• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Derek also really took me by surprise. I found the first season to be quite affecting (though the second was only so-so).

I loved the final two eps of the season, especially the Ivor one. I broke down when
they had to put him down, that just gets me.
I'm glad there's still a Christmas special coming up, not ready to say goodbye to the show just yet.

Started House of Cards. I love it, but I feel like a moron when a lot of the political intrige just flies by me, like in the last ep I watched with the collective bargaining plot.

Oculus: When I watched the trailers, I thought it looked stupid and another lame horror flick. I will happily admit I was wrong. This is a really good horror movie. It is a slow burn for the most part, with great atmosphere throughout. More psychological than jump scares. The way the story telling is executed is a nice touch. Reading reviews online, most people seem to have a problem with the ending, but I loved it.

Easily the worst film I saw in theaters this year. I found it pretty dull and predictable. The only part I really liked was when Karen Gillan was
going over the history of the house and the fate of those who used to live there
. The acting was sub-par, especially from the guy and the ending was just awful. Ugh... still disappointed I paid money to see that.

Oculus: When I watched the trailers, I thought it looked stupid and another lame horror flick. I will happily admit I was wrong. This is a really good horror movie. It is a slow burn for the most part, with great atmosphere throughout. More psychological than jump scares. The way the story telling is executed is a nice touch. Reading reviews online, most people seem to have a problem with the ending, but I loved it.
I really liked it too, including the ending. I think I liked it more as a psychological thriller/drama about a family bring torn apart by mental illness than as an actual for-scares horror movie. I thought it was a really smart film overall and it had a nice amount of ambiguity instead of bombarding you with scary Cg demons etc. If you liked this you should check out Absentia which is by the same director.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I loved the final two eps of the season, especially the Ivor one. I broke down when
they had to put him down, that just gets me.
I'm glad there's still a Christmas special coming up, not ready to say goodbye to the show just yet.

Same. That was a hard episode to sit through. :(

And I too am glad it's getting a wrap up special. I don't feel like season 2 wrapped things up as well as it could have.

Started House of Cards. I love it, but I feel like a moron when a lot of the political intrige just flies by me, like in the last ep I watched with the collective bargaining plot.

A lot of the political machinations go over my head too - I find that it's enough to just grasp the gist of things though. Comprehending all the minute details isn't necessary for me to enjoy the drama.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
A lot of the political machinations go over my head too - I find that it's enough to just grasp the gist of things though. Comprehending all the minute details isn't necessary for me to enjoy the drama.

Ok, glad I'm not the only one then. And I agree, I'm ok with just getting the broad strokes. One thing I don't get is what [mid s1]
Frank has to gain in backing Russo for governor, other than having another pawn he can manipulate. I don't see how it's going to help him get higher up, but maybe that'll reveal itself later.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Same here. I tend to dislike political dramas most of the time, but I gave HoC a chance and I'm glad I did.

Bleepey

I 2nd this

I started but didn't finish it and I don't know why. Might have to get to it. I liked the Korean film public enemies but I don't know if it's on Netflix. Does anyone know of any good legal dramas? I liked Primal Fear, the Firm and other shit I can't recall. What's on Netflix that's worth seeing? I can't find My Cousin Vinny.

Meier

Agent Dormer had recommended The Blacklist. We started at 5:30 last night and are on Episode 14 already even with me watching the FSU game last night. Lol.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I thought it was a mess. It started out promising though. I preffered Absentia by the same director.

I do agree that the first half is stronger than the second half. Absentia was a good indie film too. Dragged on a bit, but I really enjoyed it. I didn't know it was the same directors.

Easily the worst film I saw in theaters this year. I found it pretty dull and predictable. The only part I really liked was when Karen Gillan was
going over the history of the house and the fate of those who used to live there
. The acting was sub-par, especially from the guy and the ending was just awful. Ugh... still disappointed I paid money to see that.

The acting from the brother was pretty stiff. But I think the acting from the others were good (except maybe the little boy).

I really liked it too, including the ending. I think I liked it more as a psychological thriller/drama about a family bring torn apart by mental illness than as an actual for-scares horror movie. I thought it was a really smart film overall and it had a nice amount of ambiguity instead of bombarding you with scary Cg demons etc. If you liked this you should check out Absentia which is by the same director.

One of the reasons I enjoyed it. You didn't see them much, but the spots you did, were well done and effective.

I started but didn't finish it and I don't know why. Might have to get to it. I liked the Korean film public enemies but I don't know if it's on Netflix. Does anyone know of any good legal dramas? I liked Primal Fear, the Firm and other shit I can't recall. What's on Netflix that's worth seeing? I can't find My Cousin Vinny.

Check out Philadelphia.

Also, My Cousin Vinny is up in the Netherlands.

Is there anyway on the PS4 app to see everything in a specific category like you could do back on the original PS3 app?

There are so many great things on there you don't even know is on there because they aren't in the selected category bars.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
IM BINGING BREAKING BAD AND IT IS THE BEST SHOW EVER AND IM AFRAID TO TELL ANYOME IM WATCHING IT BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO BE SPOILED SO LALALALALALAL

(I'm almost done with season three already and JESUS this show is good)

Ok, glad I'm not the only one then. And I agree, I'm ok with just getting the broad strokes. One thing I don't get is what [mid s1]
Frank has to gain in backing Russo for governor, other than having another pawn he can manipulate. I don't see how it's going to help him get higher up, but maybe that'll reveal itself later.

Answer from what I remember (it's been a while):
Frank had several angles (he always does) but the main one was trying to get the vice president to actually give up the vice presidency to take over the governorship. He could either control Russo who would have a significant position of power if he won against all odds, or sabotage Russo to force the VP to become the governor, thus opening up the vice presidency for himself.

Kaladin

I watched The Dark Crystal....anyone know if this is an HD remaster? It looks really good for a 1982 movie. I loved the Henson fantasy films, this one holds up quite well.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Answer from what I remember (it's been a while):
Frank had several angles (he always does) but the main one was trying to get the vice president to actually give up the vice presidency to take over the governorship. He could either control Russo who would have a significant position of power if he won against all odds, or sabotage Russo to force the VP to become the governor, thus opening up the vice presidency for himself.

The "giving up" angle didn't come into play until he saw that his original plan had failed though. Frank just wanted a
pawn he controled to be higher up the food chain.
That was his original intentions. The brilliance of Frank is his ability to adjust to whatever situation is thrown his way.

Edwardo

IM BINGING BREAKING BAD AND IT IS THE BEST SHOW EVER AND IM AFRAID TO TELL ANYOME IM WATCHING IT BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO BE SPOILED SO LALALALALALAL

Same, I just started it though. Finished season 2, episode 1. Pretty good so far and everyone keeps telling me it gets even better as it goes on.

sfedai0

Banned
So the wonders of VPN has made Netflix 100 times more useful. Funny thing is that when I visit other countries, Netflix wont let me add stuff to my queue. Its like, we know youre not form around here. Look but dont take.

jakncoke

Banned
2 eps/4 of Wildest Artic, intend on finishing tonight. Some cool shit if you like nature shows. I believe there is a couple other Wildest series on Netflix US as well.

So I've been watching both versions of Anchorman 2 by watching 5 minutes of one, then the same 5 minutes of the next one, and going back and forth. It's fascinating.

sfedai0

Banned
Is it just me or did HD option completely disappear on PC? Im in the US, and it seems the option to turn on or off HD streaming is completely gone.

Oh how I wish I could watching that show for the first time again.

It's the only show I've watched multiple times. Usually that's too much of a time commitment but Breaking Bad is just that good.

I though season 3 of The Killing was damn good, but season 4 is fucking amazing. I'd say anyone on the fence with this show should skip straight to season 3, because the mystery in S 1&2 got stretched out way too long. S 3 and 4 are so refined. Although I am kinda chuckling at some of the trademark "Netflix Original" product placement in scenes and dialog. I don't mind though because it is kinda charming in an odd way.

Slacker

I though season 3 of The Killing was damn good, but season 4 is fucking amazing. I'd say anyone on the fence with this show should skip straight to season 3, because the mystery in S 1&2 got stretched out way too long. S 3 and 4 are so refined. Although I am kinda chuckling at some of the trademark "Netflix Original" product placement in scenes and dialog. I don't mind though because it is kinda charming in an odd way.

Glad to see this. I watched the first two seasons then bailed out because I wasn't thrilled with the conclusion. I'll get back on board.

Chris1

Oh god, judging by your response I don't think you'll be able to handle watching S4 & S5 lol. It hasn't even got got half as good as it becomes later on in s3.. I wish I could rewatch it all over again without knowing anything :(

The last season especially of BB has ruined every other show for me on TV. Not even True detective, as much as I enjoyed that, thought was anywhere near as good as BB.

Glad to see this. I watched the first two seasons then bailed out because I wasn't thrilled with the conclusion. I'll get back on board.

Same, stopped after S2.. Maybe I'll jump back in aswell.

I could not agree more with this. Season four was fantastic.

Started Twin Peaks last night, on episode 8 of the first season.
Not sure how im feeling about it, its pretty boring at times and there are so many terrible characters cramped in.
However I am really liking Agent Cooper.

Kaladin

Netflix wants to be available everywhere within the next five years, with an even larger roster of home-grown media. In a conference yesterday, chief content officer Theodore Sarandos said the company hopes to have "as many as 20 original series" running alongside syndicated shows like Friends and original movies such as the sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Sarandos explained that Netflix aims to premiere new content every two-and-a-half weeks or so. He was also quick to note that these shows won't necessarily cater to everyone, but would instead be intended for different segments of Netflix's viewership. The Netflix executive said that he doesn't feel compelled to see the next crop of shows perform as well as House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, adding that creating "shows for everybody all the time" is risky. "We're trying to create shows for the audience that will love it," he observed.

Netflix hopes to have as many as 20 original series running in five years

All your content are belong to us.

Nyx

I loved 1 & 2 too actually, now at ep 8 in S3 and I love this even more so.

Great series.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Started Twin Peaks last night, on episode 8 of the first season.
Not sure how im feeling about it, its pretty boring at times and there are so many terrible characters cramped in.
However I am really liking Agent Cooper.
Don't forget it's a parody on soap-opera's.
And a psychological horror comedy. And a Dramatic Thriller. With some other truly weird stuff.

But terrible characters? Oof. I thought they where all really great, with some interesting character-arcs. Impressive acting from time to time. (Bob is incredibly scary)
Just finished watching the series two day's ago, actually, and I loved it. An enormously atmospheric trip through a wonderful little town and it's horrific, bizarre darker side. I immediately felt the urge to watch it all over again, which only Chuck has been able to do for me thus far. (something completely different, I know)

Planning on watching Fire, Walk With Me today. Heard some really mixed things about that one. Intrigued.
I've had no experience with David Lynch's work before this, but I'm really interested in his work as a director thanks to Season 1. It really impressed me. His lack of influence in Season 2 was very noticeable. Still a great season, though. I actually liked the "pointless" episodes, thanks to the earlier mentioned atmosphere and wonderful characters. Great casting as well. Andy's such a wonderful schmuck.

Kaladin

New content every two weeks is ambitious.

I was especially intrigued by the part where they don't feel compelled to just produce shows for everyone.

I'm all for more genre entertainment, even if it's Dirty House Wives of Insert City Here Series 59.

sfedai0

Banned
I was especially intrigued by the part where they don't feel compelled to just produce shows for everyone.

I'm all for more genre entertainment, even if it's Dirty House Wives of Insert City Here Series 59.

Are you sure you're reading it correctly? Thats exactly what theyre doing. They will be focusing on different genres so there will be something that each person might find appealing.

Kaladin

Are you sure you're reading it correctly? Thats exactly what theyre doing. They will be focusing on different genres so there will be something that each person might find appealing.

The Netflix executive said that he doesn't feel compelled to see the next crop of shows perform as well as House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, adding that creating "shows for everybody all the time" is risky. "We're trying to create shows for the audience that will love it," he observed.

What I mean, I like that they're not striving to create shows that EVERYONE will like. They're willing to make those genre shows that only appeal to a niche pocket of their subscribers and thus provide more variety.

Bleepey

Just watched my cousin Vinny, damn it was a good film. Almost welled up at the ending. i can't believe Marissa Tomei was not keen on doing the sequel, I could see potential for it.

Top Bottom