• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

tomtom94

Netflix UK has had a good day for once - lots of BBC stuff:

Atari: Game Over (2014)
Begin Again (2014)
Bob Servant, Independent (2013, 1 season)
Chef (2014)
Death in Paradise (season 2 added)
Devil's Backbone Texas (2014)
Earth to Echo (2014)
Father Brown (2013, 1 season)
Hidden Kingdoms (2014, 3 episodes)
Louis Theroux: LA Stories (2014, 3 episodes)
Residue (2015, 1 season)
Spooks/MI:5 (streaming again, 2002-11, 10 seasons)
Top Gear The Perfect Road Trip (2013, 2 episodes)
The Trip (2010-14, 2 seasons)
The Wrong Mans (2013, 1 season)
Zen (2011, 1 season)

Posting here for the benefit of Hola users since I think a few of those shows aren't available elsewhere.

Ainsz

Bro hug!

Miller's Crossing only improves on rewatches. Such a damn good film.

The big takeaway from that film: "Jesus, Tom!"

EDIT: The Coen Brothers question has made me bust out the blu ray set since I bought it for cheap a few years ago. It has been too long since I watch some of these. Watching Raising Arizona tonight. So insane and wonderful.

If not that, the big takeaway has gotta be:
tumblr_m8vnwjDGfP1r2pn76o1_500.gif

So Barton Fink blew me away. Got the same vibes I got when I watched The Shining, which is a great accomplishment for the Coens. John Turturro was perfect for the part and Goodman was effortless in giving the friendly neighbour facade.

I'll give Raising Arizona a shot tonight but comedy usually isn't my thing movie wise. I didn't reckon much to Burn After Reading.

The second Sin City is up on Canada now also. Not sure anyone cares but those are both big 2014 releases on single Netflixes so, heads up!
Sin City being one of my favourite movies, is it wise to watch ADTK? The usual comments on it put me way off at release.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Allies (Action, Military)
Ask Me Anything (Indie, Drama)
Atari: Game Over (Documentary, Social)
Common (Crime, Drama)
Devil's Backbone Texas (Indie, Horror, Thriller)
Dr. Dolittle 3 (Family)
Flight 93 (Drama)
Garfield's Pet Force (Kids)
Jasper: Journey to the End of the World (Kids)
Love the One You're With (Romantic, Comedy)
Monica (Drama)
Peacock (Thriller)
Pet Pals in Windland (Kids)
Residue Season 1 (TV, Action, SciFi)
The Aviators (Family, Animation, Foreign)
The Crazy Ones Season 1 (TV, Comedy, RIP RW)
The Houses October Built (Horror)
The Sandlot 2 (Family)
The Universal Force: The Seer Squad (Family, Foreign)
Twelve Mile Road (Drama)
Veronika Decides to Die (Indie, Drama)
Wolfcop (Indie, B-Horror, Comedy)

lordxar

It took a bit but I'm finally digging the Fall. I wasn't too sure but its growing on me. Season one was ok but season two just clicked. Having a short amount of episodes helps too.

These "Binge Responsibly" shorts are pretty funny. I just watched "Call Your Mom" and "Go Outside"

They are gone 4/2/2015 (tomorrow) so check them out!

oh shit, my wife's gonna be pissed. They just added S3 a few weeks ago. WTF.

edit: Holy crap. Hotel Impossible is gone too. This is unacceptable.

It looks like the HGTV stuff is off. Couldn't find House Hunters either.

WHERE THE FUCK HAS PROPERTY BROTHERS GONE?!

I wonder if it has anything to do with SlingTV. Since HGTV is part of their base sub model, they could be trying to get people over to them.

I wonder if it has anything to do with SlingTV. Since HGTV is part of their base sub model, they could be trying to get people over to them.

I doubt it. SlingTV is live TV. They are probably renegotiating their streaming deal, although Netflix said that HGTV/Travel Network were only for a trial period. Apparently reality-based TV does poorly on streaming. The numbers were probably low :(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I doubt it. SlingTV is live TV. They are probably renegotiating their streaming deal, although Netflix said that HGTV/Travel Network were only for a trial period. Apparently reality-based TV does poorly on streaming. The numbers were probably low :(

I think it is more that HGTV/TN put up the shows to please investors. Show them that they weren't just sitting on content.

It is not just live TV. There are plenty of shows On Demand you can watch too. But you are probably right about reality based shows and streaming.

amrod

Netflix Canada

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
Let's Be Cops (2014)

Netflix USA

Bob's Burgers Season 4
MASH Season 6-11

I just watched the first episode of House of Cards S3, and I have a question but I don't want to go into the spoiler thread. I've forgotten so much of the end of season 2, can someone bring me up to speed on Doug Stamper, Frank Underwood's chief of staff?
Who beat him and put him in the hospital, and why? Does Doug himself know who did it?
They glossed over it so quickly in the season recap.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

29 Palms (Thriller, Crime)
50 First Dates (Romantic, Comedy)
A Field Full of Secrets (Documentary)
A Horse For Summer (Family)
Agora (Drama, Foreign)

All Relative (Drama, Romantic)
American Ninja 2: The Confrontation (Action, Martial Arts)
American Psycho 2 (Thriller)
American Women (Romantic, Comedy, Foreign)
Anatomy of a Love Seen (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
And Now...Ladies and Gentlemen... (Drama, Foreign)

Angela's Ashes (Drama)
Another Woman (Indie, Drama)
Autumn in New York (Romantic, Drama)
Barnyard (Kids)
Bebe's Kids (Comedy, Animation)

Bella (Indie, Drama)
Bersek: The Egg of the King (Anime)
Beyond Borders (Romantic, Drama)
Bloody Sunday (Drama)
Blue State (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
Buffalo Soldiers (Action, Comedy)

Buying & Selling Season 2 (TV, Reality)
Clockstoppers (Family)
Coldwater (Indie, Drama)
Dead Man Walking (Drama, Crime)
Death Wish/2 (Action, Thriller)

Deepsea Challenge (Documentary)
Down to Earth (Comedy, Romantic)
Down to You (Romantic, Drama)
Driving Miss Daisy (Drama)
Drop Zone (Action, Thriller)
Enter the Ninja (Action, Martial Arts)

Godzilla ('98, Action)
Going Overboard (Indie, Comedy)
Hercules in New York (Action, Comedy)
Hotline (Documentary)
Jewel in the Crown Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Kicking and Screaming (Romantic, Comedy)

Killer Legends (Documentary, Social)
Leprechaun 2-6 (Horror, Supernatural)
Louie Season 4 (TV, Comedy)
Maya the Bee Season 1 (TV, Kids)

My Bloody Valentine ('81, Horror, Slasher)
Nash (Documentary, Sports)
National Security (Action, Comedy)
Natural Born Killers: Director's Cut (Thriller, Crime)
Night Train to Munich (Thriller)
Nine to Five (Comedy)

Nurse (Indie, Thriller)
Open Water/2 (Indie, Thriller)
Queen (Drama, Bollywood
Red vs Blue Season 2 (TV, Comedy)
Red vs. Blue - Season Red vs. Blue: The Blood Gulch Chronicles: The First Five Seasons (TV, Comedy)
Remember Me (Romantic, Drama)

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (Action, Comedy)
Showrunners: The Art of Running a TV Show (Documentary, Social)
Sleepaway Camp 2-3 (Horror)
Snake Eyes (Thriller)
Space Cowboys (Action)
Suicide Kings (Thriller, Crime)

TEDTalks: Animal Voices Season 1 (TV, Science)
The Beautician and the Beast (Romantic, Comedy)
The Big Lebowski (Comedy, The Dude)
The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course (Family)
The Falls (Drama, Gay & Lesbian)

The Last Samurai (Action)
The Longest Yard (Comedy, Sports)
The Man Who Never Was (Drama, War)
The Seven-Ups (Thriller, Crime)
The Thing Called Love (Romantic, Drama)
This is Spinal Tap (Documentary, Music)

Three Kings (Action, Drama)
Till Human Voices Wake Us (Romantic, Drama)
Unbreakable (Thriller, SciFi)
Underworld (Action, Fantasy)
Unforgettable (Thriller)
What They Left Behind (Documentary, Social)
Whispers in the Dark (Thriller)
Whiteboyz (Indie, Comedy)

Wild Wild West (Action, Western)
Without a Paddle: Nature's Calling (Comedy)
Wrong Turn at Tahoe (Action, Thriller)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I just watched the first episode of House of Cards S3, and I have a question but I don't want to go into the spoiler thread. I've forgotten so much of the end of season 2, can someone bring me up to speed on Doug Stamper, Frank Underwood's chief of staff?
Who beat him and put him in the hospital, and why? Does Doug himself know who did it?

Spoilers for HoC S2:
It was Rachel. She attacked him in the season finale of S2. And she attacked him to escape from him/the situation. He knows who did it.

tomtom94

Since I watched this not too long ago, I think I'm correct in saying:
Rachel beats him up when he's driving her to another new life she doesn't want. He knows it's her, I assume, because when it happens he's looking for her because she's tried to run away. That said, I haven't watched any of season 3 yet.

not a whole lot from that list that interests me that i haven't seen, outside of maybe Kicking and Screaming and Bloody Sunday.

also even though it's probably bad, 29 Palms is a great name for a movie. it'd be even better for a martial arts movie

tomtom94

Would definitely recommend Unbreakable. Interesting deconstruction of superhero films, Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson are great and Shyamalan's directing actually fits perfectly.

Cade

Would definitely recommend Unbreakable. Interesting deconstruction of superhero films, Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson are great and Shyamalan's directing actually fits perfectly.

Unbreakable is great. Caught it a few months ago on Canadian Netflix but I'm tempted to rewatch it.

Added today:

Bersek: The Egg of the King (Anime)
My Bloody Valentine ('81, Horror, Slasher)
Sleepaway Camp 2-3 (Horror)
Snake Eyes (Thriller)
The Big Lebowski (Comedy, The Dude)
This is Spinal Tap (Documentary, Music)
Three Kings (Action, Drama)
Unbreakable (Thriller, SciFi)

Not a whole lot this month. Bummer that My Bloody Valentine is the R rated version. Real excited for Sleepaway Camp 3 and Berserk. I've seen everything else I've quoted except for Unbreakable which I heard was good even though I hate Shyamalan films.

Dead Man Walking should be added to everyone's watch list. Fantastic film with some incredible performances in it. Sure, Nic Cage was awesome in Leaving Las Vegas, but Sean Penn should have won Best Actor for Dead Man Walking.

And after everyone sees it, hunt down the soundtrack. Before the film released, Tim Robbins sent copies of the film to music artists he loved and asked them to write songs for the album if they were inspired. They only used two or three songs in the film itself, but the album has some amazing stuff from Steve Earle, Johnny Cash, and many others.

EDIT:
Dead_Man_Walking_(soundtrack).jpg

Look at that artist list. Those people wrote original music for the film because of how strongly it affected them.
Springsteen was up for his second Oscar for the title song.

But the real best song is "The Long Road" by Eddie Vedder and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

Kaladin

I'm one episode from finishing Bloodlines.

It has been a great ride so far, didn't expect this show to turn out as good as it did.

Highly recommended.

Montresor

Canadian Netflix has been incredible lately.

I just finished Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - that was a very pleasant comedy show. Then I watched the movie Killing Them Softly - very dark gangster movie with gritty, filthy criminal characters. The storytelling is riveting, especially at the beginning. I love how the character "Squirrel" describes the job they're going to do, and then the two kids go ahead and proceed and there's so much tension.

Now I'm watching Sin City A Dame To Kill For - the movie is weaker than the original Sin City but I LIVE for these kinds of visuals. And I just got an email saying Days Of Future Past was added. And there's the new Bloodlines show to watch.

I'm one episode from finishing Bloodlines.

It has been a great ride so far, didn't expect this show to turn out as good as it did.

Highly recommended.
I'm about 8 episodes in and loving it. I had high expectations from these guys since Damages was so damn good. If you haven't already, watch Damages!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I watched the first episode of Bloodlines and also thought it was quite good. I'll be making my way through it slowly since it's not my primary show right now, but I'm looking forward to continuing on.

Top Bottom