• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

NolbertoS

Hey Canada GAFers. I've decided to try and setup a US netflix account. Does anybody have a tutorial on what websites to use to mask IP addresses?? I used a free Netflix Canada trial period and not impressed by it. Any help is welcomed. And do I need a US billing address to set this up?? Thanks.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hey Canada GAFers. I've decided to try and setup a US netflix account. Does anybody have a tutorial on what websites to use to mask IP addresses?? I used a free Netflix Canada trial period and not impressed by it. Any help is welcomed. And do I need a US billing address to set this up?? Thanks.

Sign up for an account in Canada. Use one of the VPNs listed in the OP. Enjoy the movies.

calder

You don't need to bother with a US Netflix account, as long as you're in the US (or, more accurately, your device playing Netflix *looks* like it is in the US) when you connect then you'll get the US store regardless of whether you're account has a Canadian address and credit card. Or the UK store or whatever one you want.

If you're willing to spend a few more dollars a month, I suggest Unblock.us as a paid proxy. Works great, easy to switch between regions on whatever computer or device you use (with Chromecast as a big exception).

Bottom line is Netflix doesn't actually give a shit where you are or whether you're skirting their regions. As long as you're giving them money they clearly aren't trying too hard to enforce geographic boundaries.

Aiii

So not worth it
I use Unblock on a Chromecast actually. You need to be able to make static routes on your router though to block the Google DNS from accessing the internet, the Chromecast will then be forced to use the DNS configured in your routers internet settings instead (which you've changed to Unblock's) of course.

Unfortunately not all routers have this function, Asus's do though, which happen to be the best routers on the market right now... But that's beside the point.

Bleepey

I am presently going through a John Grisham adaptation phase, adaptations of his shit seem to be consistently good rivalling Stephen King's adaptations for quality.

Edit: 30 mins into the Client, I really like it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Home Alone 2 (Mexico):. Brought me back to my younger days. Haven't seen this movie in awhile. Marv should've died several times throughout this movie. The brick and electrocuting scenes still made me cry from laughter. Great movie.

Wag

I just watched War of the Worlds: Goliath. What an odd movie. I sort of liked it. It takes place in an alternate earth, right after the HG Wells story, in a steampunk universe. The animation is halfway decent too. Worth a watch.

I thought Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones was awful. It started off alright and I liked
when they went into the downstairs apartment. But when all the magical stuff started happening I was kind meh. And the Simon stuff was dumb.
To be honest I didn't even finish the last 20 mins and quit early because it totally wasn't doing much for me. I just felt bored.

Digging Marco Polo though. Only seen 2 episodes but I am amazed at how lush the visuals are in this show. As a big history buff I am enthralled.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I just recently watched The Act of Killing.

The_Act_of_Killing_(2012_film).jpg

Filmmakers expose the horrifying mass executions of accused communists in Indonesia and those who are celebrated in their country for perpetrating the crime.

Holy fuck, what a depressing and interesting documentary. I've always been a huge fan of history but for some reason never really studied Indonesia or the countries history. The Act of Killing follows a couple of "gangsters" who would round up Communists, Chinese and others and executed them en mass.

This dude in particular, Anwar Congo, is a very interesting and is the guy the documentary follows him the most.

ActofKilling-Strangle.jpg

Major Spoilers for the ending:

At first he brags about all the evil he's commited but toward the end of the movie he describes how he can't sleep and how he can see the faces of some of the people he killed. The last scene shows him going back to a spot where he executed hundreds of people and he starts reminiscing, crying and gagging/throwing up as he thinks about what he's done.

The thing that struck me was I don't know if he was being sincere. It's impossible to tell either way, but a lot of the movies themes/scenes are him recreating acts he did, and he would always bring up the point about how the communists would want to ban American movies.

Anyone who's seen this have an opinion on that?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I thought Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones was awful. It started off alright and I liked
when they went into the downstairs apartment. But when all the magical stuff started happening I was kind meh. And the Simon stuff was dumb.
To be honest I didn't even finish the last 20 mins and quit early because it totally wasn't doing much for me. I just felt bored.

It could be slow and boring in some parts, but overall, I thought it was good. Finish the last 20 minutes, because a lot of craziness happens.

Nice try, but I block the Google DNS in my router, tough luck studios.

They've been doing that google DNS shit for a few months now. You can block google DNS on your router and get around it.

Oh thank god.

I just recently watched The Act of Killing.

Holy fuck, what a depressing and interesting documentary. I've always been a huge fan of history but for some reason never really studied Indonesia or the countries history. The Act of Killing follows a couple of "gangsters" who would round up Communists, Chinese and others and executed them en mass.

This dude in particular, Anwar Congo, is a very interesting and is the guy the documentary follows him the most.

*snip*

Anyone who's seen this have an opinion on that?

Love, love, love this documentary. It is both interesting and a dark look into what humans are capable of doing to each other. I already knew before going into the doc that humans were fucked up, but there is something about getting a first hand account of that kind of stuff that just hits you in the face.

Anwar, man, half of me hates the guy, the other half is conflicted since Anwar is a likeable and charming guy. Mainly since you can see that he feels horrible for the things he has done. It doesn't in any shape or form forgive him of those killings though. I understand that the environment he grew in helped shape him into what he became.

By far one of the best documentaries I have seen.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Good People (Action)
Nymphomaniac: The Director's Cut Volume I (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
Nymphomaniac: The Director's Cut Volume II (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
Mardaani (Action, Foreign)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watched Shutter Island, liked it a lot. Already one of my favorite Scorcese movies. It grabbed me from the first minute and didn't let go, even though the twist was kind of obvious. It didn't feel cheap though, which is important. There's maybe a bit too much exposition near the end, but otherwise it's an excellent film. Loved the (ambiguous) ending too.

Watched Shutter Island, liked it a lot. Already one of my favorite Scorcese movies. It grabbed me from the first minute and didn't let go, even though the twist was kind of obvious. It didn't feel cheap though, which is important. There's maybe a bit too much exposition near the end, but otherwise it's an excellent film. Loved the (ambiguous) ending too.

I watched Shutter Island and Inception back-to-back in the theater. The two movies are one and the same in my mind, forever melded together.

I know its not netflix but I know a lot of people have Amazon as well so I thought I'd recomend Brody Stevens: Enjoy it.

A really well done documentary and an interesting look at mental illness and comedy. Did not expect that being done by comedy central, really impressed they took a chance on this. Well worth your time

iuuk

Shutter Island isn't about the twist (or turns) though, which is why I liked it a lot more than a lot of other recent movies (like Inception, which is the obvious comparisson). You could easily figure out the twist in the first half hour of the movie, but it's about why more than what. I loved it because of the ending,
when Leonardo (forgot the characters name) realises everything and accepts/wants his punishment. I didn't think it was that ambiguous though, it's the only real interpretation for me (personally).

I was afraid it was going to be about that (in my mind at that time) half assed twist, but that made the ending even better. It twisted the twist.

Hey guys, what are some good anime on Netflix?

Eureka Seven is one of my favorite animes I have seen in years. It might seem light-hearted at first, but once the plot starts going there is some amazing drama. It also has some fascinating science fiction themes. Memorable and charming characters. One of the most memorable primary antagonists too. It's 50 episodes long. First half is good, but it finishes incredibly strong. Best of all the animation is a joy to look at with lots of flashy and colorful action scenes. It's the best anime on Netflix now IMO.

Asbel

So I'm watching S1 E1 of Black Mirror... I thought this was supposed to be creepy?

The PM has to fuck a pig! LMAO

I watched 2 episodes of this. It's as if youtube commentors ran the world, this is what it would be like. Was hoping for a more nuanced take on the flaws of technology.

Hey guys, what are some good anime on Netflix?

Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood are among the best anime shows out there. Brotherhood is newer and has much better action and is preferred by most people, trouble is that the last 13 episodes or so are not on Netflix.

Hunter X Hunter. Very fun action anime. Every arc feels pretty different, but not all episodes are on there, only 100.

Welcome to the NHK. Lots of humor, pretty unique premise.

Samurai Champloo. Amazing, from the director who also did Cowboy Bebop, which is probably about the best received anime out there.

Death Note. First half is a lot better than the second half, but a very compelling show.

Gurren Lagann is probably my favorite show. Just mecha fights that keep increasing in scale.

Too bad Netflix has removed a lot of good anime.

I watched 2 episodes of this. It's as if youtube commentors ran the world, this is what it would be like. Was hoping for a more nuanced take on the flaws of technology.

Each episode is different. You should definitely give Ep 3 a shot as well as Ep 1 of S2. Those are the most intriguing imo. Ep2 of S2 is solid as well.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Behaving Badly (Comedy)
Child of God (Indie, Drama, Crime)
Comedy Bang! Bang! Season 3 (TV, Comedy)
I, Frankenstein (Horror, Supernatural)
Jessie Season 3 (TV, Kids)
Labor Day (Indie, Drama, Romantic)
LFO: The Movie (SciFi, Foreign)
Maron Season 2 (TV, Comedy)
Plastic (Action)

I dont know, maybe its just me, but for me, this is a great show and I'm gonna watch S3 immediately.

Is that the pig / Prime Minister episode? If so, fuck that episode. I wouldn't say it creeped me out but its haunting and it sticks with you.

No, it is the one where everything is turned into a game and you earn credits for all sorts of things that you need to use for everything.

I think there was a thread about this episode not too long ago. That thread and this post will ensure I watch it tonight.

It is an amazing episode. Best one imo. Although I still need to watch one and a half episodes.

EDIT: Hmn, now to decide what show to watch with my family. Happy Valley or Broadchurch.

It is an amazing episode. Best one imo. Although I still need to watch one and a half episodes.

EDIT: Hmn, now to decide what show to watch with my family. Happy Valley or Broadchurch.
The writing/acting is much better in Happy Valley. Though Broadchurch is a good watch, I look forward to series two.

The writing/acting is much better in Happy Valley. Though Broadchurch is a good watch, I look forward to series two.

I agree. Happy Valley > Broadchurch. It's way more intense that's for sure.
It starts a bit slow - like all boilers - but holy crap at the start of episode 3!!! I jumped out of my chair and was like WTF???!!! Then it goes full throttle.

Highly recommended if you like Luther, The Killing, The Fall, Top of the Lake, Broadchurch, etc.

Top Bottom