• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Good to see I'm not the only one that didn't know there was a book.

come-on-gob-arrested-development.gif

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Cross posting from the horror thread:

Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Netflix Mexico): This is a Spanish movie. The English title is called "Witching & Bitching." Although, I don't know how they got that title. I picked this movie randomly while browsing the horror section. It starts off as a heist movie, then things quickly fall apart for the crew. As they run into a town filled with witches.

The movie was a little hard for me to follow since my Spanish isn't that good (and no subtitles). The film isn't strictly a horror movie. It has a good mix of action, horror elements and especially humor. It is a fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Drag me to Hell (Netflix Sweden): A good horror movie. Lots of scares and the story is half-way decent. My biggest gripe is the main actress acting. Pretty bad in some spots, almost laughable in the rest.

Saw II (Netflix Canada): While I think the first Saw is the best in the series, the sequel comes really close to taking the crown. It does, however, have the best "game." The characters are all solid, never really annoying. The games they are put through are gory and crazy as the first. The "twist" isn't as great as the first one, but it is still good. Watch it if you enjoyed the first one.

Saw III (Netflix Canada): For some reason, I remember this being worse than it was (or maybe I'm thinking it was the fourth film). The games the people are put through will make you want to turn your head
like the guy who ran over the guy's kid. Or even the beginning when Matthew is trying to break off his foot.
It is a solid entry in the series, but not as good as the first two. I think this is the film that starts trying to be too clever and connect everything and everyone in some way. Still worth the watch if you are a fan.

Child's Play (Netflix Canada) A classic movie. The movie has a good mix of creepiness/humor. Not really all that scary though.

Scary Movie (Netflix UK) I haven't seen this movie in ages. This is one of the best horror spoofs movies. I was laughing the whole way through. They especially nailed the Dewy spoof. And the line about them canceling The Wayans Bros show was fantastic. The movie puts all of the slasher cliches into the mix and has fun with it. Well worth the watch.

Drag Me to Hell goes to the next level if you follow Patton Oswalt's theory for it: it is an allegory for eating disorders. In fact, the whole movie might be a hunger induced hallucination. Notice the main girl never eats, or when she is about to something awful happens. A lot of stuff gets vomited onto her in the film too, or things are shoved in her mouth. They make a point that she used to be fat, so she has been purging or anorexic so the movie is her imagining these horrible things anytime she wants food.

jakncoke

Banned
Shivers which is one of Cronenberg early works was pretty good

cant remember if i mentioned this one from the weekend but Mountaintop Motel Massacre was decent

Nothing else was decent enough to mention

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

America's Funniest Home Videos: Holidazed, Nincompoop Nation (TV, Reality)
Iron Man & Captain America: Hero United (Action, Animation)

People not knowing Carrie was a book and what Hellraiser is? How do I get off this planet? :)

Most of the Hellraisers are on netflix, wouldn't bother so much with the sequels.

What can I say? I'm not familiar with King's massive library and he's had so many works turned into movies, tv shows, and mini-series it's almost impossible to know without being familiar with his literary catalog. /shrug

Copy from the Halloween movie thread. I've watched these thus far this month and added the rating I gave it on Netflix. My rating system, which is different from Netflix's a bit....
5/5 = great fucking horror
4/5 = entertaining horror
3/5 = average and possibly entertaining at points
2/5 = I did not like this movie
1/5 = I just threw away two hours of my life and I can't get it back

1. Blood Lake - 1/5
2. Ravenous - 3/5
3. Higanjima - 3/5
4. Rosemary's Baby - 4/5
5. The Prophecy: Uprising - 4/5
6. The Reeds - 3/5
7. Carrie (2013) - 4/5
8. Trollhunter - 2/5
9. Cabin Fever: Patient Zero - 2/5
10. The Monkey's Paw - 2/5
11. Wake Wood - 4/5
12. Detention - 1/5
13. Event Horizon - 4/5
14. Scar - 2/5
15. Hatchet II - 2/5
16. The Colony - 4/5

Most of it was shit, unfortunately.

Holmes Inspection is such a great show. This and a bunch of the other HGTV/DIY stuff should be upgraded from Collection status. It's the best thing to happen to Netflix in years, for me.

I could go for all of the Holmes on Homes series, too.

tcrunch

Netflix going hard with it's anime game yo

They also added a French* cartoon called Wakfu. It's a kiddie show the way A:TLA is a kiddie show, it's a little more immature than A:TLA and has some unfortunate stereotypes/issues. The last few episodes are really great though and it's got some funny bits. Also notable the entire series was apparently animated in Flash.

The only decent GIF I could find was kind of a spoiler so I recorded a segment off youtube and made a bad webm of it:
http://a.pomf.se/bwsfxk.webm

*I think you can switch the audio track to English but I watched in French - also using this space to warn you that one of the main characters has no nose

C4Lukins

So recently

In a World 4 out of 5
Bojack Horesman 4
Escape From Alcatraz 3
Carrie 2013 2.5
Print the Legend 4.5
Manhunter 3.5
Cosmos 2.5
Black Rock 3.252
Philadelphia 3.5
Hook 1.25
12 Angry Men 5
The Master 2.5
Reign Over Me 3
Galaxy Quest 4.5
The Elephant Man 4

Netflix going hard with it's anime game yo

Eh, they are a bit on par again with what they had years ago now that they added back Gurran Lagann and added some new shows.

But earlier they also had The Last Exile, Baccano!, Full Metal Panic, FLCL, Monster, Mushi-shi, Ghost in the Shell and The Count of Monte Cristo.

I am not sure if those were all on the same time on there, but most were. Now that they look at that, I don't think they are really back on the same quality as before.

And they really should go after the final episodes of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Also I have seen the first episodes of Wakfu, it looks pretty fun. Animation feels super inconsistent for me, but it has very good looking moments.

Eh, they are a bit on par again with what they had years ago now that they added back Gurran Lagann and added some new shows.

But earlier they also had The Last Exile, Baccano!, Full Metal Panic, FLCL, Monster, Mushi-shi, Ghost in the Shell and The Count of Monte Cristo.

I am not sure if those were all on the same time on there, but most were. Now that they look at that, I don't think they are really back on the same quality as before.

And they really should go after the final episodes of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Also I have seen the first episodes of Wakfu, it looks pretty fun. Animation feels super inconsistent for me, but it has very good looking moments.

They need to get their shit together with lots of missing anime episodes.
Many shows like Black Butler, Spice & Wolf, etc. start on Season 2. WTF?!
Lots of the South American regions have additional anime - mostly old school stuff.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Cross posting from Horror Marathon thread:

Dark Skies (Netflix UK): I picked this at random and was pleasantly surprised by it. The movie is about aliens coming for a family. The movie has a creepy atmosphere and made me jump a few times. Not the greatest CGI in the world, but they keep it to a minimal and use it well. Acting is spotty at best. Overall, I really liked this movie.

Wow, Netflix stock is taking a beating today. I guess the price hike backfired and Netflix lost a ton of subscribers according to the latest financials. The recent HBO and CBS streaming announcements are also bad news for the stock.
I wonder if Netflix will lower prices now?

Wow, Netflix stock is taking a beating today. I guess the price hike backfired and Netflix lost a ton of subscribers according to the latest financials. The recent HBO and CBS streaming announcements are also bad news for the stock.
I wonder if Netflix will lower prices now?

the price went up?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

30 for 30: Bernie and Ernie, Big Shot, Free Spirits, No Mas, Requiem for the Big East, Slaying the Badger, Survive and Advance, This is What They Want, Youngstown Boys (TV, Documentary, Sports)

All American Christmas Carol (Family)
And Then There Was You (Romantic, Drama)
Arpeggio of Blue Steel Season 1 (Anime)
Beethoven's Treasure Tail (Family)
Christmas Crush (Comedy)
Cowgirls n' Angels 1/2(Family, Drama)
Going Blind (Documentary, Biographical/Joseph F. Lovett)
Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau (Documentary, Sports)
History of the Eagles (Documentary, Biographical, Music)
Llo llo (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
Inspector Morse Specials (TV, Crime, Drama)
Is It Just Me? (Indie, Romantic, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
Kotoura-san Season 1 (Anime)
Mine Games (Horror, Supernatural)
More Business of Being Born (Documentary, Cultural)
My Little Monster Season 1 (Anime)
Pinky Dinky Doo Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Play with Me Sesame Season 1 (Kids)
Samurai Famenco Season 1 (Anime)
Sesame Street: Animals and Nature Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Sesame Street: Classics Vol. 1-2 (TV, Kids)
Sesame Street: Creativity and Imagination (TV, Kids)
Sesame Street: Elmo and Friends (TV, Kids)
Sesame Street: Everyday Moments Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Sesame Street: Numbers and Letters Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Sesame Street: Cookie and Friends Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Sesame Street: Elmo and Friends Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Sesame Street: Music and Dance Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Stay (Indie, Drama)
Tim Minchin And The Heritage Orchestra Live (Standup)
The Debt (Thriller)
The Last Letter (Indie, Thriller)
Venus in Fur (Indie, Drama)
Witching & Bitching (Horror, Comedy, Foreign)

kingkitty

I got Amazon Prime for 50 bucks. How's Amazon Video compared to Netflix these days?

I got both of em at the moment. Just through a quick browse, Amazon Video gets some positive marks for having HBO content, although I wonder how long that'll last.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Amazon always fails for their interface. So damn bad. They do have some exclusive content though.

Their PS3 interface is shit.
I got Amazon Prime for 50 bucks. How's Amazon Video compared to Netflix these days?

I got both of em at the moment. Just through a quick browse, Amazon Video gets some positive marks for having HBO content, although I wonder how long that'll last.
Supposedly their 1080p stream is of (marginally) higher quality than Netflix's Super HD.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It's a multi-year deal, so... several more years, at least.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Can somebody please do me a favor?
I'm watching Spaceballs right now, and its the funniest movie I've seen in a couple years, and I want to talk about it and parody films.

Can someone make a thread titled "Will there ever be a parody as good as Spaceballs again?"?

I'll pay you in Mr.Swagbucks if you do. Thank you.

Jag

Can somebody please do me a favor?
I'm watching Spaceballs right now, and its the funniest movie I've seen in a couple years, and I want to talk about it and parody films.

Can someone make a thread titled "Will there ever be a parody as good as Spaceballs again?"?

I'll pay you in Mr.Swagbucks if you do. Thank you.

Parody? Not yet. Frankly all of Mel Brooks parodies are classics (ok, except Men in Tights). I suggest the Mel Brooks Collection. It can be had for very cheap.

Pastry

Banned
Someone posted a website that shows what's on Netflix for all the different countries. Does anyone know what the link was? I can't find it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Coming soon:

Django Unchained
The 100 Season 1
The Debt
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
E-Team
Sons of Anarchy Season 6
The Carrie Dairies Season 2
Wyatt Cenac: Brooklyn

Top Bottom