• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Dalek

Holy crap, guys-I posted this in the official thread-but everyone needs to watch Happy Valley-it's insanely good. One of the best shows I've ever seen. It's short and sweet, 6 episodes and INCREDIBLY high tension the entire time. It's masterful-the closest thing I can compare it to is Fargo but without the black humor. This is a brutal show with amazing characters-including one of most most despicable villains I've ever seen on film.

RedAssedApe

Banned
did Marco Polo get a lot of views? i don't really see that many people mentioning it. at least not on OITNB or HOC levels. guessing the budget might drop a lot?

RedAssedApe

Banned
its super weird...i know like zero people in real life who have actually watched an episode of MP yet. and its not like that type of show wouldnt be up there alley either.

could just be me...but i feel like it didnt get the same social media push.

True. There were a lot of commercials about it here, but most people I know that started watching didn't seem to like it. And the bad reviews didn't exactly help when it comes to viewership.

Holy crap, guys-I posted this in the official thread-but everyone needs to watch Happy Valley-it's insanely good. One of the best shows I've ever seen. It's short and sweet, 6 episodes and INCREDIBLY high tension the entire time. It's masterful-the closest thing I can compare it to is Fargo but without the black humor. This is a brutal show with amazing characters-including one of most most despicable villains I've ever seen on film.

I wholeheartedly agree. The dude was pure fucking evil and I was boiling with hate. The show starts a bit slow but once the shit hits the fan it's a high-tension rollercoaster all the way to the end. I hear Season 2 is in the works. It's a must-watch for Netflix viewers.

Bulzeeb

I never expected to see Gintama in Netflix Latin America, that was a surprise, lets hope they upload all the seasons since the first one is the weakest one.

tumblr_lrew54Lfbt1qjebobo1_500.gif

Dalek

I wholeheartedly agree. The dude was pure fucking evil and I was boiling with hate. The show starts a bit slow but once the shit hits the fan it's a high-tension rollercoaster all the way to the end. I hear Season 2 is in the works. It's a must-watch for Netflix viewers.

The thing about him is that he's not a mastermind, not some drug lord, not a serial killer-he's just a normal looking guy in your neighborhood-that could be anybody- that is seething with evil-no remorse whatsoever, and when he does these horrible things, the expression on his face is like he's making a pot of coffee. He blends into the background and just slithers around. What a fucking creep. I can't imagine this actor being able to walk around and have people recognize him and not get upset after watching this show.

My favourite thing about the show is Sarah Lancashire. Her acting is so, so, good, she makes it look completely effortless - and she is entirely believable as a policewoman.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Adding Happy Valley to my list. Will start it after I'm done with Broadchurch (which is really good).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Aliens on the Moon: The Truth Exposed (Documentary, I'm not saying its Aliens...)
Brick Mansions (Action)
Daawat-e-Ishq (Comedy, Foreign)
Frank (Comedy)
Psych Season 8 (TV, Comedy)
Sky Soldier (TV, Documentary, Historical)

Canada:

Arbitrage (Indie, Drama)
The Any Bully (Family, Animation)
The Cup (Drama, Sports, Foreign)
The Muskeeters Season 1 (TV, Drama)

There were some great British crime dramas last year, I'd probably order them;

Happy Valley (series 2 coming late this year)
The Fall (series 2 just ended)
Line of Duty (series 3 this year)
Broadchurch (series 2 currently airing)

If you watch one of these and enjoy it then I highly recommend you watch all of them.
Sarah Lancashire (Happy Valley) and Keeley Hawes (Line of Duty) are definitely contending for a BAFTA this year, for their performances.

Dalek

There were some great British crime dramas last year, I'd probably order them;

Happy Valley (series 2 coming late this year)
The Fall (series 2 just ended)
Line of Duty (series 3 this year)
Broadchurch (series 2 currently airing)

If you watch one of these and enjoy it then I highly recommend you watch all of them.
Sarah Lancashire (Happy Valley) and Keeley Hawes (Line of Duty) are definitely contending for a BAFTA this year, for their performances.

Line of Duty, huh? I've never heard of it. My wife and I are really into British shows now, so we'll check it out after we watch the finale of Happy Valley tonight.

EDIT: BAH! Not available to stream.

Line of Duty, huh? I've never heard of it. My wife and I are really into British shows now, so we'll check it out after we watch the finale of Happy Valley tonight.

Hmm, maybe it's on Canadian Netflix?
If you can find other means to watch it, I highly recommend it! (In particular, series 2) :D

tim.mbp

Line of Duty (S1 & S2) is free on Hulu in the US.

Laekon

Watched "We are the best" last night and found it just okay. Could be a mood thing. Kind of made me think of the Son of Rambow.

I've been watching "Inside Man" the documentary show by Morgan Spurlock. I think it's pretty good especially given the limitations of filming for so many episodes. It's hard to go to deep when you have to put out 10 45 minute documentaries in less than a year.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Any great action/ thriller movie recommendations?

I'm finishing up Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit know.

I haven't seen JR, so I'm going to recommend general action/thrillers.

Desperado
Jack Reacher
Olympus Has Fallen
District 13
Last Stand
Dredd
Total Recall

The Experiment
Zodiac
You're Next

In Canada:

Rush Hour
Death Race
Battle: Los Angeles
Scarface
Bad Boys II
Starship Troopers
The Man of Tai Chi

The Taking of Pelham 123
The Bourne Trilogy
Safehouse
Argo

I haven't seen JR, so I'm going to recommend general action/thrillers.

Desperado
Jack Reacher
Olympus Has Fallen
District 13
Last Stand
Dredd
Total Recall

The Experiment
Zodiac
You're Next

In Canada:

Rush Hour
Death Race
Battle: Los Angeles
Scarface
Bad Boys II
Starship Troopers
The Man of Tai Chi

The Taking of Pelham 123
The Bourne Trilogy
Safehouse
Argo

I haven't seen everything listed here but I've bolded what I think most closely resembles Jack Ryan. I'm also assuming that "District 13" is the French film "District B13" but I could be wrong.

Desperado and Dredd are.. a bit further from Jack Ryan and closer to general action flicks but they're similar in the vein of "one man against greater odds."

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Amazon's selection is basically a bunch of stuff Netflix US would have if Amazon didn't outbid them for it. If you look at what other countries Netflix get you'll see it clear as day.

At least Amazon's most recent batch of original programming had a good show in it. The interface is awful. Sometimes I want to watch one of the many things on there...then remember that interface.

I have Amazon Prime now and it's a real pain to look through their selection. -_-

Last year I saw that Amazon Prime had American Hustle available for rent, but I held off watching it because my brother was interested in seeing it with me. Well, we never got around to it, and the movie changed to available-for-purchase only and I still hadn't seen it.

A few weeks ago I saw via my PS3 app that American Hustle was now on Prime, and I said, "Great!" and added it to my list. Last night I settled in on my couch to watch it, hit play, and...it wasn't "American Hustle," it was "Los Angeles Times The Envelope Screening Series, in Association with EPIX: American Hustle," a 20-minute roundtable discussion of the movie. Looking at the image on the app, it was the American Hustle movie poster, sure enough, but with tiny white font at the top that said, "Los Angeles Times blah blah blah."

Guess I got Amazon Hustled.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Scrubs, which was given a short reprieve from being axed (was originally supposed to expire on 1/4) is againnow due to disappear on 2/4, so I started watching S8 the other night (the last one before the spin-off/reboot). I've heard so much over the years about how much of an improvement it is over the poor seasons leading up to it, but ehh, the premiere does not have me convinced. I'll watch it regardless, but I'm very skeptical now.

Akahige

Frank is a pretty solid movie, good music and a good performance by Fassbender.
Scrubs, which was given a short reprieve from being axed (was originally supposed to expire on 1/4) is againnow due to disappear on 2/4, so I started watching S8 the other night (the last one before the spin-off/reboot). I've heard so much over the years about how much of an improvement it is over the poor seasons leading up to it, but ehh, the premiere does not have me convinced. I'll watch it regardless, but I'm very skeptical now.
It ends on a high note and by that I mean the last episode is the only good episode of the season to me.

El Topo

Stupid question: I have a Netflix account that allows up to two streams. Can I give my brother (who lives elsewhere) access to my account, or would that be a violation of their ToS?

Just watched Jack Ryan. It was ok but did anyone find
the final sequence incredibly rushed and sorta jarring? One scene he was down in the underground fighting Alexsandr and next thing you know they're out on the NYC streets driving around.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

I Will Follow (Indie, Drama)
Sliding Doors (Romantic, Comedy)
The Winning Season (Indie, Comedy, Sports)
Z Nation Season 1 (TV, Action)

Frank really took me by surprise, it's a lot more poignant and heartfelt than the premise would suggest. Very good film.
It is definitely deserving of it's 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Only season I haven't watched yet is season 9, but I think I'll end it on the high note that was the season 8 finale.

jakncoke

Banned
I know the top suggested is suppose to be based off what you watch but I havent watched anything that would make it so that like half my suggested would be Pee-Wee stuff

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Automata (Action, Thriller, SciFi)
Death Comes to Pemberley Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Zoom: Academy for Superheroes (Family)

Canada:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 (Action)
High School DxD Season 1-2 (Anime)
The Damned (Horror, Supernatural)

Germany:

Oz: The Great and Powerful (Family, Fantasy)

Season 2 was accounced today.

Any information if the Marvel shows will be released in all regions?

Awesome news.

Not a great show, but it fits me perfectly. It's not even one of my favorites...but it simply appeals to me.

Agents of Shield, Spartacus, 24, Marco Polo, Stargate Atlantis, Strike Back...

All just scratch an itch I have.

Hopefully Daredevil will do the same later this year.

Top Bottom