• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Kaladin

I usually refrain from Watching films made before the 1980s but I heard so many good reviews for Witness for the Prosecution I had to give it a try. Pretty good. I didn't see the twist coming
even if I thought the murderer was a bit of an idiot at the end

You miss out on a lot of good things this way.

So I'm LTTP but if you haven't seen it check out Fargo. I saw it on a list of top 100 movies of all time on some website and decided to sink my teeth into it. Holy cow, that movie is incredible. I don't know if a film I've seen has had such a command of tension, misdirection, and believably real characters, exaggerated accents and all. Do yourself a favor and check it out if you're as out of date as I am.

(I was 5 when this film was released.)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lost in Translation is one of my favorite moves ever, but I have never really heard anything good about Sofia Coppola's other films. How is Somewhere?

I don't know if it's on Netflix, but The Bling Ring wasn't very good.

I usually refrain from Watching films made before the 1980s

ANdX9hC.gif

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I don't mind.

I haven't seen most in awhile, so I don't know how well they hold up, but on Netflix:

Mad Max
Serpico
12 Angry Men
Escape From Alcatraz
Rocky
Saturday Night Fever
Once Upon a Time in the West
Patton
The Lady Vanishes
The Longest Day
Death Race 2000
Fantastic Voyage

Kaladin

What films made before the 80s would you recommend?

12 Angry Men is good. But that one is really old. A bunch of Hitchcock movies too. I really don't remember which movies I have seen are from before the 80s.

I heard Star Wars was cool.

Escape From Alcatraz is good, Once Upon a Time in the West is good if you like westerns. Also the original True Grit is on there. Sometimes they through Eastwood's Man With No Name Trilogy on there. The early Bond movies are great.

Tons of stuff.

Also, if you haven't seen it, highly recommend the original Jaws movie.

Escape From Alcatraz is good, Once Upon a Time in the West is good if you like westerns. Also the original True Grit is on there. Sometimes they through Eastwood's Man With No Name Trilogy on there. The early Bond movies are great.

Tons of stuff.

Also, if you haven't seen it, highly recommend the original Jaws movie.

Seems to be I should see Escape from Alcatraz with the other recommendation too, been tempted a few times but it had a low amount of starts as a recommendation for me on Netflix.

Seen a couple of the other movies though, sadly haven't taken the chance to see Jaws yet.

EDIT: Oh shit, Apocalypse Now is before 1980 too. And Alien! And The Warriors. I probably could go on for a while like this if I keep going in descending order.

Kaladin

I haven't seen most in awhile, so I don't know how well they hold up, but on Netflix:

Mad Max
Serpico
12 Angry Men
Escape From Alcatraz
Rocky
Saturday Night Fever
Patton
The Lady Vanishes
The Longest Day
Death Race 2000
Fantastic Voyage

Mad Max surprisingly doesn't hold up as well.

Bleepey

Mad Max
Serpico
12 Angry Men
Escape From Alcatraz
Rocky
Saturday Night Fever
Patton
The Lady Vanishes
The Longest Day
Death Race 2000
Fantastic Voyage

Guess I will have to be giving some of these a try. Most of the time I am unsure as to what to watch I go to Gmepodcast.com and see what looks interesting.

Just watched Knights of Badassdom and it was actually pretty dope. It stars Ryan Kwanten (True Blood), Peter Dinklage, Steve Zahn, Summer Glau, and and bunch of actors that will make you say "Oh it's THAT dude."

Nice comedy/action movie made with a smaller budget. Think fantasy/larp version of Fanboys with just a touch of Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny.

I started watching KofB and I was enjoying it, but then I got turned off by the gore...it seemed out of place in a light comedy. I'm just not a horror guy.

Hey. So using Hola Unblocker to watch shows from another region...that's not going to get my account in any trouble is it? I share my account with my family, and I'd hate to get it locked or something because I wanted to pretend I'm Canadian and watch Happy Endings.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hey. So using Hola Unblocker to watch shows from another region...that's not going to get my account in any trouble is it? I share my account with my family, and I'd hate to get it locked or something because I wanted to pretend I'm Canadian and watch Happy Endings.

Been using it (Unblock Us) for a year, no problems.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit - The French Connection is up in Canada.

EDIT: Oh shit, Apocalypse Now is before 1980 too. And Alien! And The Warriors. I probably could go on for a while like this if I keep going in descending order.

A big yes for this one. It isn't on the American Netflix, but I believe it is in Canada.

The Godfather
The French Connection

Godfather movies too. Which I think is up somewhere.

Mad Max surprisingly doesn't hold up as well.

I agree, the first one has not aged well. The sequel is still great. though.

I have to rewatch it. I remember the sequel a bit better than the first one.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

At The Devil's Door (Horror, Supernatural)
Beyond the Hills (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
Cam2Cam (Thriller)
Dear Dumb Diary (Family)
Magi: The Kingdom of Magic (Anime)
My Little Pony: Rainbow Rocks (TV, Kids)
Pee-wee's Playhouse Season 1-5 (TV, Kids)
Ragnarok (Action, SciFi, Foreign)
Santa Claws (Family)
Star Trek: Generations (Action, SciFi)
The Dark Matter of Love (Documentary, Biographical)
The Honorable Woman Season 1 (TV, Documentary)
Timeline (Action, SciFi)
What Now? Remind Me (Documentary, Biographical/Joaquim Pinto)

Laekon

Somehow found "Long way around" what a great show. It stars Ewan Mcgregor and his friend riding a bike from London to New York. It's like an idiot abroad but with intelligent people. Beautiful landscape and people. What they went through was damn impressive. About to start long way down where they ride down to the tip of Africa.

I enjoyed both of these. Made me wish I had enough money for a BMW GS bike. Oh and knew how to drive a motorcycle.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Batman ('89): I haven't seen this movie since I was little, so I was looking forward to it. It is a good film, but the best comic book movie out there, but it is enjoyable. The biggest thing for me is how the fuck can people say Jack's Joker was better than Ledger's Joker with a straight face. Not even a contest, Ledger all the way.

Batman ('89): I haven't seen this movie since I was little, so I was looking forward to it. It is a good film, but the best comic book movie out there, but it is enjoyable. The biggest thing for me is how the fuck can people say Jack's Joker was better than Ledger's Joker with a straight face. Not even a contest, Ledger all the way.

I think it's nostalgia. If you go back and watch them one after another Ledger is by far the better Joker. Hell, his version of the Joker might have been the best villain in a movie I've seen. If not the best, one of the top 10 for me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think it's nostalgia. If you go back and watch them one after another Ledger is by far the better Joker. Hell, his version of the Joker might have been the best villain in a movie I've seen. If not the best, one of the top 10 for me.

Nostalgia could be the reason. Jack was pretty much playing himself at the beginning. And even when he was the Joker, some of Jack made it through. I definitely agree with that statement. Easily one of the best villians to hit the big screen.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finished American horror story s3, what were the Thoughts on it? In my personal opinion I think I might be my favorite so far

Surprising to hear. Since a lot of people seem to hate it. I think I will start it tonight. I put it off because of the negative buzz.

Surprising to hear. Since a lot of people seem to hate it. I think I will start it tonight. I put it off because of the negative buzz.
Yeah I was kinda surprised too, I saw some negative reaction so didn't know what to expect. I've got some small personal criticism of the first 2 season Though. Who knows you might totally hate s3 haha

Pluto

I liked it too, it wasn't as good as Asylum but I thought it was entertaining, although some plotlines seemed to be completely unnecessary at the end and probably shouldn't have happened it was still a fun season with great performances.

El Topo

Finished American horror story s3, what were the Thoughts on it? In my personal opinion I think I might be my favorite so far

I liked it, but felt that they wasted a ton of potential with the season. They could (and should) have spent more work on some of the plotlines though. That said, we got (spoilers S3)
a witch using a chainsaw to cut zombies into pieces
, so I can't complain.

Maaan, never get put off a show/movie on Netflix because of reception. Especially on a forum. People are very picky and never hesitate to trash.. well.. anything. But when it comes to Netflix.. there's really nothing to lose in giving stuff a shot. I mean a one or two episodes or 30-45 minutes into a movie isn't much of an investment to make imo and you just may end up enjoying it. If not, then at least you gave it a shot and you can move on to something else.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Maaan, never get put off a show/movie on Netflix because of reception. Especially on a forum. People are very picky and never hesitate to trash.. well.. anything. But when it comes to Netflix.. there's really nothing to lose in giving stuff a shot. I mean a one or two episodes or 30-45 minutes into a movie isn't much of an investment to make imo and you just may end up enjoying it. If not, then at least you gave it a shot and you can move on to something else.

Don't get me wrong, I planned on watching it at some point, I just put it down in the pecking order.

I watched the first episode tonight. I was under the impression that
this took place in Salem (or at least around that time period).
Kinda disappointed that is not the case. But the story seems interesting. Jessica looks to be as great as ever.

rexor0717

Just watched We Are the Best!, a movie about a 3 punk rock girls in Sweden. What a great movie. Maybe the best child acting I've seen which makes the characters feel so alive and their friendship so real. Watch this movie!

Just watched We Are the Best!, a movie about a 3 punk rock girls in Sweden. What a great movie. Maybe the best child active I've seen which makes the characters feel so alive and their friendship so real. Watch this movie!

what the hell, I had no idea this was on Netflix! I've been meaning to watch this for a while now.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hours: Random watch. Didn't know much about the film going in, but it was decent. Paul Walker was great, but he had to be, given that
it is just him acting alone for the majority of the film.
The story/plot can be a bit of a drag in some parts. If you are a fan of his, I think it is worth the watch.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
HOF1eKd.png

Is this new? Works normally after you click continue.

I tried to watch Amazon prime in Iceland, got a license error on my fire and couldn't watch videos on the fire again. Just prime. Factory reset, two firmware upgrades and several system updates - still borked.

Don't do what I did, GAF.

It was my least enjoyed of the first three series. It's not a bad series but, it just wasn't as enjoyable as the first two for me. A lot of lost potential in my opinion.

Top Bottom