• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Bernbaum

New Netflix user here, running via Hola.

Really liking it, but too many movies are 'DVD only'. Is that just a fact of life? Why can't those movies be on their streaming service?

New Netflix user here, running via Hola.

Really liking it, but too many movies are 'DVD only'. Is that just a fact of life? Why can't those movies be on their streaming service?
Those count as rentals, pretty much everything is allowed to be rented out. Streaming needs separate rights and are much more difficult.

Bernbaum

Those count as rentals, pretty much everything is allowed to be rented out. Streaming needs separate rights and are much more difficult.

Is there good rotation with content though? I heard Netflix will get licenses for content with high viewership and then let those licenses expire once interest drops off. As this is Day 1 of life with Netflix, can expect good quality new releases to come through on a regular basis?

Is there good rotation with content though? I heard Netflix will get licenses for content with high viewership and then let those licenses expire once interest drops off. As this is Day 1 of life with Netflix, can expect good quality new releases to come through on a regular basis?

No there is little rotation. There is more focus on getting stuff that is popular but overall there is little change.

There are good months and bad months. It's all licensing, plus they're competing with Amazon and other streaming services for exclusive titles. Netflix is really about binge-watching TV shows. Movies are just the icing on the cake.

Bernbaum

There are good months and bad months. It's all licensing, plus they're competing with Amazon and other streaming services for exclusive titles. Netflix is really about binge-watching TV shows. Movies are just the icing on the cake.

I'm fine with that - I got it for TV shows.

Bernbaum

With Hola Unblocker you should be set, with Canada, Sweden, Luxembourg, Germany, Finland, Mexico, etc. - covers pretty most of the top shows on TV.

This site is decent in finding stuff worldwide:

http://netflixaroundtheworld.com/lists/popular-on-netflix

But it has some inaccuracies. Winter Soldier, for example, isn't available anywhere.

Awesome. I'm using Hola for US content. Wasn't aware of the regional disparity and will take advantage of it.

jakncoke

Banned
Gallowwalkers : Pretty boring snipes zombie/western

Forget me Not: average movie thats goes through a group of teens that screwed over a teen, i feel it really missed the boat on becoming a much better film giving the plot.

You're Next: Hits #1 on new horror movies ive seen so far this month. Definitely give this a view, good gore and kills and a decent story for a horror film.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finished up The Walking Dead S4. Great season with two weak episodes. The first one
when it was just Carl and Rick was boring.
The season finale being the second one. I thought it was weak ass hell. But I'm guessing they had to set everything up. Going to be a long wait for next season.

You're Next: Hits #1 on new horror movies ive seen so far this month. Definitely give this a view, good gore and kills and a decent story for a horror film.

I loved this film. Especially the music. It went really well with the scenes.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Coming in November:

Little Man (10/6)
The Quick and the Dead
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Heartburn
Hart's War
Airplane!
Breakheart Pass
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
The Core
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Fatal Attraction
The Blind Swordman: Zatoichi
Curse of the Crimson Altar
The Rocketeer
Addams Family Values
Road Trip: Beer Pong
Braveheart
Intefnal Affairs
Cleopatra
The Haunting
Cold Storage
The Preacher's Wife
Bram Stoker's Dracula
How to Steal a Million
Phenomenon

The Devil is a Part-Timer (anime) is pretty damn hilarious. Did not expect it to be so entertaining. The whole Satan flipping burgers thing is brilliant.

jakncoke

Banned
Next 3 in my marathon

The Prophecy 2: A lil bit less average than the 1st, Really wondering why they casted Walken for the first 2 films for that role.

The House of the Devil: Not intentual watching another Ti West film, but it came up via netflix roulette. Start out so slowly, like the movie is idk 1 h 30ish? And I bet till the last 20 minutes nothing of note occurred. Decent movie still tho

Elvira Mistress of the Darkness: Rather cheesy but still slightly appealing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The House of the Devil is definitely a slow burn. Really slow. I enjoyed it though. If only for the last 20 minutes.

El Topo

I'm really enjoying the stupid fun of Hemlock Grove (two episodes in), except for Janssen's horrible accent. Wow, it's so horrible.

I still haven't made it past episode 5. I have tried twice now lol.
Yeah I stopped watching my first time after ep 2 I think and thought this is turrible.

Some reason gave it another go, it's not a good show lol but for some reason I kept watching s1. Went on to watch s2 and thought this is turrible lol.
.......but I'll probably check out a s3.
It's one of those shows I'll watch but I know it's not good, it can get super cheesy (not in a interesting or cool way).

Four minutes into the third episode and it's gotten even dumber. But I will continue.
Lmao if you keep watching, wait until you get to s2😳 -_-

S1 had a kinda cool twist though

El Topo

Hemlock Grove said:
"We should find the killer."
"Why?"
"To make him stop."
"No."

I don't even.

Edit:
Stop talking everyone. You're talking nonsense. Stop talking. Please. You know what? This is hilarious. Although why is everyone smoking all the time?

DoubleD

Two words: genital cuff.
One of my favorites of anything Steve Martin did other than Parenthood.
Speaking of late 80's/early 90's movies, can we get some One Crazy Summer, Netflix? Please.
And how about Pumpkinhead and the Phantasm trilogy for October's sake?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Cross posting from the Horror thread:

Carrie ('76): It is a different kind of horror movie, more of a supernatural thriller than horror. Sissy's performance is a the main reason to watch it. I thought she was excellent. The movie is a slow burn, so if you hate those, I would probably avoid it.

Carrie ('13): Not only is it a terrible remake, it is a terrible movie. I usually like Chloe Moretz and Julianne Moore, but they were both horrible in this. Especially Moore. The film is almost a shot for shot of the original (lots of lines from the original too). It never really tries to be its own film. Avoid.

Two words: genital cuff.
One of my favorites of anything Steve Martin did other than Parenthood.
Speaking of late 80's/early 90's movies, can we get some One Crazy Summer, Netflix? Please.
And how about Pumpkinhead and the Phantasm trilogy for October's sake?

Pumpkinhead is in Netflix Canada.

El Topo

I'm on the eigth episode right now. This show is amazing. I mean it's really bad, it really sucks, it's really boring at times, but at the same time it's really entertaining, great even.

That said, I hope everyone who didn't wash his hands (after using the toilet) a few episodes back gets his punishment, if possible by the black guy that had to clean up the mess.

The House of the Devil is definitely a slow burn. Really slow. I enjoyed it though. If only for the last 20 minutes.
Actually saw this last night, really dug it. I can see why people could be put off but the atmospheric slow burn really worked for me

El Topo

Finished the first season of Hemlock Grove. What a shit show. Will still watch the second season, but I think I need a break from all this stupid shit for now.

It's a bit of a shame. I like some of the actors and ideas, I like the setting, but the show never really manages to find the balance. It's all this stuff thrown together and it doesn't quite work that well.

adg1034

Coming in November:

The Blind Swordman: Zatoichi - Meaning the whole series? That'll be interesting, especially given that Criterion (and thus Hulu) are likely involved
The Rocketeer - Fantastic movie
Intefnal Affairs - I might finally get around to seeing this
How to Steal a Million - This is a light romantic heist comedy starring Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn, with music by John Williams. Very 60s, very inconsequential, but a ton of fun.

Nice November slate.

jakncoke

Banned
Supernatural Activity: Knew going into this it'd be bad, But wasnt expecting that much bad.

Resolution: Pretty good movie on friend trying to get his meth'd friend straight and clean and weird shit happening along the way

Grabbers: Possible my first Irish made film, unsure. Would have to poke around around hard I reckon. Decent though. Kinda up Tremors alley with part comedy/part creature

I sell the dead: Decent as well, enjoyed the setting of the movie

Torment: Decent movie involving a family and a crazy cult like group.

For the life of me I can't understand why people like Troll Hunter and why it's considered a horror movie. There's nothing compelling or even remotely horror about it. I've tried three times to sit through it. I fell asleep the first two and walked away bored the third time.

For the life of me I can't understand why people like Troll Hunter and why it's considered a horror movie. There's nothing compelling or even remotely horror about it. I've tried three times to sit through it. I fell asleep the first two and walked away bored the third time.
I fell asleep while watching this one too. Still one of the better found footage films but I'd find it hard to recommend.

I liked it, but I wouldn't call it a horror movie as such.

KzTCJqz.gif

I thought it was fun.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I was able to convince my ex-gf, that Troll Hunter was a documentary, and that they found a real troll. So I like it for that reason.

Troll Hunter is awesome. I love found footage style films and there have been a ton of them since Paranormal Activity did well (Blair Witch is easily the first hit movie with that style but it had died down until PA hit with it). Troll Hunter just nails the style of the film and was super entertaining.

Top Bottom