• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

lordxar

I just watched the trailer, I'm watching this tonight.

I was surprised it hit Netflix so fast...well somewhat surprised. Watched a Hulu trailer like two or three weeks ago expecting it to be months out but lo and behold it was there on the list a few days ago. Looks like it was in theatres in March so that's not too far off. If you liked how campy Wolfcop was you'll like this.

I'm doing my monthly "watch stuff that's going to expire soon" routine, so I watched Dummy today, in which Adrien Brody plays a socially-awkward ventriloquist. It was surprisingly good. His mother, played by Jessica Walter (Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development) is hilarious.

It kind of has a similar feel to Lars and the Real Girl, but I liked it much more.

I should watch this before it expires.

Futureman

"They Came Together" is pretty dumb but also pretty great if you just want a something silly to laugh at. It's essentially the "Wet Hot" crew but a spoof on romantic comedies.

The Bubby scene was pretty great...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watched Take Shelter, great movie. Amazing performance by Shannon and Chastain. The scene where
Curtis finally tells her everything and she completely breaks down... Touching stuff. The freakout in front of the community was even better
Hadn't even heard of this movie, but it really surprised me.

I think I saw that Jupiter Ascending is in some region now.

I watched it on the plane.

Holy shit, maybe the worst film I've seen in at least five years.

Don't watch it guys. Pure shit tier.

I saw After Earth last week and in comparison that movie should get an Oscar.

I don't know how an eight grader got hired to write for Hollywood but that needs to end.

Everyone said that the movie was terrible but I just had to see for myself.

Well, they were right. The movie is just so, so, so bad. Holy shit. How do you go from The Matrix to this?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Watching The Imitation Game (streaming in Mexico). Damn good movie.

A+

I even liked it better than Birdman, which won the Oscar.

Watched it due to your post, I loved it. Really intriguing stuff. Benedict did an outstanding job. I teared up a bit when
they found out that his brother was going to be on the boat, that was about to be attacked.

Great movie.

Watched Take Shelter, great movie. Amazing performance by Shannon and Chastain. The scene where
Curtis finally tells her everything and she completely breaks down... Touching stuff. The freakout in front of the community was even better
Hadn't even heard of this movie, but it really surprised me.

I thought Michael Shannon was great, but the movie fell flat to me. A mixed bag for sure. There are interesting parts, but I think most of the movie was slow-paced. By the time the ending came around, I stopped caring.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I thought Michael Shannon was great, but the movie fell flat to me. A mixed bag for sure. There are interesting parts, but I think most of the movie was slow-paced. By the time the ending came around, I stopped caring.

I have a weak spot for slow paced drama and this one really managed to create a brooding atmosphere, with Shannon becoming more and more of a wreck. I will say that the ending was probably my least favorite part though.

Yesterday I watched The Grey. I expected a typical 'Neeson being a badass' movie, but what I got was something completely different... in the best way possible. There are a bunch of really gripping and emotional scenes here, I was really surprised how great
most of the death scenes were. The first one in the plane, then Grillo waiting for death, then the drowning scene...
Hard-hitting stuff. Movie was a big surprise, loved it.

They added the second season of The Americans, really should get back to it, dropped it after 4 episodes. The pilot was great, but it didn't manage to grab me after that.

Wag

Parallels was good but what's next, sequel, TV show? Kind of left hanging...

I watched Parallels yesterday and thought it was pretty good too, sort of a Sliders reboot with updated FX. I hope they do more, it really deserves to be a series, maybe a straight to Netflix thing.

Anyways, if you're into sci-fi alternate world stuff, this deserves a watch.

Netflix Wants to Usher in a New Golden Age of Nonfiction TV

As Netflix expands rapidly beyond the US and increasingly develops its own original films and shows, nonfiction is its newest ambition—and it wants to be different. Traditionally, documentaries have targeted niche audiences, defiantly unconcerned with commercial success. They don’t attract nearly as many viewers on the big or small screen as their commercial-minded Hollywood counterparts.

Netflix thinks it can change that dynamic, drawing big audiences to nonfiction fare using the same algorithms and data it’s relied on to engineer hits like House of Cards. In the process, the company aspires to become a paradise for filmmakers by offering big budgets, artistic freedom, and access to a massive audience of subscribers trained to watch what Netflix tells them they’ll like.

I enjoyed Chef's Table, so I'm all for this.

The new Bob Weir documentary "The Other One" is probably the most fascinating and beautiful Rockumentary on a single musician on all of Netflix. I thought I knew all the in's and out's of his story, but there is so much cool stuff that happened in that man's life that it is really a must watch for any fan of music.

lordxar

Just watched Disturbing Behavior. I think I saw it back in the day but was worth another watch. The Faculty was still better though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Love and Honor (Drama)
Northern Borders (Drama)
Richie Rich Season 2 (TV, Family, Netflix Original)
The Boxtrolls (Family)
The FBI Files Season 1 (TV, Documentary)
The Prince (Action, Thriller)
Transporter: The Series Season 1 (TV, Action)
Welcome to the Punch (Action, Thriller)

France:

Horrible Bosses (Comedy)

Germany:

Man of Steel (Action)

Netherlands:

Aladdin (Family, Animation)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
[REC] 4: I went into this blind, not knowing anything other than that it took place on a boat (and only knew this due to the poster). It was okay. Not bad, not good, just ok. It doesn't come close to touching the first two, but it was a bit better than the third one.

The movie doesn't use the found footage camera work. Which, I thought, was a bad move. It turned it into an average horror flick. The atmosphere is also lacking. Very few scares as well. The "twist" (if it was suppose to be one) is dumb and just felt like lazy writing.

The story makes this feel like a real sequel to the second one. Although, it felt they were trying too hard to tie it together.

If you were a big fan of the series, it might be worth checking out. But that is a huge might. I think it is worth skipping and pretending the series stopped after the second one. I doubt I will be checking out the next one, if they make one.

Nyx

Watched Draft Day, think in the UK catalogue.

Surprisingly entertaining, though I'm a sucker for sports movies.
It's no Moneyball but still.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why is The X-Files not on the UK Netflix?

Because your feeble Dr. Who minded folks can't comprehend more serious sci-fi as seen through the eyes of FBI agents Mulder and Scully, of course.

Because Netflix UK hasn't purchased the rights to stream The X-Files in the UK, naturally.

It used to be on there though, I think. I'm sure I can remember seeing it and thinking "I must get round to watching that at some point" and, now that some point is here, it seems to have vanished.

Odd.

Gray Matter

Question, I now have to start paying for Netflix myself since my uncle and his wife no longer use it (he let me use his account).

The $7.99 option doesn't have HD compared to the $8.99 option? Or is it purely based on the internet connection.

tchocky

Question, I now have to start paying for Netflix myself since my uncle and his wife no longer use it (he let me use his account).

The $7.99 option doesn't have HD compared to the $8.99 option? Or is it purely based on the internet connection.

7.99 is sd only
8.99 is hd
11.99 is ultra hd.

kingkitty

So my US Netflix just got rid of the foreign category.

I hope it's just a bug.

edit: Seems like it was just renamed to internacionales....so must be a bug.

hmm the Korean and Japanese sub genres are missing. Gosh darn bugs. Gosh darn Netflix.

Daria

a few episodes into season 5 of Mad Men. it is such a good show, I'm not sure what I'm going to watch as a follow up to this.

lordxar

Thinking about watching Damages, does it has a concrete ending? I'd prefer not to start something that has no resolution.

Yea...kind of lame but yea it ends. I still think the first season was best and subsequent seasons were each a bit worse. Damn near stopped in season 4 but 5 was a bit better. Glad I watched it through but won't be revisiting it.

Slacker

If nothing else, season 1 of Damages is excellent and a complete package on its own. Definitely recommended. Check out Bloodline while you're at it if you haven't already (from the same people).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Before I Go to Sleep (Thriller)
Graceland Season 1-2 (TV, Drama)
Road to the NHL Stadium Series Season 1 (TV, Sports)

UK:

A New Leaf (Romantic, Comedy)
Beauty and the Beast ('87, Family)
Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Foxfire (Drama)
Invasion U.S.A. (Action)
Mermaids (Drama)
Winter People (Drama)

Mexico:

Jennifer's Body (Horror)
The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death (Horror)

Sweden:

Bait (Action, Thriller)
Friday the 13th ('09, Horror, Slasher)
Hotel Transylvania (Family, Animation)
Imagine That (Family)
School Ties (Drama)
You Got Mail (Romantic, Comedy)

Netherlands:

300 (Action)
Ocean's Eleven (Action, Crime)
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (Comedy, Kyle's mom...)
War Horse (Drama)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thinking about watching Damages, does it has a concrete ending? I'd prefer not to start something that has no resolution.

season 1 was legit. i dont recall any of the seasons ending on cliffhangars either? like there are pretty concrete endings to each season. i haven't watched the last two yet though.

also...rose byrne :)

Mimosa97

7.99 is sd only
8.99 is hd
11.99 is ultra hd.

I just noticed that I'm paying 7.99 Ca$ for 2 screens + HD same price as sd but I guess it's because i'm a longtime customer. It says that they'll charge me the same price until may 2016. So basically I'm not paying for ultra hd even though I'm pretty sure that I can stream content in ultra HD when I use my ps3. It says 1080p when I press select and the quality is always great. I never watch netflix on my browser because of the shitty quality.

So what should I do ? Upgrade and start paying 11.99$ ? I don't need 4 screens at once :(

Top Bottom