• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Netflix is kind of killing it with these original shows.

Does bloodline hold up? Just finished the pilot and it's already got me hooked. Can't wait for dare devil. expectations are tempered due to marvels current tv foray (do not like aos at all even despite people saying s2 is better/good)

Bloodline is incredible except for the ending. If you liked the pilot definitely keep watching.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I finished up Unbreakable Kimmy. Really good show. Probably one or two weak episodes out of the bunch. Tituss Burgess is the star of the show. Really funny in almost all his scenes. Definitely recommend this show.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Because there was a huge uproar when the ... Critics threw embarrassingly childish tantrums and the backlash has never subsided - even though the show ended up righting a lot of the first seasons' wrongs in the subsequent seasons, people still scoff at The Killing and actively try to get others to avoid it.
Knowing from the get go that it's more of a slow burn that takes two seasons to unfold has helped a lot more people to enjoy it, ime.

Also, it has nothing to do with spoilers. The Killing is a two season mystery, followed by a one season mystery and then another one season mystery. I'm just pointing out the structure of the thing.

I honestly feel annoyed to have learnt this. I like going into things not knowing anything.
Now I know it doesn't get solved in season 1 - of all the things to tell me for a fucking mystery/crime show this is not it ffs.

You go into these shows not even knowing if they ever solve it. Now I know the exact moments things get solved, why even watch it now.

Stop being such a try hard busybody and let people find things out for themselves dammit, including the disappointment and shock as you call it. It's part of the experience.

Boem

I haven't watched a ton of Netflix before outside of House of Cards and some random movies, but I recently watched the first couple of episodes of Bloodline and Marco Polo and really liked it. I tried to find out what other content was actually a Netflix Original because I'm really interested in at least giving those shows a chance as I'm impressed by what I've seen, but it's annoying to me that shows they haven't actually produced and just got the exclusive broadcast rights for in a certain territory are also branded 'Netflix Original' (like Derek, or a thousand other shows).

Does anyone know where I can find a list that actually just shows the stuff produced by Netflix? All of the lists I found either weren't complete or included a lot of stuff they didn't actually make. This is what I've figured out so far:

Netflix Originals
- Lilyhammer (does this count? It was produced and broadcast in Norway first - so did Netflix just get the exclusive US rights or did they have something to do with the production of it?)
- House of Cards
- Bad Samaritans (unclear on this one)
- Hemlock Grove
- Marco Polo
- Bloodline
- Arrested Development Season 4
- Orange is the New Black
- The Killing season 3 and 4
- Bojack Horseman
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- Trailer Park Boys season 8, 9 & specials

Children's programming (not too interested in these, but I'm interested in what they're doing at least):
- Turbo FAST
- Veggietales in the House
- All Hail King Julien
- The Adventures of Puss in Boots
- Richie Rich
- Knights of Sidonia

Is that it (at least for the stuff that's available now)? What about documentaries/stand up comedy and all that - a lot of it is branded as a Netflix Original but I'm not sure if any of it was actually produced by them.

Lilyhammer (does this count? It was produced and broadcast in Norway first - so did Netflix just get the exclusive US rights or did they have something to do with the production of it?)

S2 onwards of Lilyhammer is co-produced by Netflix.

And Knights of Sidonia isn't really for kids and Netflix just got the rights to that I think, not involved with production.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

30 for 30: I Hate Christian Laettner (TV, Documentary, Sports)
Bandolero! (Western)
Bound (Thriller, Crime)
Bratz: Desert Jewelz (Kids)
Chaos (Action, Thriller)
Charlie Bartlett (Indie, Comedy, Drama)
Death in Paradise Season 1-2 (TV, Drama)
Death Squad (Thriller, SciFi, Foreign)
Flesh + Blood (Action)
Frankenstein ('04, Horror)
Frankie & Alice (Indie, Drama)
Hitler and the Nazis Season 1 (TV, Documentary)
Mommie Dearest (Drama)
Racing Stripes (Family)
Road to the NHL Winter Classic (TV, Sports)
Salvation Army (Drama, Foreign)
Swearnet: The Movie (Comedy)
The Dead Zone (Thriller, SciFi)
The Devil's Rejects (Horror)
The Devil's Violinist (Drama, Foreign)
The Punisher (Action)
Twins (Comedy)

Canada:

Batman ('89, Action)
Blood Diamond (Crime, Drama)
Boyhood (Indie, Drama)
Dreamcatcher (Horror, Supernatural)
Maravilla (Documentary, Sports, Foreign)
Michael Clayton (Thriller, Crime)
The Last Stand (Action)

The Dead Zone.

iA1S7dn62Q3Kk.png

Stackboy

I was stuck at home for the Easter weekend with work so I checked out Harmontown (really interesting), a few episodes of s3 of House of Cards, The Raid 2 (so good!) and Boejack Horseman which I really like.

Nyx

So I tried the first episode of Blacklist on Saturday afternoon after a friend told me the series was good.
Yesterday evening the credits of episode 22, the last one of the season, came by…

It’s really fun, not as good as the ‘’topseries’’ like Sopranos or Breaking Bad but very good entertainment for sure!

Couldn't you just get another account with a different e-mail?

Probably, I'm not sure how their account disable would work. It's possible that you might need a different form of payment or something as well. There are ways around it.

I don't really think they'll do anything though. It looks like it's more that it's something they have to say so, in the event that big studios come after them over it, they are covered legally.

Netflix ToS were updated. I guess they can terminate accounts using VPNs...

link

Might just be a cover your ass thing though.

The Netflix terms of use were last updated on September 15th, 2014 (scroll to the bottom of this page to check)

That dude on reddit just noticed it today and posted it as if it's some new thing. It's not. Others in the same thread have talked to Netflix support personnel about this and the general answer they get is that Netflix doesn't actively look for users with VPNs, they just don't provide support if the issue is VPN related.

In short, this whole thread is a mountain out of a molehill. There is obviously a persistent risk in using a VPN to access Netflix, but as of now it's not a serious problem for anyone who does.

manfestival

welp I just got netflix for the first time.... there are so many things I want to watch on there. So ridiculous! Hooray for a free year of this stuff

Aiii

So not worth it
The Netflix terms of use were last updated on September 15th, 2014 (scroll to the bottom of this page to check)

That dude on reddit just noticed it today and posted it as if it's some new thing. It's not. Others in the same thread have talked to Netflix support personnel about this and the general answer they get is that Netflix doesn't actively look for users with VPNs, they just don't provide support if the issue is VPN related.

In short, this whole thread is a mountain out of a molehill. There is obviously a persistent risk in using a VPN to access Netflix, but as of now it's not a serious problem for anyone who does.

There is no risk. Literally the worst they could do is stop you from giving them money fort their service.

There is no risk. Literally the worst they could do is stop you from giving them money fort their service.

The risk being that you lose access to the content. And you might lose a month of your subscription which is just $9 so not a big deal at all.

That's why I said at most it is a cover your ass thing. In the event studios come at them, they can legally say that we (the user) agreed to not do it. They don't care that we do it. They do care that they could get sued if we don't agree not to.

That dude just noticed it because he had never accepted them before for some reason. I saw that they were updated in 2014 but, it was too late to go back and remove all of this. I usually don't post this shit and that's why.

Kaladin

Got through the first half of season 7 of Mad Men, can't believe I have to wait another year to finish it up on Netflix.

Loved it though....a bit rough to get into at first, but once it gets rolling, it's good.

What to go to next?

I never did get into House of Cards Season 3.

JavyOO7

I was trying to use Hola to play Lost in Translation in UK version of Netflix since US doesn't have it. I guess I'm thankful I could not get it to work since the TOS says you may get your account wrecked?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
^Not true. Even if your account does get wrecked, get a new one? Not like there are achievements or points earned throughout the duration of your account.

Stackboy

I was trying to use Hola to play Lost in Translation in UK version of Netflix since US doesn't have it. I guess I'm thankful I could not get it to work since the TOS says you may get your account wrecked?

It doesn't sound like they are going to chase people down, I wouldn't worry about it.

so i finally got unblockus, works great for pretty much all my laptops/tvs/consoles in the house.

it only seems to hate google chromecast for some reason. i can get the tablet itself to play american content, but casting it to the hdtv keeps showing content not available in your region. i changed the dns of my router too and i still get the same results :( its really for me little sister im doing this for.

any ideas?

They really don't care if you do it. The ToS has to say that for legal reasons.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
so i finally got unblockus, works great for pretty much all my laptops/tvs/consoles in the house.

it only seems to hate google chromecast for some reason. i can get the tablet itself to play american content, but casting it to the hdtv keeps showing content not available in your region. i changed the dns of my router too and i still get the same results :( its really for me little sister im doing this for.

any ideas?

Try googling it. I believe there is a work around for it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track

any ideas?

Chromecast has the google dns servers hard coded, so it's not going to use whatever dns your dhcp server sends. The only way to get it to work is to redirect all traffic for udp port 53 of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to the unblockus dns servers. I do it with 2 iptables lines on my asus router, it also worked perfectly on my old ddwrt.

Well, I've been doing it for probably more than three years now.

Top Bottom