• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My movie list for the Horror Marathon.
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6) The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
8) Dawn of the Dead ('04, Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada)
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada)
12) Saw III (Netflix Canada)
13) Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Netflix Mexico)
14) Drag me to Hell (Netflix Sweden)
15) Scream 4 (Netflix Sweden)
16) The Craft (Netflix UK)
17) Dark Skies (Netflix UK)
18) Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter (Netflix UK)
19) The Crazies (Netflix UK)
20) You're Next (Netflix US)
21) Day of the Dead (Netflix US)
22) Friday the 13th (2009, Netflix Mexico)
23) Big Ass Spider (Netflix US)
24) Night of the Creeps (Netflix US)
25) Nosferatu (Netflix US)
26) Videodrome (Netflix Mexico)
27) The Exorcist (Netflix Netherlands)
28) Scary Movie 2 (Netflix US)
29)The Taking of Deborah Logan (Netflix US)
30) Gremlins (Netflix Switzerland): After Canoli2006's post on this movie, I checked Netflix and was happy to see it was up. I have not watched this movie since I was (maybe) a young teen. So I was very eager to rewatch it. This movie is still great. I absolutely loved it. On the rewatch, noticed how fucked up the movie was:
the Mom stabbing one of the Gremlins, microwaving one of them, Mrs. Deagley being thrown out the window.
The whole bar scene had me laughing. So good. And I finally understand what the title is referring too.

31) Sleepaway Camp (Youtube)

Left the review for Gremlins, because that is a great film. I plan to watch the second one next weekend since Switzerland has the sequel as well. Hopefully it has aged just as well.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Ethos (Documentary, Cultural)
Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond (TV, Drama, Miniseries)
Ironclad: Battle for Blood (Action, War)
Life in Our Universe Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Science)
Marco Polo (Teaser Trailer, Netflix Original)
Snowpiercer (Action, Thriller, SciFi)
Sordid Lives (Indie, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
Understanding the World's Greatest Structures Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Science)

sdijoseph

I have two questions:

1. I read that Apocalypse Now is being taken down. I was planning to see it at some point, but not really urgently. Is it likely that they will add it back sometime in the next 6 months?

2. Does anyone have a good guess on when Captain America Winter Soldier will be added to Netflix?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Apocalypse Now is one of those movies that gets taken down and added every few months. It will be back.

My guess, CA: WS will hit one of the other regions before it hits US. Not to say it won't come to the US one.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Watched Under the Skin (Canada) tonight, was an interesting movie. Not particularly narrative driven, but beyond the obvious omg nude scenes it's a really strange hypnotic experience with some incredible cinematography. Genuinely messed up at times, there are a few sequences that will stick with me.

It's pretty cool that you can finish a movie even if it has expired. Started up Starman before 12 am PST and I was able to watch it all the way through. I wonder if other streaming services do the same. No idea what the limitations are, I only paused the movie a few times. I imagine if you go back to the menu you lose it. Wonder what happens if your connection temporarily dies.

Damn I got all excited when I went to whatsnewonnetflix and saw Men At Work listed and rushed over to Netflix to add it and realized its a documentary from 2006 and not the Charlie Sheen / Emilio Estevez movie.

jakncoke

Banned
The Taking of Deborah Logan; This style of movie is so overdone but at least this one was slightly entertaining

Black Sunday: Good classic horror. That opening scene, i couldnt imagine what it be like dying that way goddamn

Red State: Was a rewatch, still doesnt do a whole for me still mildly interesting or im just a Kevin Smith fanboy and give his movies the benefit of the doubt

Cabin Fever Patient Zero; So i didnt care for the first one, I believe this is the 3rd one which may or may not have helped this for me. But I found it to be pretty bad lol

Watched Under the Skin (Canada) tonight, was an interesting movie. Not particularly narrative driven, but beyond the obvious omg nude scenes it's a really strange hypnotic experience with some incredible cinematography. Genuinely messed up at times, there are a few sequences that will stick with me.

Yeah definitely a weird movie - ScarJo gets naked a lot. The Hitchcock-style throwback soundtrack was interesting.

Kaladin

Watched Cabin In The Woods last night, don't know how many times I have seen it, but it was my girlfriends first time. She went in expecting a mediocre movie but Whedon's witty dialogue and the way they take the story to the next level brought her around.

I still love the ending to that movie and it's still the best horror film I've seen in a long time.

Kaladin

Added today:

Ethos (Documentary, Cultural)
Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond (TV, Drama, Miniseries)
Ironclad: Battle for Blood (Action, War)
Life in Our Universe Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Science)
Marco Polo (Teaser Trailer, Netflix Original)
Snowpiercer (Action, Thriller, SciFi)
Sordid Lives (Indie, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
The Boondocks Season 3-4 (TV, Animated, Comedy)
Understanding the World's Greatest Structures Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Science)

Holy shit, Snowpiercer is early.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Burt's Buzz (Documentary)
Cleanskin (Thriller)
Portlandia Season 4 (TV, Comedy)
Rain Man (Drama)
Violette (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

Shantom

UK Netflix now has Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (including part 5, which isn't on US Netflix!) and Steins;Gate. I am very happy.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dumb and Dumber has returned!

At least, I think it did. I could swear that it went away at some point.

Kingpin is up, too.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The wife wanted something loud and dumb. I can confirm that Olympus Has Fallen succeeds on both counts.

Ferrio

Banned
Man snowpiercer was pretty bad. That coming from someone who watches a lot of korean flims on netflix. Seems I'm the only one though with this opinion going by rotten tomatoes.

moojito

I just noticed today how netflix will cut out the opening credits and "previously on" stuff if you choose to watch the next episode after the end of the last one. That's pretty nice. Binge watching encouraged, indeed!

Susurrus

I just noticed today how netflix will cut out the opening credits and "previously on" stuff if you choose to watch the next episode after the end of the last one. That's pretty nice. Binge watching encouraged, indeed!

When did this start? That's awesome.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Man snowpiercer was pretty bad. That coming from someone who watches a lot of korean flims on netflix. Seems I'm the only one though with this opinion going by rotten tomatoes.

naw i watched it because of all the hype. thought it was pretty awful

I gave it 2 stars. I thought Liev Schreiber was the main actor but it was just Chris Evans.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

12 Christmas Wishes for My Dog (Family)
A Christmas Wedding (Romantic, Comedy)
A Murder of Crows (Thriller)
Addams Family Values (Family)
Airplane! (Comedy)
American Pie Presents: The Book of Love (Comedy)

Angelina Ballerina: Ballet Dreams, Dancing on Ice, Superstar Sisters, The Nutcacker Sweet, The Silver Locket (Kids)
Antboy (Family, Fantasy)
Arachnophobia (Horror)
Artifact (Documentary, Music/30 Seconds to Mars)
Babes in Toyland (Family)
Baby Boy (Drama)

Barney: A-Counting We Will Go, Barney's Colorful World: Live, Let's Go to the Doctor, Let's Go to the Farm, Let's Make Music, Most Lovable Moments (Kids)

BASEketball (Comedy)
Best Laid Plans (Thriller)
Black Out (Action, Thriller, Foreign)
Bob the Builder: Adventures by the Sea, Dig Lift Haul, Snowed Under, Teamwork, Teamwork Time, The Best of Bob the Builder, The Ultimate Can-Do Crew (Kids)

Borgia Season 3 (TV, Drama)
Bram Striker's Dracula (Horror, Vampire)
Bratz Babyz: The Movie (Family)
Braveheart (Drama)
Breakheart Pass (Action, Western)
Bushido Man: Seven Deadly Battles (Action)

Chasing Christmas (Comedy)
Children's Favorites: Halloween Treats (Kids)
Cleopatra (Drama, Romantic)
Coming Home for Christmas (Family, Drama)
Cyborg (Action, SciFi)

DamNation (Documentary, Social)
Dead Heat (Thriller, Mobster)
DeepStar Six (Thriller, SciFi)
Deuces Wild (Indie, Drama)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Comedy)
Fatal Attraction (Thriller)

Fierce People (Indie, Drama)
Good Will Hunting (Drama)
Hart's War (Drama, War)
How to Steal a Million (Romantic, Comedy)
Infernal Affairs (Action, Thriller, Foreign)

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 9 (TV, Comedy)
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Comedy)
Jennifer 8 (Thriller)
Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie (Family, Animation)
Kingpin (Comedy)
Kipper: Kipper Helps Out, Puppy Love, Tales of Adventure, Water Play)

Little Odessa (Drama)
Live Nude Girls (Indie, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
Love Actually (Romantic, Comedy)
Marmato (Documentary, Cultural)
Mona Lisa Is Missing (Documentary)

Naked As We Came (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
Neurons to Nirvana: Psychedelic Medicines (Documentary, Social)
Night of the Demons 2 (Horror, Supernatural)
Papadopoulos & Sons (Indie, Comedy)
Phase IV (Horror)

Pinocchio ('02, Family)
Road Trip: Beer Pong (Comedy)
RoboCop 2-3 (Action, SciFi)
Samurai Champloo (Anime)
Snow Days (Kids)
Spike (Kids)

Stand By Me (Drama)
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, The Motion Picture (Action, SciFi)
Stretch (Action, Comedy)
The Almighty Johnsons Season 1 (TV, Drama, SciFi)
The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)

The Burbs (Comedy)
The Chronicles of Riddick (Action, SciFi)
Cold Storage (Horror, Thriller)
The Core (Action, SciFi)
The Crimson Cult (Horror, Supernatural)

The Fourth Angel (Thriller)
The Legend of Frosty the Snowman (Family, Animation)
The Preacher's Wife (Romantic, Drama, Faith)
The Quick and the Dead (Action, Western)
The Rocketeer (Action, SciFi)

The Tangerine Bear (Family, Animation)
The White Buffalo (Action, Western)
The Wipers Times (Drama)
The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss Season 1 (TV, Kids)

Thomas & Friends: Come Ride the Rails, Curious Cargo, Go Go Thomas, Merry Christmas Thomas, Misty Island Rescue, Muddy Matters, Splish Splash Splosh, The Greatest Stories, Track Stars, Runaway Kite (TV, Kids)

Total Recall ('90, Action, SciFi)
Trading Mom (Family, Comedy)
Turbulence (Thriller)
Wake Up (Documentary, Social)
Won Ton Ton: The Dog Who Saved Hollywood (Comedy)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (TV, Kids)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It's a bit mad. If you like awkward, stylised and surreal films, you will like this. If any of the above turn you off, you will utterly hate it.

I liked it a lot.

Best description of the film. I thought it was good. Will be one of those film that you either love or hate.

torontoml

Using a DNS I found online for American Netflix, been using the same one for months. Recently though I can only watch one episode then it loads to 25% and eventually says it can't play the title, I have to either reload netflix or reset the network connection to get it working again. Anyone else having similar issues.

Using a DNS I found online for American Netflix, been using the same one for months. Recently though I can only watch one episode then it loads to 25% and eventually says it can't play the title, I have to either reload netflix or reset the network connection to get it working again. Anyone else having similar issues.

you should try out Hola unblocker, it only works for PC.. but it is great and free.

rexor0717

I watched The Doube yesterday, much better than I was expecting it to be. I really liked it actually, and it was pretty funny. Usually I hate the pathetic loser characters, but he was so pathetic that it became funny.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm watching The 100 and it is good so far. Underneath the usually CW tropes, is a decent SciFi show.

I watched The Doube yesterday, much better than I was expecting it to be. I really liked it actually, and it was pretty funny. Usually I hate the pathetic loser characters, but he was so pathetic that it became funny.

I think my favorite scene is when they are both at the restaurant and he orders breakfast. Showed the crazy opposites they are.

rexor0717

I'm watching The 100 and it is good so far. Underneath the usually CW tropes, is a decent SciFi show.

I think my favorite scene is when they are both at the restaurant and he orders breakfast. Showed the crazy opposites they are.
My favorite was the scene where she admitted to him that
she knows that he watches her from his window, but she kinda likes it
. Thats when I knew this movie wasn't going where I thought it would at all.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
In addition to all of the great stuff listed above, Seven is back as well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Was gonna watch St. Elmo's Fire today but apparently Netflix took it down. :/

Ended up watching Mad Max instead. I thought it was pretty good, though totally different than what I had always pictured it being like. I thought it was supposed to be, like, post apocalyptic or something, but it wasn't at all. Or at least, I didn't think the PA-ness really came through very well - outside of some funky cars and messy buildings, society seemed pretty much in tact and not all that different from how things really were in 1979 (the year the movie was made).

I was also surprised by how little action there was and how the entire thing was essentially an
origin story for Max, who, I assume, stays a cold badass for the rest of the series.

I thought Mel Gibson made for an affable lead and the rest of the cast was surprisingly endearing as well. I look forward to checking out the next two in the series. (are they on any of the other regions?)

By the way, do any of the other regions have different animated Disney films?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also watched The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. It was pretty good. I like the direction and cinematography a lot and thought the child actors were quite good.

EDIT 2: I also watched Kon Tiki (2012). I'd seen the original documentary they made in the 50s and was curious to see how the dramatization turned out. It was alright. A little too sensationalized for my tastes and the ultra glossy filter (or whatever) was jarring in the city scenes (though it made the scenes on the raft really pop). I also learned that there are two versions of the film - one in Norwegian and one in English, but the Norway cut is apparently like 20-30 minutes longer and is considered the better version of the film, so it bugged me afterwards that I unknowingly sat through the inferior version of a film that I don't really intend to ever sit through again.

Ended up watching Mad Max instead. I thought it was pretty good, though totally different than what I had always pictured it being like. I thought it was supposed to be, like, post apocalyptic or something, but it wasn't at all. Or at least, I didn't think the PA-ness really came through very well - outside of some funky cars and messy buildings, society seemed pretty much in tact and not all that different from how things really were in 1979 (the year the movie was made).

The Mad Max fiction, society's downfall is pretty gradual. Check out the Road Warrior next. That's much more Post Apocalyptic.

Top Bottom