• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I watched The Best of Youth yesterday. One of the best movies I have ever seen and one of the longest. If you have 6(!) hours to kill and enjoy the finer things in life, watch it.

Liberty4all

Banned
Which region has it on instant watch? I wish they'd bring it back to USA instant watch

Canada. seasons 1 - 7 are available right now. We just finished the season where Rita
dies

really enjoying the show, and its a real treat to be able to watch dozens of hours of programming non stop.

jakncoke

Banned
Canada. seasons 1 - 7 are available right now. We just finished the season where Rita
dies

really enjoying the show, and its a real treat to be able to watch dozens of hours of programming non stop.

Damn you Canada! USA hasnt had Dexter since like summer of 2011

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Alright no one's answering in the Roku thread so I'll just ask here. I convinced my mom to get a Roku and consider dropping cable, and she ended up getting a Roku 2 XS. We set it up and got her a free month subscription to netflix, and I start browsing through the netflix app and become appalled after realizing that what I'm seeing really is the extent of the Roku netflix app. It doesn't breakdown the genres (such as documentary sub-genres). It only lists 50 per genre for you to browse through regardless of how many there really are, so there are essentially hundreds of things to choose from that you'd never be able to find by browsing. You can't switch between tv show seasons to browse, you can only scroll through one long list of every episode. Oh, and no reviews. Someone please tell me, am I missing something?

Alright no one's answering in the Roku thread so I'll just ask here. I convinced my mom to get a Roku and consider dropping cable, and she ended up getting a Roku 2 XS. We set it up and got her a free month subscription to netflix, and I start browsing through the netflix app and become appalled after realizing that what I'm seeing really is the extent of the Roku netflix app. It doesn't breakdown the genres (such as documentary sub-genres). It only lists 50 per genre for you to browse through regardless of how many there really are, so there are essentially hundreds of things to choose from that you'd never be able to find by browsing. You can't switch between tv show seasons to browse, you can only scroll through one long list of every episode. Oh, and no reviews. Someone please tell me, am I missing something?

Best I could find when I was thinking about buying a Roku: http://roku.permanence.com/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This can only mean USA must be getting it back soon! I hope :/

Not likely. I believe that Dexter was removed from the US Netflix around the same time Showtime launched their HBO GO-like service, Showtime Anytime, in order to try to get people to subscribe to that instead.

jakncoke

Banned
Not likely. I believe that Dexter was removed from the US Netflix around the same time Showtime launched their HBO GO-like service, Showtime Anytime, in order to try to get people to subscribe to that instead.

Let me have hope! Honestly should just buy the dvd sets and skip the middleman. Bastards.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'll hope too. I've never watched a TV series before and Dexter was one that interested me.

Guess I'll try Breaking Bad.
This is a good and bad idea. It might ruin every other series for you.

FYC

Banned
He probably means a serialized drama on premium cable.

Yeah, this. I've watched stuff like Simpsons and South Park growing up, but never anything like The Wire, Arrested Development, Sorpanos, LOST, 24, etc.

I really want to watch The Wire as of late. For now, Breaking Bad.

I watch anime though

X-Frame

Is it me or have they not added any new anime in the past year? Each time I log in to check for new stuff that might interest me I see the same things, only less (no more Gurren Lagann, Claymore, for example).

I'm watching Samurai Champloo now and enjoying it but after that there isn't anything I'd like.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
When was The Shield on streaming? I've been a member for years and never seen it up. I'm finally watching it on Amazon now that it is up there.

They took No Reservations (Anthony Bourdain) off. Which is one reason why I hate Netflix. They're constantly shuffling their content, pulling and adding. What would be the reaction if Apple started taking random albums off of their iTunes service?

They took No Reservations (Anthony Bourdain) off. Which is one reason why I hate Netflix. They're constantly shuffling their content, pulling and adding. What would be the reaction if Apple started taking random albums off of their iTunes service?

This is a horrible comparison. You aren't buying seasons or shows. Netflix should have a red border or something around boxart that shows it is expiring within a month or something like that.

This is a horrible comparison. You aren't buying seasons or shows. Netflix should have a red border or something around boxart that shows it is expiring within a month or something like that.

A better comparison would be HBO pulling content off of their network even though the subscriber is paying a monthly fee for content. Which they don't do with their on demand content, thank god.

bonesquad

A better comparison would be HBO pulling content off of their network even though the subscriber is paying a monthly fee for content. Which they don't do with their on demand content, thank god.

No, that's still a bad comparison. Netflix licenses most of their content from 3rd party content owners, and that license is only for a given period of time. Netflix doesn't pull content just for the hell of it.

I do agree though it could be made clearer when something is about to expire. It used to be you could look at your "queue" and easily see anything about to expire, but ever since they removed that for your "list" you have to hover over each movie/show to see if it's about to expire in the next 10 days. Annoying is saying it nicely.

Kaladin

So last night I gave Portlandia a shot. The social commentary is more annoying than funny. I only watched the first couple of episodes, does it get better? My favorite part was the first skit in the pilot episode though....the dream of the 90s is alive in Portland.

So last night I gave Portlandia a shot. The social commentary is more annoying than funny. I only watched the first couple of episodes, does it get better? My favorite part was the first skit in the pilot episode though....the dream of the 90s is alive in Portland.

If you don't like it by there I think you should bail out.

The Switch, with Jason Bateman and Jennifer Aniston, is surprisingly charming and well done. I was just going to watch a few minutes of it, because I like Bateman, but I watched the whole damn thing. Really surprised me.

sn00zer

Kinda agree... I saw the entire series and there were only a few sketches that made me chuckle...its like a parody show of hipsters, by hipsters, for hipsters, and I dont mean that in a bad way...I lived in a hisptery town for a while so I get the jokes, they just werent lol funny

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I liked the Portlandia skit about the adult hide and seek club. That's about it.

Agreed. It's an enormous piece of shit. There's a lot of nudity (that's the only reason I wanted to watch it in the first place lol), but it's mostly terrible and the good bits aren't worth sitting through the entire film to see.

I miss understood what movie was about. It was bad. very bad.

My wife and I tried to watch "One For the Money" tonight. We were expecting a bad movie and wanted something to make fun of, but it was so horrible we only made it about ten minutes in.

Then we watched "The Lorax" and thought it was mediocre at best.

Not a good night for movie watching it seems.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No, that's still a bad comparison. Netflix licenses most of their content from 3rd party content owners, and that license is only for a given period of time. Netflix doesn't pull content just for the hell of it.

I do agree though it could be made clearer when something is about to expire. It used to be you could look at your "queue" and easily see anything about to expire, but ever since they removed that for your "list" you have to hover over each movie/show to see if it's about to expire in the next 10 days. Annoying is saying it nicely.

Using the Wii U version earlier tonight it did in fact tell me that Trailer Park Boys was expiring on April 1st before I started the episode.

Kaladin

I never actually saw Medium's finale until tonight.....for such a good series, it had a really bad and cheesy finale. Not as bad as some series though but it wasn't the best episode to go out on.

Actually HBO does that with the 3rd party movies every month. They only have a license for a set amount of time, just like Netflix

Yep, i couldn't stop thinking about what I'd do in a similar situation and would I be able to think more critically/not simply follow what a voice on the end of a phone says/what someone who claims to be in authority says.

I'd like to think I wouldn't, but I'm not so sure how I'd react if I were to suddenly find myself in such a position.

Dreama Walker was great in the role. She completely sold the role of someone who couldn't do anything about her situation, she was utterly powerless in a ever escalating situation.

Ann Dowd too, the ending where she's still in a state of shock/not able to process what she allowed to happen was incredibly well done. The nervous laughing, the attempts to make small talk, anything to not talk about or accept the reality of the situation she had a major hand in.

Yeah those two were particularly good. And the end, was GREAT. Makes me wonder just exactly how much of what happened in the movie happened in real life, like, did that last scene actually happen in real life, and if it did, did it go down as it is portrayed in the film.

Top Bottom