• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Wouwie, they tell you what is expiring two weeks before it does. Not the greatest hint in the world, but, it is better than nothing.

Go to 'my list' and anything expiring soon, will have a date next to it in red.

Now, why something like email notification doesn't exist is another frustrating question entirely.

Also, in Canada, I get a one week warning for movies and a one month warning for TV shows.

About Time (2013) is available on Netflix Netherlands. The film probably belongs to the sci-fi/drama/romance genre. It currently has a 7.8 rating on IMDB and stars Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams and Bill Nighy.

I went into this movie completely blind and was pretty amazed by how good it was.The only reason I stumbled upon it was that someone in an Ex Machina or Black Mirror thread mentioned it. I would definitely recommend seeing it as it might have been the best film I have seen for the past few months.

Spoilers:
The ending hit me pretty hard :( I don't think I have been that misty eyed since I saw Hachiko: A dogs tale

wouwie

Wouwie, they tell you what is expiring two weeks before it does. Not the greatest hint in the world, but, it is better than nothing.

Go to 'my list' and anything expiring soon, will have a date next to it in red.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

But my list is huge at the moment (over 100 items) so it's not ideal (and i would need to check my list continually in order to not miss any getting deleted). Surely this whole thing is database driven so how difficult would it be to extract a list of entries with "expiry date < 4 weeks" and show it in a separate list for the user to browse. Same goes for the "what's added" in the last x number of weeks. I can't imagine it being difficult to extract a list from the database (e.g. Show all entries with "date added" less than x weeks from now) and show it.

Quite frankly, i just don't understand why such basic useful features are missing from Netflix. Since Netflix consists of continually changing content (titles are added and deleted on a daily basis), surely the first features i would offer to my customers is an easy way to discover that content. For me, seeing what's new and what is going to be deleted is far more important than browsing the catalogue for example by genre (drama, horror,..).

tchocky

But my list is huge at the moment (over 100 items) so it's not ideal (and i would need to check my list continually in order to not miss any getting deleted). Surely this whole thing is database driven so how difficult would it be to extract a list of entries with "expiry date < 4 weeks" and show it in a separate list for the user to browse. Same goes for the "what's added" in the last x number of weeks. I can't imagine it being difficult to extract a list from the database (e.g. Show all entries with "date added" less than x weeks from now) and show it.

Quite frankly, i just don't understand why such basic useful features are missing from Netflix. Since Netflix consists of continually changing content (titles are added and deleted on a daily basis), surely the first features i would offer to my customers is an easy way to discover that content. For me, seeing what's new and what is going to be deleted is far more important than browsing the catalogue for example by genre (drama, horror,..).

They don't make a list of what is leaving because they don't want articles like "OMG Netflix are losing loads of shows" because a title can go and be back a few months later.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bill Nye the Science Guy Season 1 (TV, Kids)
In the Bedroom (Indie, Thriller)
Sin-ui Hansu (Drama, Crime, Foreign)
Tinker Bell and the Legend of the Neverbeast (Family)
Wolfy: The Incredible Secret (Family)

Canada:

Life Itself (Documentary, Biographical/Roger Ebert)
Sin-ui Hansu (Drama, Crime, Foreign)
The Homesman (Drama, Western)
Tinker Bell and the Legend of the Neverbeast (Family)

UK:

He Who Dares: Downing Street Siege (Action, Thriller)
Serial Mom (Indie, Comedy)

Germany:

Only God Forgives (Indie, Thriller)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I check the first week and the third weeks of the month.

Anytime there is something I think there is missing, I assume content providers bitched and that is why Netflix doesn't implement. Case in point, there used to be an API that would tell people what was coming soon to the service. Studios made a big stink about it, and Netflix took it away.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for current season shows to turn up on Netflix? Specifically Blacklist Season 2? I know Netflix paid a bunch for each episode, but are they going to show up soon or will it be months down the line?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for current season shows to turn up on Netflix? Specifically Blacklist Season 2? I know Netflix paid a bunch for each episode, but are they going to show up soon or will it be months down the line?

Usually (a week or so) before the next season is set to premiere.

Cade

Is 'The Raid: Redemption' on Netflix?

It's on Netflixes Austria, Belgium, Germany, and Switzerland, but none of these have English subtitles, so they're basically null unless you speak one of the above languages or know where to find The Raid subtitles in .dfxp form.
EDIT: I forgot .dfxp is only used for Netflix's subtitles. You'd have to find the .srt, then use http://subflicks.com/ to convert it over, which doesn't seem hard as I just did it. I'll test it and let you know if it works.

wouwie

Thanks all for the insights into/feedback to my questions.

I never approached it from this angle before, but i assume that Netflix is indeed not super motivated/eager to display a list of content that is going to get removed from their service. However, there might be more discrete ways to inform a viewer that something from their list is going to be removed from the catalogue (e.g. with a message/email alert system).

The main thing i got from the answers here is that the features i mentioned might indeed be easy to implement (apparently both features have been added at some point in the past but got removed again) for Netflix but that there are always more things to consider (e.g. content provides not being happy with certain features,...).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Huh? A few Belgian news sites are reporting that Netflix plans to end region locking and offer the content internationally. The source is gizmodo apparently but I can't find an english article about this anywhere. Anyone who has more info on this? Because it'd be amazing obviously

edit: I found something, but it's like a month old... Anyway I hope this comes to pass

Karu

Huh? A few Belgian news sites are reporting that Netflix plans to end region locking and offer the content internationally. The source is gizmodo apparently but I can't find an english article about this anywhere. Anyone who has more info on this? Because it'd be amazing obviously

edit: I found something, but it's like a month old... Anyway I hope this comes to pass
How is that supposed to work (I know anybody knows this, but seriously... How?)? They can't even show House of Cards S3 here in Germany, lol. Sounds like a pipe dream.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
How is that supposed to work (I know anybody knows this, but seriously... How?)? They can't even show House of Cards S3 here in Germany, lol. Sounds like a pipe dream.

I looked up the source and apparently Hastings wants 'Netflix Global', so the same content everywhere. Yeah... it's nice to want things. Don't see it happening soon either. What sucked is that this big site put up this piece stating it as a fact. Very misleading, the title was pure clickbait.

But why can't you get s3 HoC in Germany? I thought their own stuff was released everywhere simultaneously. Censorship?

Just a heads up, Donovan's Echo is leaving Netflix US in two days. It's decent. If you've thought about checking it out and haven't yet I'd recommend to do it.

REC 4 is also up.

Kaladin

The original is the best one. Second is also good. Third went all over the place. I haven't seen the fourth.

I actually rented the original from Netflix on disc when it first came out. Haven't seen it since though, and whenever I have seen the sequels I've kind of wanted to back and see the original but I've only ever seen 2, 3 and now 4 alone on the service.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just tried it by finding the .srt file, converting it with that site and manually adding it to netflix with the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+T thing. I had to skip forward a bit to where there was dialogue, but it *seemed* to work. PM me if you need any help.

Thanks dude, I think I've got it from here!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I actually rented the original from Netflix on disc when it first came out. Haven't seen it since though, and whenever I have seen the sequels I've kind of wanted to back and see the original but I've only ever seen 2, 3 and now 4 alone on the service.

Me either. I wish it was, it's the best of the bunch. After three I'm not sure if I'm excited for 4 or not. I'll check it out anyways, though.

Seconding this. I'm hoping the fourth is better than the third.

The original is up on Australia. I think it has one of the best atmospheres (among horror films). I might have to re-watch it over the weekend.

But why can't you get s3 HoC in Germany? I thought their own stuff was released everywhere simultaneously. Censorship?

They made a deal with Sky, before Netflix came to Germany, which states that Sky is going to be the first one who can show House of Cards in Germany, atleast for the first 3 season.
So Netflix can't show House of Cards until Sky has aired all Episodes.

berzeli

Banned
I was thinking of making a thread about Netflix's latest acquisition hiding the fact that it is a Kevin James flick for as long as possible, but not worth it.

So yeah; "Netflix Acquires Kevin James Comedy ‘The True Memoirs Of An International Assassin’[Or maybe hit man, the article says that the title is hit man, whatever]"

Sigh, their film projects have so far been underwhelming, with the exception of Beasts of No Nation (and maybe Jadotville). Sure the script was on the Black list but that is no guarantee of quality.

- why can't Netflix give an overview of the last added content (e.g. content added in the last x number of weeks). This seems such an obvious and easy thing to implement so i'm kind of scratching my head as to why we need to rely on 3rd party websites to see what's added?

There is always https://www.netflix.com/NewReleases which is the best overview that Netflix themselves offer, but nothing comparable is available in their apps. I use an app called Upflix (available on android and iOS) which does a better job than netflix actually, but they're a bit slow (like 24h slow not a couple of days slow) with updating at times.

El Topo

They will never (fully) end region locking. It's a pipe dream. They also won't "just" acquire international licenses for everything. Remember Badabook? Came out in German cinemas maybe two weeks ago. So yeah, other than their own stuff (and TV shows), international licenses are simply not going to be the standard. Even regarding TV shows there are quite a few problems and plenty of shows with delays. I think 'The 100' hasn't even gotten to Germany yet.

If I then look at the enormous discrepancy between the US and everyone else...yeah, not gonna happen, unless they drastically cut back on American content (which they can't and won't, unless they've lost their mind). The best thing we can hope for is that Netflix gets rights for TV shows early on, see e.g. Better Call Saul.

kiguel182

They will never (fully) end region locking. It's a pipe dream. They also won't "just" acquire international licenses for everything. Remember Badabook? Came out in German cinemas maybe two weeks ago. So yeah, other than their own stuff (and TV shows), international licenses are simply not going to be the standard. Even regarding TV shows there are quite a few problems and plenty of shows with delays. I think 'The 100' hasn't even gotten to Germany yet.

If I then look at the enormous discrepancy between the US and everyone else...yeah, not gonna happen, unless they drastically cut back on American content (which they can't and won't, unless they've lost their mind). The best thing we can hope for is that Netflix gets rights for TV shows early on, see e.g. Better Call Saul.

I mean region locking will eventually disappear. It's not going to be soon I agree and currently there are too many local deals in place for that to happen.

But we are also moving in that direction and it's just a matter of time. The problem then will be exclusive deals for certain services but that's a different story.

Cade

Thanks dude, I think I've got it from here!

I ended up watching it last night and though my subs didn't sync QUITE right, it was a very fun watch. I'll watch The Raid 2 over the next couple days, and it's on English-speaking Netflixes so it'll have English subs.

El Topo

I mean region locking will eventually disappear. It's not going to be soon I agree and currently there are too many local deals in place for that to happen.

Ignoring general legal problems regarding copyright, intellectual property law, general law (e.g. in Germany regarding certain symbols) and ratings systems, region locking is not going disappear for practical reasons. You'll always have movies with different release dates across the world, often times drawn out over months, because e.g. not every release date works equally well for every area.

The European plans (which have been completely blown out of proportion by certain news outlets) e.g. regarding geo-blocking are not very specific, but rather vaguely aim "to end unjustified geo-blocking".

Kaladin

Watching The Imitation Game (streaming in Mexico). Damn good movie.

A+

I even liked it better than Birdman, which won the Oscar.

kiguel182

Ignoring general legal problems regarding copyright, intellectual property law, general law (e.g. in Germany regarding certain symbols) and ratings systems, region locking is not going disappear for practical reasons. You'll always have movies with different release dates across the world, often times drawn out over months, because e.g. not every release date works equally well for every area.

The European plans (which have been completely blown out of proportion by certain news outlets) e.g. regarding geo-blocking are not very specific, but rather vaguely aim "to end unjustified geo-blocking".

I'm not saying it's going to be soon but it is. I mean, just 10 years back the time it took for TV shows to get here was way large than it is now. And this will be shortened and shortened as time passes.

Game of Thrones premiered in a bunch of places at the same time. This would be impossible just some years back. And the more the internet is used for viewing the easier it will be to have the same content available everywhere.

Of course there can be exceptions but generally it will be non-existent. The efforts to get there are evident if you live outside the US/UK and the signs point for things to keep improving, at least where the EU is concerned.

El Topo

I'm not saying it's going to be soon but it is. I mean, just 10 years back the time it took for TV shows to get here was way large than it is now. And this will be shortened and shortened as time passes.

Game of Thrones premiered in a bunch of places at the same time. This would be impossible just some years back. And the more the internet is used for viewing the easier it will be to have the same content available everywhere.

Of course there can be exceptions but generally it will be non-existent. The efforts to get there are evident if you live outside the US/UK and the signs point for things to keep improving, at least where the EU is concerned.

Fair enough. Who's to say what the world of movies and TV shows will look like in ten years? I don't think it's likely to happen (anytime "soon"), but we'll see. Personally I think copyright differences alone are too much of an issue.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
the more the internet is used for viewing the easier it will be to have the same content available everywhere.

Ease of use is literally the last thing on studios' minds when it comes to distribution - they want the opposite, if anything. Keeping control over the whens and wheres of viewership is priority because it helps to maximize profit.

Your distinction of living outside the US and UK is noteworthy, of course, since the vast majority of media produced comes from these two areas. If global restrictions are going anywhere, it's not happening in my lifetime or yours.

This article (not sure if the link will work since I'm on my phone and it's to a pdf) has a lot of interesting info the peruse.

kiguel182

Fair enough. Who's to say what the world of movies and TV shows will look like in ten years? I don't think it's likely to happen (anytime "soon"), but we'll see. Personally I think copyright differences alone are too much of an issue.

I agree that this issue is a whole big mess that's not easy to solve. But I see it being reduced more and more.

Ease of use is literally the last thing on studios' minds when it comes to distribution - they want the opposite, if anything. Keeping control over the whens and wheres of viewership is priority because it helps to maximize profit.

Your distinction of living outside the US and UK is noteworthy, of course, since the vast majority of media produced comes from these two areas. If global restrictions are going anywhere, it's not happening in my lifetime or yours.

This article (not sure if the link will work since I'm on my phone and it's to a pdf) has a lot of interesting info the peruse.

Ease of use might not be on their minds but given how it's so easy to access region blocked content (either legally or not) it's on their best interest to reduce the reasons people might have to do so.

I've seen clear efforts from TV providers to reduce waiting time from a show premiering on the US and then here. And things have improved immensely in that are. Obviously not for every show but there's an improvement and when major international companies control distribution in several countries it will be easier to provide the same product on every country at once since they'll only deal with 3 or 4 companies at a time instead of every TV provider in every EU country.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

American Dad Season 9 (TV, Comedy, Animation)
Before I Disappear (Indie, Drama)
Girlhood (Drama, Foreign)
La Chambre Bleue (Drama, Foreign)
[REC] 4: Apocalipsis (Horror, Foreign)
Say Ahh... (Romantic, Comedy, Foreign)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Whoa Netflix changed the UI on the PC. Havent checked other platforms.

More on this:

Link.

Old:

sJLiPDU.png

New:

lHorcPS.png

xDwQgS1.png

Top Bottom