• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Rewatching Twilight Zone. 2nd time in my life, last time I watched it was circa 2007 or so.

Goddamn this show is so good. And it looks amazing, so crisp.

Happy Valley is pretty damn good. Well shot with great characters. The tension is great and it feels like a top notch production. Only seen the first 3 episodes but I like what I see. I must say though, that the 3rd episode gave me legit nightmares last night.

Also can't wait to see The Fall season 2. But I saw S1 so long ago I am wondering if I should just rewatch it again. That was definitely a moody show.

Kaladin

Started watching Z Nation, it's certainly a low budget production, but it has promise even if the plot is by the numbers.

Also about half way through Helix....god damn this show is frustrating. So many questions and no answers....and everyone is an idiot. Also the main guy Alan whispers too damn much. I'm going to finish it, because I've heard shit hits the fan later on, but damn.

Happy Valley is pretty damn good. Well shot with great characters. The tension is great and it feels like a top notch production. Only seen the first 3 episodes but I like what I see. I must say though, that the 3rd episode gave me legit nightmares last night.

Also can't wait to see The Fall season 2. But I saw S1 so long ago I am wondering if I should just rewatch it again. That was definitely a moody show.

Haha yeah I think that scene is really merciless and horrifying. Definitely necessary though, despite complaints that the violence is excessive.

As for The Fall, I'd probably recommend a rewatch of S1 to get you back in, S2 continues just days after the first, and directly references a lot of smaller details you may have forgotten since then.

Finally finished the first season of The Killing and I think it's pretty good. It can be slow paced sometimes but I like it that way. I really like how the first season ended cos it got me excited for the second season.

Then I started the second season and I kinda don't care anymore. I feel it's plodding and it just drags on forever. Now I feel like they're just extending this longer just cos. I'm no longer intrigued, I just want to get to the end of it. It's such a shame cos I really really liked the first season.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Finally finished the first season of The Killing and I think it's pretty good. It can be slow paced sometimes but I like it that way. I really like how the first season ended cos it got me excited for the second season.

Then I started the second season and I kinda don't care anymore. I feel it's plodding and it just drags on forever. Now I feel like they're just extending this longer just cos. I'm no longer intrigued, I just want to get to the end of it. It's such a shame cos I really really liked the first season.

It turns to boring ass shit. Don't bother. I actually finished it because of my wife. Complete shit.

Aww man I didn't wanna hear that. I thought I was just imagining things when I wasn't enjoying it. The 2nd season is so damn boring and they're just spinning their wheels.

I'd finish season 2. I thought the reveal was pretty nuts. I just started season 3, not far into it.

So I've started watching Pee-wee's Playhouse since it's all on Netflix now. God damn is it a rad kids show. The style and look of it hold up surprisingly well. So much nostalgia. And seeing Phil Hartman as Captain Carl really makes me miss the guy.

2Crisis

I couldn't even finish season 1 of the killing. Every episode kept getting more and more contrived to the point I couldn't take it anymore. Probably one of those instances where marathoning the show was a bad idea.

With regards to Happy Valley, kind of a weird, maybe spoilerish question.

Do these police not carry firearms? It seems like a lot of events going on here could have been stopped/avoided if they did.

Slacker

I couldn't even finish season 1 of the killing. Every episode kept getting more and more contrived to the point I couldn't take it anymore. Probably one of those instances where marathoning the show was a bad idea.

That's a good point with season 1/2 of The Killing. I read a review that mentioned basically that if normal crime shows desensitize you to violence, The Killing may re-sensitize you as it lingers on the impact the murder has on the victim's family with agonizing detail. I thought it was an interesting concept and pretty well executed, but not a fun show to binge-watch.

Nyx

The 3rd and 4th season are the best, I would keep on watching.

fenners

With regards to Happy Valley, kind of a weird, maybe spoilerish question.

Do these police not carry firearms? It seems like a lot of events going on here could have been stopped/avoided if they did.

No, they don't.

We wrapped up Happy Valley last night - binged on it over two nights. Absolutely riveting & awesome.

Aww man I didn't wanna hear that. I thought I was just imagining things when I wasn't enjoying it. The 2nd season is so damn boring and they're just spinning their wheels.

There are high and low points to season 2 but I'd keep watching. Yeah they dragged the crime out too long, but season 2 fleshes out the Linden-Holder dynamic - which is really what the show is about anyway.

Asbel

No, they don't.

We wrapped up Happy Valley last night - binged on it over two nights. Absolutely riveting & awesome.

Was kinda slow to start til the end of the first episode than shit hit the fan and kept spinning the rest of the series. Now, is the story about taking responsibility for your own actions or that we don't live in a bubble and share responsibility?

fenners

Was kinda slow to start til the end of the first episode than shit hit the fan and kept spinning the rest of the series. Now, is the story about taking responsibility for your own actions or that we don't live in a bubble and share responsibility?

A bit of both; there's consequences to one's actions, sometimes unintended, and we need to own them, but we can't allow poor decisions to rule future actions? I dunno.

Seasons 3 and 4 are the best. Four is my favorite. It got beyond the frustratingly limiting bounds of cable TV and became a real crime show once Netflix got hold of it.

Dalek

I'd finish season 2. I thought the reveal was pretty nuts. I just started season 3, not far into it.

So I've started watching Pee-wee's Playhouse since it's all on Netflix now. God damn is it a rad kids show. The style and look of it hold up surprisingly well. So much nostalgia. And seeing Phil Hartman as Captain Carl really makes me miss the guy.

I've been watching Pee-Wee too with my daughter! It's timeless and it's such an amazing show. The attention to detail is awesome.

Also-fun fact. One of the kids in the first episode looked familiar, so I googled it and sure enough, she's Natasha Lyonne.

MV5BMTUyNDg3NTA5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjg3NTEwNA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread, but today I noticed Locke on the UK Netflix, which is pretty recent.

Apparently a pretty good thriller set on one location with Tom Hardy, wanted to see it in cinema a month ago but didn't have the time to do so.

Also Steins:Gate for people that love anime, but that may have been on there for some time. But it was still something I wanted to see for a long time.

Locke isn't a thriller, but it's a pretty compelling drama, a feat especially since it's all focused on a guy in his car. It's really good, and Tom Hardy gives a great performance (he does have to carry like... the whole thing)

Speaking of Amazon again, the connection is pretty terrible too. :\ Getting 1080p is a shot in the dark. Got it the other night after watching something for a few minutes and now it alludes me. Set up my router to do bandwidth monitoring so I can see what the bit rate is.

Here's ten minutes of The French Connection on Netflix

and ten minutes of it on Amazon.

Draconian

4 episodes into Marco Polo and yeah, I like it. I'm not sure why critics hated this so much. The time period/location alone makes it worth a watch for me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
4 episodes into Marco Polo and yeah, I like it. I'm not sure why critics hated this so much. The time period/location alone makes it worth a watch for me.

I think the critics went in expecting Game of Thrones. Everyone and their mother seemed to make that comparison after the first trailer was released.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bird People (Drama, Foreign)
Being Human Season 4 (TV, US, Drama, Fantasy)
Death Comes to Pemberley Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Viktor (Action)
Wetlands (Comedy)

Nyx

So after all the talk about Happy Valley I watched 3 EPs last night, damn you all!

Such a great time to be alive if you're a movie/series-nut.

ep3 spoiler:

I screamed at the tv when Kirsten said ''I think they killed me'', goddamn that was sad....

So after all the talk about Happy Valley I watched 3 EPs last night, damn you all!

Such a great time to be alive if you're a movie/series-nut.

ep3 spoiler:

I screamed at the tv when Kirsten said ''I think they killed me'', goddamn that was sad....

Just wait for episode 4, the ending will leave you speechless!

Locke isn't a thriller, but it's a pretty compelling drama, a feat especially since it's all focused on a guy in his car. It's really good, and Tom Hardy gives a great performance (he does have to carry like... the whole thing)

Ah, the premise made me imagine it was kind of like Buried.

Agreed.

This "collection" of tv shows needs to fucking end. Get all the episodes or none ffs

I read somewhere that the reason for these "collections" is for the networks to test the waters and see how well these shows do on Netflix.

-----------------

Full list:

American Pickers: Collection
American Restoration: Collection
Ancient Aliens: Collection
Counting Cars: Collection
Dance Moms: Collection
Duck Dynasty: Collection
Gangland: Collection
Hoarders: Collection
Ice Road Truckers: Collection
Intervention: Collection
Modern Marvels: Collection
Pawn Stars: Collection
Storage Wars: Collection
Swamp People: Collection
The First 48: Collection
The Universe: Collection
Top Shot: Collection

A Killer Among US
Abducted: The Carlina White Story
Amanda Knox: Murder on Trial in Italy
America Unearthed: Season 1
America: The Story of Us
Americas Book Of Secrets: Season 1
Americas Book Of Secrets: Season 2
And Baby Will Fall
Beyond Scared Straight!: Season 4
Beyond Scared Straight!: Season 5
Big Rig Bounty Hunters
Double Divas: Season 1
Double Wedding (2010)
Fatal Honeymoon
Gangsters Amer Most Evil: Season 1
Gangsters Amer Most Evil: Season 2
Gettysburg
History’s Mysteries: Secret Societies
How Sex Changed the World: Season 1
How the States got their Shapes: Season 1
How the States got their Shapes: Season 2
Iris Johansen’s The Killing Game
Jodi Arias: Dirty Little Secret
Jodi Picoult’s Salem Falls
Liz & Dick
Magic Beyond Words: The JK Rowling Story
Mankind: Decoded
Mankind: The Story of All of Us
Matters of Life & Dating
Men Who Built America
Mountain Men: Season 1
Mountain Men: Season 2
Obsessed: Season 1
Obsessed: Season 2
Preacher’s Daughters: Season 1
Restless Virgins
Reviving Ophelia
Ring of Fire
Secrets in the Walls
Secrets of Eden
She Made Them Do It
Shipping Wars: Season 1
Shipping Wars: Season 2
Shipping Wars: Season 3
Stalkers
Stan Lee’s Superhumans: Season 1
Stan Lee’s Superhumans: Season 2
Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story
The Bling Ring
The Eleventh Victim
The Kennedys
The Killer Speaks
The Murder of Princess Diana
The Pregnancy Project
True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet
Twist of Faith
Ultimate Guide to the Presidents
Vietnam in HD
Wahlburgers: Season 1
William & Kate
WWII in HD

Source: http://decider.com/2015/01/13/a-and-e-networks-reality-series-lifetime-netflix/

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I just started the first episode of Homeland. Me and the wife loved it. There's 3 seasons on there, is that all of them and is it worth the watch??

I think S3 is the latest one. S4 is probably around the corner.

I heard S2 is a letdown. Haven't heard anything on S3.

Top Bottom