• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Cade

Word is that with the new X-Files season coming out a new deal is being negotiated for the entire catalog. Kinda like 24 and Live Another Day, which went to Amazon.

Hmm, shit. Well, looks like I've got three days to marathon two seasons. I mean, I've got Prime so if it went there it'd be fine but I want to finish before any possible hiatus.

Kaladin

So I thought the Ryan Phillippe show Secrets and Lies was the US trying to do what Gracepoint couldn't with a series of their own....Netflix proved me wrong. The original Australian version of Secrets And Lies is there and it's actually not as good as the US. The acting isn't there and it's only six parts, where the US series gets 10.

Maybe they got a remake right this time?

Randomly I decided to watch Adventureland again from the director of Superbad, the one with Eisenberg, Stewart and Reynolds. A drama with a sprinkling of quirky characters. Thought it was pretty good the first time, kind of love it now the second time for whatever reason.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
22 Jump Street. Man, this is was a great sequel. I really enjoyed it and laughed all the way through. Especially the ending credit scene lol.

El Topo

That moment when you come back from a twenty-hour train ride '(not counting the hours I waited at railway stations) and your Netflix account has been put on hiatus/blocked because they can't validate something (after months of no problems)...

Argh. Almost midnight and I'm on their support line.

Edit:
Wow, Netflix support is actually pretty great. Seriously impressed.

Hey, NetflixGAF. Why does my SmartTV constantly fuck up when it comes to Netflix? Occasionally it decides to not load any shows on a single profile ("We're having problems loading this title," but the same shows work on other profiles) and in the last couple days it's decided to not let us continue any show from where we left off, or to skip ahead to a different episode (same error description in both cases), but restarting the episode we were on from the beginning works. It also likes to automatically log out on occasion, even though it never goes so much as a week without use.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'm in Canada, if it makes any difference. I already tried manually logging out and back in via the TV, and it did nothing.

Edit: Further investigation has suggested that my modem is a flaky idiot. Probably time for some new parts.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Has any watched the disappearance of Eleanor rigby?

I see three different versions of the movie up: him, her, them

I'm curious about them too.

Yes 22 Jump Street is surprisingly good considering the average trailer I watched.

Yeah, the trailer and the GAF comments on it (I think most were down on it) lower my expectations of it. But I liked it. I think the first one is better, but this was solid movie.

Gobias

Banned

Seems like him and her were two separate movies told from the two different perspectives of the main characters for the same general story, while Them just edited the two together into one movie.

tchocky

Seems like him and her were two separate movies told from the two different perspectives of the main characters for the same general story, while Them just edited the two together into one movie.

Yes, they were meant to be released as two separate movies but the studio edited them into one. It seems the correct order is Him then Her.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Need for Speed (Australia): I am probably in the minority, but I really enjoyed this movie. Just turn your brain off, sit back, and watch super cars drive really fast while almost certainly killing innocent drivers. I wasn't expecting the cinematography to great. They did an excellent job on that front. The plot was alright, acting was ok, the characters weren't annoying (Benny was awesome) and there were lots of fantastic cars.

Asbel

Hey, NetflixGAF. Why does my SmartTV constantly fuck up when it comes to Netflix? Occasionally it decides to not load any shows on a single profile ("We're having problems loading this title," but the same shows work on other profiles) and in the last couple days it's decided to not let us continue any show from where we left off, or to skip ahead to a different episode (same error description in both cases), but restarting the episode we were on from the beginning works. It also likes to automatically log out on occasion, even though it never goes so much as a week without use.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'm in Canada, if it makes any difference. I already tried manually logging out and back in via the TV, and it did nothing.

Edit: Further investigation has suggested that my modem is a flaky idiot. Probably time for some new parts.
If you can use a wired connection, use a wired connection.

Ainsz

Could anyone kindly recommend some solid films on Netflix? Recently watched No Country For Old Men, 12 Year a Slave and Gran Torino. So along those lines genre wise. May give NCFOM a second watch, Astounding film. Any other Coen Brother's movies worth a watch?

Also have watched all of Tarantino's and most of Scorcese's work.

Asbel

Could anyone kindly recommend some solid films on Netflix? Recently watched No Country For Old Men, 12 Year a Slave and Gran Torino. So along those lines genre wise. May give NCFOM a second watch, Astounding film. Any other Coen Brother's movies worth a watch?

Off the top of my head..
Silver Linings Playbook
Django Unchained

Nyx

Need for Speed (Australia): I am probably in the minority, but I really enjoyed this movie. Just turn your brain off, sit back, and watch super cars drive really fast while almost certainly killing innocent drivers. I wasn't expecting the cinematography to great. They did an excellent job on that front. The plot was alright, acting was ok, the characters weren't annoying (Benny was awesome) and there were lots of fantastic cars.

Loved it in the cinema, just that kind of movie where you sit back and enjoy the ride. Thought the racing scenes were superb too.

jakncoke

Banned

Blood Simple (France)
Raising Arizona (Ireland and Uk)
Millers Crossing (Ireland and UK)
Barton Fink (US)
Fargo (a lot of regions)
The Big Lebowski (australia , uk, the new zealand)
o brother where out thou (austria , germany, switzerland and uk)
Burn after Reading (austria , germany , france , switzerland
True Grit (australia , argentina , brazil , colombia, mexico , new zealand)

Coen movies I enjoyed that are on netflix

Moozo

There Will Be Blood
Assassination of Jesse James

C4Lukins

There are three different versions of the film.

One from the perspective of the girl, one from the perspective of the guy, and one one combining the two.

obin_gam

Any hidden horror gems on netflix nowadays? I've seen most of what I can find there, but I'll take whatever you throw at me.

Asbel

Speaking of turning off the brain, not that these are dumb movies but I finally watched and enjoyed Wolf of Wall Street and Snowpeircers as spectacles. Just enjoy the ride and ignore any deeper meaning. I feel that these movies were more entertaining this way, than had I watched them with serious consideration.

Ainsz

Off the top of my head..
Silver Linings Playbook
Django Unchained

Blood Simple (France)
Raising Arizona (Ireland and Uk)
Millers Crossing (Ireland and UK)
Barton Fink (US)
Fargo (a lot of regions)
The Big Lebowski (australia , uk, the new zealand)
o brother where out thou (austria , germany, switzerland and uk)
Burn after Reading (austria , germany , france , switzerland
True Grit (australia , argentina , brazil , colombia, mexico , new zealand)

Coen movies I enjoyed that are on netflix

There Will Be Blood
Assassination of Jesse James

Many thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll check into these.

What's the Coen Brothers track record like? Is NCFOM a good starting point to get an idea of what their other works are like?

What's the Coen Brothers track record like? Is NCFOM a good starting point to get an idea of what their other works are like?

They have a pretty great track record. No County is pretty up there and is a great starting point imo. No Country doesn't make by top 3 Coens (Fargo, The Big Lebowski and Barton Fink) but is definitely in my top 5 of their films but probably ranks higher on most people's lists. Raising Arizona, True Grit and Blood Simple are not to be missed either.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I watched Shadow of the Vampire since it's expiring in a few days. I saw it in a modern film criticism class many years ago, but really didn't remember much about it. It's excellent; Dafoe is so good.

It's only 90 minutes, and it's expiring on Wednesday in the US — definitely recommended.

Stackboy

Been slowly going through season 3 of House of Cards. It's not a bad season so far, 2 episodes in. Also started Peaky Blinders, Kimmy Schmidt, Futurama. Watched 22 Jump Street on the weekend, that was great fun! Caught some Louis Theroux doccos last night too.

Loving Netflix!

strafer

I don't know if I should start watching House Of Cards, I'm terrified to be honest.

I absolutely loved The West Wing. Not sure if I wanna start watching another political drama.

How does it compare to The West Wing?

Salsa

I don't know if I should start watching House Of Cards, I'm terrified to be honest.

I absolutely loved The West Wing. Not sure if I wanna start watching another political drama.

it's completely different

then you get season 3 which is weirdly more like the west wing. and bad.

Slacker

I've only watched a couple episodes, but I didn't think of The West Wing at all while watching HoC. Very different tone and presentation.

Really enjoying Bloodline after three episodes. Can't wait to pour through a couple more tonight.

Many thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll check into these.

Of all the Coen Brothers stuff, my favorite films of theirs are Raising Arizona and Miller's Crossing. And the two could not be more different from each other. Raising Arizona is one of the most insane and ridiculous comedies out there, and features one of Nicolas Cage's best ridiculous performances.
Miller's Crossing is a slow burn of a film that honestly takes a few watches to gel together. The cinematography is fantastic, and it has some of the best dialogue of their filmography. It is definitely an acquired taste, but I love it.
Miller's Crossing is also why Gabriel Byrne will be an eternal badass in my book. But the biggest badass of Miller's Crossing has to be Albert Finney. You won't hear Danny Boy the same way again.
a3abc1_9c7d397130d1484b9e137d4b10170027.jpg_srz_979_459_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Barton Fink is an interesting watch after Miller's Crossing though, because the script was born from the Coen Brothers difficulty in finishing the script for Miller's Crossing. You can take the entirety of Barton Fink and how his world crumbles around him as the Coens exorcising their demons out of how to make a satisfying ending for Miller's Crossing.

lordxar

To echo the sentiment of everyone else, Bloodline is really good.

What the hell is Bloodline anyway? Everybody keeps talking about it so I tried watching the first episode a week ago but between being slow moving and my wife chatting I didn't get much out of it. Looks like drama drama but maybe some murder mystery in there too. Seems well made but didn't really grab me to stick with mostly because I don't have a clue what I'm watching.

What the hell is Bloodline anyway? Everybody keeps talking about it so I tried watching the first episode a week ago but between being slow moving and my wife chatting I didn't get much out of it. Looks like drama drama but maybe some murder mystery in there too. Seems well made but didn't really grab me to stick with mostly because I don't have a clue what I'm watching.

It's kind of your typical adult family drama but, pretty well done. They're rich, they have skeletons in the closet, and there's a good bit of conflict. It's slow starting but, I got into it after three or four episodes. Once it picks up it gets really good.

Ainsz

Of all the Coen Brothers stuff, my favorite films of theirs are Raising Arizona and Miller's Crossing. And the two could not be more different from each other. Raising Arizona is one of the most insane and ridiculous comedies out there, and features one of Nicolas Cage's best ridiculous performances.
Miller's Crossing is a slow burn of a film that honestly takes a few watches to gel together. The cinematography is fantastic, and it has some of the best dialogue of their filmography. It is definitely an acquired taste, but I love it.
Miller's Crossing is also why Gabriel Byrne will be an eternal badass in my book. But the biggest badass of Miller's Crossing has to be Albert Finney. You won't hear Danny Boy the same way again.
a3abc1_9c7d397130d1484b9e137d4b10170027.jpg_srz_979_459_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Barton Fink is an interesting watch after Miller's Crossing though, because the script was born from the Coen Brothers difficulty in finishing the script for Miller's Crossing. You can take the entirety of Barton Fink and how his world crumbles around him as the Coens exorcising their demons out of how to make a satisfying ending for Miller's Crossing.

Watched Miller's Crossing last night, absolutely loved it. Not one dull moment. The Danny Boy scene was something else. Surprised this film has only garnered a cult status. It's truly up there with other great gangster epics. So Barton Fink is next.. Also, I noticed the pearl handle pistol used by Johnny Caspar in one scene was the same one used in Blood Simply, was a nice detail.

Also watched Fargo last night, great film and Steve Buscemi is always good to be watch. but I think MC is my new favourite for now.

Watched Miller's Crossing last night, absolutely loved it. Not one dull moment. The Danny Boy scene was something else. Surprised this film has only garnered a cult status. It's truly up there with other great gangster epics. So Barton Fink is next.. Also, I noticed the pearl handle pistol used by Johnny Caspar in one scene was the same one used in Blood Simply, was a nice detail.

Also watched Fargo last night, great film and Steve Buscemi is always good to be watch. but I think MC is my new favourite for now.
Bro hug!

Miller's Crossing only improves on rewatches. Such a damn good film.

The big takeaway from that film: "Jesus, Tom!"

EDIT: The Coen Brothers question has made me bust out the blu ray set since I bought it for cheap a few years ago. It has been too long since I watch some of these. Watching Raising Arizona tonight. So insane and wonderful.

Top Bottom