• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

I liked it, but I wouldn't call it a horror movie as such.

It's been on a lot of the top horror films on Netflix lists I've looked at. That's a bit disturbing for me, as it's not horror. You can't just slap a monster in any old thing and call it horror anymore than you can slap a spaceship in a random movie and call it sci-fi.

Troll Hunter is awesome. I love found footage style films and there have been a ton of them since Paranormal Activity did well (Blair Witch is easily the first hit movie with that style but it had died down until PA hit with it). Troll Hunter just nails the style of the film and was super entertaining.

You and I have different tastes obviously. I thought it was extremely dull, even more so than the last couple of Paranormal Activity movies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today (some might have been up already):

Astonishing X-Men Season Dangerous/Torn (TV, Kids)

Classic Doctor Who Season Carnival of Monsters, City of Death, Horror of Fang Rock, Pyramids of Mars, Spearhead from Space, The Androids of Tara, The Ark in Space, The Aztecs, The Caves of Androzani, The Curse of Fenric, The Green Death, The Leisure Hive, The Mind Robber, The Pirate Planet, The Power of Kroll, The Ribos Operation, The Three Doctors, The Visitation (TV, Drama, SciFi)

Little Man (Comedy)
Hart of Dixie Season 3 (TV, Drama)
Raising Hope Season 4 (TV, Drama)
Supernatural Season 9 (TV, Drama, Supernatural)
The Following Season 2 (TV, Drama, Crime)

Kaladin

Classic Doctor Who Season Carnival of Monsters, City of Death, Horror of Fang Rock, Pyramids of Mars, Spearhead from Space, The Androids of Tara, The Ark in Space, The Aztecs, The Caves of Androzani, The Curse of Fenric, The Green Death, The Leisure Hive, The Mind Robber, The Pirate Planet, The Power of Kroll, The Ribos Operation, The Three Doctors, The Visitation (TV, Drama, SciFi)

Are these new to Netflix or re-ads?

Jimothy

Anyone watching Peaky Blinders? Cillian Murphy's name caught my eye and I decided to give it a go. It's pretty good so far.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Cross posting:

The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico): I was this close to turning off this film mid way through. I felt it wasn't scary or interesting to continue. I'm glad I didn't. Around the start of the second half (or when Daniel is alone), it gets really good and creepy. I jumped a few times. Not the greatest thing in the world, but it is a decent horror movie.

Cross posting:

The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico): I was this close to turning off this film mid way through. I felt it wasn't scary or interesting to continue. I'm glad I didn't. Around the start of the second half (or when Daniel is alone), it gets really good and creepy. I jumped a few times. Not the greatest thing in the world, but it is a decent horror movie.

I actually enjoyed that more than I thought I would.

jakncoke

Banned
Fido: I thought the setting and how it started was going to set up for something interesting, twas not the case.

Haunter: Decent ghost story movie and plays out decently

The Prophecy 3: I guess there is 2 more, But without Walken? Any who the closing movie to this i guess trilogy is just mediocre as the others.

JLG-

Season 2 or Arrow is up.

Wish it had been up sooner so I could of kept up with the show.

MiH1oil.jpg

rezuth

Man, food network and travel channel now on Netflix? I got Bizarre Foods, Good Eats, Mysterous at the museum, Cuttthroat Kitchen, Chopped, No Reservationos and muhc more to fucking watch.. GLORIOUS!

Oh and they added the excellent Peaky Blinders

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

30 for 30: Fernando Nation, Four Days in October, Guru of Go, Into the Wild, Jordan Rides the Bus, June 17th 1994, Kings Ransom, Little Big Men, Marion Jones Press Pause (TV, Documentary, Sports)

30 for 30: Muhammad and Larry, Once Brothers, Pony Express, Run Ricky Run, Silly Little Game, The 16th Man, The Band That Wouldn't Die, The Best That Never Was (TV, Documentary, Sports)

30 for 30: The Birth of Big Air, The House of Steinbrenner, The Price of Gold, The Two Esobars, The U, Tim Richmond to the Limit, Unmatched, Without Bias (TV, Documentary, Sports)

Arrow Season 2 (TV, Drama)
Action Replayy (Comedy, Romantic, Bollywood)
In a World (Indie, Comedy)
Redeemed (Drama, Romantic)

Xater

So I have been trying Netflix for the past few days and while the German selection is a bit lackluster it's so easy to switch regions that I might keep it around.

Man, food network and travel channel now on Netflix? I got Bizarre Foods, Good Eats, Mysterous at the museum, Cuttthroat Kitchen, Chopped, No Reservationos and muhc more to fucking watch.. GLORIOUS!

Apparently it's only for a short time so enjoy them while you can!

El Topo

Finished season two of Hemlock Grove. What an amazing show. Whatever bad things I wrote earlier, forget them. Great show, even when it's really stupid or crappy.
You just need to skip the right parts and ignore when characters behave completely, utterly unrealistically. Also what a fantastically batshit insane, out-of-nowhere ending that season had.

I'd recommend you to check the show out. It's definitely not for everyone, there's definitely a lot of things that might be off-putting, but there's also a lot of likeable stuff in that show.

amrod

The Tomorrow People Season 1 is on netflix usa... It worth watching? I ask because
the CW canceled The Tomorrow People after one season and if it ends on some big cliffhanger i'd be pissed

Finished season two of Hemlock Grove. What an amazing show. Whatever bad things I wrote earlier, forget them. Great show, even when it's really stupid or crappy.
You just need to skip the right parts and ignore when characters behave completely, utterly unrealistically. Also what a fantastically batshit insane, out-of-nowhere ending that season had.

I'd recommend you to check the show out. It's definitely not for everyone, there's definitely a lot of things that might be off-putting, but there's also a lot of likeable stuff in that show.

I liked season two. Season one was pretty average but, they improved upon it a good bit in my opinion.

Cross posting from the Horror thread:

Carrie ('76): It is a different kind of horror movie, more of a supernatural thriller than horror. Sissy's performance is a the main reason to watch it. I thought she was excellent. The movie is a slow burn, so if you hate those, I would probably avoid it.

Carrie ('13): Not only is it a terrible remake, it is a terrible movie. I usually like Chloe Moretz and Julianne Moore, but they were both horrible in this. Especially Moore. The film is almost a shot for shot of the original (lots of lines from the original too). It never really tries to be its own film. Avoid.

This is interesting because, and maybe I'm misremembering but I felt that Cinematically, the remake tried to be different, especially in the beginning. There were also some plot slight plot differences but generally, you're right in that it's the same. The first half of the remake really is just all bad but I thought they did pretty well in the second half with showing Carrie's mentality and what causes the events in the climax to happen. Spacek's Carrie is great but much more meek in all ways while Moretz Carrie has a bigger change in attitude leading up to the climax.

For people who've never seen either, I'd agree with your recommendation but for those that have seen the original, I think the second is worth a watch just to critique the differences in direction and specifically in Carrie's portrayal.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This is interesting because, and maybe I'm misremembering but I felt that Cinematically, the remake tried to be different, especially in the beginning. There were also some plot slight plot differences but generally, you're right in that it's the same. The first half of the remake really is just all bad but I thought they did pretty well in the second half with showing Carrie's mentality and what causes the events in the climax to happen. Spacek's Carrie is great but much more meek in all ways while Moretz Carrie has a bigger change in attitude leading up to the climax.

For people who've never seen either, I'd agree with your recommendation but for those that have seen the original, I think the second is worth a watch just to critique the differences in direction and specifically in Carrie's portrayal.

Maybe it was because I watched both movies so close to each other, that I felt that way about the movie. The whole time, Moretz and Moore never seemed "comfortable" in their characters. Like they were being forced to channel Spacek's and Laurie's versions of Carrie/Mom. Their acting/portray came off as flat.

I also thought Moretz came into her powers more faster than Spacek did. I kinda like the slow pace of Spacek realizing she had a gift, rather than jumping head first into like the remake did. But I'm probably nitpicking.

Maybe it was because I watched both movies so close to each other, that I felt that way about the movie. The whole time, Moretz and Moore never seemed "comfortable" in their characters. Like they were being forced to channel Spacek's and Laurie's versions of Carrie/Mom. Their acting/portray came off as flat.

I also thought Moretz came into her powers more faster than Spacek did. I kinda like the slow pace of Spacek realizing she had a gift, rather than jumping head first into like the remake did. But I'm probably nitpicking.

You're not nitpicking at all. I think that really defines the difference between directors. Carrie is a classic slow burner and the portrayal of Carrie's powers is much smaller in scale. This makes the Climax even more shocking. While the remake dives in head first in a style over substance manner. I really think that's what makes the remake worse than the original. The entire thing is an exercise in style over substance. I'd almost compare it to Lucas going back to the original trilogy and upgrading the special effects except that was as blatant a change and it didn't destroy a key aspect of the movie.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Long Way Down (Indie, Drama)
Breathe In (Indie, Drama)
Changing Hearts (Drama)
Heatstroke (Action)
Hours (Thriller)
Jay Mohr: Funny For a Girl (Standup)
Lalaloopsy Girls: Welcome to L.A.L.A Prep School (Kids)
Swelter (Action)
The Tomorrow People Season 1 (TV, Drama, SciFi)
Winx Club: The Mystery of the Abyss (Kids)
Why Stop Now (Indie, Comedy)

You're not nitpicking at all. I think that really defines the difference between directors. Carrie is a classic slow burner and the portrayal of Carrie's powers is much smaller in scale. This makes the Climax even more shocking. While the remake dives in head first in a style over substance manner. I really think that's what makes the remake worse than the original. The entire thing is an exercise in style over substance. I'd almost compare it to Lucas going back to the original trilogy and upgrading the special effects except that was as blatant a change and it didn't destroy a key aspect of the movie.
However the remake is closer to the book, where Carrie ravages the town with her abilities, killing hundreds.

Finished Cabin in the Woods. Does anyone else wish
they explored the alienish puzzle ball guy more? I was fascinated by him. I could watch a whole (serious) spin off movie about him - where does he come from, what's his killing power, what's his objective, etc

obin_gam

Finished Cabin in the Woods. Does anyone else wish
they explored the alienish puzzle ball guy more? I was fascinated by him. I could watch a whole (serious) spin off movie about him - where does he come from, what's his killing power, what's his objective, etc

Watch Hellraiser

However the remake is closer to the book, where Carrie ravages the town with her abilities, killing hundreds.

I had no idea there was even a book. Interesting. I'll have to look into that.

On another note, I'm watching Friday Night Lights currently. Didn't watch a single episode when it was on air but it's pretty good. It gets cheesy dramatic in some places but overall it's very solid. I'm about 13 or 14 episodes into the first season I think? Also, Bootleg Matt Damon is hilarious in this show.

On another note, I'm watching Friday Night Lights currently. Didn't watch a single episode when it was on air but it's pretty good. It gets cheesy dramatic in some places but overall it's very solid. I'm about 13 or 14 episodes into the first season I think? Also, Bootleg Matt Damon is hilarious in this show.
Yeah, the book was written by Stephen King. The remake was meant to be more of a direct adaption

Kaladin

Had no idea Carrie was a book?

I.....I have no words.

Top Bottom