• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Finished DS9 Season 1 last night. Overall it was enjoyable. I quite like the characters and it seems to be rather intelligently written. If that's the worst the show has to offer I think I have great things ahead of me to watch. Is Voyager any good? What about Enterprise?

Kaladin

Finished DS9 Season 1 last night. Overall it was enjoyable. I quite like the characters and it seems to be rather intelligently written. If that's the worst the show has to offer I think I have great things ahead of me to watch. Is Voyager any good? What about Enterprise?

Give both series a chance at least. Both are love em or hate em series. I personally prefer Enterprise over Voyager, but you'll have people telling you otherwise or that both weren't that great.

Give both series a chance at least. Both are love em or hate em series. I personally prefer Enterprise over Voyager, but you'll have people telling you otherwise or that both weren't that great.

Will certainly give em' both a chance once I'm done with DS9. It's insane how many hours of Star Trek I missed since stopping at Next Generation. I ended up a Babylon 5 and BSG guy and didn't watch any TV sci fi but those. Also, is there any word on a new show beyond the Abrams movies?

Kaladin

Will certainly give em' both a chance once I'm done with DS9. It's insane how many hours of Star Trek I missed since stopping at Next Generation. I ended up a Babylon 5 and BSG guy and didn't watch any TV sci fi but those. Also, is there any word on a new show beyond the Abrams movies?

Only in our hopes and dreams.....only in our hopes and dreams.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I love the fact that Netflix changed the 'star ratings' of Arrested Development, to 'bananas.' They have been top notch with these little easter eggs.

rSqXfrP.png

Gonna throw out an off-beat recommendation: Blue Valentine.

BV is a pretty good movie. Ryan, and Michelle knocked it out with their performances.

Draper

^ Can't wait for AR's return. Neat little easter egg.

And yeah, Blue Valentine has some top notch acting. I'm a sucker for a well done romance even if that's not exactly what it is. Although it does bring back some of the sting from my last break up, 3 years together-essentially ended through an email; I won't get into it.

Anyone here watch Compliance? It's a strange movie to say the least and surprising in that it's apparently based on true events, but it's a oddly compelling, you just can't stop watching, the actions of everyone involved when someone claims to be in a position of authority are simply fascinating. Special mention to both Dreama Walker and Ann Dowd.

I'd give it 3 stars.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Wired has a great article on Neftlix/Arrested Development. One part that stuck out to me:

Streaming will one day make DVDs obsolete. But for now Net­flix loses money every time it converts a DVD renter into a streamer. Thanks to the high cost of licensing content and delivering streams, Net­flix makes a profit of just about $4 per quarter off each US streaming customer, versus about $15 from every DVD subscriber. For Net­flix to thrive, it needs to increase the number of customers who are paying that less profitable rate. But with more rivals entering the fray, competition is fierce. Apple, Amazon, HBO, Hulu, Sony, Microsoft, and Intel are all now bidding for the same content and eyeballs that Net­flix is. And so Net­flix faces a quandary—how can it distinguish itself to attract new subscribers and retain existing ones?

That is crazy. Never knew it was that low.

jb1234

I was never a big fan of Enterprise but Voyager is a guilty pleasure. The writing isn't as consistent as DS9's and the characters are all over the place depending on the needs of the script but there were plenty of good to great episodes in it.

adroit

Which then costs even more money.
Yup. The content owners demand a flat price regardless of how many people actually watch their content. So Netflix takes a big risk every time it signs a new deal because if barely anyone watches, they've spent a fortune (many millions of dollars) on something that didn't interest their subscribers at all (meaning it didn't contribute to retaining existing subscribers or attracting new ones and they could have spent those millions better on something else).

Netflix is in a really sucky business. $4/quarter/streaming subscriber. Barf.

Feel sorry for Netflix that they have to deal with the same greed customers have had to deal with when it comes to DVD and movie prices. :\ I'm loving Netflix however.

I love the fact that Netflix changed the 'star ratings' of Arrested Development, to 'bananas.' They have been top notch with these little easter eggs.

rSqXfrP.png

BV is a pretty good movie. Ryan, and Michelle knocked it out with their performances.

That is awesome. I need to get netflix going again when AD returns.

Also, could someone check for me if Rosario X Vampire is still on Netflix?

C4Lukins

Just watched Luther. A super great series. For those who do not know, it is about a detective in the UK who tends to bend the rules to get the bad guy. It is only ten episodes but it manages to be a complete series. Just really damn good.

Gregorn

Just watched Luther. A super great series. For those who do not know, it is about a detective in the UK who tends to bend the rules to get the bad guy.

This describes almost every show. I couldn't get in to it, I don't really like gritty British dramas, despite being British myself.

C4Lukins

This describes almost every show. I couldn't get in to it, I don't really like gritty British dramas, despite being British myself.

It has some unique things going on there. The biggest plus is that it is ten episodes and that is it. And it seems to have been written to be a ten episode mini series, not an early canceled one. If you are British and this does not appeal to you then I am curious what does.

Anyone here watch Compliance? It's a strange movie to say the least and surprising in that it's apparently based on true events, but it's a oddly compelling, you just can't stop watching, the actions of everyone involved when someone claims to be in a position of authority are simply fascinating. Special mention to both Dreama Walker and Ann Dowd.

I'd give it 3 stars.

Yeah I watched this yesterday and found it extremely compelling. I thought some of the actors were very, very good. At times I almost thought I was watching a documentary. Most of all it had me thinking afterwards, about what I would do in a similar situation, and how bad I would feel and how terrible it would be to participate in something like that.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Just caught Gerald Butler in Machine Gun Preacher.

He is so bad/mediocre in the shit roles he takes that it's easy to forget how much of a presense he can be on screen with a well written role.

Also anything that makes more people learn about how awful the situation in the Sudan is gets bonus points in my book.

Yeah I watched this yesterday and found it extremely compelling. I thought some of the actors were very, very good. At times I almost thought I was watching a documentary. Most of all it had me thinking afterwards, about what I would do in a similar situation, and how bad I would feel and how terrible it would be to participate in something like that.

Yep, i couldn't stop thinking about what I'd do in a similar situation and would I be able to think more critically/not simply follow what a voice on the end of a phone says/what someone who claims to be in authority says.

I'd like to think I wouldn't, but I'm not so sure how I'd react if I were to suddenly find myself in such a position.

Dreama Walker was great in the role. She completely sold the role of someone who couldn't do anything about her situation, she was utterly powerless in a ever escalating situation.

Ann Dowd too, the ending where she's still in a state of shock/not able to process what she allowed to happen was incredibly well done. The nervous laughing, the attempts to make small talk, anything to not talk about or accept the reality of the situation she had a major hand in.

Yup. The content owners demand a flat price regardless of how many people actually watch their content. So Netflix takes a big risk every time it signs a new deal because if barely anyone watches, they've spent a fortune (many millions of dollars) on something that didn't interest their subscribers at all (meaning it didn't contribute to retaining existing subscribers or attracting new ones and they could have spent those millions better on something else).

Netflix is in a really sucky business. $4/quarter/streaming subscriber. Barf.

They have to have tracking numbers for the movies people watch & have on queue on netflix & movies that people don't watch.

They ought to know which films to sign large contacts & films that they can lowball.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is Juice with Tupac any good?

I dont know. I only saw it recently and I'm not sure it aged well. Not many of the 90's 'hood' movies did, I dont think.

Watched some light stuff this past week.

The Giant Mechanical Man and Butter. Both were pretty decent feel-good movies. A little cheesy at times, but worth watching if you've got nothing else going on.

Jimothy

They have to have tracking numbers for the movies people watch & have on queue on netflix & movies that people don't watch.

They ought to know which films to sign large contacts & films that they can lowball.

I remember reading somewhere the biggest reason they signed on for House of Cards is because they found Netflix users like Kevin Spacey and David Fincher movies. It's a pretty brilliant business model. They'll be fine in the long-run.

I mostly use Netflix on iPad, and that conveniently lists a row of 'just watched' across the top. I can't figure out how to see this on PC in Firefox. Sometimes it has the last thing I watched in the top left, not a row, but that recently had an annoying message overlay saying "share activity with friends", with no way of saying 'no'... so I tried clicking the X in the top right, which removed this message, but also the entire top row, including the 'just watched'... wtf? This is such an unintuitive home page compared to the Netflix app on iOS... is there a way of getting a row of 'recently watched' across the top in a browser?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Entre Nos (Drama, Foreign/Spanish)
The Factory (Crime, Thriller)
Fat Kid Rules the World (Drama, Comedy, Indie)
Keep the Lights On (Romance, Drama, Indie)
LeapFrog: Adventures in Shapeville Park (Kids, Education)
Leapfrog: Museum of Opposite Words (Kids, Education)
Tai Chi Zero (Action, Martial Arts, Sci-Fi, Foreign/Chinese)
Top Gear: Series 18 (TV, Reality, British)

I mostly use Netflix on iPad, and that conveniently lists a row of 'just watched' across the top. I can't figure out how to see this on PC in Firefox. Sometimes it has the last thing I watched in the top left, not a row, but that recently had an annoying message overlay saying "share activity with friends", with no way of saying 'no'... so I tried clicking the X in the top right, which removed this message, but also the entire top row, including the 'just watched'... wtf? This is such an unintuitive home page compared to the Netflix app on iOS... is there a way of getting a row of 'recently watched' across the top in a browser?

I usually have the 'Top Ten for *You*' row. On the far left of that, it shows the last movie/show I watched.

If you click the 'Recently Watched', it will link you to a page to your streamed stuff over a month plus.

jakncoke

Banned
Almost two months worth of streaming actually. It is going back to 2/1. Netflix gods must love me.

Perhaps its a set number it goes back and not an actually mount of date? Like it shows your last 100 watches. If someone that doesnt use it netflix all that much can look and see that'd be awesome.

FYC

Banned
Hellraiser V is a surprisingly decent detective / psychological film. Can be watched on its own as well, I think. Dramatically different from its predacessors, but I found it a pleasant surprise.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Perhaps its a set number it goes back and not an actually mount of date? Like it shows your last 100 watches. If someone that doesnt use it netflix all that much can look and see that'd be awesome.

I just counted it, and it is 100. So you are probably right about that.

Hellraiser V is a surprisingly decent detective / psychological film. Can be watched on its own as well, I think. Dramatically different from its predacessors, but I found it a pleasant surprise.

I liked the first one. I saw that one a few months back, still enjoyed it. I watched the sequels when I was younger, but don't remember any of them. I will check it out later tonight.

FYC

Banned
I liked the first one. I saw that one a few months back, still enjoyed it. I watched the sequels when I was younger, but don't remember any of them. I will check it out later tonight.

You should certainly watch the second one as well, it's a great sequel to the first. I thought 3 and 4 were kind of awful though.

Top Bottom