea is in the comics. And yes, Carl becomes a major, major badass. Scary, even. Well worth reading even if your watching the show. Fantastic series.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

14 Blades (Action, Foreign)
American Masters: Billie Jean King (Documentary, Sports)
American Promise (Documentary, Cultural)
Bad Johnson (Comedy)
Big Ass Spider! (B-Horror)
Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern Collection (TV, Food)
Buying & Selling (TV, Reality)
Carrie ('13, Horror, Supernatural)
Caucus (Documentary, Political)
Chopped Collection (TV, Food)
Cupcake Wars (TV, Food)
Curious George: A Halloween Boo Fest (Family)
Cutthroat Kitchen (TV, Reality)
Everything or Nothing: The Untold Story of 007 (Documentary, Cultural)
Ghost Adventures Collection (TV, Reality)
Hit (Action)
Hostages Season 1 (TV, Drama)

Nature: Ireland's Wild River, Leave it to Beavers, Love in the Animal Kingdom, Meet the Coy-wolf, My Bionic Pet, Parrot Confidential, Saving Otter 501, Snow Monkeys, The Gathering Swarms, Touching the Wild (TV, Documentary, Nature)

Nazi Hunters Season 1 (TV, Documentary)
Off Limits Collection (TV, Reality)
Please Subscribe (Documentary, Social)
Pride: The Gay and Lesbian Comedy Slam (Standup)
Rehab Addict Collection (TV, Reality)
Reign Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Restaurant: Impossible Collection 1 (TV, Food)
The Dead Files (TV, Reality)
The Pioneer Woman Collection (TV, Food)

Riki

Please, FoodNetwork. Don't take these down.
Add more.
I csn watch Good Eats and Resturaunt Impossible all damn day!

Top Bottom