• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Marco Polo: I really, really enjoyed this series. It is visually stunning and the camera work/cinematography routinely blows you away. They did an amazing job on that front. The production - everything from the costumes, the sets/structures, the use of CGI, and the music/sound - was top notch. Truth be told, it is probably worth watching the show just for this aspect of it.

The Khan, Hundred Eyes and Jia Sidao were the best characters. Without a doubt though, The Khan steals the show and every scene he is in. Benedict Wong did a superb job. The rest of the characters and acting was great. I think most people would be hard-pressed to find a character they hate. And the closest thing to a unlikeable character might be Marco. To be fair, his character/arc gets a bit better as the series goes on. And by episode 10, I was both rooting for him and happy for him.

As for the plot/story/dialogue, I think the majority would agree it could be better. For me, it improved as it went on. It is the only downside for the show and probably one that will keep people from watching.

I will say this, watch the show. Even if you think it is boring/stupid/whatever, watch the show. For two reasons: 1) The visual eye candy. It is that good. 2) The show took a risk casting an international cast. It was one of the reasons I enjoyed it. The actors did a phenomenal job. If the show were to fail commercially, Hollywood first thought isn't going to be "it was the story that failed to capture an audience", I bet the first thought is going to be "not enough white people." For this reason alone, I think it is important to support the show.

This is a diamond in the rough and I hope Netflix gives it another shot.

Asbel

Each episode is different. You should definitely give Ep 3 a shot as well as Ep 1 of S2. Those are the most intriguing imo. Ep2 of S2 is solid as well.

You were right. I liked how they show tech doesn't always makes us happier. Don't know why the other episodes make the general public almost completely immoral.

You were right. I liked how they show tech doesn't always makes us happier. Don't know why the other episodes make the general public almost completely immoral.

Yeah it definitely does give a strong vibe of being a statement on humanity rather than technology. But really the focus for some of those other episodes is the power that we don't realize that technology has and how our obsession with it could lead to some pretty disturbing things if we're not careful.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Episode 2 creeped me out more than anything.

It is an amazing episode. Best one imo. Although I still need to watch one and a half episodes.

The first two of season two are the best IMO. Or the ones that aren't the white bear.

The one where they record everything is good too

Do it. Episode is great!

Just to make sure, you guys were talking about episode 2 from season 1, right?

Because, while I do agree it was pretty great, it was far from creepy.

I will be watching the rest of the show. It looks like it is right up my alley.

Just to make sure, you guys were talking about episode 2 from season 1, right?

Because, while I do agree it was pretty great, it was far from creepy.

I will be watching the rest of the show. It looks like it is right up my alley.

Yeah, I don't really agree with the show being creepy.

Season 2 episode 2 is creepy though, but most episodes aren't.

I think that Brooker was going for a lampoon of the media in those first two episodes and I would agree that they're more cartoonish and daft than anywhere near 'horror'. Maybe it's particular to the UK or Charlie Brooker in particular, but that kind of lurid parody of media tropes is a tradition on UK TV.

IMO, the public is only as moral as the media allows them to be, and that's what the pigfucker and X-Factor episodes are looking at. If the media pushed this hard, you'd probably still watch it.

At it's best, Black Mirror examines the way technology could lead to nightmarish situations. It kind of falls apart if you interrogate it too much, there's no way that kind of tech would be allowed to exist (the recent xmas ep in particular), but I still find it a thought provoking exercise in following an idea to its worst conclusion.

jts

...hate me...
Has anyone watched Mr. Nobody? Such a hidden gem.

If you like love stories and unconventional timelines, such as The Fountain, Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind or Groundhog Day, if you appreciate good quirky european productions like Submarine, watch this.

If you like love stories and unconventional timelines, such as The Fountain, Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind or Groundhog Day, if you appreciate good quirky european productions like Submarine, watch this.

Will add to my cue.

Asbel

I think that Brooker was going for a lampoon of the media in those first two episodes and I would agree that they're more cartoonish and daft than anywhere near 'horror'. Maybe it's particular to the UK or Charlie Brooker in particular, but that kind of lurid parody of media tropes is a tradition on UK TV.

IMO, the public is only as moral as the media allows them to be, and that's what the pigfucker and X-Factor episodes are looking at. If the media pushed this hard, you'd probably still watch it.

At it's best, Black Mirror examines the way technology could lead to nightmarish situations. It kind of falls apart if you interrogate it too much, there's no way that kind of tech would be allowed to exist (the recent xmas ep in particular), but I still find it a thought provoking exercise in following an idea to its worst conclusion.

I think the media is only as moral as the public allows since it's the public that decides what gets ratings. So if public morals fell, it's what the public wanted.

I didn't like it mainly cuz I didn't care for the protagonist and I think the butterfly effect makes little sense.

Salsa

first half of season 3 of comedy bing bong starring stock photoman is now on netflix

weird they're doing it in halves

AkuMifune

Banned
Have people been recommending Mystery Road? Awesome Aussie thriller. Slow burn, but a brilliantly menacing Hugo Weaving performance. Just realized it was added to Netflix (recently?)

Especially if you're into The Killing, Top of the Lake, Happy Valley kind of ish.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Anyone know of any New Year-themed movies on US Netflix?

Enco

I usually don't like romance movies but Mr Nobody was great.

Have people been recommending Mystery Road? Awesome Aussie thriller. Slow burn, but a brilliantly menacing Hugo Weaving performance. Just realized it was added to Netflix (recently?)

Especially if you're into The Killing, Top of the Lake, Happy Valley kind of ish.

Thanks - added to my list. I'm thinking of watching Hinterland too.

Gray Matter

Just finished this, and I liked it. Really slow, like really. Nothing big happened until the
shootout at the end.
but I would like some clarification as to what exactly was happening.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Daughters of Dolma (Documentary, Faith)
Last Weekend (Comedy)
Memphis (Drama)
Miele (Drama)
Persecuted (Drama, Faith)
The Decent One (Documentary, Biographical/Heinrich Himmler, Foreign)
This Ain't No Mouse Music (Documentary, Biographical/Chris Strachwitz, Music)
Winter in the Blood (Drama)

Saw Pontypool last night. I liked the first half, had an eerie tone. Hearing about the outbreak from a detached perspective, slowly getting scraps of info, gave the movie an unique creepy atmosphere

And then the second half happened. From the moment the walking exposition aka Doctor Mendez crawled through the window out of nowhere, to the ridiculous premise behind the outbreak and way of defeating the virus, it just lost all tension and creepy vibes. It was so stupid. I guess they were going for a humorous tone? But at least for me, it didn't work at all

jakncoke

Banned
Started up Californication last night. Pretty funny so far and lol damn im like 5 episodes in and already been like 10 different woman nude.

Diablos

The Waldo episode made me feel more sad than creeped out.

Have lots to say about this show, but I'm too tired at the moment. It definitely lives up to the hype.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It's been on Netflix forever but I just now watched Mary & Max. Very charming and sweet claymation film.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Beneath the Darkness (Thriller)
Finding Fela (Documentary, Biographical/Fela Anikulapo-Kuti)
Queens of the Ring (Comedy)
The Outsider (Action)
The Pink Panther 2 (Family, Comedy)
Totally Spies! Season 1 (TV, Kids)

Added today:

Beneath the Darkness (Thriller)
Finding Fela (Documentary, Biographical/Fela Anikulapo-Kuti)
Queens of the Ring (Comedy)
The Outsider (Action)
The Pink Panther 2 (Family, Comedy)
Totally Spies! Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Oh man. Totally Spies? I haven't watched that show in years. Loved that show as a kid.

AkuMifune

Banned
Strange Days

Should be required viewing for anyone who hasn't seen it. A great NYE movie. Haven't seen it in years though, hope it aged well...

Just finished this, and I liked it. Really slow, like really. Nothing big happened until the
shootout at the end.
but I would like some clarification as to what exactly was happening.

Mystery Road spoilers
Johnno (Weaving) was either working undercover to expose police corruption or was a corrupt cop that decided to help Jay after the exchange in the Chinese restaurant. Still unclear on that. Either way Jay, back from the city after however many years, stumbled into Robbo's corrupt drug dealings on his own unrelated murder case. Well, semi-unrelated as it turns out in the end that Robbo had killed the girl because she had stolen the cocaine he (Jay) found in the TV. Well, either she stole it or Pete (Kwanten, who also was pretty good in a limited role) did (as a double-cross of Robbo), who we know was sleeping with the girl at the motel sometimes. I usually hate ambiguous crime stories, but this was done so well it almost doesn't matter. It's more of a story of Jay doing whats right and coming to terms with a world he's never really belonged in. The atmosphere, sense of tension and really beautiful cinematography make it ones of the years best imo. That and Weaving's performance (who I still can't figure out). I need to see it again for sure.

moojito

Has it been asked & answered why things like peaky blinders, a netflix original series is on the US netflix but not the UK? That seems really weird.

DoubleD

Wife and I started Top of the Lake last night. Stayed up late and watched 4 episodes! Both of us are really into it. Thanks for everyone that's suggested it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Randomly started Heroes (needed something on in the background). The show is better with the stream model. I forgot how many characters and stories were happening at once. I still love my man, Hiro. I think I might try to finish S1. I forgot what happens towards the end of the season. I never seen anything past S1. Might check the later seasons as well.

Aiii

So not worth it
Randomly started Heroes (needed something on in the background). The show is better with the stream model. I forgot how many characters and stories were happening at once. I still love my man, Hiro. I think I might try to finish S1. I forgot what happens towards the end of the season. I never seen anything past S1. Might check the later seasons as well.

Don't, trust me. Pretend S1 ends with
Sylar dying
and leave it at that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Updated the Netflix Original section in the OP. Much better looking now. Here is the info on what is coming in 2015:

Coming 2015, known dates/months:

House of Cards Feb 27th
Bloodline (Kyle Chandler, Ben Mendelsohn, Linda Cardellini) March
Daredevil (Charlie Cox, Vincent D'Onofrio) May
The Adventures of Puss in Boots January 16th
The Fall Season 2 January 16th
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Ellie Kemper, Writers Tina Fey/Robert Carlock) March

Coming in 2015, no date yet:

A.K.A. Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter).
Between (Thriller)
BoJack Horseman - Season 2
DreamWorks Dragons - Season 3 (Animation)
Ever After High (Animation)
F is for Family (Bill Burr, writer Michael Price)
Grace and Frankie (Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin)
Hemlock Grove season 3
Iron Fist
Longmire - Season 4
Luge Cage (Mike Colter)
Narcos (Wagner Moura, Maurice Compte)
Marseille (Creator Dan Franck)
Orange is the New Black season 3
Richie Rich (Animation)
Sense8 (Jamie Clayton, Jeronimo Best, Wachowski's)
Shrek
The Croods
Trailer Park Boys season 9 (might be March).

Coming 2016 and beyond:

Justin Time: The New Adventures (Animation)
Kong: King of the Apes (Animation)
The Crown (Drama)
The Magic School Bus 360°
Untitled Chelsea Handler Talk Show
Wet Hot American Summer: The Series

Cade

Updated the Netflix Original section in the OP. Much better looking now. Here is the info on what is coming in 2015:

Coming 2015, known dates/months:

House of Cards Feb 27th
Bloodline (Kyle Chandler, Ben Mendelsohn, Linda Cardellini) March
Daredevil (Charlie Cox, Vincent D'Onofrio) May
The Adventures of Puss in Boots January 16th
The Fall Season 2 January 16th
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Ellie Kemper, Writers Tina Fey/Robert Carlock) March

Coming in 2015, no date yet:

A.K.A. Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter).
Between (Thriller)
DreamWorks Dragons - Season 3 (Animation)
Ever After High (Animation)
F is for Family (Bill Burr, writer Michael Price)
Grace and Frankie (Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin)
Hemlock Grove season 3
Iron Fist (Mike Colter)
Longmire - Season 4
Narcos (Wagner Moura, Maurice Compte)
Marseille (Creator Dan Franck)
Orange is the New Black season 3
Richie Rich (Animation)
Sense8 (Jamie Clayton, Jeronimo Best, Wachowski's)
Shrek
The Croods

Coming 2016 and beyond:

Justin Time: The New Adventures (Animation)
Kong: King of the Apes (Animation)
The Crown (Drama)
The Magic School Bus 360°
Untitled Chelsea Handler Talk Show
Wet Hot American Summer: The Series

I think you mean Luke Cage. Regardless, I hope these netflix series are good

Top Bottom